AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 22 13.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 8.98%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 11.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 39 23.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 16 9.58%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 14 8.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 15 8.98%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.20%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 2.99%
1 out of 10 : Painful 20 11.98%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 2009-12-10, 11:21   Link #121
Letter from lost days ~
Originally Posted by Luxa View Post
As I haven't read the VNs, I gave the episode an 8, simply based on its own merits. It was decently paced, it had nice plot and the revelation at the and was quite shocking. For reference, I think I've been giving out 5-7s for the rest of EP4, from an anime-only viewpoint I found them lacking.
The only problem I have is that if the Battler committing a sin was really in red in the VN then it should be also in red here: right now we can think that Beatrice is just messing with Battler...
Who might not even be the original Battler, as he isn't the son of Asumu. But then where is the original son?
Spoiler for ..:

On a more serious note, I'm really hoping this is a "brace for the last 2 epic episodes impact" episode...
Old 2009-12-10, 11:43   Link #122
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
What the hell Battler? Her qualification was for you to be Kinzo's grandson, he's not related to you through your mother! Ahh, I guess the shock was supposed to be too much for him to think about that but still.
Well, Battler isn't known for thinking through things when he is cornered... more known for giving up and then getting stubborn.
Old 2009-12-10, 13:13   Link #123
Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
For us non game players we didn't notice anything since this show is already everywhere. I just wish Madhouse had gotten this on account they do good with mystery/murder, would have made more sense perhaps.

As for Deen shouldn't we be blaming the directors? They over see it all.
Old 2009-12-10, 14:08   Link #124
Spoiler for review:

To those flaming those flaming this episode, read the novel(lol). It isn't just a few jokes here and there that are being missed out, it's whole chunks of plot being cut. And in an intricate story like Umineko, it's a big deal.
Old 2009-12-10, 14:30   Link #125
I'm more troubled by the lack of a proper mood during most scenes. Many parts left me feeling awkward for no apparent reason. Characterization, too. I mean, what's with Ange just standing there while her brother is being denied of his existence? If they're going to leave her in that part, at least give her a few more lines or something.

Also, I don't know about the others, but during Battler's test, when the topic of Battler's sin came up, wasn't Beato a little too... expressive? With her tone still sounding like she's mocking Battler, I really couldn't take the story of Battler's sin seriously until she got more serious. However, still no dignified Golden Witch of Rokkenjima there, IMO.
Old 2009-12-10, 14:40   Link #126
Let's Puppystyle!
It wasn't just me right? I was quite lost in this episode...

I was hoping that by episode 24 I'd understand a lot more...but half of this still isn't making any sense to me :'(
Old 2009-12-10, 14:51   Link #127
Ange Ushiromiya's Fangirl
Send a message via Yahoo to AudriSampson
It did basically leave us with more mysteries on our hands.. Im curious what Maria had to do with her test.. Who would she love?
Old 2009-12-10, 16:02   Link #128
Witch of Ambition
Send a message via MSN to Racheya-sama Send a message via Skype™ to Racheya-sama
I loved the episode. I've not played the VNs (I will be for Chiru though), so I'm not basing my ideas off that. I generally rate it on it's plot, since I really couldn't care less about the animation and I even like the L5 faces :P

Spoiler for episode review:
Old 2009-12-10, 16:04   Link #129
Witch's Golden Breaker
Okay...having gotten over my intense anger and disappointment at this episode, I was able to watch the subs and will now attempt a proper review. Even as a VN player with many complaints, I will try to keep this review as reasonable as possible - because while some cuts were a shame but understandable (Goat-kun), others were just utterly inexcusable to the story (lack of red sin). And so...

Spoiler for review:

This episode was deplorable. It felt like EP1 all over again. DEEN has this very bad habit of doing a couple episodes pretty well, but then completely breaking the pace with one really bad episode. And I wasn't fond of all that got lost last week (I believe I ended up giving it a 6), despite the very cool battle scenes, so on top of that this episode hurts.

EP4 just has so much going on, with the 1986, 1998, flashback AND meta scenes to deal with. I expected we'd lose some things, though I was expecting those losses to be everything but the 1986 gameboard (I'm still surprised we got as much of the flashback content as we did). And it pisses me off, because the EP4 gameboard was probably my favorite of the first 4 EPs. It was incredibly exciting, and a lot of fun to see characters who got pretty neglected in the earlier EPs shine here, despite the magic elements running rampant, and some seriously shocking twists about Battler and Beatrice here in the end. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but every fan has the right to whine once in a while, and I've taken most of the Anime in stride so far...but 23 and 24 really rubbed me the wrong way.

The upside is that we've now got most of 25 to wrap up a few loose ends and finish the 1998 storyline, leaving all of 26 for the tea parties. I'm very much looking forward to those, and I truly hope my expectations aren't betrayed as much as they were this week. I've never expected a perfect 1:1 adaptation, especially not from DEEN, but I expect it to be at least faithful to the source material in some regard...and this episode just too way too many liberties with very important scenes that I can't forgive it so easily. Two episodes left...let's hope they at least do the tea party justice.

Ended up giving this a 4. If I hadn't voted last night in anger and been raging over losing Goat-kun and a few other minor things, I'd probably give it a 5, but even at a 4, I feel like I'm being too generous.

Last edited by KanonTheFurniture; 2009-12-10 at 20:23.
Old 2009-12-10, 16:10   Link #130
Chishio no Hana
subs are out.... review time

I have to admit, I did kind of expect the goat vs Krauss scene to be cut. However, either it was wishful thinking or not, I really expected the link to be in it. I thought the special effects people would like another chance to show off

I'm curious about the whole sin thing. But they really should have put it in red text... if I hadn't heard about it, I would have actually thought that it was another trick....

When Battler said that he would put Beatrice's name as his special person, and she told him to tell her who he really liked, I was just waiting for him to say that he wasn't joking...

yay for Gapgapgapgapgap!!!

Kanon's sword shrunk O.o and his smile is scary....

Ange showed very little emotion... when I saw it, I thought that she should be making much more of a ruckus, like Eva-Beatrice did when she was about to be denied.

Jessica's phone call was good.

Overall, this episode was very.... I don't know how to put it. Some parts were good, some parts were terrible.... if it wasn't for the great voice acting, I would be despairing over this... I think a 5/10
Old 2009-12-10, 16:27   Link #131
Trust the red.
It wasn't horrendous. I could rate based on adaptation value, but given how an anime based off of a VN as complex as Umineko could never succeed perfectly, I will rate on entertainment, and it was ok. Therefore, a six.

Thanks to Tjaard!
Old 2009-12-10, 16:36   Link #132
The Silent Ninja Perv
Send a message via Yahoo to gigaloki
Originally Posted by Xapheron View Post
Spoiler for review:

To those flaming those flaming this episode, read the novel(lol). It isn't just a few jokes here and there that are being missed out, it's whole chunks of plot being cut. And in an intricate story like Umineko, it's a big deal.
i think they're giving no big deal with the series' artwork... only to say the Umineko already has an anime adaption or anything like that.

Old 2009-12-10, 16:37   Link #133
The Silent Ninja Perv
Send a message via Yahoo to gigaloki
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
It wasn't just me right? I was quite lost in this episode...

I was hoping that by episode 24 I'd understand a lot more...but half of this still isn't making any sense to me :'(

yeah yeah right... anime doesn't give sense at all, wont understand a bit if you haven't played or read about it, i suggest you try the manga instead... got more details there.

umineko anime is epic fail

Last edited by gigaloki; 2009-12-10 at 16:38. Reason: ADD NOTES
Old 2009-12-10, 17:11   Link #134
Omg this ep ...

Well , i lol at Jessica/George combo breaker .

Asumu ? who is he/she ? don't remember .
And wtf in the end ... (lol i mistaken with the vote, put it good instead below average ... )
Old 2009-12-10, 17:16   Link #135
The Great Dine
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Omg this ep ...

Well , i lol at Jessica/George combo breaker .

Asumu ? who is he/she ? don't remember .
And wtf in the end ... (lol i mistaken with the vote, put it good instead below average ... )
Asumu is Battler's real mother (or so he thought). She was mentioned by Kyrie in episode 16. The game mentioned her early on as well, but for some reason DEEN decided not to make mention of it in the anime.

Sig by nocco
Old 2009-12-10, 17:16   Link #136
I'm almost there!
Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Asumu is Battler's mother who died 6 years ago. After she died, Rudolph married Kyrie.
Old 2009-12-10, 17:27   Link #137
Ow ok , that's why i found it weird that Battle said "Kyrie" instead of "Mother"
So , he wasn't born from Asumu , the red truth didn't work ? But Beatrice said that he refused ..

Is it real , Beatrice's emo part .. remind me the others episodes when she was playing with Battler .

And , we can settle this show that the magic really exist huh?
Old 2009-12-10, 18:14   Link #138
ok, I havent really followed the threads in anisuki, and I posted this on other forum. But since i had the impression last time that ppl here might be more rational, i guess i might as wellcopy past my theory here~

ok, I have been trying to think of some theories, but this arc is confusing so far, i think to sum it up short would help clearing the vision

so this is how the 1st twilight starts:
Kinzo shows up in the meeting of 14 people (including himself), among them, 6 are supposed to be killed, 5 prisoned and 2 have escaped. There was then a call from Krauss telling the 4 grandchildren to partake a kind of test (separately?) and to lock the 2 escaped servants up in a storehouse. The (only?) key is then thrown into the storehouse; so theoretically, nobody can either enter or come out of it.

the order of who takes test first is then announced by Kyrie through phone call. Jessica and George are called out first (separately), then Battler and Maria. Both Jessica and George are supposed to have died. Jessica calls Battler shortly before she dies and warns him of the culprit not being human.

In the mean time, the (supposed) 5 prisoners escape but are killed one after the other on the run. The last one is Kyrie who calls Battler one last time telling him to believe magic if a witch or etc is to show up.

Then the last phone call is made by an unknown person who claims to be Beatrice. When battler comes out of his room, he finds both servants murdered in the still locked storehouse. When Battler arrives at his designated place, he finds a box containing letter on the floor, and a woman up on the dark balcony.

And so here is my thought:
the most obvious thing solvable in this mess have to be the murder of 2 servants in locked room (storehouse). Battler saw the corpses and death is almost certain.
Well, how to kill people in a closed room while the only key is inside the room as well?

I think only explanation in this case should be:
After the children locked Gohda and Kumasawa in the storeroom, the key was thrown into the room through the window. The children left, and somebody(s) else came. He revealed himself to the 2 inside the locked room, and they gave him the key through the window. This person opened the door, murdered Gohda and Kumasawa inside, set it up, locked the room, left with the key.
So obvious thing to check if this is exactly how it happened, is only to check if Gohda or Kumasawa still has the key~

Now to the part how this could happen (aka why gave the key to culprit). Well, obvious explanation would be Gohda and Kumasawa knew this murderer and were actually accomplice themselves, but for various reason, they are useless now and the culprit decided to get rid of them. So when they threw the key through the window, they were hoping to be freed, which was sadly not what the murderer had in mind.

Now with this in mind, think about the 1st twilight again:
14 people meeting, 6 killed, 5 prisoned, 2 escaped, 1 insane; This is the story Krauss/Kyrie were suggesting, and how Gohda and Kumasawa described it. Since these 2 servants are now confirmed as accomplice (to their own murderer), it is obvious to doubt what they said (which we all do anyway~). And since the story they told fits the one Krauss and Kyrie suggested, it is only logical to say Krauss and Kyrie were the ones who murdered Gohda and Kumasawa; but I would be more careful there…it is only safe to say Krauss and Kyrie are at least accomplices in this arc, whether or not they are culprits or it is still someone else, is still to be shown I believe~

my personal opinion is that Krauss and kyrie might not know the death of Gohda and Kumasawa. I (most certainly) suspect another culprit. And Nanjo, or even Shanon and Kanon were closer to this main culprit than Kyrie and Krauss~
And even though Battler hasnt seen most of the dead himself, i believe most of them really died, like eva, george etc...but it would be safer to wait till battler confirms the corpses before making further theory here~
Old 2009-12-10, 18:15   Link #139
June 1983
Because he was unable to say that he was Asumu's son in red, that means that he was in fact lied to and Asumu is not his biological mother (though obviously she raised him until she died six years ago).

That doesn't mean he isn't an Ushiromiya though.
Old 2009-12-10, 18:23   Link #140
Urusai! (うるさい
*Graphic Designer
This episode left me more confused than the 23rd one.
Closed Thread