AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-06-26, 07:31   Link #261
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

(Potential spoilers for The Metamorphosis)

Well I guess Watashi's NEET mode goes into full effect this episode. It's practically genius that this episode is exactly the OP itself.

Of course his entire monologue at the start helps drive home just what the concept of the 4.5 Tatami room is, at least for Watashi anyway, considering that he's now a shut in of sorts having decided to forgo the world for his own. His 4.5 Tatami Galaxy is no longer just his room but the symbolic manifestation of his entire emotional existence, that of one who is clearly afraid (yes I will now concede to some manner of his cowardice) to let anybody, and I do mean ANYBODY, in. The more he describes his own room to a terrifying degree of detail, and how looking through the doors and windows seem to reveal more of his own room, it goes to show that his 4.5 Tatami room isn't as much his own paradise as it is his own prison.

I should also add that the reference to Franz's Kafka's seminal work The Metamorphosis was rather brilliant and utterly fitting for a man who found himself so alienated from the rest of the world that he, in a way, finds himself more a monster than a human. Of course I wouldn't say that Watashi's as far gone as Gregor Samsa, and Watashi has had far more opportunities at redemption than Gregor ever did. While Gregor Samsa's family did to some extent attempt to support him during the earlier stages of his transformation, nearing the end people just forgot about him and found him to be more a disgusting burden than a family member, quite ironic with him being the breadwinner. Contrast to Watashi who's had help reached out to him so many times yet he simply could not (or did not?) reach out himself. The sad thing about Watashi is that, unlike Gregor who was at his sanity's end with a world that has thrown him away, it was Watashi who had given up on everyone else.

I'm actually quite surprised at his relatively capable grip on reality at the start for someone who finds himself trapped in an absurd situation, his delusions of grandeur none withstanding. Of course it begins to break after a while, especially when alcohol is involved (did he have an infinite supply of whiskey with that castella?). At least he finds something to do with his time, like getting rich and... stuff.

And so he finally realizes that the situation he's in is the very situation that gives the resets: Multiple Worlds Interpretation comes into play as he realizes each room is each choice he made in each various possibility in his life, all of which (at least up to now) have been for the suck. It's hilarious that he encounters everything the previous episodes have thrown at him, but for Watashi himself it should have served more as his own path to catharsis than anything else. It would seem that in this incarnation Watashi now has some vague memories of previous universes ala Higurashi.

He called this place his 4.5 Tatami hell but I beg to differ. To me this wasn't exactly his punishment, but more like finally dammit the higher powers that be had finally thrown him the proverbial bone: in this endless 4.5 Tatami universe he finally gets the chance to reflect and to think about all the choices and all the what if scenarios that had and could transpire, and finally realize that all this brooding and all this despairing at his failures had taken him nowhere. By literally imprisoning himself he had given himself the opportunity to look at his life in another way. By being alone he realizes just how lonely he is. Shutting himself off from the world is not the solution to his problems.

At this point I would assume he finally knows what he has to do. He said so himself: there were those people in his life who were happy even if their lives were not rose-colored ones. Perhaps he can now believe that he can too find happiness that is also not rose-colored? We shall probably see in the finale next week of Watashi can find some semblance of happiness even if it is not the one he expected to find. Then again, doesn't happiness come from the most unexpected place? That is of course if he can find his way out of the neverending 4.5 Tatami room.

And the key to his escape from his glass prison? The key's been dangling in the middle of his room since the first episode, pulling it every time he opens or closes the light. I'm sure everyone agrees.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 07:42   Link #262
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
I recently picked this up and admittedly the art takes some time to get used to (and I'm still indifferent towards it) but man, this series is some hilarious shit. Proxy Wars is probably one of the funniest episode (in a clever way) I've seen in this year.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 07:59   Link #263
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
One sort of subtle point I don't see people commenting on is that the impetus for Watashi to set off on his journey across to other rooms is not really courage or the will to escape...

But the simple human factor of bodily waste. The boarding house has communal bathrooms, and it's in fact because he needed to go to the bathroom that he first discovered he was trapped (and then ended up peeing in a bottle, if you look very carefully).

His original room (room 0 as it is called in the novel) must have gotten pretty disgusting after a week and he was forced to move away from it (and labeled the door with a "lavatory" sign, probably intending to use that room for that purpose only).

I wouldn't call it any deep act of courage that he set off on his journey across the rooms.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 08:02   Link #264
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
One sort of subtle point I don't see people commenting on is that the impetus for Watashi to set off on his journey across to other rooms is not really courage or the will to escape...

