AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2009-12-03, 18:48   Link #1
Oppius
Banned

Why gamers bought them anyway?

After reading this article, I wonder "who the Hell bought them?". I'm not actually Gamesradar fan but I found that article by random.

I was amazed how many copies of Enter the Matrix was sold in US. More than than twice than the second one Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects. Perhaps even more if in global scale.

Why gamers bought them anyway? by hype? That makes sense since most of those games are based from popular comics and movies I'm not surprised.

I have my own theories which that article did not include to explain why people bought them despite being panned by critics:

First gamers are rebels and the don't give a shit on what critics said because they were paid to praise and pan their favorite games.

Second people who actually bought them are not gamers after all. They probably kids' parents who bought these games for Christmas and birthday party without knowing how crappy they were.

Third and the last which I can think of is they are crap and that makes them cool. Just look at Enter the Matrix and Spiderman games. The article also forgot to tell us how good Big Rigs: Over the Road racing was sold. That crap were loved for its crappiness. I think the same theory can be use to anime too. Just look how many fansub groups doing School Days, despite being panned by the Japanese critics. Yeah School Days is cool because its a crap. Most humorous and funniest crap that you can watch.

By the way that article was written in 2007 and some of they information may no longer apply today.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 18:56   Link #2
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Some people have lots of money to spend and not enough brains to know what the hell they are buying. Take the Dragonball games for example. Each new mediocrity that they make, sells like crazy. It doesn't matter if it is good; just if it is cool to show of to others and play as your favorite character.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 19:00   Link #3
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
I think most of those are pretty obvious: they got big licenses, which obviously sell these games to a different demographic than the "hardcore" one. Nothing to write an article over if you ask me...

And the "bestselling crap" game without a license (Halo) wasn't even mentioned.
Old 2009-12-03, 19:02   Link #4
Sides

I think the pricing is the most important factor. Most of the blockbuster, average or rubbish games actually are sold at a discounted price, by the supermarket here in the UK, i reckon it is true for most western countries, at the released day. Other than that, marketing, brand name and established series helps selling titles.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 19:15   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
The best-selling video game of all time--The Sims--is "a crap" to me. ^^;

Really, who the hell wants to simulate real life?

Aren't games supposed to be a form of escapism? To give a boring ordinary person the chance to be a space pirate or a lightning-shooting archmage for a few hours?
Old 2009-12-03, 19:25   Link #6
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

Aren't games supposed to be a form of escapism? To give a boring ordinary person the chance to be a space pirate or a lightning-shooting archmage for a few hours?
Who said that the sims are not escapism too? You impersonate someone you are not there too.
Old 2009-12-03, 19:46   Link #7
Wolfnagi
Ojou-sama Familiar!!!!!!!

Well,
"the sims" is the best-selling crap,
its because the sims itself is like crap,
all you have to do is to feed them, bought them their needs and taking care of them,
its actually a crap because you going to do that a whole year round if you keep playing that trash.
Even the GBA version of The Sims is way better than the pc version!
Old 2009-12-03, 19:52   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
As much as I despise WoW I hope it dethrones the Sims eventually, at least it's a real game digital crack...
Old 2009-12-03, 19:54   Link #9
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Funny thing is, I never played any of these games XD
Old 2009-12-03, 19:58   Link #10
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

You never knew anyone who played with dolls / dollhouses as a kid?
Old 2009-12-03, 19:58   Link #11
roriconfan
Banned

Guys, we are losing track here. The Sims or Halos being bad games is not the point. Many people enjoy them. The topic is about REALLY bad games that not even the ones playing them enjoy them.

Angry videogamer, where are you?
Old 2009-12-03, 20:06   Link #12
animeboy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Guys, we are losing track here. The Sims or Halos being bad games is not the point. Many people enjoy them. The topic is about REALLY bad games that not even the ones playing them enjoy them.

Angry videogamer, where are you?
pfft All the more useless really, since none of us know the exactly what experience people had playing the games.

our opinion=/=their opinion
their experience=/=our opinion

if you guy are gonna shit on these games I hope you've played some of these. I know at least nine who absolutely loved 50cent bulletproof granted they are casual gamers
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 20:08   Link #13
roriconfan
Banned

Oh, here you are
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1tU61Nyv1w
Old 2009-12-03, 20:16   Link #14
Wolfnagi
Ojou-sama Familiar!!!!!!!

Well, i'm a gamer so i knew lots of games,
but mostly, the crap games that sells like hot cakes are mostly the games that i don't know,
most of Superhero games is crap, (except Spiderman Web Of Shadow, i don't know why but its kinda good)
Transformer the movie (The live one) game is crap,
oh yeah, AOE is crap!
Old 2009-12-03, 22:49   Link #15
Metaler

Well, as long as the game is fun, then people will buy it. A critic's opinion is very different from a mere gamer. Critics review games more objectively, paying attention to many obscure details, not just the level of enjoyment. So when people buy "crappy" games, it's possible that these people just want some fun, not caring about the game's visuals or sounds.

Of course, sometimes a game has high sales because of the hype given to it.
Metaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 00:30   Link #16
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Quote:
Awww-ha. So what's the difference? If I don't enjoy a game I'll label it a bad game. And I believe (and hope) that's the case for everyone. End of story.
Old 2009-12-04, 08:16   Link #17
roriconfan
Banned

^ The difference is that there are games so bad, nobody likes them
Old 2009-12-04, 08:24   Link #18
Cipher

Quote:
^ The difference is that there are games so bad, nobody likes them
there are games soo bad but they're still soo good for other people. there are people who'd choose tetris over MW2. i myself have enjoyed some very unpopular video games...I forget their names though.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 08:45   Link #19
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I agree with roricofan, you are missing the point here.

What the article is about are games who respect the following requirements

1) They are considered bad games by most critics and reviewers
2) They sold a lot of copies anyway

Halo and the sims as much as they certainly have a few haters do not fulfill the first requirement. The discussion is meant to discuss major trends not personal opinions.

For example there is no doubt that of the 10 games mentioned there were a few who actually liked those game. But "a few" do not justify the fact that they are best selling games.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 08:52   Link #20
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
Awww-ha. So what's the difference? If I don't enjoy a game I'll label it a bad game. And I believe (and hope) that's the case for everyone. End of story.
Definitely not the case for me. I don't enjoy racing or puzzle games at all but I think it'd be pretty ridiculous for me to call every single game in those genres bad just because I don't like playing them. I can at least recognize that many of those games are objectively well-made and would be enjoyable for people with different tastes. I save my "bad" label for games that I truly consider bad rather than ones I just simply don't enjoy, such as the aforementioned Big Rigs and Enter the Matrix.

On that note, I actually own Enter the Matrix. In fact I bought it the day it came out, for full price, having read and believed all the horrible reviews of it beforehand, and yes it was as terrible as advertised if not worse. I wanted to play it despite all that because I was a pretty big Matrix fanboy at the time. I could say I regret it now, but I like being able to say I own one of the worst games of that generation, and some of the bugs like the game-breaking one that prevented me from picking up an item I needed to complete a level and forced me to start said level completely over are pretty funny in hindsight.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote