AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 95 49.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 26.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 11.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 5.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.07%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.52%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.04%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.52%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.52%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.07%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-30, 10:59   Link #181
Pixelation
Dreamcatcher

After Jessica was injured, Eva was under Battler's constant surveillance.

Therefore, Eva had the perfect alibi for murdering Nanjo.

At the time of Nanjo's murder, Eva, Battler, Jessica were alive.

At the time of the crime, only Nanjo and Jessica were in the servant's room.

Jessica Ushiromiya did not commit murder.

Eva and Battler weren't involved in Nanjo's murder either.

No more than 18 people exist on this island.

Nanjo's death was a homicide, the culprit killed him from point blank range.

Murder is a killing with intent, while homicide is merely one human killing another. So Jessica could have killed him without intending to (accident?) and the Red Truth stands as truth.

There is also the possibility that one of the 'dead' is not actually dead, and killed him as he was walking out the door. Meaning Jessica and Nanjo were the only people in the room, but the killer was standing in the hallway and killed him at point blank range as he tried to leave. And this evades the truth of neither Eva nor Battler's involvement. Note that the truth that the three were alive does not exclude the possibility of other survivors.

Of course this is based on the wording (of the GG sub), which may vary from the original Japanese.

On the issue of making him sign it: I'm pretty sure for it to have whatever the intended effect is he has to make the conscious decision to do it. Otherwise they wouldn't have to play never-ending truth or dare. She could just have a goat force his hand, cut off his hand and use it to sign, whatever suits your sadistic fancy.

Maybe she threw the game for some hidden, personal reason? Lambda did ask her if she was even trying to win... maybe she was refering to her not keeping up her tsundere act till Battler actually signed?

Those are my thoughts and speculations as a first time, anime only viewer anyway.
Old 2009-10-30, 11:00   Link #182
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
The thing about it is..... is there actually any proof Eva killed anyone besides Battler (and at this point she's clearly goddamn nuts)? It's possible that the third arc is meant to mislead into thinking Eva's the culprit, even though she's generally innocent - (possible comparisons to Vera Claythorne go here). And what contradictions in the red truth, as there's a very obvious loophole out of this - someone else (Kyrie, perhaps) killed Nanjo and then died later.
"At the time of the crime, only Jessica and Nanjo were in the servant room."

"The murder was committed at point-blank range."
Old 2009-10-30, 11:02   Link #183
desirebluesky
* ahaha.wav *

Send a message via MSN to desirebluesky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
We don't even know whether Eva killed Battler or not.
We only see that she points her gun at Battler then hear the gun shot.
in the novel it was pretty clear he died though.
Spoiler for orginal scene:
Old 2009-10-30, 11:08   Link #184
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

There's actually a LOT more red text in that scene than what Evatrice said, but I don't think we're allowed to post them until a Mod gives the go signal. Klash would probably have the say on that but since he's busy with WH I'm not sure which other Mod would have an idea.

Suffice to say that the missing reds both open and close a lot of possibilities regarding the third arc mysteries.
Old 2009-10-30, 11:11   Link #185
Aeriven
Please grant my wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desirebluesky View Post
in the novel it was pretty clear he died though.
And, of course, there's Battler's TIPs for Episode 3.

Spoiler for Image, Spoiler for end of episode:
Old 2009-10-30, 11:14   Link #186
Kaiba

Quote:
"At the time of the crime, only Jessica and Nanjo were in the servant room."
And where is it stated that Nanjo died in the servant's room? If anything, we saw him leave, meet Eva-Beatrice, and die, so he probably did not die in the servant's room. And it's just as possible that someone outside the servant's room shot Nanjo if he was in the servant's room - aka Nanjo is in the edge of the servant's room, Kyrie is outside the servant's room, she kills Nanjo.
Old 2009-10-30, 11:14   Link #187
Workworkwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
If Eva really was the killer as the ending implied that would mean Beato-Eva was lying in red on at least one of the things she said. Does that mean the entire premise that the red words are always the truth is incorrect?
Keep in mind that by that point, Eva had lost both her husband and her son. Not to mention the trauma of having everyone you know, whether you like them or not, being killed by some unknown person. If you were all alone with someone else who accused you of killing everyone else, could you take the stress of trying to deny it? Or would you just snap?