But the simple human factor of bodily waste. The boarding house has communal bathrooms, and it's in fact because he needed to go to the bathroom that he first discovered he was trapped (and then ended up peeing in a bottle, if you look very carefully).

His original room (room 0 as it is called in the novel) must have gotten pretty disgusting after a week and he was forced to move away from it (and labeled the door with a "lavatory" sign, probably intending to use that room for that purpose only).

I wouldn't call it any deep act of courage that he set off on his journey across the rooms.
Really? I thought he only started out cause he was hungry and I actually believed the rest of his exploration was because of greed when he realized he could find an infinite amount of 1000 notes by going through all the rooms.
Old 2010-06-26, 09:12   Link #265
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Really? I thought he only started out cause he was hungry and I actually believed the rest of his exploration was because of greed when he realized he could find an infinite amount of 1000 notes by going through all the rooms.
From my script:

The most real thing to me was a single physiological need I was struggling with.
To put it plainly, I couldn't stand the smell.
One day I couldn't stand it any more and I hastily left on a journey to get far away from that room.

It's not said _directly_, but that's what was implied.
Old 2010-06-26, 10:26   Link #266
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I was actually thinking more about his inability to bathe, but then again we recognize that he uses his coffee percolators to heat water and then take a bath in that. I did recognize that he placed a 'lavatory' sign on his previous door, and then just got the reference. Thanks.

Anyway I still hope to be answered with regard to the similarity of the Jungian collective unconscious to the microcosmic collective unconscious that the Watashi of episode 10 shares with the other existences. Despite not knowing them (as they are, after all, in parallel worlds), he knows something primordial about them without knowing why. More of that discussion can be found in the link on my signature, or here.

For better or for worse, I'm going to miss writing about the intricacies of The Tatami Galaxy.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 11:08   Link #267
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
I was actually thinking more about his inability to bathe, but then again we recognize that he uses his coffee percolators to heat water and then take a bath in that. I did recognize that he placed a 'lavatory' sign on his previous door, and then just got the reference. Thanks.

Anyway I still hope to be answered with regard to the similarity of the Jungian collective unconscious to the microcosmic collective unconscious that the Watashi of episode 10 shares with the other existences. Despite not knowing them (as they are, after all, in parallel worlds), he knows something primordial about them without knowing why. More of that discussion can be found in the link on my signature, or here.

For better or for worse, I'm going to miss writing about the intricacies of The Tatami Galaxy.
Switch over to the second favorite simulcast show of mine I translate ATM: Yumeiro Patissiere!
Then you can write 1000 word missives on yummy cakes.
Old 2010-06-26, 11:23   Link #268
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:

Well if anything it goes to show that at that point he's withdrawn so much into his own shell that it took more basic biological needs to draw him out. Granted it's likely that if his room had EVERYTHING he'd need to survive he'd likely never leave.
Old 2010-06-26, 12:43   Link #269
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Switch over to the second favorite simulcast show of mine I translate ATM: Yumeiro Patissiere! Then you can write 1000 word missives on yummy cakes.
Was that or was that not dripping with sarcasm? Or do you really find that to be a good show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5
Well if anything it goes to show that at that point he's withdrawn so much into his own shell that it took more basic biological needs to draw him out. Granted it's likely that if his room had EVERYTHING he'd need to survive he'd likely never leave.
That is why he is at the nadir of cowardice this episode.
Old 2010-06-26, 13:11   Link #270
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Quote:
Was that or was that not dripping with sarcasm? Or do you really find that to be a good show?
Dig into my history a bit and you'll see.
Old 2010-06-26, 13:21   Link #271
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Dig into my history a bit and you'll see.
I realized you were involved with a certain fansub group in the past that I appreciated. But among your works I think it was only Hataraki Man I followed.

