AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-03, 10:29   Link #681
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Where the nameplate is conspicuously absent. So yes, she's moved. He just went there for remembrance.

I'm reminded of a guy whose keepsake of his beloved was a handkerchief... which she'd never even touched, but that he'd got in the same city she once lived in. Because anything more intense would be too much for him.
well, that's a nice double catch, rep for you
Old 2011-04-03, 12:05   Link #682
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Spoiler for 25:
Old 2011-04-03, 19:31   Link #683
kitten320

Spoiler for 25:
Old 2011-04-04, 09:26   Link #684
Xagzan

Haha, nice cliffhanger ending. I didn't epxect them to introduce Miura this season.

And I really think they handled the first phone convo well between Mashiro and Miho. It's a pretty big step in their relationship, for people like them anyway.

And I imagine that now everyone got an idea of who the Otter 11 character from the character poll posted here was.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 12:07   Link #685
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Bakuman is the fairy tale of two high schoolers, as they try to become famous mangaka. And I say “fairy tale” and not “story” because it couldn’t be done in a more idealistic and easy-going way. I have been an amateur cartoonist in my teens as well and trust when I tell you that the problems these guys face couldn’t be more detached from reality.

“The girl I love and have never spoken to agrees to marry me as soon as I make my first anime series before I am even 18 years old. My parents who were always negative towards me becoming a mangaka agree to let me to it after 5 minutes of argument. My uncle was a famous mangaka and I now get his workshop full of manga and equipment all for free. My sweetheart’s best friend happens to love my best friend too. My sweetheart’s mother happened to love my uncle too, so it is DNA telling me that I deserve to have her. And money or school exams are just minor distractions.”

All that and several more are what alienated me from the very first episode; there is no real conflict in the show and everything plays out as convenient as possible. But I guess all that are trivial if you just accept the fact you are watching an unrealistic story about some cartoons who want to become famous. It all works just fine if you like the aesthetics and don’t try to see the whole thing as realistic. The characters are all lively and their goals seem plausible under the light way everything is presented. All you see them doing is studying for awhile, then taking part in silly school romances, then they draw some manga, and then they take them to some director to approve them or not. Sure, it all looks understandable and acceptable if chicks love you even if you spend most of your time neglecting them to draw cartoons and if the publishing company is a few blocks away from your house and the publishers there are more than willing to accept your works. Oh, and of course if you have a billion bucks to never run out of equipment or food.

The show is not afraid to mention their real names and even some vague reasons of why they were so successful. It is also full of tips around becoming good in the field and on a very basic level does help someone to know what it means to dedicate yourself to the field. It also helps the average Jump Shonen fan to have a sense of familiarity with what is going on in the story.

Down to it, Bakuman is an otaku-oriented show. It will mean a lot less to anyone not deep into the field and chances are they will see it as nothing but yet another light school romcom or something. As for those who are deep into the hobby, chances are they will like it a lot for its take on the thing they like and the various cameos of Shonen Jump titles it has left and right. On the other hand, those who are actually affiliated with manga-making will most likely feel alienated or even offended with how unreal the whole deal plays out. I mean, sure, Genshiken and NHK were also unreal shows around real aspects of life but they were still dramatic and serious enough to be deemed as acceptable a lot easier. In Bakuman there is no real conflict, no feeling of dread if something goes wrong, no real reason to care about the characters. Hell, chances are you will like the Shonen Jump references more than you will like the characters, as if the entire show is nothing else but some sort of propaganda documentary around the bright side of manga-making.

One would of course wonder why am I making such a fuss over realism and don’t just accept the series as a cute little story about two kids who want to become the best in the world, like in any stereotypical Shonen Jump title. Sure, I could do that. The thing is, all those other titles had INTERESTING CHARACTERS AND IMPOSING CONFLICTS. Bakuman lacks all that completely. I don’t care about the characters because as personalities they are just 2-dimensional stereotypes. No superpowers or wacky powers/looks/goals either. And what exactly is their problem again? “Oh no, my story didn’t get published; I guess I will now need to find a different better paid and more secured profession.”

Comparing the variety and the depth of the Bakuman cast with that of Genshiken or NHK, or hell, even with Kuromi-chan, everyone can easily see how the first receive a devastating defeat on all aspects. What makes it even more boring, is how the mangaka of the story is none other than the dude who made Death Note and Hikaru no Go. Bakuman is by far a lot less exciting than his previous works, and on top of that the production values of the anime are just good. The characters look typical, there are no interesting backgrounds and the music score is completely forgettable.

