AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-04-16, 15:36   Link #1
Shadow Kira01

Vista Issues

My OS is now Microsoft Vista Home Premium and I am experiencing all sorts of compatibility issues, not mentioning that it hangs once in awhile. However, the hanging part can easily be fixed but the software issues can't.

I am trying to install Ai Yori Aoshi on 64-bit Vista and I get an error. Does anybody else have the same OS as me and actually got it to work or it isn't possible. I do know that Vista has many compatibility and stability issues, so its not that new to me. Also, does anybody know of an alternative program to PSP Video 9? I used to use v4.05 and it worked like a charm, but that version is now discontinued and v4.07 works with so many issues. Currently, I am still trying to find my PSP Media Manager disc which I bought for 15 bucks awhile back but the problem with that is my psp must be connected in order to convert video files, not mentioning that the video files also tend to be twice the size of PSP Video 9 conversions, like 70MB vs 120MB.

I guess my question should be: Does anybody know where to get older versions of PSP Video 9?
Old 2009-04-16, 16:31   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
I transitioned to Windows Vista 64-bit recently (replaced Home Premium with Business 64-bit with the key my college provided me) , and I don't have much hanging problems since all the drivers were provided on my Leopard disc.

The problem with Ai Yori Aoshi not installing is that the installer may be 16-bit program which a 64-bit operating system won't run. To be sure, try to set the installer to Windows XP compatibility mode and turn off UAC and try to run it. If it doesn't work, install it on a different computer (running Windows Vista 32-bit or earlier) and then copy the game files to a external hard drive and copy back to your computer.

For PSP Video alternative, I suggest looking at this guide, but it's very involving... it requires you to to demux the mkv and that sort of stuff.

Also, you can also use Handbrake to convert your video to PSP (you must hardcode subtitles first).

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-04-16 at 20:37.
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 17:03   Link #3
Jethro
howtoplay tomoyofighter?

What do you use psp video 9 for?

"Souiu fuu ni dekiteiru"
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 20:26   Link #4
denice25

the driver of Ai Yori Aoshi on 64-bit Vista is not compatible....
Old 2009-04-17, 02:07   Link #5
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by denice25 View Post
the driver of Ai Yori Aoshi on 64-bit Vista is not compatible....
Thanks for the tip, I already realized that after trying it again. Oh well.. I guess I will watch the anime instead or maybe, there will be future patches by Microsoft in the near future that boosts it compatibility and stability.
Old 2009-04-17, 06:23   Link #6
martino
makes no files now

You could always run a 32-bit VM (Virtual Machine) under a 64-bit host... That should work.
Old 2009-04-17, 19:27   Link #7
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
You could always run a 32-bit VM (Virtual Machine) under a 64-bit host... That should work.
How do you do that?

I prefer not to downgrade my system because it may cause negative effects.
Old 2009-04-17, 19:35   Link #8
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
How do you do that?

I prefer not to downgrade my system because it may cause negative effects.
You can create a VM using VirtualBox or Virtual PC which doesn't cost anything, but you will need a Windows disc to install Windows XP.

VM or Virtual Machine is a virtual computer that allows you to install multiple OSes without dual booting or your OS.
Old 2009-04-17, 19:59   Link #9
holyalexander
holy alexander

i always got a problem with vista.. so i install Xp again..
Old 2009-04-17, 20:01   Link #10
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyalexander View Post
i always got a problem with vista.. so i install Xp again..
The problem with downgrading is that most manufacturers don't support Windows XP and the drivers for computers, especially laptops are difficult to find and can be frustrating to get it to work.
Old 2009-04-18, 01:01   Link #11
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
You can create a VM using VirtualBox or Virtual PC which doesn't cost anything, but you will need a Windows disc to install Windows XP.

VM or Virtual Machine is a virtual computer that allows you to install multiple OSes without dual booting or your OS.
Thanks for the suggestion! ^^

I got a better idea. I will follow this guide and get my former laptop back into shape, hopefully..
Old 2009-05-12, 00:47   Link #12
Jitsan

Windows 7 VM problem

I'm running Windows 7 RC on my laptop. The OS and the VM are both installed at 64-bit. I tried installing on the VM and it opened the setup, but closed when I pressed install. I tried running compatibility modes ranging from XP SP2-3 to 98. Nothing has worked so far...

My only guess now is that either something is wrong with the VM or we really need someone to design a 64-bit installer for the game if that's even possible. (Don't ask me, I'm not that good at programming yet.)
Jitsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 02:49   Link #13
denice25

try to search on the net... good luck...
Old 2009-05-12, 03:32   Link #14
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!

Send a message via Yahoo to aeriolewinters
There's the Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7 Download @ microsoft.
Old 2009-05-12, 08:58   Link #15
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!

This may be relevant.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...7s-xp-mode.ars
Animeruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 14:35   Link #16
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Viva la Vista? or Still Microsoft $hitsta??

I finally succumbed to buying a new computer after 7 years of the good ol’ DELL 8200…I loved that computer and kept it updated but even my best efforts weren’t enuff (I mean the time for unlimited, unskipping, HQ anime is NOW!)…It’s time for me to move on, LMAO as if a new Compaq Presario SR5710F Desktop Computer With AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core Processor 4450e+ does that awesomely, but in any event I do have the “dreaded” Windows Vista and at this point I don’t know if vista is still hax or if trashing it is just still the trendy thing to do…Personally I didn’t really want Vista but they were gonna rape me with an additional fee I wasn’t ready to pay for to have it downgraded and the $hit was only on sale AS IS…I have all the latest manual XP downgrade software at home anyways so I figured I’d try it out before I got the urge to go Back To The Future^^…

So basically I’d like to know if the opinion on vista has changed a bit since it’s been longer than a year now, and if vista is gonna have any compatibility issues (mainly with anime – watching, downloading, watching HQ $hit or what have you, etc.,) Additionally if I find your answers troubling will I be able to simply use my XP downgrade discs and not have more problems because the computer was meant for vista…So I throw myself on the mercy of the tech forum lurkers for something to ease my mind…If I like what I hear I’ll ease yours with 6x the rep^^…
Old 2009-05-27, 15:36   Link #17
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Answer to your question: Vista has had suficient time for it to either fix any issue or provide a simple easy alternative when not posible. Vdeos, I wouldn't worry about them lacking in compatibility.

