AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Darker Than Black

View Poll Results: Darker Than Black - Episode 03 Rating
Perfect 10 35 27.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 38.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 25.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.34%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.56%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.78%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.78%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-24, 23:17   Link #201
Strange
Incoherent at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwei View Post
Well, that raises up a question. Is Shion really her twin brother or is it just her imagination? Take example Afro and Ninja Ninja from Afro Samurai - maybe it's a similar situation?

I also don't know what to think about what Hei said. I'm not sure if he wants to kill Yin (if she's alive) or the woman that kidnapped/killed her.
Yeah, I've wondered about that as well. It really depends on whether April/Bella actually ever saw Shion, or if she was just going along, or believed, Suou's fantasy, which her father humored by going along with it.

It's certainly interesting if Shion's just her imagination, or somehow inside her--although that would take the Hei/Suou comparison a little too far, having dead siblings inside them.
Old 2009-10-25, 00:05   Link #202
necrosis6

I'm of the opinion if shion is in fact not real, then it was a contractor ability of Suou which somehow materialized a fake brother. If he isn't real, then maybe that's why he could talk into her mind. After all, we see his room full of cranes. Maybe the real reason Suou was making them was to pay her renumeration and just didn't know it. If Suou hasn't lost herself to being completely logical like a contractor, then it could be possible.
Old 2009-10-25, 00:30   Link #203
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
What a great episode lots of action and lots more questions to be answered. Its seems contractors are coming out of the woodwork all vying for the same thing for their respective sides.

Now we must wonder if Hei has really lost his powers i dont think he has i believe they are sealed more specifically sealed in that medallion. I dont believe that trap was intended for this purpose but the medallion when crossed with this weird beams caused some type of feedback transference. We have no idea how some incidents or weapons will affect Hei especially since technically the powers hes using are his sisters. Hei is obviously not the tactic type of guy because the whole sneak on the train bit failed miserably however, we got some nice action out of it. I especially liked the ram him with a train then blow up it and pray i get him. You might not have killed Hei but you let every single military and police officer in town know something was up.

I am torn on the Suou sailor moon thing the time for a transformation, showing the gun coming out of the necklace would have sufficed. was not needed . We all knew the ATR was coming and the scenes afterward were decently done. Tanya is freaking lucky she was only knocked unconscious by the concussion force from the rifle. If it would have hit her lets just say it would have been a cheap funeral. Speaking of Tanya i cant help but to think she got some generic power. Controlling insects i guess that could come in handy. Im wondering if Nika survived that last bug attack if he did hes going to need some heavy time for recovery. Everyone she managed to shoot at avoided major damage even Shizume need a shield to absorb the impact.

This new woman with the twins looks like she knows some pretty juicy info and she has those twins whatever their powers at her disposal and she seems to know Hei as well. Im not sure if Shion actually exist or not not in the true sense of the word. Also, if Suou really is a contractor is unlike any we have ever seen before. I think she is a temporary contractor because of the medallion. The medallion or whatever is locked inside of it is lending her its powers to stay alive long enough to complete some type of mission its also guiding her. But she still needs to do the remuneration so even if its temporary this important step must still take place.

An ally from the past comments on Hei's drinking damn he looks rough. This waiting for what happen to Yin is killing and im damn sure Hei was not talking Yin when mentioned killing that woman.

Last edited by Sinestra; 2009-10-25 at 00:45.
Old 2009-10-25, 01:12   Link #204
anomono

Since no one has mentioned it so far, there was a family picture showing Suou and Shion together. If any of these theories pan out, it must be a really elaborate setup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
She can probably pull other people's hair out as payment; just was not convenient at the time.
I thought this was highly amusing...
Old 2009-10-25, 01:17   Link #205
Kaoru Chujo
Sakura Ayane

1. Personally, the Japanese words and the way he said them, as well as Petya/Mao's reaction, make me think that Hei meant he would kill Yin. I just relistened, and I'm even more convinced now. But I guess we will find out.

The words are: "Yin wo... ano onna wo... korosu." This is: "Yin (object of sentence)... that woman (object of sentence)... kill." I had thought it might mean that he would kill the woman that did something to Yin. But the emphasis he gives various words make it sound clearly to me that he means Yin is "that woman." Petya's shock also fits better with it being Yin, it seems to me. Like I say, we'll eventually find out one way or the other.

Putting that in the context of his vision/dream, it seems possible that Yin killed all those people around and/or was doing something she felt she couldn't avoid doing, but that Hei couldn't accept. Forced to by contractor logic? Forced to by someone else? Don't know. In any case, she was weeping either at having done it or at having to say goodbye to Hei.

2. Another bit of the sub seems to me, not wrong, but at least not certain. In the cabin, when Hei says "You saved me," he actually just says, "Omae wa...ore wo...," which means, "You (subject of sentence)...me (object of sentence)...," not specifying what she did to him. He might be referring to her saving him, or else to her leading him into the trap, it seems to me. By the end, when he releases her, he has decided she is not an enemy, it appears.

3. Even though I don't feel the same way, I can sympathize with the people who are put off by the magical girl scene, etc. This wouldn't be the first time an anime tried to expand the range of its viewership and ended up losing some of its original audience.
SAKURA Ayane 佐倉綾音 age 20. Dream Eater Merry; Hotarubi no Mori e (movie) Hotaru; Joshiraku Buratei Marii; NakaImo Miyabi; Kokoro Connect Yui's sister; Vividred Operation Akane; Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki (movie) Ladylee; Aiura Mei; Love Lab "Eno"; il sole penetra le illusioni Fuyuna; Eccentric Family Kaisei; High School DxD New Gaspard; Kimi no Iru Machi Asuka; Non Non Biyori Natsumi; Tokyo Ravens Suzuka; Engaged to the Unidentified Nadeshiko; Pretty Rhythm All Star Selection: Prism Show Best Ten (movie) Ayami, Rinne; Selector Infected Wixoss Yuzuki; Dragonar Academy Silvia; Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? Kokoa; Knights of Sidonia Mozuku.
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2014 previews | spring 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Nobunaga the Fool | Nisekoi | Wixoss | Isshuukan Friends | Brynhildr in the Darkness | Kanojo ga Flag wo Oretara | Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to | Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san | Soul Eater Not | No Game, No Life | Is the Order a Rabbit? | Nanana's Buried Treasure | Mekakucity Actors | Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou | Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii
Old 2009-10-25, 01:23   Link #206
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomono View Post
Since no one has mentioned it so far, there was a family picture showing Suou and Shion together. If any of these theories pan out, it must be a really elaborate setup...
Which picture? Is Shion bandaged in it? If not, maybe Shion could have died when the meteors crashed in the prologue.
Old 2009-10-25, 02:06   Link #207
anomono

It was shown a couple times at least, but it does seem that it was before the incident. (First at ~11:18 in ep1) However, perhaps the best argument against the theory is the title of the anime itself.

To be honest, while I find the speculation interesting, I do not want the show to go that way. It is never done well.

There is another thing which has gone unmentioned. At the very beginning, in the meteor crash scene, we see Shion looking up at a blurry glowing blue figure, which he identifies as Suou. I don't know what to say about that, but it may be related somehow.

Last edited by anomono; 2009-10-25 at 02:25. Reason: Added specific time
Old 2009-10-25, 02:46   Link #208
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
You guys have to remember. BK201 was always his sister. He was using his sisters powers that's why he never had a remuneration. The star disappeared meaning for the time being he can't use his powers. Maybe next time he does BK201 will be Hei and not Bai.
Old 2009-10-25, 04:41   Link #209
metamorphic
ことわり
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Putting that in the context of his vision/dream, it seems possible that Yin killed all those people around and/or was doing something she felt she couldn't avoid doing, but that Hei couldn't accept. Forced to by contractor logic? Forced to by someone else? Don't know.
This seems highly unlikely, as Yin's primary role as a Doll (remember, she's not a contractor) was simply to "observe"/"survey" (similar to July) and she was rather harmless in the first season - in fact, she was quite an easy target for the Syndicate's enemies. So, as she cannot possess contractor powers, or powers that would enable her to kill, how could she possibly kill anyone? Also, remember, both Hei and Yin betrayed the Syndicate at the end of the previous season. It therefore seems far more plausible that someone, either former members of the Syndicate or some other shadowy group, did something to harm her - this, I feel, is the woman Hei and Mao had referred to earlier.
Old 2009-10-25, 04:46   Link #210
Mr. Anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Um, that's exactly what I've been saying. Several times. Are people here only reading half of what I type?......

*sigh* Like I said, we'll have to wait for next week for them to paint a picture for people to get it, I guess.
Oh i am sry then. I had the impression that u tried to persuade the people who thought hei doesnt want to kill yin to think that he does^^. Well if thats not the case ... good because u r right, the sentence "yin wo... anno onna wa korosu" (or sentences like that) often appear in anime to create some suspense, but the protagonist wouldnt kill one of his most precious persons (unless he is yagami light maybe^^) and as a full-fledged anime-watcher i can assure u guys of that (lets say 99.9% sometimes animes take a nasty twist^^)
Old 2009-10-25, 05:58   Link #211
Joe_fh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anime View Post
Oh i am sry then. I had the impression that u tried to persuade the people who thought hei doesnt want to kill yin to think that he does^^. Well if thats not the case ... good because u r right, the sentence "yin wo... anno onna wa korosu" (or sentences like that) often appear in anime to create some suspense, but the protagonist wouldnt kill one of his most precious persons (unless he is yagami light maybe^^) and as a full-fledged anime-watcher i can assure u guys of that (lets say 99.9% sometimes animes take a nasty twist^^)
Yep you're right. It's like when somone says "when I come back we'll (insert thing here)" and goes off to a battle or he is sick...most of the time that results in one of the two characters dying
I also think the phrase was there to create pore suspense. Will see what this will lead to.

About Shion and Suou being one and the same - I highly doubt that. Tanaya said she never saw Shoin but come on he was locked in a room which you could say didn't look like it had a door, he was in a wheelchair and half his head was badaged. Plus he was considered dangerous so his father locked him in that room. It's only natural for other people not to see him.

And they're looking for a boy. Even if Suou's other personality is Shion I don't see her changing gender. That would be just too much.

So anyone else interested in the thing I said about August 7 and Suou?
On another note I finally think I understood how Hei took him out
Old 2009-10-25, 06:30   Link #212
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anime View Post
Well just to make what I meant clear, I am convinced Hei said he'll kill Yin........but I don't believe he truly wants to.
Old 2009-10-25, 10:08   Link #213
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Right. I believe that Suou is being setup. Suou only has that one photo and the books from Japan that she buys to identify the female in the photo as "mother". "Mother" apparently took a picture of Hell's Gate.

Another wild idea.

Suou's power materializes things when she is stressed big time. Maybe she created her father and Shion. (Izanagi was created by another deity.) The incident happened 2 years ago during a hunting trip. Where was Shion when the other 2 were deer hunting? If Tanya has known Suou for longer than 2 years then Tanya might have a point. Someone prior to the incident should know about the brother. A school, clinic vaccination records, birth records etc.

The kid isn't in public school and even home schooling requires exams.

"Mother" is a way to get Suou focused on Hell's Gate. Shion is a way to get her there.
Old 2009-10-25, 10:21   Link #214
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Then again, Shion's a contractor. Hei put some holes into the secrecy of their existence in S1, but there's still some brain-washing going on to protect it. For example, see how Suou herself was erased from her friend's mind. No doubt her school records and so on disappeared, too.
Old 2009-10-25, 14:09   Link #215
yura`

Quote:
....There is another thing which has gone unmentioned. At the very beginning, in the meteor crash scene, we see Shion looking up at a blurry glowing blue figure, which he identifies as Suou. I don't know what to say about that, but it may be related somehow.
That got my attention too when I rewatched the first episode... it's intriguing, especially with the whole twin factor played in. But that scene in itself opens up another dimension of possibilities and uncertainties regarding the mystery surrounding Shion and Suou, and it makes me wonder who became the contractor in the first place, etc.

After finishing the third episode, I'm half thinking that maybe I should wait till the season finishes so I can marathon it without having to wait each week for the next episode.
Old 2009-10-25, 14:13   Link #216
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Then again, Shion's a contractor. Hei put some holes into the secrecy of their existence in S1, but there's still some brain-washing going on to protect it. For example, see how Suou herself was erased from her friend's mind. No doubt her school records and so on disappeared, too.
But the government didn't know about Shion before the raid or they would have taken Suou away earleir imo. Plus, they went past the area where Shion was located during the raid.

Also, the way Suou acted when she went to her friend's house after the girl got ME'd, it prob hadn't happened to her before.
Old 2009-10-25, 15:32   Link #217
Joe_fh

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But the government didn't know about Shion before the raid or they would have taken Suou away earleir imo. Plus, they went past the area where Shion was located during the raid.

Also, the way Suou acted when she went to her friend's house after the girl got ME'd, it prob hadn't happened to her before.
But you have to consider the fact that the room whe Shion was in didn't have a normal door. It had a secret one that looked like a wall so it's quite normal to miss that. And they're looking for a boy....so unless Suou can change her gender I don't see all that happening.

I kind of feel like no one is interested in the things I mention
Old 2009-10-25, 16:18   Link #218
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
But you have to consider the fact that the room whe Shion was in didn't have a normal door. It had a secret one that looked like a wall so it's quite normal to miss that. And they're looking for a boy....so unless Suou can change her gender I don't see all that happening.
She fooled Hei.

Place a washboard chested female in baggy clothes and hide hair under cap. Instant male.

But if she created Shion, then you can have all the requirements. The current Shion existed after the incident but not before. The previous Shion died. Her mind alters the events so that both were at the campsite when in reality it was only her and her father. FSB doesn't know about him until before the raid. Japanese intelligence calls him Izanagi.
Old 2009-10-25, 16:22   Link #219
PiggyBank
sneaky & suspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
That was in the episode's epilogue, not the preview.
Ah, true, that.
Anyway, I'll do my best to wait patiently for some explanation. I'm more curious who Mao means when he says that he belongs to "that woman" and that he brings Hei a change of orders.

After re-rewatching the episode I must agree that the "sneaking" on the train was pointless. And why would they get on a train to go to Japan??? Wouldn't it make more sense to go straight for the boat? Ok, that could be explained somehow - maybe they had a different route in mind at first. But it feels like the whole thing was a bit pushed. As if they really wanted to have this cool scene of trains flying through the air and just had to find a way to put it there.

And one more small thing: Tanya's explanation of her behaviour when she meets Nika - lame! Couldn't help laughing. Right, when you hit puberty and your body starts to change, it's completely normal to send swarms of bugs at your friends.
Old 2009-10-25, 16:32   Link #220
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiggyBank View Post
And one more small thing: Tanya's explanation of her behaviour when she meets Nika - lame! Couldn't help laughing. Right, when you hit puberty and your body starts to change, it's completely normal to send swarms of bugs at your friends.
Well, the idiot bought it. And after 2 attacks, still approached her.