AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Old 2010-10-29, 13:12   Link #741
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
"Umm...what's with the barbed wire? And what happened to Battle Frontier?"
Well, it could be a..."thorny" version of the red string of fate to indicate how intertwined their lives have been - and will be.

Though the RSOF is often popularly associated with the notion of "destined/loved one"...

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 13:14   Link #742
Lancel

It could also be Hime's hair cord.
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 17:45   Link #743
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
I'd just go into the second movie expecting zero love triangle resolution. It's safest, and you'll be pleasantly surprised if there is one.

The pills do imply she's still ill, and I've somewhat pondered that, given... ahem.

Spoiler for Sick Sheryl:
I am worried about sheryl in the next movie...
Will she survive or not...

she survived when her dormant power awaken...in the tv series.

While in the movie ... The power awake before she got sick...

So that means... She's still sick even if her power unleashed..
That means no cure? Will she awake her power again? For what? It is already awaken..
It won't have any effect...on her sickness anymore...

I am afraid she will die in the 2nd movie ...T T ...
But it is too cruel if she's dead...

Because too many nome died already...sara, mao, her mother, etc...

I just hope she won't end up like sara nome...
Dead and missing...
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 17:47   Link #744
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post
I am afraid she will die in the 2nd movie ...T T ...
Believe me, the last thing Kawamori would do is kill of Sheryl.

Also the speculation for the second film belongs in this thread.
Old 2010-10-29, 19:09   Link #745
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Quote:
I am worried about sheryl in the next movie...
Will she survive or not...
I wouldn't be worried that much.

Kawamori has never killed off a female in the love triangle before.

Sure he's made them disappear, carry the bastard child of a half Zentradi, or keep their love life in limbo. But he's never gone that far.
Old 2010-10-29, 19:31   Link #746
Lancel

I dunno, I still think Sara got vaporized by the reaction warheads, it looked like the cockpit was breached, but that ending was just odd.

Wait, Myung got pregnant?
Old 2010-10-29, 19:41   Link #747
John117xCortana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfood1 View Post
they're both gonna have a wedding with the human-vajra hybrid battle galaxy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yuri wedding?
Actually I was thinking more like they both marry Alto.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 20:24   Link #748
magnuskn

Ugh. A polygamy ending is the ultimate cop-out.
Old 2010-10-29, 21:03   Link #749
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Ugh. A polygamy ending is the ultimate cop-out.
Agreed. The love triangle drama is a staple of any Macross. Allowing for a polygamy ending merely cheapens that drama by defeating the very source of the conflict: the requirement of monogamy.

At least that's how I feel. Polygamy though is hilarious in a parody/comedy.
Old 2010-10-30, 17:48   Link #750
moncikoma

Poligami is possible... Because it's 2059

Hell yeah...!
Old 2010-10-30, 18:06   Link #751
BChoinski
Old Macross Coot

Talking My thoughts

Quote:
Just watched the movie...

I am AMAZED! Tottaly blown by the animation.. From alto x sheryl action..Twice!!!

The animation is more supereb! The first fight and last fight is very cool!
the story Is more simple, logical and even more fit! Than before..
I also though the movie flowed well enough There were a couple of odd jumps that I saw as bits from differing episodes,but overall not major.

Now I like Gerwalks as much (or more) as the next guy. My favorite Valk form. Having them skim around like water bugs in combat is cool enough, but the scene with the Gerwalk walking/stalking into combat was awesome!
BChoinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 23:18   Link #752
wisteria233

So I finally got to see the movie and I'll just post my thoughts of it here

Animation
The newly animated scenes were great, but the ones that they took from the television series stood out. This is mostly because even though the production values of the tv series are high this movie's production values are higher.

Voice Acting
The new songs were great as well, but I do have some complaints.

May'n did sing Aimo okay, but only sometimes. Other times it sounded like she was trying a bit too hard. And this movie didn't change my opinion that NakaMegu should never sing Diamond Crevasse, ever, because her voice just doesn't carry the emotion necessary for the song.

Though the good thing is that NakaMegu's voice did improve from the TV series, and I rather like the fact that he is using a more mature tone for Ranka's voice. That voice actually makes Ranka seem more her age (despite her physical characteristics), because already looks young to also make her sound too young can make it hard to take her too seriously.

Story
For the story itself I'd have to say that there are things I like about this movie and there are things I don't like. I do like the fact that they were able to bring up the conspiracy with Galaxy here, much earlier as there were times in the series when I wondered why the characters were not smart enough to actually investigate Grace. I also liked the fact that even though they were smart enough to investigate Grace still out maneuvered them, and ended up making both Cathy and Ozma look like they were the ones in the wrong (they kinda were though).

I also like the fact that they didn't focus on Ranka, and part may have also worked to their advantage because there just isn't that much to Ranka's character or her history. Once you find out about Ranka's past that's it, anymore is just too redundant, as she lived a pretty mundane life before the beginning of Macross Frontier and the only big event in her before then was the incident in with the 117th fleet. In the tv series it seemed more like they were just dragging it on with Ranka's past, its really something that should have been brought up from as early as episode 7 or at the very least episode 15, and Ranka's character suffered (even more)because the couldn't bring it up sooner. And let's just face it Alto and Sheryl's pasts are just more interesting than Ranka's.

But the movie does suffer from being a compilation in that quite a bit of info is lost. I'm kinda on the fence about how they had to change the love triangle, but I do understand the reason behind it, as the love triangle (if could have even been called that) was very lopsided in the TV series. With all of the changes the only character that seems to gain more than lose is Ranka. Besides that not much else is bad.

Characters
Now for the characters I find that the movie made a lot of changes some that are good some that aren't, and some that are a mixed bag.

First up is Alto
With Alto not much has changed from the TV series, TFS Alto is just much more obvious with his emotions and thoughts, and actually spells them out for the viewers, rather than just acting them out, and letting the viewers see for themselves. For instance I had already known Alto having problems with identifying himself in his gender role, but the movie just spelled it out for the audience more. TFS Alto is also less aware than TV series Alto. Gotta say though I liked the tv series Alto more because I actually don't like things being spelled out for me, then again this could just be because the movie focuses more on Alto.

Next up is Sheryl
Tsundere. No seriously, Sheryl is even more of a Tsundere than tv series Sheryl was, however in TFS not only is Sheryl more tsundere she also more innocent, playful and bit more shy in the area of love than tv series Sheryl. I liked the fact that they did make the change to actually have Sheryl also be survivor of Gallia 4, and also from the same fleet as Ranka, mostly because this change actually makes more sense. Though what I don't like in this like with Alto they outright told viewers what her problems were rather than actually letting the viewers see for themselves. I also don't like the fact that toned down the negative aspects of her character.

Ranka
Is the biggest change between tv series to movie. For one the movie Ranka is more mature than tv series Ranka, if only because she didn't need Alto to give her encouragement all the time, and she's actually less focused on him. Her being able to perform live was really just her remembering Alto's words, rather than actually needing the seeing the real paper airplane. There is also the fact that TFS Ranka is shown to actually have a sense of empathy with the TV series Ranka lacked, because which ever you argue tv series Ranka was never shown to actually think about the people of Frontier when they were under attack even with the death and destruction being all around her. The downside of this was the way the reveal of Ranka's past was handled, it seemed tacked on, almost as though they wanted people to take notice of the fact that TFS Ranka was different from TV series Ranka, and the fact that TFS Ranka was an improvement. TFS Ranka seems to actually strive for independence while TV series Ranka could only rely on others. But like I said before they had to make a lot of changes to accommodate for her new characterization, most of those changes to Ozma. Gotta say though I do like TFS Ranka more than tv series Ranka if only because TFS Ranka actually does show empathy to those around her. They really need to stop her hair from moving its really distracting in high tension situations, I know its for the moe but there are times when moe works and there are times when it doesn't, and trying to have a character show off their moe point during an invasion, and with the corpses of their fellow Frontier denizens around them is not the best time.

Ozma
Oh man Ozma, before you were just an protective brother who was fully understanding and supportive of Ranka if he knew that she really wanted it, and while he did feel guilty for what happened to Ranka in their past he didn't let it completely cloud his judgment. However, in TFS they gave him a sister complex a mile wide. I mean he really smothered Ranka, and jumps to conclusions never wanting to listen to others say if there is even a slim chance of Ranka being in danger. You can actually see why Cathy left him in TFS, in that his obsession of doing right by Ranka ends up clouding his own judgment and making him do wrong to both himself and Ranka. I'm actually interested in how the second movie will handle this, and Ozma with his overbearing guilt finding out that Sheryl who he put down as a spy, without any real thought into the matter is also a survivor of Gallia 4, and was the only person who had any clue about Ranka's past? In this case I actually do prefer TV series Ozma if only because TV series Ozma was actually more capable of critical thinking than TFS Ozma.

Cathy
Still pretty much the same as from the tv series no real change here. Though she now does actually have a much more clear reason for leaving Ozma, and as a female I kinda can't blame her. Ozma needs to prove himself to her in this version.

Klan Klan
Awesome as always, though now she seems to attend Mihoshi academy.

Mikhail
Same voice of reason he was int he TV series, though he's a little more blunt here, and much more willing to play devil's advocate.

Leon
Still needs a credible haircut, also obvious traitor.

SMS Crew
They're a pretty rowdy bunch. However, I like the fact that actually do behave like a mercenary group.

Overall
Pretty good movie I'd say there are some changes I didn't like though I do understand their reason for being.

