AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-11-09, 16:24   Link #181
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: τη λαnδ of веагз αnδ дг
I think you are underestimating Buggy. Even though he is mainly portrayed as a laughable character with alternating fortunes and unfortunes, being the ex-nakama to Shanks, and being a member of the Roger's crew, when he was still young, he should have enough strength, that may easily go above Usopp's or Nami's.

Buggy's main weakness is that he is not using his head much. He might have developed some techniques in the past but being in east blue so long, he might have abandoned them because of not needing them anymore. One interesting development regarding his character would be having one of the strongest hakis among all the characters (it would be surprising for him to have lasted this long, if he hadn't had the will to survive). Since he is closer to the idiot-side, not using it or not trying to improve it is something you would expect from him. If this fight is also meant to have him show some kind of development, maybe we will get to see some of it.
__________________
Fipskuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 17:29   Link #182
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Who else is annoyed with the breaks lately?

This suddenly turned in to a bi-weekly manga.

Can't be helped, what with all the work he put towards movie 10/volume 0 and the fact that he recently became a father. It's best if he has as much rest as he can so he doesn't self-destruct from his workload......



....And hey, at least he's not NEARLY as bad with breaks as Togashi, right?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 17:39   Link #183
Prestige
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Grand Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Can't be helped, what with all the work he put towards movie 10/volume 0 and the fact that he recently became a father. It's best if he has as much rest as he can so he doesn't self-destruct from his workload......



....And hey, at least he's not NEARLY as bad with breaks as Togashi, right?
Thats right, infact I would not mind if Oda would have small hiatus after this arc, guy really deserves some rest for a while.

It would be murder to fans like me but if he would announce having 3-6 months hiatus it would be perfectly fine too.

Seriosly if you think amount of stuff he has been doing in these couple of years I think he earns some rest.

I really would hate if he would get burnout or something, Oda says he loves making One Piece and its his passion but I hope he wont overwork himself.

Well unlike Togashi who has amazing series but he dont have passion to it...
Prestige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 18:25   Link #184
Hiking_Bear
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKiko View Post
Boa is way stronger than Luffy and has king's Haki... Even Sengoku recognizes her power... she will not be a part of strawhats thats for sure.
Nothing's for sure yet. It's not even safe to say that Boa could beat Luffy since Luffy has shown that he can attack using king's haki and since her Devil Fruit powers don't work on him.

I think the reason Buggy is shown in recent chapters is so that he can remain in the story. The Strawhats are about to make it into the new world, and if we suddenly see Buggy show up in the new world as well, we will need an explanation for how someone as weak as Buggy made it that far. The person that Buggy hates more than anyone is Shanks, so it's a longshot that he would ever join a crew represented by Shanks' strawhat.
Hiking_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 19:15   Link #185
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiking_Bear View Post
Yeah, Boa might still be stronger than Luffy since she made child's play out of Smoker.
Aren't you exaggerating a little bit here? The only reason why Smoker got kicked by Hancock was because his attention was completed focused on Luffy, and thus he was caught off guard by such interference. In the second interception, again Smoker is seen going for Luffy with his seastone jutte, but then Hancock steps in and uses her "perfume femur" to destroy the weapon. In both of those cases, he definitely wasn't expecting someone on his side to stop him from taking down and capturing the rookie.

If Smoker was to actually try to fight back against Hancock, I can assure you that things would go down differently. Don't get me wrong here. I'm also of the opinion that Hancock is more powerful than Smoker (not just her, but any warlord for that matter), but not to the extent of making him look like child's play. He's a formidable opponent for anyone.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 20:27   Link #186
ShadowKiko
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiking_Bear View Post
Nothing's for sure yet. It's not even safe to say that Boa could beat Luffy since Luffy has shown that he can attack using king's haki and since her Devil Fruit powers don't work on him.
I think its way safe to assume that Boa is stronger than Luffy. I mean even Sengoku said she was powerful and it is a good help in this war... The same can not be said about Luffy so far since he is getting saved times and times again in this war... one of those times he was saved by Hancock.

So yeah I am pretty sure that Hancock is stronger than Luffy at this point and with that said... way to strong to join strawhats.
ShadowKiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 21:27   Link #187
andy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Aren't you exaggerating a little bit here? The only reason why Smoker got kicked by Hancock was because his attention was completed focused on Luffy, and thus he was caught off guard by such interference. In the second interception, again Smoker is seen going for Luffy with his seastone jutte, but then Hancock steps in and uses her "perfume femur" to destroy the weapon. In both of those cases, he definitely wasn't expecting someone on his side to stop him from taking down and capturing the rookie.

