AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-12-14, 18:06   Link #1781
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM View Post
Yes I read that it will be released in "summer 2011". How long is summer in the UK ?

But I am tired of waiting. And I am tempted to buy one of those special editions from Japan,
maybe that AmiAmi bundle with the jigsaw puzzle.
Does anyone know how this is packaged? Is this a simple bundle with the BD and a separately packaged puzzle
or is this one box with the puzzle and BD both in it?
They will be packaged together in one shipment. The store bonus will be a separate item from the DVD/BD with each having their own packaging, but packaged in the same shipping box that will leave Japan.
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 18:47   Link #1782
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Is there a global standard for 720p or 1080p? Or are there still separate formats for the formerly-NTSC and PAL regions?
There is only one global standard. The only potential difference is the framerate, but your Blu-Ray Player will take care of doing whatever conversions are required to play on your TV.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 20:30   Link #1783
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
There is only one global standard. The only potential difference is the framerate, but your Blu-Ray Player will take care of doing whatever conversions are required to play on your TV.
Well, the RESOLUTION is region-free, but there are still three separate regions that the discs and players fall into.
__________________
Gamer_2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 20:56   Link #1784
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Well, the RESOLUTION is region-free, but there are still three separate regions that the discs and players fall into.
Yes, understood, but Kadokawa's Blu-Ray releases are Region-Free, so that isn't an issue here either. It was a question about formats (such as NTSC vs. PAL), not about regions (as we also had with DVD, but in a different layout).
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 00:54   Link #1785
ijuinkun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Yeah, I was wondering if there was some kind of encoding difference like we had with the NTSC/PAL/SECAM split in the analogue TV era, or whether HDTV is a unified global standard such that you could take an American TV set to France or Germany or Britain and receive a picture the same as in America.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 11:41   Link #1786
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Elkia
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Yeah, I was wondering if there was some kind of encoding difference like we had with the NTSC/PAL/SECAM split in the analogue TV era, or whether HDTV is a unified global standard such that you could take an American TV set to France or Germany or Britain and receive a picture the same as in America.
Pretty sure it's all the same, but for BluRay region codes. The two important differences between PAL and NTSC were resolution (720x576 and 720x480 for DVDs respectively) and framerate (25 and 30 respectively). Since with BluRay HD output 720p is always defined as 1280x720 and 1080p is always defined as 1920x1080, and framerate is more a matter of the source (the file on the disc) than the output (since there are 60Hz, 120Hz, etc. TVs), region shouldn't matter.

Now as for HD broadcasts, that's a different story. The US and Canada use ATSC, while the rest of the world uses different formats.
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 23:36   Link #1787
ijuinkun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Well, it's not the framerate or resolution that's the issue--it's the encoding and software standards. For example, standard DVD uses MPEG-2 file formats running on top of various operating systems--so in other words, would an "American" BD-player be able to decode a "European" disk, or would it complain of an invalid file format or whatever?
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 00:39   Link #1788
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Well, it's not the framerate or resolution that's the issue--it's the encoding and software standards. For example, standard DVD uses MPEG-2 file formats running on top of various operating systems--so in other words, would an "American" BD-player be able to decode a "European" disk, or would it complain of an invalid file format or whatever?
Huh? No no... that doesn't make any difference. The Blu-Ray format, just like the DVD format, is a global standard. The issue has always been resolution and framerates. PAL TVs operated at a different resolution and framerate than NTSC TVs, hence the incompatibility. But with HDTV, the resolution issues are resolved (720p and 1080i/p are standardized), and the only issue possible (aside from region coding) is the framerate. Some content in PAL regions is still shot at 50 fps interlaced (or 25 fps progressive) and not all NTSC region TVs and/or Blu-Ray Players can handle that framerate directly (most don't care, though). That won't be an issue at all here because it'll either be encoded at 24p or 60i, and all Blu-Ray Players/HDTVs support those (if it doesn't support 24p directly, the player will switch to 60i, which will work). But no matter what, all Blu-Ray players around the world support the three possible encoding standards (MPEG-2, H.264, or VC-1) so there's no chance of software incompatibility.

So bottom line: no, there's no problem. The Japanese Disappearance Movie Blu-Ray will work fine no matter where in the world you live.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 03:36   Link #1789
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Age: 30
2 days left.
__________________

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 08:47   Link #1790
Aqua Knight
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha_Trueno View Post
2 days left.
DVD comes out on 18th?

I though it was like 28th...Well then it is good
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 12:55   Link #1791
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Berlin, Fatherland
A taste of Blu Ray...
__________________
Takamura Mamoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 14:35   Link #1792
Aqua Knight
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 21
You mean it's bad?
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 15:25   Link #1793
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
You mean you got yours already??
__________________
Gamer_2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 15:26   Link #1794
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
You mean you got yours already??
Leaked image, probably.
__________________
Badass.
spawnofthejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 15:43   Link #1795
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Leaked image, probably.
Yeah, that's what I assumed, but I was hoping to be proven wrong.
__________________
Gamer_2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 16:34   Link #1796
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Yeah, that's what I assumed, but I was hoping to be proven wrong.
Well, my copy shipped from Amazon yesterday (to arrive tomorrow), so it isn't improbable at all that people in Japan or closer to it could be receiving it already.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 17:40   Link #1797
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, my copy shipped from Amazon yesterday (to arrive tomorrow), so it isn't improbable at all that people in Japan or closer to it could be receiving it already.
Looks like it.

Can't find any pictures from inside Akiba like the Nanoha movie's Mountain of Nanoha yet though.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 18:03   Link #1798
konart
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Moscow, RU
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to konart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's odd. Especially considering the very high quality nature of the series dub.

Speed sub was only for cinema premiere. DVD release will be as good as the series.(I hope)
__________________
Signature removed. Please check the forum signature rules before trying to upload another one. If you have questions, feel free to contact a mod through PM.
konart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 23:39   Link #1799
ijuinkun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Huh? No no... that doesn't make any difference. The Blu-Ray format, just like the DVD format, is a global standard. The issue has always been resolution and framerates. PAL TVs operated at a different resolution and framerate than NTSC TVs, hence the incompatibility. But with HDTV, the resolution issues are resolved (720p and 1080i/p are standardized), and the only issue possible (aside from region coding) is the framerate. Some content in PAL regions is still shot at 50 fps interlaced (or 25 fps progressive) and not all NTSC region TVs and/or Blu-Ray Players can handle that framerate directly (most don't care, though). That won't be an issue at all here because it'll either be encoded at 24p or 60i, and all Blu-Ray Players/HDTVs support those (if it doesn't support 24p directly, the player will switch to 60i, which will work). But no matter what, all Blu-Ray players around the world support the three possible encoding standards (MPEG-2, H.264, or VC-1) so there's no chance of software incompatibility.
Ok, I hadn't really understood that because I knew that for television bradcast, NTSC and PAL used different encoding methods (IIRC PAL used a red-green-blue three-channel plus sound standard while NTSC used one channel for the monochrome equivalent while the two other channels intermixed with it to create the color), so I wondered if that encoding difference carried over to DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki
DVD comes out on 18th?
I though it was like 28th...Well then it is good
Well, December 18th is a significant date for the Disappearance story.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 23:14   Link #1800
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
If anyone is interested, you can see parts of the 2ch thread listing the changes, the store special items, and a secret special here. (Secret special, store specials, changes, other is the order as you scroll down. Too much moon to translate.)

And I have no idea which thread to throw this in but let's use here. The usual antics are going on with the website. Screenshot summary here. The current hidden message is "Why are you here?"
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
science fiction, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.