AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Old 2010-11-16, 22:23   Link #901
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I think that entire shot is a Macross Plus reference. Neumann, Dyson and Lucy are sitting right there!
I'm pretty sure that shot is from Macross Plus. >>
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 22:25   Link #902
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
I'm pretty sure that shot is from Macross Plus. >>
Serious? So...where is the shot from the movie?? I don't remember the bracelets. Agh!

I should have known just from the aspect ratio alone.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 22:50   Link #903
Lancel

Quote:
Serious? So...where is the shot from the movie?? I don't remember the bracelets. Agh!

I should have known just from the aspect ratio alone.
Background, Ranka finding her seat for Sheryl's Revenge Live concert.
Old 2010-11-16, 22:59   Link #904
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
There are still people who haven't seen DYRL?
I pity them.
Old 2010-11-17, 04:48   Link #905
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
It's from Sharon Apple's live concert, which is in both the OVA and film versions of Macross Plus.
Old 2010-11-18, 16:20   Link #906
moncikoma

They should sell those braclets in real live concert this christmas...

The technology is there... My friend have some sort of light stick for AKB48 concert..
They should just make a rounded ver..
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 16:33   Link #907
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui Send a message via Skype™ to Crimrui
Finally watched it today. It felt like I was rewatching the same first few episodes with some additional content added in the mix. The highlight for me was the Sheryl's concert in the beginning, it was really well done presentation wise and animation quality wasn't lacking ether. Characters were acting like their usual self with Ranka being a bit more sure in herself, or at least that is what I felt during the series. She didn't need constant advice from Alto, or maybe the movie just didn't had time for that. Sheryl was her usual gorgeous self. Some fanservice from the lovely ladies and decent ''new'' mecha action scenes deserve at least some credit. Others may not think like me but the pace of the movie was rather solid and it featured most of my favorite scenes from anime series. Didn't had high expectations in the first place so the movie was what I expected, good and entertaining, even though some call it a refreshed seven episodes tossed into one.

I loled at the ''Goddamn it!'' part when Alto was crossing the street =)
Old 2010-12-05, 17:48   Link #908
moncikoma

Which part is that? On a date part?
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 20:22   Link #909
Lancel

When he's stalking Ranka into FamilyMart.
Old 2010-12-05, 20:23   Link #910
Bri

Finally saw the subbed version of Itsuwari no Utahime, only seen the BR so far and had missed quite a bit of the details.

Seeing it a second time I've enjoyed it even more. I think Utahime's greatest quality is integrating the triangle further in to the plot. My main gripe with the TV series is that the high school romantic drama bit was often only tangentially related to the wider events between Frontier,Galaxy and the Vaijira. Only in the final episodes did things merge. You can make an argument for seeing the movie as primarily plot driven project in contrast to the more character driven TV-series.

The characters have been changed more then I expected, and in a good way. Alto isn't self-centered any more and less emotional. I actually like movie-Alto, something I never expected to say, as the TV-version grates my nerves. Sheryl is no longer a victim of events but now a proactive force. The credit card scene was brilliant. Ranka is probably the least changed character but her connection to Alto as a childhood friend makes that relationship a lot more logical. Ozma Lee is less angry and even more impressive then before. And thank you SK for the twist on Michael, wonder if he can do what Kakazaki couldn't.

I'm hoping for a slightly different direction in the sequel from the TV events. While I love the TV final arc with the inverted DYRL finale. I sort of hope that Grace wont go Palpatine on us again or at least not in the same way.

Remains the mystery plane. A guest appearance by the man himself doesn't seem to likely. Maybe it's Ozma in some Sound Force action? Hope at least there will be a Firebomber song played. Anyway, the movie incorporated pretty much everything I enjoyed from the TV-series and fixed or removed the parts that I didn't. So I'm really looking forward to the sequel.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 18:16   Link #911
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
The characters have been changed more then I expected, and in a good way. Alto isn't self-centered any more and less emotional. I actually like movie-Alto, something I never expected to say, as the TV-version grates my nerves.
Interesting, as Alto never was the slightest bit self-centered ( as in selfish or narcissistic ) in the series. Maybe you meant "reserved" or "emotionally distant"?
Old 2010-12-07, 10:08   Link #912
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Interesting, as Alto never was the slightest bit self-centered ( as in selfish or narcissistic ) in the series. Maybe you meant "reserved" or "emotionally distant"?
No, reserved or emotionally distant is more appropriate for characters like Shin Kudo or Sara Nome who have trust issues.

What I mean is that in the TV-series Alto let's his behaviour be defined by his family problems. He is often shown as angry and reckless and incapable of dealing with authority. This clouds his judgement in combat and in his personal life.

In the movie the Saotome angle is heavily downplayed. It's just presented as the reason why he became a pilot rather then fuel for teen-angst. In short the character has become more mellow and mature.

A nice change for example was the concert-scene where Alto saved Sheryl. In the TV-series Alto nearly caused an accident, in the movie he only acts as he perceives Sheryl to be in danger. Same result but Alto comes of as a lot more sympathetic even though Sheryl was never in real danger.

For me the "rebuilt" of Alto's personality becomes complete when Alto talks to Ranka and notes that while Sheryl can be childish in private she is a complete pro when it comes to work. A lesson he seems to take to heart.

Interestingly, the early discovery of foul play by both Frontier and Galaxy by the SMS could change events post ep18 completely. I don't see this Alto buy the "it's them or us" manipulations by Leon.
Old 2010-12-08, 03:34   Link #913
magnuskn

Quote:
No, reserved or emotionally distant is more appropriate for characters like Shin Kudo or Sara Nome who have trust issues.

What I mean is that in the TV-series Alto let's his behaviour be defined by his family problems. He is often shown as angry and reckless and incapable of dealing with authority. This clouds his judgement in combat and in his personal life.

In the movie the Saotome angle is heavily downplayed. It's just presented as the reason why he became a pilot rather then fuel for teen-angst. In short the character has become more mellow and mature.
Ah, you didn't mean self-centered in the sense of vain or selfish, but more like as someone who has personal problems.

I see where you are coming from, but for me that makes Alto a weaker character in the movie. I am aware that it is for the reason of time-constraints, but having Alto not have to grow out of his preoccupation with his own problems makes him a less developed character and can only be perceived as a better character arc if someone is already informed by the series. The Alto presented in the movie barely grows as a character.

Quote:
A nice change for example was the concert-scene where Alto saved Sheryl. In the TV-series Alto nearly caused an accident, in the movie he only acts as he perceives Sheryl to be in danger. Same result but Alto comes of as a lot more sympathetic even though Sheryl was never in real danger.
Actually Alto didn't cause the accident, that was his clumsy wingman, who apparently was so awed by Altos corkscrew that the wing of his Ex-Gear broke off and he collided with Alto. ^^

Quote:
For me the "rebuilt" of Alto's personality becomes complete when Alto talks to Ranka and notes that while Sheryl can be childish in private she is a complete pro when it comes to work. A lesson he seems to take to heart.
Well, I don't care as much about movie Alto as about series Alto, which is a result of movie Alto being less interesting, due to lack of character development. Also, they took away from him much of the selflessness which he displayed. Although I am judging half a product, so that may still come in movie two.

Quote:
Interestingly, the early discovery of foul play by both Frontier and Galaxy by the SMS could change events post ep18 completely. I don't see this Alto buy the "it's them or us" manipulations by Leon.
Given that series Alto already was brought into this mindset by the Kamjin-clone ( Temjin? ), got the info also from someone he had more reasons to trust ( Mr. Bilrer ), had no hard evidence to distrust Leon and did not have any evidence to the contrary of what was presented to him, I do not hold his taking Leon and Mr. Bilrer at their words against him.
Old 2010-12-09, 20:36   Link #914
Bri

Quote:
I see where you are coming from, but for me that makes Alto a weaker character in the movie. I am aware that it is for the reason of time-constraints, but having Alto not have to grow out of his preoccupation with his own problems makes him a less developed character and can only be perceived as a better character arc if someone is already informed by the series. The Alto presented in the movie barely grows as a character.
I see your point but a lack of growth in a character does not necessarily make them weak. Basara for example hardly grows in Macross 7 but his presence forces growth in Mylene, Gamlin and others around him, making him an intriguing character in his own right. It's all a matter of context.

In the movie everything revolves around Sheryl and her development. It's Macross Frontier seen from a different perspective. Anime movies like Utahime are aimed at existing fans of the TV-series. It's interesting to see the way the staff changes elements now the project has come full circle and they can work with the benefit of hindsight.