If Smoker was to actually try to fight back against Hancock, I can assure you that things would go down differently. Don't get me wrong here. I'm also of the opinion that Hancock is more powerful than Smoker (not just her, but any warlord for that matter), but not to the extent of making him look like child's play. He's a formidable opponent for anyone.
Well you would have to name another warlord that we know that can hit him. Smoker wanted to go after luffy. I think him knowing she can hit him and destroying his weapon says it all ,he was stuck and theres was nothing he could do .

Don't go saying any warlord can beat smoker when the only other one we know can hit a logia user is jinbei and he was near water .

Even if smoker wanted to fight back vs boa he would have to change his whole fighting style .
Until i see some other warlord able to do haki or hit a logia user i have smoker beating them .

Last edited by andy; 2009-11-09 at 21:41.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 22:51   Link #188
Hiking_Bear
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKiko View Post
I think its way safe to assume that Boa is stronger than Luffy. I mean even Sengoku said she was powerful and it is a good help in this war... The same can not be said about Luffy so far since he is getting saved times and times again in this war... one of those times he was saved by Hancock.
I disagree. The only thing that Boa holds over Luffy is Haki, and even she admits that she hasn't mastered it yet. By the end of this war, I doubt Boa's contribution will be greater than Luffy's. Luffy already has Crocodile, Moria, and Enel under his belt, and he defeated the Gorgon sisters who both used haki. If he hasn't surpassed Hancock yet, he's on the verge of doing so once he learns haki.

Quote:
Even if smoker wanted to fight back vs boa he would have to change his whole fighting style .
Until i see some other warlord able to do haki or hit a logia user i have smoker beating them .
Crocodile trapped Smoker in a seastone cage and would have drowned him if it weren't for Sanji. There are other means by which a warlord could defeat Smoker without Haki. Blackbeard could do it (the same way he defeated Ace). Doflamingo could take control of Smoker and walk him into the ocean. Moria could steal Smoker's shadow. Kuma could trap smoker in a pressure bubble and send him flying wherever. I don't know about Mihawk - but maybe he has a sword made of seastone.

Last edited by Hiking_Bear; 2009-11-09 at 23:25.
Hiking_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 23:39   Link #189
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Well you would have to name another warlord that we know that can hit him.
I don't need to elaborate any further on this. Hiking Bear pretty much stated all that needs to be stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I think him knowing she can hit him and destroying his weapon says it all ,he was stuck and theres was nothing he could do .
You need to start examining the circumstances on how these things happen, which I already explained in my previous post. Things would be different if Smoker was focused on Hancock and not someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Don't go saying any warlord can beat smoker when the only other one we know can hit a logia user is jinbei and he was near water .
This has already been addressed. Read my first reply in this post.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 02:52   Link #190
paradox13
zzz
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Doflamingo could take control of Smoker and walk him into the ocean.
How do strings control smoke?

Care to elaborate on that?

Quote:
Moria could steal Smoker's shadow.
Again, how does one steal a logia's shadow?
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
paradox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 07:33   Link #191
andy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiking_Bear View Post
I disagree. The only thing that Boa holds over Luffy is Haki, and even she admits that she hasn't mastered it yet. By the end of this war, I doubt Boa's contribution will be greater than Luffy's. Luffy already has Crocodile, Moria, and Enel under his belt, and he defeated the Gorgon sisters who both used haki. If he hasn't surpassed Hancock yet, he's on the verge of doing so once he learns haki.

Crocodile trapped Smoker in a seastone cage and would have drowned him if it weren't for Sanji. There are other means by which a warlord could defeat Smoker without Haki. Blackbeard could do it (the same way he defeated Ace). Doflamingo could take control of Smoker and walk him into the ocean. Moria could steal Smoker's shadow. Kuma could trap smoker in a pressure bubble and send him flying wherever. I don't know about Mihawk - but maybe he has a sword made of seastone.


Boa has full control of her haki , that was a miss translation , don't read your manga from a certain site.


Were taking about a 1on 1 fights . I forgot about BB yes he could beat smoker .

Also i would don control smoker he just make his body smoke.
How would kuma hit smoker ,he just turn into smoke again .
How would moria get smoker's shadow when he can't even touch him.

Of course luffy is going to have a bigger contribution than boa in the war , i never said otherwise.
Boa was there because of luffy she save him and give him ace key i don't see her doing anything else unless luffy get in trouble again and no one around.


Not only boa has full control of haki over luffy .She also has her DF which can turn anything into stone after a hit .

