AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2009-11-30, 15:33   Link #81
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Well, I opened the wallet and ordered a new machine.

Lenovo Y550

Nvidia GeForce GT240M
3 GB DDR3 RAM
Dual core 2.1 GHz intel processor
160 gig 5400 rpm hard drive.
Win 7 home premium 64 bit.

Yep, that's that...cost around $660 after tax.
Old 2009-12-02, 12:08   Link #82
Midnight Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Well, I opened the wallet and ordered a new machine.

Lenovo Y550

Nvidia GeForce GT240M
3 GB DDR3 RAM
Dual core 2.1 GHz intel processor
160 gig 5400 rpm hard drive.
Win 7 home premium 64 bit.

Yep, that's that...cost around $660 after tax.
nice and practical. How often do you upgrade, and when do you decide its time to? I try to do it every other year, and I go to a local computer show and pick up some parts. Most of the time I add in a bigger drive, a newer video card, and a new keyboard. I love the feel of crisp new keyboards lol. When I get something new, I also like to clean my whole room right away for some reason lol.
Midnight Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 14:57   Link #83
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Commando View Post
nice and practical. How often do you upgrade, and when do you decide its time to? I try to do it every other year, and I go to a local computer show and pick up some parts. Most of the time I add in a bigger drive, a newer video card, and a new keyboard. I love the feel of crisp new keyboards lol. When I get something new, I also like to clean my whole room right away for some reason lol.
Considering I'm a laptop guy, my "upgrade" ATM comes once every more than four years in terms of a new machine.
Old 2009-12-16, 20:15   Link #84
tkdtiger

i'm going to upgrade my alienware m15x to 4 gbs ram...1gb ram just doesn't cut it anymore...i'm really pissed that I bought this lap top too it is not a good lap top...i should have gone with newegg...not that thats an endorsement lol...

i'm also think of upgrading to windows 7 does any one know if it's good for games?

Last edited by tkdtiger; 2009-12-16 at 23:05.
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 23:59   Link #85
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdtiger View Post
i'm going to upgrade my alienware m15x to 4 gbs ram...1gb ram just doesn't cut it anymore...i'm really pissed that I bought this lap top too it is not a good lap top...i should have gone with newegg...not that thats an endorsement lol...

i'm also think of upgrading to windows 7 does any one know if it's good for games?
If your current OS is XP/Vista and is stable... I'd wait til after the first service pack release.

Win7 is better in some ways (stability, modularity, shiny, etc) but even more of a resource hog in other ways...

OTOH... be aware that only a little over 3GB of your new RAM will get used by Vista or XP -- its a limitation inherent in the OS because they didn't want to overlap with their server OS market.

I've been using the Win7 Release Candidate on my "serious work machine" since it came out and its been pretty rock solid... but I'm still using VistaSP2+ on my game machine.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 05:59   Link #86
Kage Musha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

OTOH... be aware that only a little over 3GB of your new RAM will get used by Vista or XP -- its a limitation inherent in the OS because they didn't want to overlap with their server OS market.
Windows 32-bit version won't be able to use more than 3/3,5 GB of RAM because of the memory mapping. 32-bit Windows can only address a TOTAL of 4 GB memory, which includes IO devices etc. This has nothing to do with server OS market.

If you run 64-bit Windows, you will be able to address more then the 4GB total memory.

I play console and PC games, mostly PC games: L4D, CS:S and Eternal Silence (which is one heck of a great game and free!).

PC-gaming has a lively mod-scene, so people will keep playing PC-gaming because it allows for more possibilities.
Kage Musha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 13:57   Link #87
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If your current OS is XP/Vista and is stable... I'd wait til after the first service pack release.

Win7 is better in some ways (stability, modularity, shiny, etc) but even more of a resource hog in other ways...

