AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Darker Than Black

View Poll Results: Darker Than Black - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 29 14.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 20.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 18.14%
7 out of 10 : Good 38 18.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 5.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 11 5.39%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.96%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 3.92%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 24 11.76%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-12-30, 19:55   Link #321
Hobbit
. . .
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazil
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Hei (prince) went to zero. Hobo Hei was the lowest he could go. He had no respect for other's life or himself. Then thru the love of Suou (princess), he got back.
Sorry, but it's not Snow White. Hei cares for Suou in a fraternal way. He recognizes himself in her, since Suou was searchng for her brother (As Hei was searching for Bai in S1, hence the two of them are "incomplete").
Although not in the same level, we can see this same pattern of Hei's behavior when he was with Havoc.
You're putting too much effort in a Hei X Suou pairing. It will never happen. And I'm not saying it because of the gap in their ages (it's just a plus), but because throughout all the season the ultimate goal of Hei was find Yin and kill her.

And, instead go to the new Earth with his new found love, he stay in old Earth to slay... Yin?
He don't lost Suou. He was in peace with the fact that she was going to live a peaceful life with her family (Hei's motivation in S1). There's no doubt that he was attached to Suou, but what he felt for Yin (be it love or hate) was more strong.
And probably he wasn't thinking in come back alive, so it was through great effort that Suou could make him promise come back to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well, if he told the truth in a final sort of way, then some people wouldn't buy the series, like Yin fans. So he gave Yin fans a bone in the OVA.
Yin fans...? It's somewhat funny, coming from a Princess Suou fan. Of course we all have or favorite characters, and it's normal grew attached to them. But you are overdoing it because, in the way you're putting your opinions, seens that Yin was just there for her fans. She was "just" Hei's ultimate goal that drives him troughout this season, the concern of section 3 and the "mother" of the Destroyer of the world.

Regarding Yin, we really can't be sure if she is alive or not. Maybe Hei really fried her. It would be a nice final after all. The scene where he was in front of Yin's body and became aware that she tried her best to keep Izanami asleep and that it was him who woke it up was priceless. But her death would be meaningless because after all the brat was born.
And if we look to it in a economic way, Yin is a great character for DTB merchandise, and I don't think that Japan's economy is living a great boom. Bones is not crazy to shut down this show. Always have room for a sequel or a remake. We can see it with Bone's FMA: Brotherhood.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
This is especially so considering the lack of development given to characters such as Shion (She has been chasing her this all season).
For a character that spent 2 years of his life planning to create a new world, and in the end abdicates his own life, the lack of developmentit was creep. And they somewhat made Suou character shallow, since from a character that was longing to meet her brother in the end was willing to "solver her problem" and come back to Hei. they tried to make an amend things with the red origami in the shape of a red star in the end.
__________________
The long silence of the darkness and nothingness. Aside from that an empty world
arrived
.
Hobbit is offline  
Old 2009-12-30, 20:18   Link #322
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 33
Darker Than Black - Ryuusei no Gemini. Final Thoughts

Alright, finally, I've managed to conclude the very last episode.

Lots and lots of unanswered questions, that I won't ask because I can count upon you guys and the many fans of the Darker than Black series out there who can provide better theories that I can conceive of.

Spoiler for Shion's Present:


Spoiler for The Twin's Doll cryptic message:


Spoiler for The new Syndicate:


Spoiler for Reaping Rewards:


This has been the third title I finished for the Fall 2009 season.
Guido is online now  
Old 2009-12-30, 23:14   Link #323
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
Yin fans...? It's somewhat funny, coming from a Princess Suou fan. Of course we all have or favorite characters, and it's normal grew attached to them. But you are overdoing it because, in the way you're putting your opinions, seens that Yin was just there for her fans. She was "just" Hei's ultimate goal that drives him troughout this season, the concern of section 3 and the "mother" of the Destroyer of the world.
So sue me. The Princess and the Frog is in theaters here. Beauty and the Beast will be in theaters next year. It's topical to use a "princess example".

The guy not saying "Hei fried her. She's dead. Get over it." is what I'm talking about. He doesn't want to anger fans. They create a ruckus and not buy those expensive BDs. So he leaves it up to the viewer to take the most acceptible/painless route if they didn't get what was intended. At the end of the day, the title has to sell.

Quote:
Regarding Yin, we really can't be sure if she is alive or not. Maybe Hei really fried her. It would be a nice final after all. The scene where he was in front of Yin's body and became aware that she tried her best to keep Izanami asleep and that it was him who woke it up was priceless. But her death would be meaningless because after all the brat was born.
I look at it this way. Izanami dies anyway in the myth so when Yin "gives birth" to the kid she could have died like her counterpart in a very painful way. She's already in a coma. Without food or water, she dies in 14 days anyways. If Hei grants her the last wish, she dies. Either way she's toast.

Plus, the way that he's carrying her doesn't support her airway at all....
Quote:
And if we look to it in a economic way, Yin is a great character for DTB merchandise, and I don't think that Japan's economy is living a great boom. Bones is not crazy to shut down this show. Always have room for a sequel or a remake. We can see it with Bone's FMA: Brotherhood.
Hmm.. really. She's not moe enough to sell much stuff plus she's too old imo. Yin also didn't have much screen time in season 2. Suou prob beats her in that character goods/moe department as she is also the poster girl for the season 2. She even got to wear 2 different types of school uniforms.
__________________

Last edited by orion; 2009-12-30 at 23:37.
orion is offline  
Old 2009-12-31, 00:15   Link #324
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Let's just hope the OVAs answer some of our questions.
physics223 is offline  
Old 2009-12-31, 02:57   Link #325
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Spoiler for The Twin's Doll cryptic message:
Rather than reposting why I disagree with that translation once again, I'd like to point out that the summary in the link posted by Kaoru Chujo here (some of which she translated here) says absolutely nothing about a new gate. Would have thought it'd be an important thing, non?

