AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you pick the highest possible difficulty on first play through
Yeah all the time 4 13.79%
Sometimes unless I want to skip through it quick 12 41.38%
Never 13 44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-12-23, 11:26   Link #21
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

While I sympathize with the idea of how the "hard" option is no longer as "hard" as it's supposed to be (and I do notice how "easy" is disappearing from the game options to be replaced with "normal-hard-nightmare" or whatever stupid e-penis-friendly hierarchy they're using), I have to disagree with the majority here.

The HARD games, where it's like, HARD and you have to spend hours just redoing the same damn thing until you get a perfect reflex -- sucked.

Yes it appeals to a certain loyal, hardcore segment of gamers; yes I'm not the center of the world (or am I?); and yes game-makers really ought to up the ante on some more interesting challenges*, but I'm damn glad they're happening far less often now. They sucked, sucked, sucked and nothing anyone says will ever make me believe they ever were fun. The way they worked on your brain feels more like crack than cello. If the GTA games starting from GTA 3 were made in those eras, every fucking mission would have been as headache-inducing as a few notorious missions that seem to pop up every game (Vice City's helicopter, San Andreas' Zero RC plane), and no way would the games be as popular as they are today.

I play games to have fun, and I play different games differently. Challenge isn't always the goal when I play games (but isn't *never* the goal either). If I'm playing RPGs, I'm far more interested in the story and characters than I am with combat mechanics, and I'm the type to cheat up the "persuade" points sky high to "fully" experience the game while keeping Aerie over Edwin because I like her more (even though the latter's far more powerful). If I'm playing grand strategies (cue "hardcore gamers" saying, "what's that?"), I'm not looking for a challenge or a world conquest, but to shape the world to my liking. However, if I feel like letting it loose, I turn on Unreal Tournament and crank up the difficulty level as high as I want and flak away the stress of the day (going head to head with those hardcore guys online is...stressful rather than fun -_-). And finally, grinding should be necessary or even appealing to a certain limited level only.

*By interesting challenges, that depends again on the games. RPGs, for example, often lack the real roleplaying elements that they were supposed to have. Planescape: Torment was a legend precisely because it broke every RPG mechanics in existence when it decided that talking, reading, listening, and manipulating should provide far more benefits to the player than bashing the shit out of the next unfortunate mook. Maybe it's because of gaming's visual element, which it shares with movies and, yes, anime, but too many games forget that sometimes the most epic moments can come from a pivotal conversation rather than a pivotal boss fight.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 11:42   Link #22
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

So make the normal and easy modes accessible, but make the hard modes hard.

Everybody's happy.
Old 2009-12-24, 03:10   Link #23
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
The HARD games, where it's like, HARD and you have to spend hours just redoing the same damn thing until you get a perfect reflex -- sucked.
God I hate this, instead of a balanced hard setting throughout its usually only applied to certain areas of sections, which can annoy the heck out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
So make the normal and easy modes accessible, but make the hard modes hard.

Everybody's happy.
If only it was so easy-__-

I usually start out in normal and then go back for 2nds in a harder setting, altho sometimes mostly with FPS, I did play Halo 2 and 3 in their harder settings at first as I spent loads of time on first game and felt like nothing could stop me.
Its usually after a while I stick a with a hard difficulty but periods where I can't be arsed I'll shift it into easy gear and have some fun, it all really depends on my mood.
Which my friends don't like as I always feel doing the opposite of everyone else most of the time
When everyone else is usually up it and wants to do good, I'm like meh which doesn't really go so well on hardest difficulties

RTS is where I find difficulties can vary greatly and for most part are pretty easy. Its the same thing over and over, once you figure out a quick building routine, setting up camp and preparing for the super quick assault, surviving that assault and then your home free.
Old 2009-12-24, 07:08   Link #24
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
If only it was so easy-__-
*shrug* It is. Gaming companies just need to remember this. Sure, you'll have a few random whiners complaining "I can't beat the game on hard mode!" but to those you can simply say "Yeah, that's why they call it hard mode."

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-12-24 at 18:23.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 14:02   Link #25
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

The problem is I'm never sure if Hard means "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHI- dead" or challenging but fair. I don't really trust myself nor the developer in that department.
Since no developer knows their target audience's level of skill, games scale differently.
One game has it's tough moments even on Normal, while others are a complete joke on the same setting.

In the end I tend to pick Normal most of the time, much to my disappointment, as games seem to get easier with each generation. You plow through normal way too fast and then never go back because you already know the story etc.

I would like to see more games with an Easy, Normal, Hard and Very Hard (this is the one for experts, not first timers) settings.

