AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-11-25, 04:26   Link #1761
prnoct90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's odd. Especially considering the very high quality nature of the series dub.

Why do they get such a good dubbed version of the song? Jeez, Im so jealous.
prnoct90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-25, 08:54   Link #1762
Rungelunge

I still can't confirm it but it seems it was the Ukrainian theater the one with the single-voice-actor dub.
Rungelunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 14:01   Link #1763
Scython

Man, I'm really reluctant to buy the DVD/BD if it holds no subtitles. Then again, I wouldn't like it dubbed either, so let's just assume that at some point in time, they will release a subbed version in disc.

For now I'll just buy the OST and the official guide book, which is also in Japanese of course, but hey... 173 pages in full color will most likely have a decent amount of images and art from the movie itself.
Scython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 19:44   Link #1764
brocko

Most original JP anime DVD/BD's seem to be including english subtitles in their releases more often than not now. The last two Haruhi releases, BD's and DVD's of the complete TV series so far came with ENG subs so I'd assume this would hold true for the movie releases as well.(EDIT: Subs will not be on the JP release of the movie as previously thought, see a few posts below) As for the quality of those subs you'll have to get your answer from someone who has a copy... From what i hear though, they're okay at best, a few little errors here and there but still watchable =/

Also most if not all ENG anime releases include both a sub and dub track for you to choose from. If you don't like the dub, then don't touch it (or vice versa for subs too ) lol.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2010-12-01 at 20:06.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 19:48   Link #1765
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Most original JP anime DVD/BD's seem to be including english subtitles in their releases more often than not now. The last two Haruhi releases, BD's and DVD's of the complete TV series so far came with ENG subs so I'd assume this would hold true for the movie releases as well. As for the quality of those subs you'll have to get your answer from someone who has a copy... From what i hear though, they're okay at best, a few little errors here and there but still watchable =/

Also most if not all ENG anime releases include both a sub and dub track for you to choose from. If you don't like the dub, then don't touch it (or vice versa for subs too ) lol.
I am still mad about the time traveler translation that was changed to "future men" or something in the US licensed subtitles of Haruhi. Stupid.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 19:55   Link #1766
brocko

^ Those types of complaints are picky at best and is probably just cause we've watched the fansubs prior, feeling a sense of attachment to whatever we watched first. I have a few little nitpicky complaints like that myself too, but apart from those i don't think there's much wrong with the official ENG released subs =/ (Well except maybe that ugly yellow font haha )

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2010-12-01, 19:57   Link #1767
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

@brocko:
The Japanese BDs/DVDs of Disappearance won't include subtitles and this was confirmed by Kadokawa. Unless they change their mind, the first release with subtitles will be the ones by Manga UK or Bandai.
Old 2010-12-01, 20:03   Link #1768
brocko

^ Thanks for the correction That sure sucks to hear though, but atleast this way our wallets will thank us a little more lol

Old 2010-12-01, 20:19   Link #1769
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Most original JP anime DVD/BD's seem to be including english subtitles in their releases more often than not now.
No, the majority aren't. It is predominantly things with a prior US release.

Quote:
The last two Haruhi releases, BD's and DVD's of the complete TV series so far came with ENG subs
The S2 DVD subs are the same that were on youtube. These were worse than the ones that got S1 complaints. The BD should have the Bandai subs for both seasons although I am not sure about S2 on the BD.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 20:30   Link #1770
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
No, the majority aren't. It is predominantly things with a prior US release..
Yea you're right. I don't know what compelled me to say that but (what i really should've and meant to have said is) I have noticed they're getting a little more common now a days especially with BD releases (Nanoha movie had subs too and I'm sure something else did too if i recall correctly).

Old 2010-12-01, 20:35   Link #1771
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
No, the majority aren't. It is predominantly things with a prior US release.
Agreed, but since this movie already had a English subtitle script already finished for oversea viewing, it's a shame they won't include subtitles.

Quote:
The S2 DVD subs are the same that were on youtube. These were worse than the ones that got S1 complaints. The BD should have the Bandai subs for both seasons although I am not sure about S2 on the BD.
The entire show has the subtitles that Bandai/Bang Zoom produced. None for the bonus features (as to be expected).

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 20:44   Link #1772
Animexcel

I wonder if Bandai will leave out the Yuki/snow subtitle out at the end like what I heard from people who went to the screening. That was a clever idea and they should do the same.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 22:50   Link #1773
ijuinkun

That depends on how intelligent the editor thinks the audience is. If said editor is thinking "viewers are morons", then the editor will not leave it out. In that case, we might get the subtitle "Yuki" with an explanatory line beneath about how "snow is also pronounced yuki". If the editor REALLY isn't paying attention, he/she might miss the double meaning entirely and just think it is "snow".

BTW: I do believe that this is the first time in the story (both chronologically and in order-of-release) that Kyon calls her by her given name with no honorifics (a practice known as "yobisuteru" in Japanese, something reserved only for friends and family and lovers--recall that Haruhi complains about Kyon addressing her that way in the movie because she considers him a total stranger at that point). His calling her by given name instead of surname implies that he feels closer to her than before.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 23:13   Link #1774
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
That depends on how intelligent the editor thinks the audience is. If said editor is thinking "viewers are morons", then the editor will not leave it out. In that case, we might get the subtitle "Yuki" with an explanatory line beneath about how "snow is also pronounced yuki". If the editor REALLY isn't paying attention, he/she might miss the double meaning entirely and just think it is "snow".

BTW: I do believe that this is the first time in the story (both chronologically and in order-of-release) that Kyon calls her by her given name with no honorifics (a practice known as "yobisuteru" in Japanese, something reserved only for friends and family and lovers--recall that Haruhi complains about Kyon addressing her that way in the movie because she considers him a total stranger at that point). His calling her by given name instead of surname implies that he feels closer to her than before.
Uhm, isn't that only in the movie? I thought he still called her Nagato-san in the books.
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 01:29   Link #1775
bayoab

Quote:
Yea, the problem with that... he never calls her by her first name. It is always Nagato.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 14:14   Link #1776
JKM

Will the Japanese BD of the movie be region-free? (I live in Europe)
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 14:45   Link #1777
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM View Post
Will the Japanese BD of the movie be region-free? (I live in Europe)
I asked about that regarding another series over on Mania.com, and according to them, Japanese BluRays are pretty much always region-free. But even if it isn't, I seem to recall hearing that the movie has been licensed for an eventual UK release too, so there will be a Region B release eventually.
Old 2010-12-14, 05:28   Link #1778
ijuinkun

Is there a global standard for 720p or 1080p? Or are there still separate formats for the formerly-NTSC and PAL regions?
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 11:19   Link #1779
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Is there a global standard for 720p or 1080p? Or are there still separate formats for the formerly-NTSC and PAL regions?
While I can't speak to separate formats existing, the difference between 720p and 1080p is merely a question of resolution. If you have a TV that handles 1080p, then it can handle 720p, while I don't know how 720p TVs handle 1080p content. If there remains a difference in format, it has nothing to do with the pixel counts.
Old 2010-12-14, 17:18   Link #1780
JKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
..., so there will be a Region B release eventually.
Yes I read that it will be released in "summer 2011". How long is summer in the UK ?

But I am tired of waiting. And I am tempted to buy one of those special editions from Japan,
maybe that AmiAmi bundle with the jigsaw puzzle.
Does anyone know how this is packaged? Is this a simple bundle with the BD and a separately packaged puzzle
or is this one box with the puzzle and BD both in it?
JKM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, shounen