AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2009-12-16, 23:42   Link #1
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Karigurashi no Arrietty

GhibliWorld has relayed the announcement of the newest Ghibli film. It is called Karigurashi no Arrietty, and is inspired by the British novel, The Borrowers. According to the producer, Toshio Suzuki, the plot revolves around "a girl who borrows many things from the human's world for her life". Here is a teaser image from their website:

Spoiler for Teaser Image:

Description:
"Karigurashi no Arrietty" is adapted from the fantasy novel "The Borrowers" by Mary Norton, which received the Carnegie Medal in 1952. The story follows a family of "little people" living under the floorboards of a house, surviving by secretly "borrowing" items from the humans who inhabit it. One day, their existence is discovered by a young boy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's not much I have to say about this upfront, since I don't know the book and I've summed up pretty much all available information. The answer to the question everyone is thinking is no, Miyazaki is not the director. Although he appeared to have been heavily involved in the planning of the film, when it comes to directing, he will apparently supervise a new first-timer - Hiromasa Yonebayashi, who has been an animator at Studio Ghibli since Spirited Away. That may be a disappointment, but I don't think anyone really expected this new announcement to be a Miyazaki film, and the studio is obviously continuing the search for new directors. Miyazaki can't continue being the leading man forever. They've tried films with other directors with varying success, hopefully this will be a good one.

It will be released in Summer 2010.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2009-12-17 at 00:31.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 00:20   Link #2
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白

ghibli is great as long as it's not the younger miyazaki
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 01:39   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I remember reading this book when I was very young - maybe 7 or 8. I loved it at the time, FWIW, and there was a live-action adaptation some years back. One of the "mid-bosses" from Ghibli appears to be directing, his fist time at the helm.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 05:57   Link #4
Theowne
耳をすませば

If it is as good as Cat Returns (another newbie director work from Ghibli), it will be a success.

My worry is not so much the director, rather the fact that adaptations, specifically adaptations of western books, don't seem to be a strength lately. Howl's Moving Castle and Tales from Earthsea, in my opinion, are two of the weaker films in the Ghibli canon. So I am approaching this with some trepidation. On the other hand, I am excited to see what this new director can do (with Miyazaki's supervision).

Old 2009-12-18, 12:04   Link #5
TCman

At last Studio Gibli is going back to their classic artstyle, although I do like Ponyo's artstyle and "simplistic" design.

As for Karigurashi no Arrietty, I think this can be interesting. From what I have heard the story takes place in Japan in modern time (21th century?) instead of Britain in the 20th century (19XX). I like this idea, but I guess many will be against this. Anyway, what I can expect from this movie is great drama, art, character design, music and story.

Also if this turns out to be a big success, there may be even sequels of the Borrowers animated movie, since there are sequels of the novels.
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 01:09   Link #6
Sakuya
*Artist

After watching Ponyo, I can't wait to watch this next one. Ponyo was just too kiddy for my tastes. I haven't read this novel before so it should be interesting.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-26, 17:34   Link #7
M.Marangio

More informations (as well as an interview and some sketches) are available at http://www.ghibliworld.com.

There is also an official (video) blog on YouTube: http://blog.karigurashi.jp/ or http://www.youtube.com/user/ghibliNishioka.

The theme song "Arrietty's song" was released on the japanese iTunes store on December 19, 2009. It is performed and sung in Japanese by the breton harpist Cťcile Corbel http://www.cecile-corbel.com/en/home.html.
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 08:26   Link #8
Jill-JÍnn
Music-mad Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Marangio View Post
The theme song "Arrietty's song" was released on the japanese iTunes store on December 19, 2009. It is performed and sung in Japanese by the breton harpist Cťcile Corbel http://www.cecile-corbel.com/en/home.html.
She is the composer of the full OST, too.
Jill-JÍnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 08:44   Link #9
FireChick

Aw. Joe Hisaishi isn't gonna compose the music? Oh well.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 17:23   Link #10
Theowne
耳をすませば

Hisaishi's partnership is with Miyazaki, not Studio Ghibli. He hasn't worked on any non-Miyazaki films.

You can actually hear the song in Toshio Suzukis radio program:

http://podcasts.tfm.co.jp/podcasts/t...uki_vol117.mp3

It starts 19:10.

It features some awkward Japanese pronunciation and quite frankly...I think it feels a bit mass-produced....I don't like it that much. It doesn't have the charm that "Kimi o Nosete" or "Tonari no Totoro" or countless other Ghibli theme songs have had....

