AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-02, 11:36   Link #1
fireball

Overwhelming powers

Hello all-

I'm looking for an anime where the main character has overwhelming power that's uncharacteristic of other people that also could potentially have a power. This sounds confusing, so the best way I can clarify is to give an example. In Mai-Otome 0~S.ifr~, Lena Sayers is an Otome like everyone else, but her powers are overwhelming because of her HiME lineage. I'm looking for something like that: Lena is super powerful, whereas all the other Otome are still powerful in their own right.

I don't mind if the character is male or female, but I'd like to stay away from the annoying character types that are typical of shonen where the main character is a bumbling idiot and just annoying, but happens to be strong.

Thank ye!
Old 2009-12-02, 12:05   Link #2
Haak
Forever Alone...

It's not a anime but I recommend Avatar - The Last Airbender. The main character is the Avatar who is supposed to master all four elements (A regular person can only use one max) and has an Avatar State that's a sort of defense mechanism where he's capable of drawing on the power off all previous Avatars,
Old 2009-12-02, 22:27   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Chrome Shelled Regios fits your requirements really well.

Technically Haruhi Suzumiya might count, but I doubt that's what you had in mind.

Fullmetal Alchemist and Ranma 1/2 might also qualify.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2009-12-03, 03:05   Link #4
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Chrome Shelled Regios
Kaze No Stigma

these are the only ones i can think of at the moment
Old 2009-12-03, 03:17   Link #5
james0246

Heroic Age - main male character starts out so powerful he can destroy a planet with ease, and only gets more powerful as the series progresses (his power isn't completely unique, rather there are 5 special individuals that have similar overpowered powers, though each individual has unique powers unto themselves).
Old 2009-12-03, 04:25   Link #6
Dorfl

I'd say Dragonball, but there's very little chance that you've never read/watched that before.

Try Akagi, if overwhelming mental and reasoning powers are your thing.
Old 2009-12-03, 04:41   Link #7
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
I'd say Needless might fit what you're looking, at least where I've watched to, since if have you seen the first episode you'll see why, or read the spoiler below:
Spoiler for About it, and the main character's ability:
Old 2009-12-04, 01:00   Link #8
chill.

i would vote against chrome shelled regios.... it started off so promising but got ridiculously boring

i would say:

darker than black

kaze no stigma

hunter x hunter
Old 2009-12-04, 09:15   Link #9
Jetbent
Cross Game convert

Elemental Gelade comes to mind.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2009-12-07, 13:56   Link #10
fireball

Hi again everyone,

I've gone through all of the suggestions, and the ones that definitely were enjoyable were: Kaze no Stigma, Chrome Shelled Regios and Darker than Black. The others were also quite fun (I liked Heroic Age as well), and I'd like to know if anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 2009-12-07, 14:34   Link #11
straferd
Toushi

In Claymore there are these people who are humans infused with monster blood/flesh, and some of these are superior to others.

In Ikkitousen warriors from Romance of the Three Kingdoms are reborn as teens, and some of them have dragons inside them (sigh) and are godlike.

And I guess you heared about Naruto? But you didnt want a bakaa main character...

Goddess: Kan'u
Favourites: 1. Lucy 2. Revy 3. Yomi 4. Nina Wng 5. Jo 6. Teresa 7. Saber 8. Shiki 9. Alphard 10. Chidori 11. Sousuke 12. Shana 13. Yin 14. Natsuki
Old 2009-12-07, 17:54   Link #12
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Hellsing - The other vampires are strong, but Alucard blows them all away. Watch the Ultimate OVA since it's better, but only watch if you have a strong stomach, as it can get pretty gory at times.

Kaze no Stigma - I rather enjoyed it, and the main character Kazuma is a terrible force to be reckoned with from beginning to end. His wind magic is ridiculous. He can fly, slice people up, manipulate objects.... you name it, he can probably kick its ass or cut up into little pieces.

Needless - Basically what Konakaga said, but I'll add that the main villian, Adam Arclight, is even more ridiculously powerful than Blade is. It's a really great show with crazy shounen stereotypes, and some comedy to boot. I bet you'll like it as much as I have so far.

Chrome Shelled Regios - Layfon Alseif is like a one man army. I don't want to spoil anything, but I'll just say this much: he makes all the other students of a military academy look like pushovers. Seriously. And he's a nice guy, too. XD