It's quite possible that if Battler wasn't so incompetent and didn't tip her over the edge(Boohoo, you're the culprit, Eva.), she might have not shot him.
Old 2009-10-30, 11:56   Link #188
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
And where is it stated that Nanjo died in the servant's room?
"The Crime" can't refer to anything but his death, can it? If he was there when "The crime" happened, that means that's where he was when he was killed.
Old 2009-10-30, 11:56   Link #189
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbane the Terrible View Post
One major complaint about the art in this episode: HUMAN EYES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY. Squashing characters' irises like that dumps them at the bottom of the Uncanny Valley. Aside from that, no big complaints.
Though it's true human eyes don't work that way,I think the way the eyes were handled this episode is a reference to goat eyes. Eh, it was different, so I thought it was kinda nifty.
Old 2009-10-30, 12:04   Link #190
RikaNipah
*Artist

Send a message via Skype™ to RikaNipah
Wow, I didn't expect it turn out like it did.
With Beato turning everything around, and Virgillia, what a traitor, I geniunely thought she was on Battler's side.
It was great that we got to see Ange!
More Bern and Lambda please.
Old 2009-10-30, 12:53   Link #191
Coruja

I really really loved this episode, best one yet for me!
Old 2009-10-30, 13:05   Link #192
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

WTF. Totally didn't see that coming 0_0

I was right at the fact, Beato, Evatrice, Ronove and the like are not in the same league with Bernkastel and 34 through.....

A little bit surprised at how Lambdadelta declare her love to Bernkastel..... So it's not fanfic ^////^

PS: how many peopel expected Eva to be the culprit purely just because of her voice actress ? xD
Old 2009-10-30, 13:23   Link #193
Yami Sonozaki
Shion's follower xD

Send a message via MSN to Yami Sonozaki Send a message via Yahoo to Yami Sonozaki
Wow, just when I thought Battler and Beato would start kissing..
Very nice episode.
Old 2009-10-30, 13:23   Link #194
peachgirldb

The number one thing that struck me was... damn, anime Ange is so much more like her brother xD I'm loving it.
Old 2009-10-30, 13:30   Link #195
RikaNipah
*Artist

Send a message via Skype™ to RikaNipah
I know.
Go go Ange.
Old 2009-10-30, 13:33   Link #196
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming

Since what we are given is that Nanjo was leaving the room at the time of the crime, one can assume that he was at the door and that the murderer was also at the door...in the hallway. That is about as point blank as one can get without being in the room.

The question then becomes...who killed him? We know three people were still alive as Nanjo dropped dead...but who else was alive?

Jessica did not commit murder. Eva was with Battler. One assumes Battler didn't kill Nanjo, nor that Eva killed Nanjo with Battler being present. Nanjo is assumed to have not killed himself, since it is labeled a homocide. That leaves the question....who else is alive?
Old 2009-10-30, 13:36   Link #197
becky-chan
i smell tasty nom noms..

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
PS: how many people expected Eva to be the culprit purely just because of her voice actress ? xD
*raises hand*
Old 2009-10-30, 13:51   Link #198
AudriSampson
Ange Ushiromiya's Fangirl

Send a message via Yahoo to AudriSampson
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikaNipah View Post
Wow, I didn't expect it turn out like it did.
With Beato turning everything around, and Virgillia, what a traitor, I geniunely thought she was on Battler's side.
It was great that we got to see Ange!
More Bern and Lambda please.
Yea that was Marvelous!!! We got our Beatrice back!!! Ive been so frusterated with this mushy Beatrice and it just made it wonderful that this was an act.. I had totally bought her act! Great Job to the writers VA's and the Eternal Witch Beatrice!!
Old 2009-10-30, 13:58   Link #199
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Since what we are given is that Nanjo was leaving the room at the time of the crime, one can assume that he was at the door and that the murderer was also at the door...in the hallway. That is about as point blank as one can get without being in the room.

The question then becomes...who killed him? We know three people were still alive as Nanjo dropped dead...but who else was alive?

Jessica did not commit murder. Eva was with Battler. One assumes Battler didn't kill Nanjo, nor that Eva killed Nanjo with Battler being present. Nanjo is assumed to have not killed himself, since it is labeled a homocide. That leaves the question....who else is alive?
Spoiler for Higurashi rei:

I means if only three people still alive at that points and Jessica do not kill Nanjo. Who else would?

What if Jessica unknowingly, accidentally killed Nanjo? Would it count as non-murderer?
Old 2009-10-30, 14:00   Link #200
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I means if only three people still alive at that points and Jessica do not kill Nanjo. Who else would?
Where did it say that only three people were alive when Nanjo died?