Old 2009-12-28, 22:42   Link #11
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
ghibli is great as long as it's not the younger miyazaki
Or another Pom Poko.... 0_0 Though from reading the books before seeing Howl and Gedo I was quite pissed. So much more could have been done. I can only imagine the same for this totally ignoring the best and making something else that isn't really the book. That is my problem
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 22:52   Link #12
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Or another Pom Poko.... 0_0 Though from reading the books before seeing Howl and Gedo I was quite pissed. So much more could have been done. I can only imagine the same for this totally ignoring the best and making something else that isn't really the book. That is my problem
I don't think it will resemble the book.

Miyazaki is not in charge of the screenplay or directing, however he did write the project proposal, and he did so without re-reading the book (which says something, because he first read it in his 20s, which made him want to do the project).

So, maybe they should make it clear that this in not an adaptation, just a film based on the general concept. For example, we already know it's taking place in Japan.

Old 2009-12-28, 22:57   Link #13
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I don't think it will resemble the book.

Miyazaki is not in charge of the screenplay, however he did write the project proposal, and he did so without re-reading the book (which says something, because he first read it in his 20s, which made him want to do the project).

So, maybe they should make it clear that this in not an adaptation, just a film based on the general concept. For example, we already know it's taking place in Japan.
Thank you ^-^ Now I know better not to expect it to be like the book. I was 0_o with Gedo Senki they took like her third book i believe and took 2 characters stories and put them together. Those books have a lot more than what was shown. I wouldn't blame anyone for not really getting a grasp on the plot. But Howl >.> what was that....
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 04:05   Link #14
Jill-JÍnn
Music-mad Haruhiist

Quote:
You can actually hear the song in Toshio Suzukis radio program:

http://podcasts.tfm.co.jp/podcasts/t...uki_vol117.mp3

It starts 19:10.
You found this link on a French forum, didn't you?
It's not the whole piece. I mean, there are voices on it.

Quote:
Miyazaki is not in charge of the screenplay or directing, however he did write the project proposal, and he did so without re-reading the book (which says something, because he first read it in his 20s, which made him want to do the project).
You're talking about Gorō, right?
Old 2009-12-29, 04:14   Link #15
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
You found this link on a French forum, didn't you?
No, it was circulated on Nausicaa.net. And no, its not the same as having an mp3, but like I said, you can hear how it sounds.

Quote:
You're talking about Gorō, right?
No, Hayao. Goro is not involved in this project as far as I've heard.

Old 2009-12-29, 04:21   Link #16
Jill-JÍnn
Music-mad Haruhiist

Quote:
No, it was circulated on Nausicaa.net. And no, its not the same as having an mp3, but like I said, you can hear how it sounds.

No, Hayao. Goro is not involved in this project as far as I've heard.
OK, I thought you were talking about the films that Leo_Otaku mentioned.
Old 2009-12-29, 05:22   Link #17
Jill-JÍnn
Music-mad Haruhiist

ďMaroĒ (Hiromasa Yonebayashi) has a funny face xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuPpKMjL71U

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhibliWiki (Nausicaa.net)
According to Toshio Suzuki, Miyazaki wrote the project paper and the script for Arrietty then asked Suzuki "Who directs it?" Suzuki answered, "Maro" (Hiromasa Yonebayashi's nickname) immediately. Miyazaki was surprised and asked "Why?" It was a snap decision at the time as Suzuki recalls, "I had not spoken with Maro about being the director. I said his name as the question was asked Miya-san." They called Yonebayashi to the Miyazaki's sub-studio (Nibariki) and Miyazaki said, "You do the direction!" Yonebayashi was stunned, but he accepted after a few minutes. Yonebayashi decided to do the storyboards work without Miyazaki's assistance and when informed Miyazaki replied, "You are right, You are a man!" However, Miyazaki is very much interested in the film, and Suzuki worries about when Miyazaki will break into the project.
Old 2010-01-05, 07:31   Link #18
Jill-JÍnn
Music-mad Haruhiist

Sorry for the triple post, but it's actually justified:
Happy birthday, Hayao Miyazaki!
Old 2010-01-05, 20:11   Link #19
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Always loved Studio Gibli adaptations wonderful storytelling . Now to remember the tongue twister of a name .
Old 2010-01-05, 20:26   Link #20
Theowne
耳をすませば

69 years old.

Happy birthday + hope for a long life.

Please tone down the cigarettes, Miyazaki-san

Tags
ghibli