So is Bakuman a good show? For an anime which deals with manga-making it is definitely the best… because there is no other competition. It is full of references to famous anime and provides some tips for the rookies to know what is going on behind the scenes. Other than that, it is nothing but an unrealistic romcom, with simplistic characters and an easy-going plot.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 19:38   Link #686
Guido

Page 25. Yes and No

It was around October 2008 that I read first the chapter of the Bakuman manga, and the story with the characters was what pulled me in in an instant.

This was not the last episode, but the anime went to stand-by mode until resuming in October.

The romantic theme with manga-making as the plot device is inherent, and is Bakuman's driving force and inspiration. But, to tell the truth, the most vexxing flaw for this story lies that Mashiro and Miho beat too severely around the bush and delivering long-winded explanations (majority of them founded upon fairy-tale ideals, as someone previously posted before) that prevent from developing true chemistry between those two leads.

What drove me best for Bakuman was this pair of boys, whom upon acknowledging each respective skills for drawing and writing, agreed to form an inseparately duo to create and deliver their own manga serialization, as they must confront with the social pressures of puberty and adolescence like any other guys their do. However, unlike their peers, Mashiro and Takagi began learning through experiences about the intricate and layered world of manga business, which Mashiro's late uncle summed up that career in manga at the end amount to gambling with your skills, passions, and fighting spirit.

It was a nice touch that a few, new characters were introduced (even if was in cameos) so to deliver a taste to anime-only viewers about things to come and expect for the second season.

Anyways, for the past autumn 2010 anime season, this was the second title that I have concluded.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 08:52   Link #687
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Review of Bakuman is up on The Nihon Review:

[NHRV] Bakuman
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 11:21   Link #688
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Belated series review from a slightly shaky Tokyo:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 08:00   Link #689
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Down to it, Bakuman is an otaku-oriented show. It will mean a lot less to anyone not deep into the field and chances are they will see it as nothing but yet another light school romcom or something. As for those who are deep into the hobby, chances are they will like it a lot for its take on the thing they like and the various cameos of Shonen Jump titles it has left and right. On the other hand, those who are actually affiliated with manga-making will most likely feel alienated or even offended with how unreal the whole deal plays out. I mean, sure, Genshiken and NHK were also unreal shows around real aspects of life but they were still dramatic and serious enough to be deemed as acceptable a lot easier. In Bakuman there is no real conflict, no feeling of dread if something goes wrong, no real reason to care about the characters. Hell, chances are you will like the Shonen Jump references more than you will like the characters, as if the entire show is nothing else but some sort of propaganda documentary around the bright side of manga-making.
Wow, so you are someone "actually affiliated with manga-making"? I'm impressed
Old 2011-06-28, 11:53   Link #690
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Bakuman licensed by Media Blasters today.
Old 2011-06-28, 22:16   Link #691
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Sigh this isnt worth licensing
Old 2011-06-28, 23:27   Link #692
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Bakuman licensed by Media Blasters today.
Decent news. Especially knowing that Media Blasters are still around.
Old 2011-06-28, 23:29   Link #693
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Decent news. Especially knowing that Media Blasters are still around.
They'll ALWAYS be around. I mean they do have their other multitude of live-action labels as well.

darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-30, 02:40   Link #694
CrowKenobi

An update: Media Blasters has also licensed the upcoming season.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-08, 17:57   Link #695
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

SJ is has a poll asking the readers which "fictional" manga they want to see adapted. Now go vote for Hideout Door!

I'm very, very interested in why they would be doing this. Certain obvious possibilities present themselves.
Old 2011-08-08, 23:01   Link #696
Toddler Naruto
Playful Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
An update: Media Blasters has also licensed the upcoming season.
That right there is awesome news .
Toddler Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-09, 12:25   Link #697
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
SJ is has a poll asking the readers which "fictional" manga they want to see adapted. Now go vote for Hideout Door!

I'm very, very interested in why they would be doing this. Certain obvious possibilities present themselves.
Voted for Otter 11. You just can't beat an otter man upholding justice with his rock-hard fists - he beats YOU instead. There's a reason it's the only one of Bakuman's fictional manga to have gotten a one-shot.
Old 2011-08-16, 09:25   Link #698
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
i still can't believe this happened........

http://youtu.be/
GYROZETTER
DRAGUN H.E.X. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 23:57   Link #699
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

No new thread? Well, liked the S2 premiere very much.
Old 2011-10-02, 01:18   Link #700
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for S2 Ep1:

Tags
comedy, comic works, coming of age, shounen