AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2011-03-07, 03:49   Link #1
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

At the Arcades! ...... The end of an era?

Just recently, the last arcade place in my area closed down for good.

As an old gamer, I spent a lot of time in my younger days playing at the arcades, and I can't help but feel nostalgic now that all the places I used to visit are gone.

How are arcades holding out were you live? I don't think the situation is as bad everywhere as it is around here, but I am still a bit curious to know.
Old 2011-03-07, 04:41   Link #2
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Ours got shut down years ago...like, in 2007 or something, last arcade I knew turned into a new club...after that, the age of internet cafes came to town, and it's been like that ever since.
Old 2011-03-07, 05:37   Link #3
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The Netherlands never had much in the way of arcades to begin with, and what we did have did not last long. Most of my experience with arcades comes from outside of my country.
Old 2011-03-07, 06:44   Link #4
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Ours got shut down years ago...like, in 2007 or something, last arcade I knew turned into a new club...after that, the age of internet cafes came to town, and it's been like that ever since.
Yes, it was a slow and painful death for arcades around here. Fighting games keep things going for a few years, but this also killed the variety of games you could play in most places. Once fighting game fans moved to consoles and online play, it was pretty much game over for arcades here.

The King of Fighters series was pretty popular around here; Being KoF 98 the most popular among them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
The Netherlands never had much in the way of arcades to begin with, and what we did have did not last long. Most of my experience with arcades comes from outside of my country.
I remember them as far back as the Atari days.
Old 2011-03-07, 06:53   Link #5
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

We have an internet cafe here in every damn street corner. Arcades are actually still a big thing, but it's only a matter of time before they too die.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 07:26   Link #6
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I've never been much of an arcade-goer tbh, but I'm starting to wish that I had been back in the day. The main reason for it, tho, is that Sicily doesn't have much in terms of arcades and never really has. I can't speak for the rest of Italy tho. The other places I've been to had arcades, certainly, but I was never really allowed to go out on my own when I was in the US (too young) or Saudi (lived in a compound) and my parents didn't like me going to such places to begin with. Fortunately, there is an arcade now near my birthtown in Sicily and it's really nice. I hope it doesn't die anytime soon because I really like it. It is rather unfortunate however that they're being replaced by clubs or inet cafès. Online gaming became much more popular now after all.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 07:31   Link #7
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan

Arcades have been dead in this area since the early 2000s. There's a group of fighting game fans that meet regularly at the University though and they sometimes set up rooms full of consoles with all the fighting classics. Anyone can jump in at any time. Keeps some of the old arcade spirit alive at least.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 08:39   Link #8
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Arcades have been dead in this area since the early 2000s. There's a group of fighting game fans that meet regularly at the University though and they sometimes set up rooms full of consoles with all the fighting classics. Anyone can jump in at any time. Keeps some of the old arcade spirit alive at least.
Do you also use those arcade controllers for the consoles?
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 08:55   Link #9
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Do you also use those arcade controllers for the consoles?
Most of the serious guys do, I tried but it was pretty tough to get used to in a competitive setting. I've considered buying one and practicing on my own time but it's a pretty big investment and I'm not sure how serious I want to be with it.
Old 2011-03-07, 09:12   Link #10
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

The only other place other than the library that I go to in my middle school days is the arcade. I can say that I can play every single kind of game in the arcade, other than fighting games and racing games (which I rarely play because they aren't as appealing or challenging).

DDR? IIDX? GFDM? Time Crisis? World Combat? Virtua Cop? No sweat : just pop a couple of coins in and I'll blaze the way for you. If my memory has yet to fail me, I can still remember where all the secret life-ups/weapons and the burst-rhythm zones are.

But the arcade is pretty much a dead zone. Lots of empty machines : the only games I see people playing nowadays are shooting games or something from the Bemani franchise (heck they make great songs too!). And prices are rising : each game now cost above $2 as compared to $1 - $1.50 in the past, and most of the older arcades are filled with old games.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 09:22   Link #11
Gault
inc_mplete

Arcades in Sydney are still going strong
Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 10:24   Link #12
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I remember them as far back as the Atari days.
Arcades in the Netherlands failed for two reasons. One, they were generally twice as expensive than their counterparts outside the country, and two, the Dutch being the cheapskate merchants that we are realized that buying games had a better cost to fun/profit ratio much sooner then most other countries did, so we dropped Arcades like a brick and just went for home consoles and PC's.
Old 2011-03-07, 10:32   Link #13
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Arcades in the Netherlands failed for two reasons. One, they were generally twice as expensive than their counterparts outside the country, and two, the Dutch being the cheapskate merchants that we are realized that buying games had a better cost to fun/profit ratio much sooner then most other countries did, so we dropped Arcades like a brick and just went for home consoles and PC's.
I thought the Dutch otakus went for maid-themed eroge and galges, in order to keep true to their tradition of Dutch maids.

