AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-12, 22:42   Link #781
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
at the end of episode 7 is getting exciting. The gang going on hiatus to boycott the ruling. The thing I don't get is why the editors from the other authors care about Ashirogi Muto going on hiatus. Having Ashirogi Muto go on hiatus means less competition for them. It makes sense that they agree that having Ashirogi Muto go on hiatus until april is not fair but going as far as supporting the gang in boycotting just doesn't make too much sense to me.
__________________
ZGMF-X10A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 22:56   Link #782
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Wow the Chief laid down a big decision there. Hiramaru and Niizuma antics are always great. Nice job by Fukuda to get everyone to boycott. Let the battle begin!
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 23:14   Link #783
larethian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
at the end of episode 7 is getting exciting. The gang going on hiatus to boycott the ruling. The thing I don't get is why the editors from the other authors care about Ashirogi Muto going on hiatus. Having Ashirogi Muto go on hiatus means less competition for them. It makes sense that they agree that having Ashirogi Muto go on hiatus until april is not fair but going as far as supporting the gang in boycotting just doesn't make too much sense to me.
eh? who says the editors are supporting the boycott? for the authors, they are Team Fukada. Friendship is one of the 3 pillars of Jump.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 01:30   Link #784
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
at the end of episode 7 is getting exciting. The gang going on hiatus to boycott the ruling. The thing I don't get is why the editors from the other authors care about Ashirogi Muto going on hiatus. Having Ashirogi Muto go on hiatus means less competition for them. It makes sense that they agree that having Ashirogi Muto go on hiatus until april is not fair but going as far as supporting the gang in boycotting just doesn't make too much sense to me.
They care because it's wrong, period - they can see it's unfair to Masahiro to be punished for who his Uncle was. That doesn't mean they'll support the boycott - in fact I'm sure they won't, because it's their job to keep writers writing. But I suspect they'll try and forestall a disaster by promising the writers that they'll do everything they can to persuade Sasaki to change his mind.

It's amazing how much more intense this series has gotten - I was really charged up with righteous indignation. Fukuda isn't my favorite but he's unbeatable for rabble-rousing. I'd said that Sasaki had to be the adult in the room and make a rational decision, but I was wrong about him - he made a cowardly decision based on guilt. I can't blame Masahiro's mother for her role, as she's just worried about her son - but the minute she said she wanted him to quit altogether she disqualified herself as a reasonable judge. By her own admission, she wants to destroy Masahiro's career. I really wonder if Masahiro's Dad is going to get involved. He's been absent for a long time, and Nobuhiro was his brother, and he seems to understand his son's dreams a lot better than his wife does. A word from him to Sasaki would go a long way.

The reasonable solution is obviously a compromise, where Trap goes on hiatus but only until Masahiro is released. But that would require Sasaki to back down and to stand up to Masahiro's mother, and I don't see him doing either. And he definitely doesn't seem like the sort of guy that will respond well to threats.
__________________
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 05:59   Link #785
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
They care because it's wrong, period - they can see it's unfair to Masahiro to be punished for who his Uncle was. That doesn't mean they'll support the boycott - in fact I'm sure they won't, because it's their job to keep writers writing. But I suspect they'll try and forestall a disaster by promising the writers that they'll do everything they can to persuade Sasaki to change his mind.

It's amazing how much more intense this series has gotten - I was really charged up with righteous indignation. Fukuda isn't my favorite but he's unbeatable for rabble-rousing. I'd said that Sasaki had to be the adult in the room and make a rational decision, but I was wrong about him - he made a cowardly decision based on guilt. I can't blame Masahiro's mother for her role, as she's just worried about her son - but the minute she said she wanted him to quit altogether she disqualified herself as a reasonable judge. By her own admission, she wants to destroy Masahiro's career. I really wonder if Masahiro's Dad is going to get involved. He's been absent for a long time, and Nobuhiro was his brother, and he seems to understand his son's dreams a lot better than his wife does. A word from him to Sasaki would go a long way.

The reasonable solution is obviously a compromise, where Trap goes on hiatus but only until Masahiro is released. But that would require Sasaki to back down and to stand up to Masahiro's mother, and I don't see him doing either. And he definitely doesn't seem like the sort of guy that will respond well to threats.
It's natural to feel for Mashiro, but I don't think Sasaki's decision is necessarily wrong. It's obvious Mashiro's cut from the same cloth as his uncle, so wanting to stop him from killing himself is a valid concern. And I don't think "discharged" is the same as "ready to draw". Trying to juggle school and manga is what landed him in the hospital in the first place. Having him drop out is more reasonable, but it's its own can of worms.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 06:13   Link #786
thundrakkon
Anime-Only Viewer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
I just want to give the Chief Editor a high-five. He really laid down the law and showed who is boss. Although April is extreme, it is still not unreasonable. They are going to be out for 3-4 months anyway, so what is a few more months going to do?

Besides, they can use that time to really brush up Giganta Trap. Takagi could project really far ahead in the story and create a very comprehensive and enticing story.

Also, like mother like son. Mashiro's mom is as stubborn as her son with her one track mind and decision making, and it does not matter if she is right or not. Mashiro will not use this to reflect on himself, but instead will probably put blame on his mother.

As for the other mangaka, it just seems like the story is going out of control. I can understand friendship, but to risk your very young serialization to be canceled on an impulse action? As intense as these seens are, they just are so over the top incredibly unbelievable that they are hard to be taken seriously. However, it is what it is to move the story along.

I enjoyed the chief editor, Sasaki, a lot. I enjoyed Azuki and Mashiro moments. I did not enjoy how gullible everyone else was to just do whatever Mashiro wanted. If he dies, no more Giganta Trap. Did everyone forget about that? He could relapse right after his release from the hospital as well. I do hope Hattori will be able to make the right decision, and set everything right, though.
__________________
<img src=http://forums.animesuki.com/picture.php?albumid=4341&pictureid=57813 border=0 alt= />
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 06:45   Link #787
traveler
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
The chief's decision is pure BS, especially because he's unfairly using Mashiro 's uncle as a basis for it. On top of that, he's not considering Mashiro's feelings. His mother is just as unfair... and frankly plain unlikeable at this point. Like Mashiro said, he doesn't need to attend school for the moment, so he can get the rest he needs and maintain TRAP. With that said, he was reckless to get to this point and should have taken care of himself better... that doesn't mean he can't learn from his mistake and continue with serialization.

Last edited by traveler; 2011-11-15 at 04:20.
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 10:08   Link #788
larethian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
I just want to give the Chief Editor a high-five. He really laid down the law and showed who is boss. Although April is extreme, it is still not unreasonable. They are going to be out for 3-4 months anyway, so what is a few more months going to do?

Besides, they can use that time to really brush up Giganta Trap. Takagi could project really far ahead in the story and create a very comprehensive and enticing story.

Also, like mother like son. Mashiro's mom is as stubborn as her son with her one track mind and decision making, and it does not matter if she is right or not. Mashiro will not use this to reflect on himself, but instead will probably put blame on his mother.

As for the other mangaka, it just seems like the story is going out of control. I can understand friendship, but to risk your very young serialization to be canceled on an impulse action? As intense as these seens are, they just are so over the top incredibly unbelievable that they are hard to be taken seriously. However, it is what it is to move the story along.

I enjoyed the chief editor, Sasaki, a lot. I enjoyed Azuki and Mashiro moments. I did not enjoy how gullible everyone else was to just do whatever Mashiro wanted. If he dies, no more Giganta Trap. Did everyone forget about that? He could relapse right after his release from the hospital as well. I do hope Hattori will be able to make the right decision, and set everything right, though.
There's a reason why Mashiro is so upset and anxious. I refer you to the comment he made last episode about a new series going on hiatus compared to a long running series.

As to Sasaki, his actions are unreasonable because he's doing it in a discriminatory way. Note the comment Mashiro made to which Sasaki agreed, "if his uncle is not Kawaguchi, the hiatus for Gitantei TRAP will not last till April", which makes it unreasonable.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 12:50   Link #789
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
There's a reason why Mashiro is so upset and anxious. I refer you to the comment he made last episode about a new series going on hiatus compared to a long running series.

As to Sasaki, his actions are unreasonable because he's doing it in a discriminatory way. Note the comment Mashiro made to which Sasaki agreed, "if his uncle is not Kawaguchi, the hiatus for Gitantei TRAP will not last till April", which makes it unreasonable.
Except his uncle was Kawaguchi. Saying that kind of has the same spirit as saying, "well, if so-and-so character wasn't in so-and-so series, nobody would like it as much as they do." But the problem there is, that character is part of the series. That's the reality, and you can't just discount it. The series wouldn't be that series without that character, so why act like judgments shouldn't be made based around the character's existence?

It's the same here. Mashiro's relation to Kawaguchi Taro factors in. It's the unavoidable reality, and it can't be ignored. Ultimately, I did think Sasaki's decision of next April was a bit too long, but at that point, with everyone else letting Mashiro go down the same harmful road, I was just grateful for anyone to go a different direction, even if he did go a little too far.