A somewhat related issue: are you sure its for you? The real problem I have with Vista is that I feel I'm giving a lot and yet gaining nothing in return other then the empty words of "you are up to date". Considering how cases of newer is worse seem to sprout everywhere, as of late updating software has falled as secondary concern only aplied to severe security issue, when these are something I would consider a threat.

I believe the old saying "don't fix it if it ain't broken" belongs to the ignorant and unimaginative, but recent developement sure has given it a lot of credebility. I've even tried 7 recently, surprisingly its nifty little taskbar I was expecting to hate is its greatest feature (all be it bugged to no end) but all the other details about it would seem to annoy me to no end. It certainly looks a little better in videos or seing someone else use it, but then so does vista.

Getting to the point, for me at least, vista and 7 are both designed so much with such complexety for stupid people that the counter-productivity of it all drives me crazy.
Old 2009-05-27, 16:03   Link #18
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Answer to your question: Vista has had suficient time for it to either fix any issue or provide a simple easy alternative when not posible. Vdeos, I wouldn't worry about them lacking in compatibility.

A somewhat related issue: are you sure its for you? The real problem I have with Vista is that I feel I'm giving a lot and yet gaining nothing in return other then the empty words of "you are up to date". Considering how cases of newer is worse seem to sprout everywhere, as of late updating software has falled as secondary concern only aplied to severe security issue, when these are something I would consider a threat.

I believe the old saying "don't fix it if it ain't broken" belongs to the ignorant and unimaginative, but recent developement sure has given it a lot of credebility. I've even tried 7 recently, surprisingly its nifty little taskbar I was expecting to hate is its greatest feature (all be it bugged to no end) but all the other details about it would seem to annoy me to no end. It certainly looks a little better in videos or seing someone else use it, but then so does vista.

Getting to the point, for me at least, vista and 7 are both designed so much with such complexety for stupid people that the counter-productivity of it all drives me crazy.
Well that’s what I’m saying, I don’t WANT Vista, but if it doesn’t suck a$$ like when it first came out I’d be willing to DEAL with it…Trust me my sister has Vista and when I use her computer sometimes I wanna punch it, but I don’t want all the problems that may exist if I downgrade (The IT Pro @ my job told me to suck it up, because in about a year there won’t really be $hit [new-$hit] compatible to XP anymore and for my exact computer she said drivers for XP after the downgrade is gonna be a tuff search—Don’t know if she was being authentic or just wanted me outta her office^^)…I’d love to just downgrade to XP but I also heard there is a hassle involved with that that I might not wanna endure with anew computer already fully installed with Vista Home Premium…So basically I’m just hoping to ease my mind, by people telling me, that Vista isn’t $hitty anymore so just calm down…Unfortunately Cats you have done nothing to ease my concern, hell I’m staring hard @ that downgrade disc as we speak^^…So to answer your question: No I don’t think it’s for me BUT I might just have to bite the bullet because that’s life, and Microsoft has a way of forcing you into the collective

Anyone else?
Old 2009-05-27, 16:14   Link #19
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Vista is okay OS if you are not doing crucial stuff like gaming... but I have switched to Mac before Vista came out and I did Beta testing of Vista Beta 2 and RC1 and it's a vast improvement over XP in security and ease of use. Service Pack 2 fixed most of the performance issues. I don't have to deal with issues with Vista since it's a clean install and the drivers are supplied on the Mac OS X CD which can also be used for XP.

I don't advise anyone to downgrade because people will end up getting frustrated in finding all the drivers since they don't supply it, but Windows 7's XP mode should fix most of the compatibility problems as long you have a VT-x capable processor, which most consumer laptops don't come with and use Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate.

Another solution is to use virtualization software such as VMWare Workstation or Virtualbox to run XP in.
Old 2009-05-27, 16:52   Link #20
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well I’m not a gamer and @ age 30 that’s a ship that’s sailed for me…I have no interest in that…I just want to download, watch, visual suite edit, video-capture, and manipulate HQ media content with fast processing speeds (for distribution via the net and physically)...From all indications in the research for my computer the Compaq Presario is aimed with that in mind (Not to mention affordable as hell for what it can do)…So the issue with Vista is morso about my personal style and comfortability…As I said I use my sis’ comp from time to time and aesthetically I just hate Vista and all of it’s needless complexities(I also feel like Bill Gates is watching my a$$ when I use it it’s so invasive) but I don’t want to just scrap it if downgrading is gonna open another Pandora's Box of issues (like driver hunting and certain incompatibility with new products—Is it that hard to manual find all the drivers you need?)…Currently the compaq comes with Vista Home Premium SP1 (which should be upgraded once I get the internet going and the “dreaded” windows update I suppose)…

Interesting, so Windows 7 has an XP mode that reverts? I may look into that…I’m unfamiliar with the VT-x processor but all the specs for my comp can be found here if there’s anything you’d like to add….Thanx chikorita, that was a very helpful post…You made me just scared enuff to probably just use Vista, and if I still hate it upgrade to Windows7 with xp revert (if I'm capable I hope)...