AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Old 2010-01-22, 08:03   Link #201
tsunade666

but if you equate it like that. The rank 3 level 5 shouldn't had that much strength being its the type that only around a or b. How about a certain yuri telerporter..... her bust isn't also that great but just plain old adult like.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 08:43   Link #202
zaeraal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
On something specific to Saten... I seem to think the her bust size is the largest of the 4 heroines, anyone else think so?
Maybe its related directly to her power. If her power is somethink like Aureolus Izzards power, or not wind maniupulation but more like particle manipulation.. there are even more posibilities, then its posible. Esper power is manifestation of personal reality and they went to "beach" in that episode to show off. The studio was constantly taking their fotos, so they wanted to look as good as possible. And probably as a side effect, she did this "adjustment" to her bust subconsciously.

Last edited by zaeraal; 2011-03-18 at 03:52.
zaeraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 09:30   Link #203
tsunade666

lol

I can't stop laughing sorry my friend but really. Don't take that episode too much its pure fan service. BUT its great to think of logical explanation to have a girl with a huge bust.
Old 2010-01-22, 12:39   Link #204
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Which is odd because I think the four heroines are pre-pubescent.
Well, Ruiko, Uiharu and Kuroko are 12, which is young, but not pre-pubescent. Mitsuko is 13 and Mikoto is 14 - which places them all firmly in the 'probably shouldn't be thinking about this too hard' category, whether or not their proportions are realistic.

That said, i would be extremely amused if the anime staff had the chutzpa to link Ruiko's 'development' to her power - but do we have any evidence of esper powers that actually affect the user's physical body in some way, other than to move it from place to place? Even Tsuchimikado's power is, if i'm remembering correctly, a 'time reversal' effect rather than true regeneration - though now i can't find the source that made me think that. Ah well; even if it is true regeneration, Tsuchimikado is kind of a freak, and probably not to be taken as an example...

Last edited by Alhazred; 2010-01-22 at 12:58.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 14:30   Link #205
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Wasn't Accelerator's hair and possibly eye color explained as a result of his powers? Reflecting harmful UV rays or some garbage.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 14:33   Link #206
Miraluka
18 forever

Yes, he said that in the episode 19.
Old 2010-01-22, 14:35   Link #207
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Hmm, thinking about it though, that feels more like his powers affecting the environment, and then his body not being affected by the environment.Well, it's still a physical change regardless of the exact mechanics behind it, I guess.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 14:36   Link #208
Haak
Forever Alone...

Lol. I'm sure any girl would like to know of an environment that improves breast size. XP
Old 2010-01-22, 14:42   Link #209
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Wasn't Accelerator's hair and possibly eye color explained as a result of his powers? Reflecting harmful UV rays or some garbage.
Yes, but that's actually because he unconsciously alters the vectors of light, and not because he's altering vectors within his own body. I suppose he could do that, just as a pyrokinetic could theoretically burn himself, but that's not exactly the same thing as some sort of 'shape shifting' ability. Accelerated growth or healing doesn't seem too outside the realm of 'psychic power,' as long as the effects are at least semi-permanent (i.e. no growing and then shrinking later, unless the shrinkage is explainable for biological reasons), but i don't know if we've seen a credible example of either of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Lol. I'm sure any girl would like to know of an environment that improves breast size. XP
Hmm... low G? (if we go by another recent anime)
Old 2010-01-22, 15:10   Link #210
zaeraal

Well there arent any limitations that deny the use of powers on themself. So basically you can use telekinesis and "change shape" of your body (a bit drastic method) or a teleporter should be able to do "partial teleportation" of his body. Then you have abilities like self-regeneration or Heaven Cancell (doctor gekota) whitch affect directly the user body. Then maybe some sort of invisibility that dont affect ligth but behaviour of particles inside the body whitch make them transparent. Also accelerator was using vector control to alter his speed. Also i think kanzaki kaori is using some sort of magic that improves body, if there exist a spell, then probably exist similar esper ability. And if we count the fact how absurd and bizzare are some abilities, shapeshifting is nothing out of ordinary.

Last edited by zaeraal; 2011-03-18 at 03:51.
zaeraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 15:19   Link #211
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeraal View Post
Well there arent any limitations that deny the use of powers on themself. So basically you can use telekinesis and "change shape" of your body (a bit drastic method) or a teleporter should be able to do "partial teleportation" of his body. Then you have abilities like self-regeneration or Heaven Cancell (doctor gekota) whitch affect directly the user body. Then maybe some sort of invisibility that dont affect ligth but behaviour of particles inside the body whitch make them transparent. Also accelerator was using vector control to alter his speed. Also i think kanzaki kaori is using some sort of magic that improves body, if there exist a spell, then probably exist similar esper ability. And if we count the fact how absurd and bizzare are some abilities, shapeshifting is nothing out of ordinary.
The problem therein is that most of the time, radical alterations to the general physical configuration of the user's body are damaging or fatal; they're still human, after all. Partial teleportation would result in dismemberment, telekinetic manipulation would cause bruises or worse. If 'actual' shapeshifting does exist, it would probably involve either the manipulation of space (aka, changing the environment) or the manipulation of biological functions, and the latter would need to be a level 4 or 5 power before it could be used to cause major changes without serious risk. Also, the existence of magic =/= existence of psychic power, as magic can work in multiple spheres at once, while powers are more narrowly focused.
Old 2010-01-22, 16:30   Link #212
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Yes, Kaori use her magic to enhance her physical strength and speed.