Quote:
Well, I don't care as much about movie Alto as about series Alto, which is a result of movie Alto being less interesting, due to lack of character development. Also, they took away from him much of the selflessness which he displayed. Although I am judging half a product, so that may still come in movie two.
It really depends on how the original character development affected the viewer. For me not having to go through the coming of age story again and the greater focus on Sheryl is a double win situation but I can imagine it's less fun for fans who actually like Alto.

Quote:
Given that series Alto already was brought into this mindset by the Kamjin-clone ( Temjin? ), got the info also from someone he had more reasons to trust ( Mr. Bilrer ), had no hard evidence to distrust Leon and did not have any evidence to the contrary of what was presented to him, I do not hold his taking Leon and Mr. Bilrer at their words against him.
I don't hold it against the character at all, as that mindset was essential for the way the finale of the TV-series played out. (However I find it somewhat self-defeating that the writers take forever in having Alto overcome his personal issues to make him a better person. After which they turn him into the first Macross main protagonist that rejects peaceful coexistence and gives in to Kamjins pov, but that's beside the point.)

More to the point, the first movie shows a fully developed Alto and I don't see him get upset with Ranka over helping/contacting the Vaijira especially as the movie already shows them in a more positive light early on. Leaves me to wonder where this will lead and how this will affect the triangle.
Old 2010-12-10, 05:18   Link #915
magnuskn

I guess the difference for me is I expect the movie to be a stand-alone story and I am comparing the merit of the characters between series and movie. The only one who comes off better in the movie for me is Ranka and that isn't very hard at all, since she failed so very hard in the series.

And I must say, I never thought that Basara was a good protagonist. The real star of Macross 7 for me is Gamlin. And Gigil.

Quote:
I don't hold it against the character at all, as that mindset was essential for the way the finale of the TV-series played out. (However I find it somewhat self-defeating that the writers take forever in having Alto overcome his personal issues to make him a better person. After which they turn him into the first Macross main protagonist that rejects peaceful coexistence and gives in to Kamjins pov, but that's beside the point.)
I think we need to take into context the antagonists. In the other series, we had aliens who showed the capacity for reason and who were able to communicate with our heroes. Frontier eshewed that for silent killing machines, who attacked Frontier again and again for no apparent reason. It's no wonder that Alto ( and most others ) took a "wipe'em out!" stance against the Vajra.
Old 2010-12-10, 07:24   Link #916
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
I guess the difference for me is I expect the movie to be a stand-alone story and I am comparing the merit of the characters between series and movie.
Did any of the staff or cast ever promise that the movie would be a stand-alone story?

I always figured it was for fans of the TV series, not new viewers.
Old 2010-12-10, 11:38   Link #917
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Did any of the staff or cast ever promise that the movie would be a stand-alone story?
Do I need a particular promise for something so basic?
Old 2010-12-10, 16:43   Link #918
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard
*Fansubber

Quote:
Do I need a particular promise for something so basic?
I'd say so. Movies based on TV shows are usually made for people who watch the show.

I didn't go see Sex and the City for precisely that reason. The X-Files movie would've had a lot of confusing scenes for anyone who hadn't watched the show. Anyone who watches The End of Evangelion before seeing the series is to be pitied. Ditto the Ideon movie.

I could go on and on here...
Old 2010-12-10, 17:21   Link #919
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I'd say so. Movies based on TV shows are usually made for people who watch the show.

I didn't go see Sex and the City for precisely that reason. The X-Files movie would've had a lot of confusing scenes for anyone who hadn't watched the show. Anyone who watches The End of Evangelion before seeing the series is to be pitied. Ditto the Ideon movie.

I could go on and on here...
I don't know Ideon. Every single other movie you just cited was a continuation of the series from which it was spawned. If this movie would have been the same, then I'd be on the same page as you.

But it wasn't. It was a retelling, for reasons which I don't really understand ( although I have my suspicions ). And as a stand-alone story, it has the obligation, IMO, to be seen as such and not try to obligate the viewer to view the characters through the lense of the series.
Old 2010-12-10, 17:31   Link #920
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I don't know Ideon. Every single other movie you just cited was a continuation of the series from which it was spawned. If this movie would have been the same, then I'd be on the same page as you.

But it wasn't. It was a retelling, for reasons which I don't really understand ( although I have my suspicions ). And as a stand-alone story, it has the obligation, IMO, to be seen as such and not try to obligate the viewer to view the characters through the lense of the series.
Yot-chan's point still stands though, i mean you're hardly going to find just anyone checking out the Macross Frontier films. They are for fans.

Second film is planned as new material, though anything could happen regarding it's place.