I can assume you weren't being sarcastic, then.
Old 2010-06-26, 13:35   Link #272
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
If episode 11 is as epic as it deserves to be, I am going to be a broken record when it comes to reccomending this show for the foreseeable future.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 14:52   Link #273
Raiza Sunozaki

A fascinating episode, though not as impressive to me as the previous two. It's interesting to see the interconnecting lives Watashi has led, and while they all find their individual life unfair and hard, hikikomori Watashi finds them all interesting and even remarks on how it looks like they are enjoying themselves. It sort of shows the selfishness of Watashi, that he finds his life not right and cruel sometimes, while this episode's incarnation of him seems to think they are lucky to at least be able to enjoy themselves out there.
Another thing I found interesting was how he mentions that all the different rooms have their own colour to them, which is visibly evident as he moves through them. But what's interesting is that this coincides with what Higuchi mentioned in the previous episode, that life is never rose-coloured, but instead a mix-up of many colours. Perhaps in each incarnation, Watashi grasped a fraction of what it's like to live happily, but only a fraction, which is why each of the rooms only has a different colour.
While I missed Ozu's amusing conversation and Akashi's sharp wit and great character, I found the lack of other characters fit the episode's theme of self-exploration (even on a whim of a terrible smell) perfectly.
One final note: Watashi himself mentioned early on in the episode that it's his opinion that no man should take one step inside a kitchen. Perhaps Watashi is somewhat sexist?
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 20:36   Link #274
vendredi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
To put it plainly, I couldn't stand the smell.
Yeah, this is something i picked up on as well - although more in terms of a compare-contrast with Gregor Samsa. Much like Gregor, Watashi comes to only hear and interact with others indirectly. The feel of this episode really does mirror The Metamorphosis in a lot of ways. More developed thoughts on this can be found in my post.
vendredi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 21:34   Link #275
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendredi View Post
Yeah, this is something i picked up on as well - although more in terms of a compare-contrast with Gregor Samsa. Much like Gregor, Watashi comes to only hear and interact with others indirectly. The feel of this episode really does mirror The Metamorphosis in a lot of ways. More developed thoughts on this can be found in my post.
It was a nice continuation with the similarities among the three. Unlike the other two, however, Gregor did not want to be rejected by the world, whereas Watashi and Nemo ejected themselves from society.
Old 2010-06-26, 22:33   Link #276
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
It was a nice continuation with the similarities among the three. Unlike the other two, however, Gregor did not want to be rejected by the world, whereas Watashi and Nemo ejected themselves from society.
Sometimes I think it isn't as much as Watashi ejecting themselves from society as it is Watashi rejecting society itself. Psychologically speaking many shut-ins defensive mechanisms have themselves blaming others rather than their own failings, and by extension place the blame for their own need for escape on the rest of the world rather than their own shortcomings as people. As vendredi said, contrasted to to Gregor Samsa who literally wanted to keep in touch with society and his own humanity despite being rejected due to his own monstrous transformation.

In the end at least Gregor Samsa found a bit of solace in his sister's music to bring back some semblance of humanity and reconnecting with it at the end of his tormented life, compared to the relative inhumanity of the rest of the world. Whether or not Watashi can reconnect with the human world he has cut himself off from remains to be seen.
Old 2010-06-28, 15:41   Link #277
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Psychologically speaking many shut-ins defensive mechanisms have themselves blaming others rather than their own failings, and by extension place the blame for their own need for escape on the rest of the world rather than their own shortcomings as people.
Must you expose my psychology in public for the entire world to see? It's a bit embarassing, you know!
Old 2010-06-28, 17:30   Link #278
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I don't feel like writing a mouthpiece at the moment, but I would not put the focus on Watashi as a personal, singular and unique character. His name (and the fact that it's not uttered even once during the series only strengthens this point) is already generic enough, but I believe the series is putting less focus on his being a representation of an individual (which would mean weighing more on the side of a critique or point of view about a determinate portion of society) than a generic character that deals with anxiety, nostalgia and the pains of maturing and reflecting on one's choices in a way that affects a broader spectre of people.

I'm pretty sure that most people, not only "shut-ins" or socially hampered people, wish to travel back in time in order to take a different, seemingly life-changing choice at least once in their life. And that seemingly life-changing choice occurs usually during Watashi's age.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 16:56   Link #279
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I was trying to explore the different colors occurring in the montage of room images near the end of the episode a la Masque of Red Death. I think each of the colors pertaining to the different rooms represent something: this is my take on the chromatology of the Tatami Galaxy, but there are more interpretations to be had. What do you think?
Old 2010-06-29, 19:36   Link #280
vendredi

Very interesting catch with the colours. One particular interesting bit I realized after episode 10 was the Schrodinger's Cat reference at the beginning of the show - it's actually a very apt reference for what happens in the episode, as Watashi opens each tatami room "box" and finally observes it's quantum state, and comes to realize that it's better to have opened his own box and taken some alternative rather than be stuck forever in the quantum limbo between life and death.

I've collected a whole bunch of various snippets on other minor details and compiled them into a post of sorts, for the curious.
vendredi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funimation, noitamina