I bought Demon's Souls a few days ago. Now that's a wake-up call.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 17:01   Link #26
Kafriel
Senior Guest

If hard difficulty means bosses having 10x the HP and me dealing half as much damage, while the AI is the same, I'll play on an easier level (for example in DMC3 I won't choose heaven or hell, I'll go for hardest or DMD).
If, however, hard means no cheap shots or INSANE weapons at LV20 or tons of money, then I'll go with hard...easiest is a difficulty level that offends me and a few gamers I know, because it won't even let you play the game-you got each step guided, with the game god holding your hand right up to the final boss. Unfortunately that kind of difficulty is getting closer and closer to the old "normal" setting, so hard becomes more normal than it used to be.
I also pick easy modes when there's a new game+ or when there are achievements for beating the game XXX times instead of beating it once in hardest mode.
On the other hand, extreme mode has always been the highlight of the Metal Gear series, making the game as realistic as possible and offering one of the best experiences in the gaming world-people dying when SHOT, a facility lockdown when intruders are spotted (even game over because you're supposed to go stealth), etc.
Same goes for Tenchu.
Old 2009-12-24, 17:16   Link #27
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I always pick Normal difficulty at first, and if I replay it then I pick Hard.

But I've got a couple friends who always pick the hardest difficulty because games have gotten too easy for them, and they want a challenge.
Same here. I am not playing games because I want a challenge, in the first place, but because I want the adventure. Thats why Im always playing on the default difficulty during the first playthrough. If the game has replay value, Im in for a challenge after I beat it on normal, and set the difficulty higher. On the first playthrough, however, I just want the adventure.
Old 2009-12-24, 17:29   Link #28
Kafriel
Senior Guest

But in some games the adventure just isn't there, I mean check out Kingdom Hearts 2, its difficulty is lower than KH1 and even if you start out on hard mode, it's barely noticeable at all (although at least the enemies live long enough to give you the feeling of fighting and not sweeping the floor).
Old 2009-12-24, 17:38   Link #29
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Same here. I am not playing games because I want a challenge, in the first place, but because I want the adventure. Thats why Im always playing on the default difficulty during the first playthrough. If the game has replay value, Im in for a challenge after I beat it on normal, and set the difficulty higher. On the first playthrough, however, I just want the adventure.
However the whole point of an adventure is to give a sense of accoplishment at the end, IMO there should be some measurable difficulty that comes in completing the adventure. I like to have a challenge when I play a campaign, unless I hate the story and just want to see the end as quick as possible, especially in RPGs like Star Ocean: The Last Hope I avoid the enemies and go for completing the story.

In a game like Modern Warfare 2, Gears of War 2, Halo 3 basically most shooters, the fun is in the adventure also no adventure is fun without a challenge, when I put it on the hardest mode I expect to have my abilities challenged

Like on Modern Warfare 2 it said on Veteran "You will not survive"

My reaction so far: "Bitch plz...Gears of War 2 insane is much harder"

Or Mass Effect, 2nd playthrough enemies give me little to no trouble.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-24, 17:57   Link #30
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Well, how much the sense of adventure is dependent on challenge, varies from game to game. I guess in games like DMC challenge is more important than in BioShock for example. I could play BioShock for hours without even fighting once and still be stunned by the breathtaking atmosphere.
However, you may have a point there. Devil May Cry 1-4 wasnt quite as satisfying as other games, although it probably could have been if I just raised the difficulty. But now Im not motivated enough for a second playthrough.
I guess Ill start my next Hackn Slay Action-Adventure at a higher difficulty setting, and thats probably going to be Ninja Gaiden Sigma.
Old 2009-12-24, 19:03   Link #31
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*shrug* It is. Gaming companies just need to remember this. Sure, you'll have a fw random whiners complaining "I can't beat the game on hard mode!" but to those you can simply say "Yeah, that's why they call it hard mode."
Like I said "If only it was so easy-__-" we could all say this and that but would it really matter cause it would never take, would it now.
But even if its called hard mode and should be hard, it still needs to be accessible to all that play.
Cause when I say this everyone and I mean everyone, wouldn't like a game that they bought if there was a game mode that they just couldn't play, no matter what anyone says, they would complain about it.
Old 2009-12-24, 19:29   Link #32
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Like I said "If only it was so easy-__-" we could all say this and that but would it really matter cause it would never take, would it now.
But even if its called hard mode and should be hard, it still needs to be accessible to all that play.
Cause when I say this everyone and I mean everyone, wouldn't like a game that they bought if there was a game mode that they just couldn't play, no matter what anyone says, they would complain about it.
I thought that is why they had Easy, Normal, Hard and GTFO

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 09:57   Link #33
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
There's way too many types of gamers to satisfy in one game, even for the same type of game...for example, you can't compare the Yu-gi-oh Tag tourney 1 to 2, because in 2 the AI was so strong that actually finishing the game was too difficult (ideal counters, forbidden cards for everyone, etc.).
To make it more clear, in DMC3 there are people who can SS every mission on any difficulty by choosing Royal Guard and deflecting everything or using the just frames of side roll (0.3 seconds or so?) to avoid an otherwise inevitable attack. To THOSE people, the game is not really that hard, but to everyone else it's plain unbeatable...at least SSing every mission:P

Last edited by Kafriel; 2009-12-25 at 10:57.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 10:40   Link #34
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
True, but at least hard mode being too hard to beat for the regular gamer would be explainable.

Hard mode being steamrollable by everyone isn't.

I mean, I'm not even a hardcore gamer. Heck, I never even touch the hard modes most of the time. Yet, this concept of hard mode being hard makes sense to me.