But also, even if we do consider April to be overkill, you also must consider that Mashiro wasn't exactly proving himself to be a mature adult who was sensible enough to be allowed to continue right after being discharged. One of the editors at the end said, "they're not considering Ashirogi's feelings!" Well, that's because Ashirogi wasn't considering anyone else's feelings. All they can see is their series. They don't see how Mashiro's family already suffered one heartbreak, how it probably also affected his friends as Shounen Jump as well, or his mother's feelings once Mashiro took on the same job as his uncle, and now he's already hospitalized at such a young age. That's not exactly an encouraging sign. No, in the end they really are just thinking purely about themselves, so somebody else had to think about the others. Sasaki ended up being the one to do so.

It's not like that was the only reason for his decision, though. If you notice, the doctor said flat out, only drawing in moderation is acceptable. But drawing for a weekly series, with 20 pages and a constant tight deadline? I doubt a moderate drawing schedule would be sufficient for that workload.

It's really a complicated issue. Hard to find a good answer.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 13:20   Link #790
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
It's not like that was the only reason for his decision, though. If you notice, the doctor said flat out, only drawing in moderation is acceptable. But drawing for a weekly series, with 20 pages and a constant tight deadline? I doubt a moderate drawing schedule would be sufficient for that workload.
Indeed. Even in the hospital, he's showed he just can't restrain himself. That scene with Miho might have been touching, but what it really says is that he's learnt nothing. Even in the hospital, he refuses to pace himself.

Quote:
It's really a complicated issue. Hard to find a good answer.
From an editorial POV, it ought to be pretty clear cut. Losing a somewhat promising series would be a pity, but they get several of them every month. (Plus, it's not guaranteed a hiatus will kill it.) OTOH, having a high school student mangaka kill himself working would be a huge loss. Everyone agrees he's got talent - but they'll lose all his future works if he dies. And of course, the bad publicity would be nothing to laugh about, either.

From a human POV... Yeah, there it's more complicated. Though it's unsurprising he'd sympathise with Mashiro's mother, while all the young ones sympathise with Mashiro.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 13:49   Link #791
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Mashiro working hard...
Well, at least he gets to spend some time with Azuki.
The chief editor's decision was way too extreme.
I don't like it one bit.
Authors vs editors!
__________________

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 14:24   Link #792
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Indeed. Even in the hospital, he's showed he just can't restrain himself. That scene with Miho might have been touching, but what it really says is that he's learnt nothing. Even in the hospital, he refuses to pace himself.
That's definitely true, but what I was getting at in that first quote was that even if Mashiro could restrain himself, lessening his drawing time so much seems like it would make it unfeasible to meet their deadlines week after week. A more laid back drawing schedule, I don't think, would cut it.

I was trying to show how Sasaki's decision wasn't just an emotional one, but likely based on the real life implications of the situation, such as what the doctor said about drawing in moderation.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 02:21   Link #793
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: brunei darusalam
Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
did they just removed Takagi's "two souls one body"/"two bodies one soul" part? that was like the funniest quote ever....
__________________
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 04:13   Link #794
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 30
@Guardian Enzo,

...who is this 'Masahiro' dude you keep speaking of?

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 12:31   Link #795
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
What's a little extra A between friends...
__________________
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 21:47   Link #796
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 36
New Page 6: Sickness and Determination

I would have to reread the manga from the beginning, because I'm certain they took some creative differences when Azuki determined to visit Mashiro at the hospital.

I'm pretty sure that while Azuki felt overwhelmed and grieved about learning from Takagi that Mashiro got interred in the hospital, she was in a state of confusion whether to uphold to the promise or to will herself to go for Mashiro's sake.

The importance of this difference is to have Azuki showing a strong side to her frail and shy self, that she's grown-up to become assertive and confident as to trust Mashiro on what the latter's doing. They exchanged promises and vows and just as Mashiro confided what he truly loved about her when Azuki felt unsure at the time she was offered to make the photobook, Azuki wants to have Mashiro confide in her and in a way to confess him that she'll support his decision no matter the adverse effects carried.

This was best highlighted when she held hands with Mashiro give him support to hold the pen and continue penn-ing the remainder for the manuscript.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 00:00   Link #797
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah I'm more giving props to Sasaki for his decision than anything else. Maybe the hiatus is a bit too long, but that's the only thing I'd question there. Someone has to put their foot down because Mashiro can't stop himself and Takagi can't/won't stop him. If he's not going to think long term or about his own life then someone's got to make the call for him.

Can understand Mashiro's concern about what might happen when going on a hiatus now. Yet really it isn't guaranteed they'll go down and even if they do he'll be alive to start a new one. With their talent they won't be held out for very long before being right back in there, possibly with something better.

With how Mashiro has been acting lately I'd support just about anyone trying to stop him.
__________________
FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 22:43   Link #798
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Spoiler for ep 8:
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 02:27   Link #799
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep8:
__________________
FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 04:26   Link #800
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Well, at least he finally got out of hospital.
Things are going for the better.
Great ending scene!!
__________________

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, comic works, coming of age, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.