Unfortunately, magic and an esper's AIM are not the same. Fundamentally, they work differently as well so no, there's nothing saying that for every magic spell, there must be an esper counterpart, and vice verse. There is nothing to suggest that an Esper's power cannot be a physical change, but we almost never come across a case.

And personally, wouldn't they be more like 'mutants' than espers if they start turning blue or growing spikes out of their forearm...
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 16:58   Link #213
Miraluka
18 forever

Speed and strenght are very shaped in Sogita case.
Old 2010-01-22, 18:04   Link #214
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

I'm sure it must have been said before but we all know Saten's power comes from her flower hair clip

soon we'll be seeing the petals break off to form 5 different fairies each with a unique power, which will make her godlike!

haha I have no defense to stop the flames of hell burning me for saying thatXD
Old 2010-01-22, 18:28   Link #215
babohtea

Why does everyone want her to use her powers to flip Uiharu's skirt? I seriously doubt that's going to be a major factor when Kamachi decides to reveal Saten's powers.
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 18:50   Link #216
Alhazred

It is not so much a want as it is an utter certainty that, if it is possible for her to flip up Uiharu's skirt with her power, Ruiko will do it. If she were a fighting game character, flipping up Uiharu's skirt would be her signature move - and it would probably executed with quarter-circle forward + punch.
Old 2010-01-22, 18:57   Link #217
Miraluka
18 forever

Too much cliches guys... =_=;
Old 2010-01-23, 02:14   Link #218
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

And the orange head death god reference (thanks tsunade666! ) killed me. XD

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 06:18   Link #219
tsunade666

what me? I didn't do anything. HONEST! I'M INNOCENT! I DIDN'T FLIP FRENDA'S SKIRT!
Old 2010-02-13, 21:34   Link #220
taofd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I'm not sure if I can get the point across, but let's take Telepathy for example.

Rank C... what does that mean? Saten reads minds in bits and snatches? While a Rank A can hold a conversation with another Rank A without speaking?

If that's the case, even if Rank A1 is a Pyrokinesist and Rank A2 is a Electromaster, they can both engage in telepathy, when it is not their "main skill".

In other words, is the rule of an ESPer having only 1 Skill mean they can only make water out of no where to the exclusion of other ESP related abilities? Or does it only apply to 1 exotic Skill, and that esper can still perform "lesser" abilities like mind-reading and telekinesis, as indicated by the score card?
It's possible that these tests are completely theory based and have no bearing on their actual manifested power.

Another possibility is that it's engrish, and ultimately a poor representation of the actual intent behind the card.

I also bump whoever mentioned that it could be "scientific error"; perhaps level 0's are just individuals who they are unable to objectively measure in terms of ability... such as Touma (bs that he's level 0).

I find it interesting that there has been a reoccurring theme of this "personality reality" ... sounds to me like they're spinning this psychobabble as abilities being a construction of an individual's self-concept. Interestingly enough, sans the ability part, there seems to be research evidence to support the notion that an individual's grasp of reality is rooted in their sense of self-perception, social perception, etc. Think schizophrenia. And to the people that think you can "develop" this personal reality just by thinking about it-- if that were true, all the psychological disorders rooted outside of physical causes could easily be "thought" away.

tldnr; Truth is what you believe it to be; abilities are a manifestation of your mind, if you look carefully, there is quite a bit of supporting evidence in the anime.

Also,
Spoiler for Accelerator:

Obviously the brain is much more complex than this, there's no just "one area" for anything. Don't know if the directors or people that did Railgun actually went into this much depth and reasoning though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
The things that Touma can do with his Imagine Breaker make more sense if you consider the possibility that a 'Personal Reality' is an actual thing, and not just a pretty concept...

Now let us say that Imagine Breaker nullifies personal realities...
I disagree here. Touma's ability is largely an unknown, and the story has a few inconsistencies such as the that fell on his head to account for. Also, his ability is not limited to ESP, as it also affects magic and divine magic (I'm assuming there is a difference here since they go out of their way to separate the two), and god knows what else. Also don't forget that Misaka's expression of her ability is technically super heated plasma caused by extreme electromagnetic fields and somehow he is able to negate that... It suggest that he has an ability that repels all other paranormal abilities that are artificially generated that are NOT physical. His ability also distinguishes between, in this case, normal lightning and artificially generated lightning. Though, we have yet to see Touma get hit by lightning, so this is pure speculation...

Also, don't forget
Spoiler for Graviton Burst:
taofd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters