AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-12, 13:44   Link #121
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
It's just what I believe. I'm not criticizing or looking down on anybody's veiws am I? I hold the belief that when you're put into that situation, you become a family, related or not. Where I come from, dating within the family is wrong, related or not. This all boils down to cultural differences, I believe. I respect the opposing opinions, but I don't agree with them. Like I said before, I enjoy this anime, but to me it isn't too hard to understand the complaints this series gets.
That's not really what I was getting at.

You make two scenarios here:
1. Guy falls in love with girl, then girl becomes his stepsister.
2. Girl becomes the guy's stepsister, then he falls in love with her.

To you, scenario 1 would be a-okay (or at the very least less bothersome), but scenario 2 would not, even though the final result is the same: a guy has a stepsister whom he has fallen in love with. Why?

I guess this show is one of many that likes testing taboos.
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 13:50   Link #122
dredmorte

Here's a curiosity for you.

If they have been brother and (step)sister since young age, they SHOULD NOT (naturally) feel attracted.

If they are both attractive, are blood related, but only meet each other later in life, they SHOULD feel attracted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerm...ermarck_effect

So ya, the situation in the anime is pretty much impossible, but you know what? It's a freacking anime!
dredmorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 16:24   Link #123
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredmorte View Post
So ya, the situation in the anime is pretty much impossible, but you know what? It's a freacking anime!
Anime = serious business, especially if it deals with taboos.
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 16:26   Link #124
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Anime = serious business, especially if it deals with taboos.
That's because taboo only reduces the win potential of incest (wincest)

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 17:11   Link #125
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
That's not really what I was getting at.

You make two scenarios here:
1. Guy falls in love with girl, then girl becomes his stepsister.
2. Girl becomes the guy's stepsister, then he falls in love with her.

To you, scenario 1 would be a-okay (or at the very least less bothersome), but scenario 2 would not, even though the final result is the same: a guy has a stepsister whom he has fallen in love with. Why?

I guess this show is one of many that likes testing taboos.
Scenerio 2 would be making advances at another family member. Like I said, I consider Kiss X Sis's situation a family. Once the parents get married, you're a family IMO. To me, It's not normal to date within the family, related or not. I also said that where I come from, Situation two is taboo. Not as bad as incest, of course, but a Taboo nonetheless. For the record, I'm not saying that this show is incest, I'm just pointing out that such a situation isn't really okay either IMO.

Now, if ALL this happens BEFORE the parents get married, meaning that the girl and boy were normal childhood friends that fell in love, then I can see some grey area. Like I said, IDK what I would do in such a situation, so I can't really answer you.

The difference between the two scenarios is that in scenario two, she tries to get with the guy, despite knowing that they're now a family. That's something that I think shouldn't be done. I understand your arguments, but I can not agree with them.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 17:41   Link #126
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

do you guys even know the real reason why incest is prohibited other than culturally and socially constructed standards?
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 18:19   Link #127
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Here's a curiosity for you.

If they have been brother and (step)sister since young age, they SHOULD NOT (naturally) feel attracted.

If they are both attractive, are blood related, but only meet each other later in life, they SHOULD feel attracted.

Not necessarily, it's not impossible. Whether someone should or shouldn't feel attracted to someone depends on the individual. The reason that incest even exists is because it's possible, you can't say this applies to everyone and generalize it like that.

"The mind works in mysterious ways"

While it might be rare, there are always exceptions.

Quote:
It's just what I believe. I'm not criticizing or looking down on anybody's veiws am I? I hold the belief that when you're put into that situation, you become a family, related or not. Where I come from, dating within the family is wrong, related or not. This all boils down to cultural differences, I believe. I respect the opposing opinions, but I don't agree with them. Like I said before, I enjoy this anime, but to me it isn't too hard to understand the complaints this series gets.
It's not so much that it's hard to understand the complaints, but I just don't understand why someone takes it serious when this series is clearly a comedy/ecchi show. If they wanted to make incest a focal point, they would have done so. People read the synopsis and if it disgusts them so much, why watch it? I would understand if someone wants to complain about character development and such, but to complain about something that should be an afterthought? I just find that to be a little extreme.

I just believe some people should loosen up and just watch the show for what it is, not for what they want to make it out to be. If people really want to discuss incest that badly, find the Koi Kaze thread and do it there because it's a little distracting considering this show should be making you laugh (just to make things clear, I'm not specifically referring to you )

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 18:37   Link #128
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
It's not so much that it's hard to understand the complaints, but I just don't understand why someone takes it serious when this series is clearly a comedy/ecchi show. If they wanted to make incest a focal point, they would have done so. People read the synopsis and if it disgusts them so much, why watch it? I would understand if someone wants to complain about character development and such, but to complain about something that should be an afterthought? I just find that to be a little extreme.

I just believe some people should loosen up and just watch the show for what it is, not for what they want to make it out to be. If people really want to discuss incest that badly, find the Koi Kaze thread and do it there because it's a little distracting considering this show should be making you laugh (just to make things clear, I'm not specifically referring to you )
Oh, trust me, I like this show, just to make things clear. I was sort of playing Devil's Advocate so to speak. I agree that they are overreacting a bit, but it isn't too hard to see why. Incest a pretty hot button issue in some regions of the world, and not all cultures view incest the same way. So to some people, this is incest.

I agree that this show gets way too much flack. I was a mild defender of the show when the OVA's were coming out. While I oppose the concept, I will admit that it's pretty funny and it has some good ecchi. Like I said, it vaguely irks me, but NOT enough to hinder my enjoyment of the show.

Just to clarify my position lol .
Old 2010-04-12, 20:03   Link #129
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:

Quote:
Reverse sexual imprinting is also seen: when two people live in close domestic proximity during the first few years in the life of either one, both are desensitized to later close sexual attraction. ... This result provides evidence not only that the Westermarck effect is demonstrable, but that it operates during the critical period from birth to the age of six.
When close proximity during this critical period does not occur—for example, where a brother and sister are brought up separately, never meeting one another—they may find one another highly sexually attractive.
They most certainly haven't lived together for the first few years of their lives, so there's nothing unusual about finding themselves sexually attractive.
Old 2010-04-12, 20:33   Link #130
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Didn't an old episode of Brady Bunch touch on this between Marsha and Greg?

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 20:52   Link #131
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
They most certainly haven't lived together for the first few years of their lives, so there's nothing unusual about finding themselves sexually attractive.
How early is "first few years"? Because their parents actually did marry when they were young. I think Keita first met them when he was 4 or 5.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 21:12   Link #132
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
How early is "first few years"? Because their parents actually did marry when they were young. I think Keita first met them when he was 4 or 5.
Is that just an assumption of you, or can you back it up?
Old 2010-04-12, 21:42   Link #133
GDB

Quote:
Just flipping through, I can't find the chapter I'm looking for (too tired to re-read, and can't find the scene I was looking for by flipping through). In any case, he was definitely quite young when they first met.
Old 2010-04-13, 06:33   Link #134
eiyuu99

Westermarck effect - "operates during the critical period from birth to the age of six".

During the period of "when we were little",
Keita had savings, apart from new year's money, and social studies, where he learned about marriage.
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 20:18   Link #135
Nosauz

god this show is just average all fronts, and production values were very hit and miss. Still not bad but just average all around, do have to say the music is really bad though.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 16:13   Link #136
DarkWish
Proclaimed Perv

Send a message via MSN to DarkWish
The music is fine for me , whats so bad about it?
Old 2010-04-15, 17:50   Link #137
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
The 2nd episode implies it was at most he was 10.

First kiss from Keita was 4 years before. 10th grade -4 = 6th grade.
He's a year younger
5th grade = 10

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 18:11   Link #138
wingman32x

Episode 2 was decent. Lol, with lessons like that any guy would remember lol. That being said, I thought most of the humor has fallen flat so far. Looks like they ramped up the ecchi quite a bit. IDK how I feel about this series. It does a good job in the ecchi department, but the humor seems to fall flat. Oh yeah, does anyone else find keita's friends annoying? Overall, for me, I'm pretty close to dropping this as a weekly series, meaning I'll wait till it finishes airing before I go back to it.
Old 2010-04-15, 18:22   Link #139
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
The 2nd episode implies it was at most he was 10.

First kiss from Keita was 4 years before. 10th grade -4 = 6th grade.
He's a year younger
5th grade = 10
It was definitely before then that they first met.
Spoiler for Possibly vague spoilers?:
Old 2010-04-15, 20:49   Link #140
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWish View Post
The music is fine for me, whats so bad about it?
The music is fine for me too... then again, I'm not tonedeaf

Quote:
It does a good job in the ecchi department
Yes, loved the new lesson style
Another plus for a good show.

Quote:
but the humor seems to fall flat.
Wouldn't say so. You can't compare it to the zany humour in Baka Test, but it's still good.

Overally, a definite keeper for me

Tags
comedy, romance, seinen