AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Old 2009-12-26, 04:59   Link #21
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

War of the Gods is mostly likely the 2011 one. That will be a visually masterpiece. It is by the director of the "The Fall".

On to this, The footage doesn't look bad. The terrible editing to the trailer and generic rock music does make it look bad.
Old 2009-12-27, 21:59   Link #22
Dralha

The original remains one of my favorites.

This one looks flashy, but I doubt it'll be nearly as good.
Old 2010-01-12, 06:16   Link #23
killer3000ad

Second trailer for the movie has been around for a bit. Kraken unveil at the end.
Old 2010-04-16, 19:43   Link #24
Tiberium Wolf

I think the movie was pretty good! But it seems like everyone is bashing it.
Old 2010-04-16, 19:52   Link #25
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Looks like this movie was underestimated a bit.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 23:27   Link #26
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

So guys, is this worth seing?

I'm a huge fan of the very first version of Clash of the Titans, I'll not asept the movie unless it's as good or better than the original one.
Old 2010-04-17, 01:59   Link #27
Albafica
Pisces no saint

I didn't watch the first one, but this movie by Louis Leterrier ( a french!) is .... MEH!!!
The story was boring (what the hell, Hadès from the sea?), special effects are ok (but the 3D is pure bullshit), characters are boring too, fights are meh (the kraken... ), too much conventional, not epic at all!!!
Well try to watch it, some people like this movie...

By the way, here posters of "Clash of The Titans" by Kurumada (Louis Leterrier was a fan of Saint Seiya and asked Kurumada to do these posters):

Old 2010-04-17, 13:37   Link #28
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
I think it was seriously hurt by the misleading preview trailers... it might be better than anticipated.
Old 2010-04-17, 14:51   Link #29
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I think the movie was pretty good! But it seems like everyone is bashing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Nah its just the old geezers here trolling everything new as usual.
Old 2010-04-17, 14:59   Link #30
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I've heard tons of negative comments about this movie by a few of my classmates who went ahead and saw it (without me ). Their main problem was that "the movie didn't stay true to mythology" and they had "a feeling of being stupid" as they were watching it. I'll definitely be watching this, I mean how bad can it be? I survived avatar
Old 2010-04-17, 15:21   Link #31
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I've heard tons of negative comments about this movie by a few of my classmates who went ahead and saw it (without me ). Their main problem was that "the movie didn't stay true to mythology" and they had "a feeling of being stupid" as they were watching it. I'll definitely be watching this, I mean how bad can it be? I survived avatar
How is it your classmates are all mythology geeks? I don't even know the gods names, except the main ones like Zeus, Hades.
Old 2010-04-17, 17:00   Link #32
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Pretty much everyone knows mythology up to the Titans, Gaia and Uranus. It's what we used to read before the existence of manga came to our knowledge :P Think monster of the week, but every day, as a bedtime story.
Old 2010-04-17, 17:05   Link #33
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Pretty much everyone knows mythology up to the Titans, Gaia and Uranus.
Wait... there's more?
Old 2010-04-17, 18:02   Link #34
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Pretty much everyone knows mythology up to the Titans, Gaia and Uranus. It's what we used to read before the existence of manga came to our knowledge :P Think monster of the week, but every day, as a bedtime story.
I love mythology too and I studied a lot of it. But still, the first version of Clash of the Titans was not loyal to the exactly mythological stories either.
Old 2010-04-17, 20:13   Link #35
Rahan

Obviously, greeks will be nerdy about greek mythology ...

A friend of mine whined the eagles shown in the movie were of a specie that lives only in the US while another wanted Pegasus to throw meteors and whined the Kraken belonged to the Poseidon arc, not the Hades one ... (when in fact, the kraken doesn't even belong to greek mythology)

As for me, the best part was the ending, when Zeus went :
"Here is your reward ... VAGINA !". I went totally WTF since it kinda came out of nowhere and it wasn't the correct one according to mythology.

Last edited by Rahan; 2010-04-17 at 20:26.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 23:24   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, anyone who took college-prep humanities senior English in high school SHOULD have been thoroughly exposed to both the Greek and Norse mythologies - they form the context and archetype for much of literature. There's usually at least a few units on the Roman/Greek pantheon in middle school as well.

How else could you properly enjoy the refrains of "Keel da Wabbit!"?
Old 2010-04-18, 00:40   Link #37
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Having it as part of a required course in school and actually enjoying it enough to study it independently are two different things.

And yes, I can recall studying Greek and Roman Mythology about four separate times from middle school to high school. Any knowledge I may of had of it afterward has pretty much faded away to lack of use, though.

Last edited by Dilla; 2010-04-18 at 01:56.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 02:31   Link #38
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Saw it, actually thought it wasn't bad, hubby said the Kraken looks like the Rancor

Anywho, it stayed somewhat faithful to the original, which butchered mythology anyway so you can't possibly go in expecting it to be accurate ffs...

But boy did Andromeda get the shaft o.O poor girl... that part I did go "Wait wtf???" lol

And this is all coming from a woman who read so much greek mythology I actually considered pursuing a degree in it I would've torn the movie apart if I'd expected it to be accurate

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 03:11   Link #39
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
It wasn't bad. Hell, it wasn't that good either. Just another action packed, effects heavy, money making monster packed with 3D and a slightly silly happy ending (hello Hollywood!).

But I gotta admit, the actor choices were pretty good. Well, maybe except for Worthington. He's a good actor, true, but he didn't really fit in that much (compared to his brothers in arms). The portrayal of gods was quite nice too.

I don't remember the original that much though, so I can't really compare the version differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
Saw it, actually thought it wasn't bad, hubby said the Kraken looks like the Rancor
So I'm not the only one who thought of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Well, I did enjoy it on 3D, though there are little moments where the 3D factor can really be noticeable.
Would have been better off without it in this case, I think. Avatar emphasised the 3D a LOT more and in a better way. Here, it only made the screen blurry and chaotic, not really achieving any spectacular "wow!" moment. Not even when the Kraken appears.

Last edited by Larthak; 2010-04-18 at 05:02.
Larthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 04:17   Link #40
Marcus H.
Concealed Chuunibyou

It was like Thor was looking WTF on Asgard and was asking the Gods there "Who the heck let Zeus borrow the Kraken?!" Plus, I remembered that Perseus slew a giant fish (a Leviathan), not an octopus-like beast.

Well, I did enjoy it on 3D, though there are little moments where the 3D factor can really be noticeable.
Log Horizon, Strike the Blood and Tokyo Ravens from Fall 2013.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 192. Plan to watch: 31.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote