AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-11-10, 08:47   Link #1
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Sesame Street turns 40

Quote:
New York (Nov 10): Sesame Street is celebrating its 40th anniversary today, and First Lady Michelle Obama will visit the street as a special guest to help kick off the new season.

For four decades, Sesame Street has been educating and entertaining children on the ABCs, 123s and on other topics in life. Just about everyone in their 40s and younger can sing the show's theme song, Sunny Days.

Sesame Street has won 122 Emmy Awards through out its 40 years. It is entertaining children in over 120 countries. Regardless of the country, the show's ultimate goal is to teach preschoolers in all areas of their development and not just their ABCs and 123s.

Madcap skits
Since the start of Sesame Street, the show has addressed issues that kids face every day. During the show's first season it was banned in Mississippi because of its mixed-race programing. In recent years, the show has tackled other controversial topics, such as Aids. The muppet character Kami is HIV positive in the South African version of Sesame Street.

The show's madcap skits busted the myth that children's programming couldn't be educational and entertaining at the same time, let alone occasionally hilarious. And if some of the cleverly sly references — such as Guy Smiley spoofing This Is Your Life for a ratty old sneaker — went over the target audience's heads, they also drew parents to watch alongside the kids. That's a feat in itself. Mr Rogers was a great guy, but how many adults wanted to watch him change his shoes each day?

Educators were thrilled that children were entering school with a grasp of letters, colours and elementary numbers. Later, the show was criticised as too winsome, leading children to expect that the elements of reading and maths would bounce in bright colors across the classroom. Nowadays, though, teachers are probably just grateful if kindergartners aren't texting in class.

Big Bird buys land
Sesame Street's 40th anniversary kicks off with episode 4,187. The episode is titled Frankly It's Becoming A Habitat. During the show, Big Bird meets Freddy Flapman, who tries to sell real estate to the muppet.

Freddy takes Big Bird to different habitats such as the beach, swamp and rainforest. Big Bird really likes the rainforest, so he decides to leave Sesame Street and move there. You can see the trailer here.

When Sesame Street first aired on television 40 years ago, its first episode was brought to you by the letters W, S and E and the numbers two and three. The first episode of Sesame Street's 40th anniversary is being brought to you by the letter H and, of course, the number 40.

- HULIQ.COM, LA TIMES
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 09:47   Link #2
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Good old sesame street. I used to love watchin that as a kid and even when i was in my teens, it came on, I'd watch it. Good old days. Too bad its not shown in the UK anymore.
I miss Bert & Ernie, Cookie monster and even Big Bird
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 10:12   Link #3
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
I remembered watching Sesame Street when I was a child and also in elementary school on PBS. It was good memories...

Surprised on how old it is... it's twice of my age. =p
Old 2009-11-10, 10:14   Link #4
Solafighter
Hige

So nostalgic.
Old 2009-11-10, 10:43   Link #5
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I watched it a few times when I was in elementary in the US. Can't say I'm too fond of it but I did like it while I watched it for that short time I was there.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 10:50   Link #6
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Whippersnappers.

I remember the old episodes from the late 1970s which still featured Mr Hooper he was Sesame Street's greengrocer. There was a special episode in which Big Bird learns about death, after the actor who played Mr Hooper died in real life.

There was also the episode in which they planted a fake tree in the street after the "real" one got chopped down or so I think. I remember that episode only vaguely.

I continued watching Sesame Street on and off, right up till to around the time when the adults finally realised that Snuffaluffagus was real and not simply Big Bird's imaginary friend.

Those were the heydays of the Muppets, really, back when The Muppet Show and The Electric Company were also popular with kids.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 11:23   Link #7
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I miss Cookie Monster. He's totally been killed off, so to speak.
Old 2009-11-10, 12:15   Link #8
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Ah, this brought back nice memories of my childhood. Never knew it was that old, though.
Old 2009-11-10, 19:23   Link #9
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Admittedly, I didn't really get into Sesame Street when I was a kid. I always preferred Reading Rainbow and Arthur and the shows on Nick Jr. like Little Bear, The Busy World of Richard Scarry, and Gullah Gullah Island.

But it's good to see that one of these is still going(I think Arthur is still going too).
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 20:32   Link #10
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Admittedly, I didn't really get into Sesame Street when I was a kid. I always preferred Reading Rainbow and Arthur and the shows on Nick Jr. like Little Bear, The Busy World of Richard Scarry, and Gullah Gullah Island.

But it's good to see that one of these is still going(I think Arthur is still going too).
Little Bear is still running as far as I know.
Old 2009-11-10, 21:08   Link #11
Haladflire65
*Artist

I loved Sesame Street so much and I'm happy it's lasting for this long. I learned a whole lot of English from the show... It made me really happy to see the Sesame Street Google banners...
Old 2009-11-10, 21:14   Link #12
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Little Bear is still running as far as I know.
Actually I believe that series ended quite a long time ago (like around 2000/2001).
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 21:19   Link #13
LusterFlare
Lost.

All I remember is Elmo's world lol.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 21:28   Link #14
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Actually I believe that series ended quite a long time ago (like around 2000/2001).
Did it? I've seen commercials for it whenever I babysit the little kids of my neighborhood....
Old 2009-11-10, 21:30   Link #15
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Did it? I've seen commercials for it whenever I babysit the little kids of my neighborhood....
Well they still show reruns.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 21:43   Link #16
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Well they still show reruns.
Oh, so it's technically still running, there just aren't anymore new episodes.
Old 2009-11-10, 22:13   Link #17
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

Sesame Street has to be the longest running show on American TV ever (even longer than Simpsons)! I sometimes watch clips whenever I can even though I'm on my teens still.
PrincessFrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 22:29   Link #18
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFrani View Post
Sesame Street has to be the longest running show on American TV ever (even longer than Simpsons)! I sometimes watch clips whenever I can even though I'm on my teens still.
Not really close. Meet the Press, still ongoing, is the longest at 61 years; Guiding Light is the longest fiction show at 56 years, which ended this year I believe.

Sesame Street has had an impressive length for a kid's show, though.
Ansalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 22:34   Link #19
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Send a message via Skype™ to Throne Invader
Aww. I used to always watch this when I was in elementary. I'd always get irritated if I slept too much and missed the show

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 01:24   Link #20
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Ahh, I also watched my fair share of Sesame Street episodes back when I was a little one.

It used to confuse me a bit when televisa mixed dubbed episodes of the american version with the spanish one. Back then, I actually believed that Big Bird and Abelardo took turns to appear in the show.

Can't really remember if the two ever appeared together in an episode, btw.