AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 22 16.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 16.54%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 33 24.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 29 21.80%
6 out of 10 : Average 16 12.03%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 5.26%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.75%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.75%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.75%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-11-13, 08:25   Link #141
Neofio3
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: That's right... where DO I live?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttak View Post
Ok, so judging by the preview of episode 21
Spoiler for next episode, related with ange's flashback on this episode:
I would have preferred they kept the flashback out and kept the line "but you threw that friend away", with Mammon acting a bit pissed.

Just personal preference perhaps, but it would have added a bit of characterization to the (as of now) most important stake.
__________________
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
- Terry Pratchett
Neofio3 is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 09:08   Link #142
urusai
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Nah, it'd probably confuse viewers because TIME PARADOX
urusai is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 10:55   Link #143
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Age: 33
This episode made me think of something... Maybe it's not the letters/stories in the bottles that are important, but the bottles themselves. Battler WAS drinking quite a bit at the end of Arc 2 after all...
lovelysan is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 11:20   Link #144
TheForsaken
Winter is coming
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Um, then? I don't get your point
__________________
TheForsaken is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 11:27   Link #145
Neofio3
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: That's right... where DO I live?!
That Battler, being in all cases the last one alive, drinks himself sloshed then writes down what happened?

What happened in events where he isn't even present, from an omniscient narrator's perspective, no less.
__________________
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
- Terry Pratchett
Neofio3 is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 11:28   Link #146
maximilianjenus
[E]
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
wow, cool theory, so battler is beatrice?
maximilianjenus is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 12:19   Link #147
TheForsaken
Winter is coming
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exactly.
Because if he can write down everything in detail while being drunk, he must be a witch.
This is something absolutely impossible for human
__________________
TheForsaken is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 13:12   Link #148
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
And then sign it Maria Ushiromiya.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 13:16   Link #149
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
And then sign it Maria Ushiromiya.
Just goes to show how drunk he was
k//eternal is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 13:17   Link #150
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Of course...how does he write all this down....if Eva shot him?
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 13:18   Link #151
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Where was he shot exactly? Maybe that's how he became "Maria" !!!!
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 13:41   Link #152
maximilianjenus
[E]
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
One of the basis of the theory is that the person writing the letters has memories of the previous worlds, thus that person can throw the bootles in the sea even before the storm starts. Actually, there is little logic to throwing them after the first twilight, so said person can't know which kakera they will be in.

[EDIT]

oh, and the person who writes the letters is beatrice, because as seen in ange's investigation, the writing of the letters is teh same as the writing done by beatrice in the mariage sorcerie contract.

Last edited by maximilianjenus; 2009-11-13 at 13:44. Reason: more info
maximilianjenus is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 14:22   Link #153
Dawnbringerz
性転換団長
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dango Planet
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
One of the basis of the theory is that the person writing the letters has memories of the previous worlds, thus that person can throw the bootles in the sea even before the storm starts. Actually, there is little logic to throwing them after the first twilight, so said person can't know which kakera they will be in.

[EDIT]

oh, and the person who writes the letters is beatrice, because as seen in ange's investigation, the writing of the letters is teh same as the writing done by beatrice in the mariage sorcerie contract.
If we look at the same handwriting thing from another point of view,

We can also infer that it really is Maria who wrote those letters. Not our uu uu Maria, but more like the Maria who became a witch and disguised herself as Beato Beatrice. (Beato = Maria all along)

i.e. Everything in Umineko is all but Maria'a doing to bring her family back.
Dawnbringerz is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 18:08   Link #154
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fighting against those who oppress the system
What kind of Lambda and Ange confrontation was that?!!! If that was it, then they BUTCHERED another scene. (and lacking Mirage Coordinator to boot)
__________________

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 18:37   Link #155
Arbane the Terrible
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnbringerz View Post
If we look at the same handwriting thing from another point of view,

We can also infer that it really is Maria who wrote those letters. Not our uu uu Maria, but more like the Maria who became a witch and disguised herself as Beato Beatrice. (Beato = Maria all along)

i.e. Everything in Umineko is all but Maria'a doing to bring her family back.
That would hold up better if it wasn't "Beatrice" who was killing them all in the first place. And I'm guessing Beatrice's note in the diary didn't match the rest of Maria's handwriting.
Arbane the Terrible is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 19:30   Link #156
Workworkwork
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: a better place than here
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
What kind of Lambda and Ange confrontation was that?!!! If that was it, then they BUTCHERED another scene. (and lacking Mirage Coordinator to boot)
There IS one last time they can use it. Maybe they're saving it for that scene?
Workworkwork is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 22:16   Link #157
chounokoe
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to chounokoe Send a message via Skype™ to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
One of the basis of the theory is that the person writing the letters has memories of the previous worlds, thus that person can throw the bootles in the sea even before the storm starts. Actually, there is little logic to throwing them after the first twilight, so said person can't know which kakera they will be in.
Still I don't like the 'memories kept' theory, because I would find it a too heavy Higurashi left-over if it is not explained well enough...this way around it would be the same as the cry for help in Higurashi.
I prefer the theory that whoever throws those letters in the ocean has several possible outcomes planed and throws a letter in for every possible combination of killings...we don't know if those 2 letters were the only one's that were thrown into the ocean from Rokkenjima.
In the end we only know that the letter describes the killings and a plead for help, if it is planned out beforehand it's not a big task to make it seem like it follows one of the letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workworkwork View Post
There IS one last time they can use it. Maybe they're saving it for that scene?
Well actually there are still 2 instances they can use it and I think they will in one of them (the one where there is less talk).
__________________
愛が無ければ・・・視えない!!
chounokoe is offline  
Old 2009-11-13, 23:09   Link #158
Neofio3
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: That's right... where DO I live?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
Still I don't like the 'memories kept' theory, because I would find it a too heavy Higurashi left-over if it is not explained well enough...this way around it would be the same as the cry for help in Higurashi.
I prefer the theory that whoever throws those letters in the ocean has several possible outcomes planed and throws a letter in for every possible combination of killings...we don't know if those 2 letters were the only one's that were thrown into the ocean from Rokkenjima.
In the end we only know that the letter describes the killings and a plead for help, if it is planned out beforehand it's not a big task to make it seem like it follows one of the letters.
Okay... its been bothering me for some time, because there will surely be some sort of plot device at work in Umineko (same as Higurashi's "reset" plot device), but reusing the same plot device would seem contrived and unoriginal.

So instead of a reset where a character plays out events again and again, what about precognition? A character (the story's "Rika" - Special Person A), has the ability to see the future, and writes down multiple versions of future events as he/she sees them take place, including their own murder. She/he would then ask anyone to "find out the truth", the truth about the future, because special person A might not even be sure what they wrote down is actually going to happen, only a sense of dread, or foreboding, or whatever.

This person would feel even more trapped than Rika in Higurashi. Unlike Rika, Special Person A would have absolutely no say in his/her fate, and wouldn't even be sure what they wrote down would correspond to reality. They would only know when the proverbial shit hits the fan (long after the bottles have been sent out).
__________________
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
- Terry Pratchett
Neofio3 is offline  
Old 2009-11-14, 01:30   Link #159
Shamisen
Talking Cat
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
Exactly.
Because if he can write down everything in detail while being drunk, he must be a witch.
This is something absolutely impossible for human
A lot of famous writers are drunk while writing. Just look at Hemmingway.
__________________
Shamisen is offline  
Old 2009-11-14, 01:39   Link #160
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
So far the closest you have to Special Person A is either Battler (unlikely) and Beatrice...who is suppose to not exist.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.