AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-11-12, 08:51   Link #21
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
No one mentioned LaCie ? What's wrong with LaCie ? I've been using them for three years now. At beginning of my anime career I had one 250GB drive, then bought one 500GB and later 1TB drive. The 250GB failed about 6 months ago, but it is uncertain wether it was the HD's fault itself or an electric spike from the wall. ( My monitor and PC died too so.. )

They don't have this fancy stuff like auto backup or whatever that you've mentioned, and for me they work pretty well + are quite small with simple design. I suppose they're quite durable too, as the 500GB one has fell on the floor thrice from 1,5 metres and has suffered no damage.

Also I thought LaCie is pretty cheap ? Here in Finland atleast, it's the cheapest choice while WD or some others cost much more.
Old 2009-11-12, 10:20   Link #22
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I have an 1TB external HDD from LaCie for uhhh 1 year I guess and it works perfectly fine. Costed me around ~CHF200 which is +-$190. There were others but I dont remember their price, though if my memory is not wrong they were more expensive.

So far I have no complaints about LaCie. Used an 100GB and a 500GB external HDD before from other producers and they all work fine for me, though they are not that old either (around 2-2.5 years).
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 22:32   Link #23
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Hmm recently, my external HD transfer rate has been slowing down. I have a 1TB WD My Book, which I bought about an year ago. Initially, the speeds were around 20 mbps, but for a few months now, its been usually 5-10 mbps (on rare occasions it goes back up to 20 mbps). When transferring, I can hear those 'busy/working' noises, and when I first got the HD, it was continuous but now, it pauses sometimes/not continuous. Could it be because of space left in the HD? About 60% is filled.

Btw, the transfer rates are all for anime transferring, so its not a problem of file size (like bulk image transfer is usually a lot slower)
Old 2009-11-15, 23:18   Link #24
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
Hmm recently, my external HD transfer rate has been slowing down. I have a 1TB WD My Book, which I bought about an year ago. Initially, the speeds were around 20 mbps, but for a few months now, its been usually 5-10 mbps (on rare occasions it goes back up to 20 mbps). When transferring, I can hear those 'busy/working' noises, and when I first got the HD, it was continuous but now, it pauses sometimes/not continuous. Could it be because of space left in the HD? About 60% is filled.

Btw, the transfer rates are all for anime transferring, so its not a problem of file size (like bulk image transfer is usually a lot slower)
This may be caused by the SATA to USB controller, not the HD. Most of these prebuilt drives come with cheap and crappy SATA to USB controllers that don't last long. The best bet is to take the HD out of the case and put it into a different enclosure. If you have a eSATA or Firewire 800 connection, these transfer rates will be alot higher.
Old 2009-11-17, 09:35   Link #25
npcomplete

You can also check how fragmented your drive is.

Use HD Tach to measure simple sequential read transfer rate (not achievable for small or fragmented files btw).

And you're not doing other things at the same time right? Like running torrents.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote