AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-24, 16:42   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Darker Than Black - Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of Darker Than Black. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various Episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• Voice Actors are human.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the Episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.
As of Aug 2010 I will be on hiatus so will not be active as I used to be (this could be considered good news or bad news depending on your viewpoint). Please contact another Mod if you require any help or assistance.
Old 2009-10-24, 21:31   Link #2
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

I've updated my characters/seiyuus page for Ryuusei no Gemini with the new characters that showed up in ep2. The page has images of characters and their seiyuus, and gives info about each seiyuu (age, agency, some previous roles, links to more info in English and Japanese).

There is lots of good work in this show, but the voice that is amazing me is Hanazawa Kana as Suou. For a while, I've enjoyed her as the most moe voice in anime: Ryoko in Zegapain, Shiika in Mushiuta, Sora in Sketchbook, Sora in Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto - Natsu no Sora. Moe melt, for sure.

She has given us somewhat different voices sometimes, with the amazing little grunts of Potemayo, for example, and then as Zange in Kannagi (with mixed results there, in my opinion). She gave us a slightly different moe voice as Nadeko in Bakemonogatari. And she gave a more mature twist to her moe voice as Sharon Rainsworth in Pandora Hearts.

But in DtB2, I think she may have broken out. This is still a young girl's voice, but the moe aspect is nowhere near as strong, for me. It is more of a dramatic voice, with more seriousness.

Directors seem to be taking her pretty seriously, too. Concurrently with this starring role, she is also starring as Kobato in Kobato. That show isn't doing anywhere near as much for me as this one, but she is definitely creating a character.

It surprised me earlier when I discovered that she was with the prestigious agency Office Osawa, whose two most famous seiyuu are Kawasumi Ayako and Noto Mamiko. Osawa is so superior that it doesn't even bother to post pictures and voice samples of its seiyuu, which is the normal practice on agency websites. Other Osawa seiyuu are Hayami Shou, Igarashi Rei, and Watanabe Akeno. Many of their seiyuu are apparently transfers from other agencies. I guess the Osawas knew what they were doing when they signed Kana.

The agency's class showed a couple of years ago, when a former boyfriend (who was also a child actor, as Kana was) posted -- truthfully or falsely -- on 2channel that they had had sex when they were going together. Osawa just ignored the "scandal" and it went away.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Old 2009-10-24, 22:04   Link #3
Strange
Incoherent at best.

Quote:
The agency's class showed a couple of years ago, when a former boyfriend (who was also a child actor, as Kana was) posted -- truthfully or falsely -- on 2channel that they had had sex when they were going together. Osawa just ignored the "scandal" and it went away.
Wait, how was this scandalous?

(in Japan, that is. Are seiyuu held to some high moral standards or something?)
Old 2009-10-24, 23:33   Link #4
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange View Post
Wait, how was this scandalous? (in Japan, that is. Are seiyuu held to some high moral standards or something?)
Sort of. I think the idea is that some fans want to think of seiyuu as either pure or at least available, so they normally don't even admit it when they do have boy friends or girl friends. Anyway, you see why I put "scandal" in quotes.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Old 2009-10-27, 17:42   Link #5
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
So awesome that Jouji Nakata is in the show ever since his latest stint in CANAAN as the badass cab driver.

Wonder what he's going to do? Wonder if he'll be awesome like the driver?

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-10-27, 23:18   Link #6
imbehindyou
turn around...

Short comments.
I like Hanazawa's Suou voice. Compared to Kobato, main chara of another series airing right now, much much better (IMO). Probably due to different characteristics and stuff, well I just prefer Suou's voice

Kiuchi Hidenobu is . I really liked the contrast in his gentle voice vs Hei voice in S1; I wonder if we'll get that contrast in his voice in S2 too. Well. Anyway. I felt that Hei's voice got much rougher? in S2.

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
Old 2009-10-28, 11:14   Link #7
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbehindyou View Post
Short comments.
I like Hanazawa's Suou voice. Compared to Kobato, main chara of another series airing right now, much much better (IMO). Probably due to different characteristics and stuff, well I just prefer Suou's voice

Kiuchi Hidenobu is . I really liked the contrast in his gentle voice vs Hei voice in S1; I wonder if we'll get that contrast in his voice in S2 too. Well. Anyway. I felt that Hei's voice got much rougher? in S2.
Kiuchi-san first started to get to me as Ren in NANA. Then I realized he had been Dr. Tenma in Monster. And I thought he did a fairly comic character brilliantly as Ryouko's sidekick in Ryouko's Case File.

In appearance, he's a bit of a rough-looking guy, and he has an independent streak: no agency, he books himself. He apparently likes to go camping, and his normal outfit any time is shorts, T-shirt and zori (traditional Japanese sandals). Nevertheless, he is very well informed about restaurants and clothing shops in Tokyo, according to jp.Wikipedia. He's from the Kansai (Hyougo, northwest of Kyoto). He apparently started as a stage actor, and then moved into voice work.

I still love Hanazawa Kana's "moest of the moe" voice, as in Mushiuta, Sketchbook, and Natsu no Sora. But this new, more serious voice just blows me away. I liked the first episode of Kobato, but since then it has left me cold, for some reason. Maybe partly because Hanazawa-san's voice there is neither one thing nor the other. But people in that thread consider Kobato "the most huggably adorable character ever," so that's okay.
Old 2009-10-28, 16:13   Link #8
dear4life
Contractor

I love Kiuchi Hidenobu too. His voice is so perfect for Hei and Li.

I also like Nana Mizuki (Misaki). She is also very talented, from doing young shy voices like Hinata in Naruto, to teenagers and deeper voices like Misaki. She's is also a talented singer.

Spoiler for Another Video - Trickster:
Old 2009-11-05, 22:43   Link #9
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

I seem to keep updating my characters/seiyuus page after most episodes, with a new character or two.

After ep5 it's Norio's mother, who is played by TV actress and movie/TV dubber Hayashi Marika. On her blog she says she just got married, and has a pic of herself in a wedding dress in church. Fairly cool, so I linked to it. Happy to be married at 34, well past the Japanese "best before date" of 30, and back to work the next day.

And I'll add Suou and Shion's mother, who makes only a brief flashback appearance, but is played by the wonderful Tamagawa Sakiko (Onashia in Simoun, Fujitsubo in Genji, etc., etc.).

In ep5 I just loved the arch tones of veteran seiyuu Kouda Kaho as Madame Oreille. She was Cher in Wolf's Rain and more recently Judy in Phantom Requiem.

And Hanazawa Kana continues to show us a level of acting I've never seen from her before. Outstanding.
Closed Thread