Last edited by andy; 2009-11-10 at 07:58.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 08:17   Link #192
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Again, how does one steal a logia's shadow?
Technically, whether the body is tangible or not, it will still cast a shadow on the floor. I'll concede though that it would be very difficult for Moria to steal the shadow while worrying about the logia user in elemental form trying to attack him. Then again, even though Moria can't hit Smoker at all, Smoker can't do anything to doppleman either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
How would kuma hit smoker ,he just turn into smoke again .
Kuma can literally deflect anything, and that includes smoke. He might not be able to hurt Smoker, but he can always repel him away if he tries to get close. Smoker would also have a very hard time hitting Kuma since he can basically warp himself.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 08:27   Link #193
Talendra
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Aren't you exaggerating a little bit here? The only reason why Smoker got kicked by Hancock was because his attention was completed focused on Luffy, and thus he was caught off guard by such interference. In the second interception, again Smoker is seen going for Luffy with his seastone jutte, but then Hancock steps in and uses her "perfume femur" to destroy the weapon. In both of those cases, he definitely wasn't expecting someone on his side to stop him from taking down and capturing the rookie.

If Smoker was to actually try to fight back against Hancock, I can assure you that things would go down differently. Don't get me wrong here. I'm also of the opinion that Hancock is more powerful than Smoker (not just her, but any warlord for that matter), but not to the extent of making him look like child's play. He's a formidable opponent for anyone.
I think you are quite right when it comes to the core of the question, but I also think you are exaggerating a little bit yourself .

It is certainly true, that Smokers focus was on Luffy. However, Smoker is an experienced, level headed fighter. And he is well aware that he is in the middle of a big war, as well as Luffy having a lot of allies on this battle field. Given these facts, i don't really expect Smoker to focus so much on Luffy, that he doesn't notice his surroundings anymore (especially since Luffy did not put up any resistence, it was not very a "conciousness-demanding" encouter for smoker). Even more with the way Oda portayed this war, you always have to be on guard, cause someone might just stab you into your back if you aren't.

Even more so on their second encounter, when Boa destroyed Smokers jutte, he was aware that there was a high level opponent trying to help Luffy. A fighter as (fighting)intelligent as Smoker should not be caught that much off guard in such a large-scale war.

So i think it may not be childs play for Boa, but the difference in power/skill is quite formidable.
Talendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 08:46   Link #194
Hiking_Bear
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
How do strings control smoke?

Care to elaborate on that?
Idk. How do strings/puppet powers control anything?

Quote:
Again, how does one steal a logia's shadow?
This one's easy. Everyone has a shadow. I'm not trying to go into detail on how a battle between Moria and a logia would play out, only that Moria has a way of hurting a logia user by taking his shadow. Don't forget that Moria can trade places with his doppleman, which allows him to sneak up on people. Even though he may not be able to physically hit a logia's body, the shadow is still vulnerable.

Last edited by Hiking_Bear; 2009-11-10 at 09:01.
Hiking_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 09:19   Link #195
ShadowKiko
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiking_Bear View Post
By the end of this war, I doubt Boa's contribution will be greater than Luffy's.
If it was not for Boa Luffy would already be defeated thus not contributing to this war at all... So anything Luffy does from this point on its due to Boa's rescue so in a way... Anything that Luffy does no matter how big it will be... its Boa contribution...

And still the point is that Hancock is way to strong to be in the strawhats. And even if Luffy defeated Marigold and Sandersonia i dont think Hancock its on the same level as those two. In fact... I bet she is way stronger than both.
We've seen what regular Haki can do. We've seen normal arrows filled with regular Haki breaking stones... So can you imagine what could mean being kicked by King's Haki wich i think its safe by now to assume that is way stronger than regular Haki.
And even if the Merrow Merrow does not affect Luffy we've seen her use her DF to hit Luffy in Amazon Lilly with that Pistol Kiss or something... (Chapter 518)
ShadowKiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 12:55   Link #196
Trax
Rock beats scissors
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
I think you are underestimating Buggy. Even though he is mainly portrayed as a laughable character with alternating fortunes and unfortunes, being the ex-nakama to Shanks, and being a member of the Roger's crew, when he was still young, he should have enough strength, that may easily go above Usopp's or Nami's.
Even the top pirate crews have their share of weaklings, so just because he was on Roger's ship doesn't mean he has the strength you would associate with that crew. Several characters that have seen him in action (or inaction) in the past few arcs have noted he's awfully weak for someone from Roger's crew.

Quote:
Buggy's main weakness is that he is not using his head much. He might have developed some techniques in the past but being in east blue so long, he might have abandoned them because of not needing them anymore. One interesting development regarding his character would be having one of the strongest hakis among all the characters (it would be surprising for him to have lasted this long, if he hadn't had the will to survive). Since he is closer to the idiot-side, not using it or not trying to improve it is something you would expect from him. If this fight is also meant to have him show some kind of development, maybe we will get to see some of it.
He has had plenty of chance to show his potential in the past few arcs, but has come up short. He couldn't even beat one Bulgori (although the move he tried was pretty cool). It's no wonder he went to lie low in East Blue, the weakest of the seas, which is how he managed to stay out of harm's way. And true, he's not that sharpest tool in the shed either.

Anyway, although anything is possible, I would be surprised to see any real development in Buggy's strength. Which is kind of a shame, since his role as comic relief thing is getting old.

And there's no way he'll join Luffy's crew. He has no purpose, he's weak, and most of all why the hell would he want to join them, just like the Strawhats wouldn't want him to join either.

About Boa joining the crew, she's stronger than Luffy in my book and has other obligations so I don't think that's going to happen either. I'd be happy to just see her interact with the crew at some point, should be very amusing.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 15:35   Link #197
AnimEcoli
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Why do you people think that a former enemy will join the crew? Did Oda mention it in a interview or something?
AnimEcoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 16:29   Link #198
ShadowKiko
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
And there's no way he'll join Luffy's crew. He has no purpose, he's weak, and most of all why the hell would he want to join them, just like the Strawhats wouldn't want him to join either.
Why would Buggy want to join then? Well... maybe because Buggy is useless and Luffy is getting stronger by the minute... And maybe Buggy could use a little (a lot) help to get the treasure he is looking after since i dont see him doing it on his own. He his week but then again so is Usopp and Nami. Yet he is a DF user and his power its kinda cool if he learns how to use it. Somehow i can see Luffy accepting Buggy in its crew even if the rest of the members are against... We've seen that before with Brook and Robin. Also only Nami and Zoro know Buggy from the strawhat's. And why would Robin join the strawhats? Yet... she is there isnt she? And she is not that strong eighter...
Yet again i just said that from the list of possibilities (Perona, Crocodile, Buggy, Bon Clay, Boa, etc) he and maybe Bon Clay (even though i still find his fighting hability too similar too Sanji's) would be the ones i can see in the strawhats... Even though i dont want to see Buggy in the crew since i hate that clown XD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimEcoli View Post
Why do you people think that a former enemy will join the crew? Did Oda mention it in a interview or something?
Yes he did... He said a former enemy would join... at least that was mentioned by someone in this forum... And since we have no chapter this week to talk about its a good topic anyway XD

Last edited by ShadowKiko; 2009-11-10 at 20:03.
ShadowKiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 16:51   Link #199
andy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKiko View Post
Why would Buggy want to join then? Well... maybe because Buggy is useless and Luffy is getting stronger by the minute... And maybe Buggy could use a little (a lot) help to get the treasure he is looking after since i dont see him doing it on his own. He his week but then again so is Usopp and Nami. Yet he is a DF user and his power its kinda cool if he learns how to use it. Somehow i can see Luffy accepting Buggy in its crew even if the rest of the members are against... We've seen that before with Brook and Robin. Also only Nami and Zoro know Buggy from the strawhat's. And why would Robin join the strawhats? Yet... she is there isnt she? And she is not that strong eighter...
Yet again i just said that from the list of possibilities (Perona, Crocodile, Buggy, Bon Clay, Boa, etc) he and maybe Bon Clay (even though i still find his fighting hability too similar too Sanji's) would be the ones i can see in the strawhats... Even though i dont want to see Buggy in the crew since i hate that clown XD.



Yes he did... He said a former member would join... at least that was mentioned by someone in this forum... And since we have no chapter this week to talk about its a good topic anyway XD
I am calling it now hachi going to join them for fishman island arc .
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 19:21   Link #200
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I am calling it now hachi going to join them for fishman island arc .
You mean as a temporary crew member, right? Like Vivi in Drum Island and Alabasta? Yeah, the chances of Hachi accompanying the strawhats throughout the Fishman Island arc are very high. He's most likely fully recuperated by now, and is probably waiting with Rayleigh back at the archipelago for the strawhats to reclaim their new coated ship.

One of the most interesting things to see will be how he'll interact with Jimbei. They're bound to have had some history in the past. Perhaps we'll discover more about the "pirates of the sun" founded by Fisher Tiger, Arlong's tyranny, and why Jimbei let Arlong loose in exchange for becoming one of the warlords.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.