And the Japanese even delivered Holstein cow milks to their ojous in the stories they write. Genius marketing!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-03-07, 10:33   Link #14
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
DDR? IIDX? GFDM? Time Crisis? World Combat? Virtua Cop? No sweat : just pop a couple of coins in and I'll blaze the way for you. If my memory has yet to fail me, I can still remember where all the secret life-ups/weapons and the burst-rhythm zones are.
Time Crisis. Man did I love that series. The console ports definitely can't substitute for the arcade experience here. I played Crisis Zone so many times that I memorized all the enemy patterns and could beat the game up till the end boss without getting hit once. I should look into buying an arcade cabinet for one of these games, it'd be worth it.
Old 2011-03-07, 10:43   Link #15
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I thought the Dutch otakus went for maid-themed eroge and galges, in order to keep true to their tradition of Dutch maids.

And the Japanese even delivered Holstein cow milks to their ojous in the stories they write. Genius marketing!
The Dutch anime market is, sadly, rather slim.

But yeah, we do have Dutch maids.
Old 2011-03-07, 10:50   Link #16
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Time Crisis. Man did I love that series. The console ports definitely can't substitute for the arcade experience here. I played Crisis Zone so many times that I memorized all the enemy patterns and could beat the game up till the end boss without getting hit once. I should look into buying an arcade cabinet for one of these games, it'd be worth it.
Not getting hit once is easy. Score maximisation is the difficult part : chaining up to 489 combo and without breaking requires lots of patience enough to drive you nuts.

Interestingly though, for 2 and 4, the place where you can get the most points is the 2nd bossfight, and in 4, you get over a million points if you chain every shot on the 2nd boss without breaking.

Did you play all up till 4? Other than 1 and 3, I can get over 3m score.

Quote:
Darn you lucky Dutch perverts!

Old 2011-03-07, 11:19   Link #17
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan

Quote:
Not getting hit once is easy. Score maximisation is the difficult part : chaining up to 489 combo and without breaking requires lots of patience enough to drive you nuts.

Interestingly though, for 2 and 4, the place where you can get the most points is the 2nd bossfight, and in 4, you get over a million points if you chain every shot on the 2nd boss without breaking.

Did you play all up till 4? Other than 1 and 3, I can get over 3m score.
Yeah I played all of them, though 3 only once and 4 was on PS3, not the arcade. As for the rest, no comment - I was apparently a scrub casual who never paid attention to scoring or combos so I have nothing to compare with you.
Old 2011-03-07, 11:28   Link #18
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Yeah I played all of them, though 3 only once and 4 was on PS3, not the arcade. As for the rest, no comment - I was apparently a scrub casual who never paid attention to scoring or combos so I have nothing to compare with you.
Well it all started with this one punk at the arcade who is showing off to some girls. Then another casual who plays TC2 alot in the same arcade (I didn't talk much to him) decides to go up and challenge him, trashing him on a 2P mode with 4x the score.

I asked him to teach me how to play : and he taught me something called "don't just look for ways to avoid getting hit, look for scoring opportunities and you'll never get hit again". Took me quite sometime to figure out that what he meant is to count your shots so you never pull the trigger and hear a click, thus breaking your combo.

I developed one trick myself called triangling which is pretty consistent in most TC games : look for enemies that are going to shoot you, 3x the first one, and the second one will ALWAYS be either at the higher part of the screen or bottom, so the last one is pretty obvious where is he going to pop out from, either the left or the right. Better than memorising all the enemies which is a waste of brainspace.

Old 2011-03-07, 11:50   Link #19
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Arcades were never really strong here. I don't think they were strong anywhere in Europe, at least compared to overseas.

Haven't seen one since the 00s started. A relic of better times of gaming, and life in general.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-07, 11:58   Link #20
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan

Quote:
Well it all started with this one punk at the arcade who is showing off to some girls. Then another casual who plays TC2 alot in the same arcade (I didn't talk much to him) decides to go up and challenge him, trashing him on a 2P mode with 4x the score.

I asked him to teach me how to play : and he taught me something called "don't just look for ways to avoid getting hit, look for scoring opportunities and you'll never get hit again". Took me quite sometime to figure out that what he meant is to count your shots so you never pull the trigger and hear a click, thus breaking your combo.

I developed one trick myself called triangling which is pretty consistent in most TC games : look for enemies that are going to shoot you, 3x the first one, and the second one will ALWAYS be either at the higher part of the screen or bottom, so the last one is pretty obvious where is he going to pop out from, either the left or the right. Better than memorising all the enemies which is a waste of brainspace.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I ever get a chance to play any of those games again. Not sure when that will be though as there's only one place within an hour drive of here that might have even one of them, and it's a sports bar more than an arcade so it won't really have that same crowd and feeling of competition. There's a bunch of malls in the area, one in particular is huge, they all used to have arcades, said arcades have all been shut down. Sad really.

(As for memorizing the enemies, that wasn't actually an intentional strategy, it just kinda happened on its own because I played the game that many times.)

Also - showing off at arcade games impresses girls? I'm living in the wrong area.