AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-10-25, 03:30   Link #1
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Which anime/manga has depicted non-Japanese cultures accurately?

I have read the manga Yakitate Japan. The author seemed to lack familiarity with the culture of Monaco. In the Yakitate! Japan manga, one says "Monaco isn't its own country but somewhat a part of France." Furthermore, the author also confused Monaco's emergency dial number with France's. This is one of many examples of the anime/manga creators lack of familiarity on non-Japanese cultures.

Which anime/manga do you know has depicted non-Japanese cultures accurately?

I believe the anime/manga series "Master Keaton" has shown a fairly accurate portrayal of the European cultures, especially those of England and Germany. Master Keaton is a half-Japanese/half-British ex-SAS sergeant and Falklands War veteran-turned-archeologist and insurance investigator. There are interesting and educational episodes taking place in various places such as England, Russia, Greece, France, Italy, Germany, Scotland, Ireland, etc. They narrated some fascinating tales from the histories of those mentioned countries. I watched the first 24 episodes.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1880/17917390523.jpg
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-25, 04:42   Link #2
Oppius
Banned

I believe there still no anime that depicted non-Japanese people accurately. Either they just don't know much about non-Japanese history and cultures or they just afraid of controversies later. Good example would be Hetalia. I was disappointed that this show never follow WW1 and WW2 accurately and of course, Japanese people don't like the fact that they are the "bad guys" in that time.

Here's the good(or bad) example of how Japanese(and rest of the world) stereotyping American people:

Spoiler for Quite NSFW but safe enough for this place:

How many American stereotypes you can see on that pic? I think the artist missed one. She's not fat.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 09:20   Link #3
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Many anime series tend to dwell on the stereotypes of different nations.

Ah, yes, I remember Master Keaton when I saw its commercial in NHK-BS2 a long time ago. I agree it's one of those "well-researched" anime series.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 40!! Completed: 210. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 09:35   Link #4
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Technically it isn't a proper depiction of non-Japanese culture, but "Strike Witches" was pretty accurate in making the designs of their Strikers like the designs of real life WWII fighter planes from the different countries depending on where the characters were from.
Old 2009-10-26, 10:00   Link #5
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Victorian Romance Emma
Old 2009-10-26, 10:10   Link #6
klare

i saw the most common mistake in anime is the non-Japanese characters tend to bow to others when they wanna appologise or say thank you

however, u can place your hope in Winter Sonata as it is adapted from a Korean drama produced by Koreans
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 14:37   Link #7
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Full metal panic and black lagoon, they have two of my fav chinese americans
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-27, 19:23   Link #8
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Full metal panic and black lagoon, they have two of my fav chinese americans
and those are accurate how... ?

I'd say Monster did a pretty good job, and First Squad too, though the latter was made partly by Russians so...
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-27, 20:35   Link #9
Boduar

Wow that pic made me crack one hell of a huge smile.
Boduar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 08:48   Link #10
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppius View Post
I believe there still no anime that depicted non-Japanese people accurately. Either they just don't know much about non-Japanese history and cultures or they just afraid of controversies later. Good example would be Hetalia. I was disappointed that this show never follow WW1 and WW2 accurately and of course, Japanese people don't like the fact that they are the "bad guys" in that time.

That's not entirely true. Master Keaton did follow World War II quite accurately but only in the European Theater. For example One episode did show the Nazi bombing of London and another showed a WWII battle throughout French vineyards. I don't know if there are Master Keaton manga chapters or anime episodes about the Pacific Theater of WWII.

By the way, did you read the Japanese manga "Adolf"? It covers sensitive topics about Nazis persecution of the Jews and Japanese occupation of Manchuria.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-28, 10:25   Link #11
Haak
Forever Alone...

What about the Fullmetal Alchemist movie? i don't know a lot about Germany in that time so i was wondering if that was a fairly decent depicture of Germany at the time.
Old 2009-10-28, 10:31   Link #12
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I was thinking about planetES myself. It got more of an ongoing international culture rather than a non-japanese one, but there are quite a few elements that they handle well in there.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-01, 16:36   Link #13
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I have watched Master Keaton but unfortunately not read / watched Adolf but heard of it . Most Animes don't depict Japanese culturally accurately leaving slice of life genre . The bottom line is its fiction .. so stereotypes sometimes do get tossed around .

Regarding Examples I would say Monster / Black Lagoon / FMP / FMA (Shambala)