I've been using the Win7 Release Candidate on my "serious work machine" since it came out and its been pretty rock solid... but I'm still using VistaSP2+ on my game machine.
I realized that when I looked at it for my windows it'll be 3.25 gb for the ram with my current windows so I'm going to get 1 2gb and a 1gb ram...so it'll have 3gbs I don't think the .25 extra is worth it...thanks for the help I'll wait on getting win 7 my vista isn't so bad so far.
Old 2009-12-20, 19:10   Link #88
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

One of the biggest problems I'm seeing in the various forums that is repeatedly a "ball dropped by the game developers" is the 32 bit vs 64 bit OS problem - no matter which version of Windows is involved.

They test and develop the games in 32 bit, compile with 32 bit libraries.... and then wonder what the screams are for when the power gamers who have all uber'd their machines with 64 bit hardware and OSs can't get the game to install/run/notcrash.

Example: my son #2 runs XP Professional (64bit) ... Borderlands GPFs in less than an hour. I and son #1 run vista home 64bit.... Borderlands runs all day before other memory leak issues creep in. Each game seems to have different tolerance levels.
All machines are running the latest drivers, fully patched, etc.

Gear admits there is a "64 bit" problem... but asserts the frequency is low (belied by sheer numbers of forum rants).

Dunno... it has me thinking about staying with 32 bit OS for the near future and wasting the 64 bit hardware.
Old 2009-12-20, 19:18   Link #89
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
i gotta buy Windows7, maybe i can play through Fallout 3 without crashing 10mins into the game. (using Vista 32 atm)
Old 2009-12-20, 20:09   Link #90
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I've been a console gamer since I was a kid. I love it. However, I'm about to delve into PC gaming. I have a new PC coming to me via UPS; should arrive late this month/early next month. There are many games I'd like to check out on PC. The first one I'll go for is TES IV: Oblivion. I started playing it on PS3, but it is superior on PC, so I'm gonna play through the game on PC (Yay mods!). It'll also run better on my PC. Other games that are high on the check out list for PC games: Modern Warfare 1, Jedi Academy...maybe Just Cause 2 in the new year.

Edit: Just read about 64-bit Windows games crashing and such. I just hope that Oblivion runs well in 64-bit Windows. >.>

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2009-12-20 at 20:28.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 23:50   Link #91
Nosauz

TF2, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, Monkey Island, Monkey Island chapters, Full throttle, Grim Fandango, man there are SOOOOOO MANY games to list.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 02:20   Link #92
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

@Urzu 7: What genres do you like?

If you don't mind getting games through Steam instead of on a physical disc, you might want to keep track of the sales they have on that service. In the past year, they've had stuff like the Orange Box (A package of Half Life 2 + episodes 1 and 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2), Crysis Warhead, Mass Effect, and The Witcher for $10-$20 each, and that's not even close to an exhaustive list.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 08:42   Link #93
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Steam has had some amazing sales... I've picked up some wonderful "tiny little gems" for $2-$10.
(e.g. World of Goo, Torchlight, Osmos, etc). Even the Borderlands 4-pack was a good deal - I gave or sold the other copies in exchange for about $10 off of list.

The upside of Steam's model is a lot of little games that don't have the numbers to get full-scale production still get fed this way. I just hope they have a customer-friendly exit strategy if they close shop for whatever reason.
Old 2009-12-21, 08:52   Link #94
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Send a message via Skype™ to Poetic Justice
Just gotta pop in to say that Machinarium is the best adventure game I've played in years, Seriously.

The art, characterizations, music and puzzles are all top notch stuff.

Its a real breath of fresh air for adventure games and games in general.
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 08:58   Link #95
tkdtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
Great adventure games are still being made though...did you try this year's Machinarium yet?
i haven't heard of that game I'll check it out : )
Old 2009-12-22, 17:37   Link #96
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
@Urzu 7: What genres do you like?

If you don't mind getting games through Steam instead of on a physical disc, you might want to keep track of the sales they have on that service. In the past year, they've had stuff like the Orange Box (A package of Half Life 2 + episodes 1 and 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2), Crysis Warhead, Mass Effect, and The Witcher for $10-$20 each, and that's not even close to an exhaustive list.
I just recently became aware of Steam and D2D and Gametap are also similar sites. I found KOTOR for $10 on D2D. So it is good to see these game sites are good places to pick up games. I found Dark Forces on D2D...I want that. I really like Dark Forces. I bought the CD, but I can't run it with sound on XP. Hopefully this download will work with Windows 7.

As for what genres I like...I see that PCs, as a game platform, are strongest at certain genres, RPGs being one of them. I'm starting to get into western RPGs. I don't really care for RTS or real time strategy. I might wanna check out The Sims 3. That could be a fun game. I have never played an MMO. I might check out FF XIV; I'll keep an eye on it. And then there are FPS games. There are so many FPS games to check out on PC. I want to play MW 1 and a good WW II shooter (I was recommended CoD 2). Then there is Orange Box. IIRC, Orange Box comes with a remake of Half Life 1, right? I'd like to check that out and HL 2 and HL 2 Ep. 2.

There are several PC games I'd like to check out, really. I'm started to think that Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 look pretty good, too. What do you guys think I should check out first; KOTOR, or Mass Effect?

Any Elder Scrolls fans here? I really like Oblivion. It is the first WRPG I've had extensive play time with. I hope that they have TES V out not too long after Brink.
Old 2009-12-22, 19:03   Link #97
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

The Steam forums thread for Dark Forces makes reference to DosBox, so I assume that's how they run it. DosBox is a free download, so if you're willing to try tinkering with some settings you can always try and run your current copy of Dark Forces using that:
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=711&letter=D

I should also note that for some reason the D2D Jedi Knight Package includes Dark Forces and Jedi Knight II and III, but not the original Jedi Knight and its expansion. The Steam version, which sells for $20 instead of $15 does. I seem to remember hearing that not every feature in the original Jedi Knight works under Vista/7, but that the game is playable, at least in single player.

Orange Box includes Half Life 2 and it's "episodes" only - the original Half Life is another $10 ($15 with the Opposing Force and Blue Shift expansions).

On the RPG front, the big two you haven't mentioned are Dragon Age and The Witcher. I like The Witcher quite a bit myself. Haven't tried Dragon Age but every RPG fan I know is raving about it.

FPSes other than Half Life and CoD... I'm a huge fan of the original Far Cry. The game has some really nice, big levels with dense jungle, and this level design actually does have an impact on how the game plays. Only $10 on Steam too.

(Crytek's later games (Crysis and Crysis Warhead) actually do have some good gameplay despite their reputation for being tech demos, but they're also shorter than the original Far Cry and the first Crysis has a few weak levels. Far Cry 2 (made by Ubisoft instead of Crytek) is a very different game from the Crytek developed one and I haven't played enough of it to really get a good feel for it.)

If you're willing to try older titles that may require you to look around for a copy, No One Lives Forever and Wheel of Time are two of the more unique FPSes out there (and yes, they actually managed to make a decent FPS out of the latter!). I've heard NOLF works pretty well with Vista/7. WoT might be a bit trickier... given that the game required a noCD crack just to run in XP (the copy protection scheme isn't compatible with XP so you have to break it), I get the impression it might be a little tricky to get working.

Edit:
BTW, Steam has Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl on for $2 right now as a one day sale. I haven't gotten a chance to actually play through it myself yet, but I have a friend who is a HUGE fan of the Stalker franchise. It's apparently quite a difficult game though.

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2009-12-22 at 20:00.
Old 2009-12-22, 20:11   Link #98
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

All of a sudden, there are so many PC games I wanna check out!

Hmm...I could try Dragon Age, which looks good. Although, I hear that it is very important to manage your party and issues commands quickly and accurately during combat. I'm such a noob at this stuff. The learning curve is significant for me. Not too much, but significant. Can you alter the difficulty in Dragon Age for PC? I'd like to set it lower than the normal difficulty so I can ease my way into the game.

So did I recall correctly about a Half Life remake? I'd prefer to play a remake with nicer graphics than the 1998 original. Orange Box seems like a buy you just can't go wrong with, btw.