The songs and the production values for this movie was great though and I can't wait to see "The Wings of Goodbye".

Last edited by wisteria233; 2010-10-31 at 00:10.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 23:51   Link #753
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

This movie was...disappointing, to say the least. I give it a 4/10. Horrible writing all around and so many cheesy moments.

If it wasn't for all of the glorious Sheryl time, it would have been even lower.

The next movie better be an improvement and it best have a damn conclusion to the triangle.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 05:00   Link #754
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
This movie was...disappointing, to say the least. I give it a 4/10. Horrible writing all around and so many cheesy moments.

If it wasn't for all of the glorious Sheryl time, it would have been even lower.

The next movie better be an improvement and it best have a damn conclusion to the triangle.
4/10 ?

c'mon so sheryl value only 2-3? she could at least value around 6 - 7/10

60-70% from the movie is all about her..!
Old 2010-10-31, 06:13   Link #755
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I was surprised by Itsuwari No Utahime.

Most movie adaptations tend to horribly kill the charm of the original show or try to fit too much into the smaller time frame so I wasn't expecting too much from InU but I enjoyed it.

I feel they achieved a nice balance in story telling enabling a new audience to follow along easy enough whilst still showing the veterans something new too.

There were several scenes where I almost cried out like a giddy school girl in excitement. The first was the same homage from the anime where Alto fends off the Vajra in the commandeered Valkyrie like Hikaru in SDF-1.

The other scene also an homage from SDF-1 was when they copied Hayase's tactic of using the pin point barrier to pierce the enemy's hull and firing ordnance once inside. Even the way the ship rippled with explosions brought back all those fond SDF-1 memories.

Disappointed by the ending but given how the anime ended I wouldn't expect anything less, here's hoping for the Sheryl ending in the next movie!

I'll be starting my Macross F anime re-watch tomorrow night and I might even dust off my SDF-1 collection.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 07:49   Link #756
Arya

Finally I saw the movie and I have to say that I like it. The animation is impressive!!
These days I kept on reading about how Ranka had been leveled up to stand up more, but in the end I continue to see her too child-ish to be considerate as a rival for Sheryl. Her hair moving on their own or her twirls when she is exited. Obviously this is my personal perception. i don't like much how they modify Sheryl, I mean, now she is to much awake of the situation and the fact that her power wake up this early worries me a bit. But I understand they had to do these "adjustments" to fit all things in two hours, and I could say they made a good work and the story was not rushed. Ok , Ranka smartness was a bit out of the character, but it is a minor issue. Now I'm expecting, looking at the "false songstress" first movie title, that the story will follow the series plot. Anyways for the speculation I guess i'll go to the right 3d
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 22:46   Link #757
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

i'm abit confused about Sheryl's past ( i did watched the tv series). So, the reason she knows the "Aimo" song is because she came into contact with Ranka? I'm not sure about the time gap when she is pick up by Grace'o Connor.

I also read wiki on her character info, so she was in the slums and gets pick up by a family?
Shikimori Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 02:08   Link #758
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikimori Kazuki View Post
i'm abit confused about Sheryl's past ( i did watched the tv series). So, the reason she knows the "Aimo" song is because she came into contact with Ranka? I'm not sure about the time gap when she is pick up by Grace'o Connor.

I also read wiki on her character info, so she was in the slums and gets pick up by a family?
her family dead...so she lives in a slum...and picked by grace...
Old 2010-11-02, 06:47   Link #759
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*∀`)ノ

I'm glad that both Sheryl and Ranka have the same amount of moment with Alto. Both of them are awesome, and this movie mad me like Ranka much more (Sheryl though, never fail to amaze me more ) At first I was like : " UHO ! Sheryl's ending flag kitta !!" and then it became Ranka shipping's moment which I was like : "What ? o.o; So it's going to be Ranka at the ending ?" and back to Sheryl...and back to Ranka again

Glad that they made both heroine to be awesome without disappointing a fan like me.

To be honest, I was actually bored at the middle part of the movie...which made me stop watching for 2 days (also mainly because I still have my assignments), but the later ending part is just so marvelous ! I didn't think that they would handle the battle scene like that At first I was thinking that it'll be full drama because there aren't so much fighting going on at the middle part

....Though, the reason for fighting with SMS going to fight Vajra like that...(aren't they supposed to think Sheryl's a spy or something) feels kinda rush for me Glad that it worked well in the end though.

Seriously though, I've heard that it's going to be a recap ! But I don't think this is a normal 'recap', there's just too many new scene here and there

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 07:12   Link #760
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
Seriously though, I've heard that it's going to be a recap ! But I don't think this is a normal 'recap', there's just too many new scene here and there
It's not a recap. That was just the rumor flying around before the first film hit the cinemas. It's a new story - the DYRL of Macross Frontier.