There are so many good games to choose from, but there will only be a few I'll get in the first half of 2010. Restrictions with time and money, which most relate to. Hardly anyone can just do nothing more than eat, sleep, and game, outside of game journalist. So...the top 3 PC games I'd like to play in the next 6 or 7 months...I really don't know. High on the list, other than Oblivion, are the first Modern Warfare, Just Cause 2, Dragon Age, Mass Effect and...those are highest on the list. Half Life games are games I want to check out, and I was thinking about Far Cry 2, but you recommend Far Cry 1. I think I'd like to check out Far Cry 1 first.

I'll probably check out Fallout 3 at some point. What makes it so good, anyway? I'm not very drawn to it, but a lot of people seem to really like it. Share with me what makes the game great (this is directed towards anyone who is reading this). Oh, and is The Sims 3 worth checking out?

Now that I think of it, I think I'll go for two RPGs and two FPS games. For me, that'll be enough for my plate for like half of 2010; probably through the summer, even (there are also 2 or 3 PS3 games I wanna play in the spring). I think I'll just go with Oblivion, MW, Far Cry, and then Dragon Age or Mass Effect...both of those games interest me. I might go with Dragon Age, though, I really like fantasy RPGs. Not like I actually decided on the games I'll be checking out first. I'm sure I'll change my mind. I just like to put only so much on my plate for gaming. When I play games, I usually just focus on one or two games at once. I don't know how some people focus on like 5 games at once. >.>

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2009-12-22 at 20:21.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-22, 20:49   Link #99
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Made a little edit to my previous post, BTW. Just thought I'd mention it here.

Anyway:
-I discussed the "party management" angle of Dragon Age with a friend, since I haven't played very many complex RPGs myself. His recommendation was to pause to give orders - he thought it might be possible to play the game without pausing on the easiest difficulty (so yes, apparently there is an easier difficulty), but even there he advised against it.
-Half Life remake: I actually had to research this. There's two versions of Half Life on steam, the original version and Half Life: Source, which is pretty much the same game except based on the Half Life 2 engine. Looks wise there's very little difference between the two. However, there's a high definition mod for Half Life: Source that makes the game look far more "up to date". The downside of Half Life: Source is that it doesn't support the two expansions. Some fans are actually doing their own remake of Half Life, known as Black Mesa, that will run on the Half Life 2 engine, but I don't know if and when this will actually be released.
(BTW, there are actually quite a few graphics enhancements mods out there, including high resolution texture mods for Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Dragon Age. You have the power to run them, so if you have the bandwidth to download anywhere from a few hundred meg to a couple gigs you might want to take a look.)
-Fallout 3 is made by the same company that made Oblivion and is a similar style of game, just in a post apocalyptic setting instead of a fantasy one.

Old 2009-12-22, 21:10   Link #100
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Well, that was a very informative post. Cookies for you for all the helpful posts recently (especially the graphics card thread).

Yeah, Bethesda made Fallout 3. I look forward to Brink, too. For Oblivion, I like the huge assortment of mods. There is a race mod which I want. It has two races I want. One is a catgirl/catboy race, and the other is the mystic elf race. I'm thinking of making a female mystic elf character and making her a magic user that is good with the bow and has good sneak proficiency (I want to make a custom class with her majoring in Marksman, Restoration, Alteration, Blade, Destruction, Illusion and either Sneak or Light Armor (probably Light Armor). I'd like to play a catgirl for a future play through. I'd probably go for a character with less magical prowess (one or two magic majors) and more emphasis on combat with the catgirl character. For Oblivion fans, with this mystic elf character I want to make...what sign should I choose, and what attributes should I specialize in? I was thinking of specializing in Willpower and Agility (Willpower is good for 3 of those 4 magic types and agility is good for Sneak and Marksman). I hear The Apprentice is good for character with much emphasis on magic. The Mage is good for that, too (less magicka bonus, but no penalty). Woo, I'm a geek.

I'll check out graphical enhancement mods. People say that the better textures mod is a good one. I'd like to get this mod that allows you to see more things in the distance. However, it is graphically intensive. If I can run that mod and the first mod (better textures) and still run the game at a good frame rate, I'll go for both mods.

About Half Life: Source...what about the two expansions? They never made the two expansions with HL 2 graphics, is that what you mean?