(To Kaoru Chujo, thank you m(_ _ )m for posting and translating the info and interview though. The threads on 2ch move faster than I'd have time to check, so if you happen to come across anything else you'd like to share...)
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes


karice67 is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 15:43   Link #326
Edgewalker
Nani ?
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Emerald Forest ( yes its a real place. )
c o n g r a t u l a t i o n s
s u o !
__________________
Edgewalker is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 20:21   Link #327
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
c o n g r a t u l a t i o n s
s u o !
Ahahahahaha!

I mean no disrespect to Darker than Black, but its endings' similarities to Evangelion are too close for comfort.

Congratulations, Hei!
physics223 is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 22:05   Link #328
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Hei didn't merge with the New Earth collective so he got the EoE ending.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 22:11   Link #329
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Well. for various reasons I didn't get to see the conclusion until today. About the only thing more bizarre than the ep itself was the tone of some of the posts here. I didn't read all 17 pages by any means, but clearly this sowed some major confusion. Suou/July ending? I didn't see that at all. Yin - alive or dead? The mysterious shounen at the end with killing powers?

What I did see was an ending that was way, way too close to End of Evangelion for comfort. I think we really saw a case of a series that should have been much longer compressed into 12 episodes, and as a result, an ending that was forced to rely on numerous deux ex machina to try and cover too many loose ends in too little time. On balance I loved this show and I know endings are hard, but I can't help but feel it a bit of an anti-climax. I know we have OVAs coming but it really feels like a third season is needed, too.
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 23:11   Link #330
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Happy New Year everyone. Just finished the series with my spare time last night, so now i'm here

I found orion's theory quite convinced (good job there's spotting all of them out). But just want to add some thing: the ending is supported to be not clear so Bones have more space to plot our next season

- Suou will likely to meet Hei again, or they could just skip her completely for the next season (if the lack of Suou backfired, they will have her paying homage by the end of S3 and promises to be back in more important role in S4)
- Yin likely was dead (it's too much of a stereotype in that screen for her not to) but again they can pull it off and have her alive as Hei somehow "rearranged her molecules"
- Hei could disappear forever and have us a new main protagonist (Hazuki, Misaki, Suou), or share that role with one of them (as S2), or return as the main protagonist (as S1)
- The new child could be the world-destroyer (that's why they need to make that Ark), or simply is not yet evolved to that stage yet (and our main protagonist will have job to do next season)
- the new Gate may indicate the doom of the world, or a new hope for dolls+contractors+ human

In short, Bones can pull off any excuses if they arrange the ending like this...
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline  
Old 2010-01-02, 05:18   Link #331
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post

In short, Bones can pull off any excuses if they arrange the ending like this...
That's true. They have 2 worlds now that they can do series for instead of one if they choose to go back to this title. They did build up Kagutsuchi more in the ending. I prefer to see Suou develop into the amazing person that Madam Oreille spoke of.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2010-01-02, 15:07   Link #332
Battler-kun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
When are the four OVA episodes coming out?

I want to forget the 12 episodes as fast as possible.
Battler-kun is offline  
Old 2010-01-02, 17:59   Link #333
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Well finally put that dawg to rest...Aaaaaah...Just a very confusing show, not much of a linear focus at all if any...Sporadic usage of tones, themes, character drive (Although Season 1 and the goofy detective subplot might have been worse)...i guess after watching and collectively now digesting both seasons as a whole, i'd have to say this is one of the more dissapointing series I have seen (Based on expectations I'd say even more)...I leave this series not really upset, yet not really happy or inspired by much of what i saw, and not much longing to see anything more...I'm a bit apathetic if not pretty indifferent about it all...

After I failed to see that Yoko Kanno and her brilliant jazz motifs weren't apart of this I had already lost a little zest considering I was a bit dissapointed by the first series...But I gave this a chance because while S1 was a pure "slice of life" imitating a psycho-thriller DtB has always had pretty high production values and it's visually crisp and color-soaked which I like (Season 1 was better though in overall production)...I'm not some 100% action person that can't go without it, but DtB is one of those very few frustrating shows that can sometimes be utterly excellent with action sequences but like the first season the scenes are so quick and so sparse you're better off looking for a twenty-dollar bill in the sofa cushions than expecting a full episode devoted to any of it...

My favorite character by far was July...He was just so laid back and cookie//bread//beef roll-depended it was comical at times... July, like me, just watched this $hit and didn't do much at all because who knows what's going on in this damn anime?^^ The psychobabble and strangely Evangelian ending only supports the disconnected focus I think this show somewhat failed upon expressing to the audience...

I did give this ep a decent score of 7 since I was entertained by some of the animation, and by no means did i feel like the ep itself just totally sucked, but again I leave this series not understanding much of what it was trying to achieve and ultimately (unfortunately) not engaged enuff to figure it out any further..Just a really weird show overall that i think in the end didn't really know how it wanted to express itself...

P.S. -
Hei without his mask kinda bugged me too as that was one superficial part of his skitso personality that i liked, oh well...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline  
Old 2010-01-02, 20:04   Link #334
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Wow, I lose Net connection for a day, and look what happens.

Reading through the posts, I wonder why some people haven't jumped on the way Oreille described the new Earth: as an Ark. You know, the type where you put things in case things go to Hell in a handbasket?

Oh, and it looks like many people are still not reading the explanations that the few of us who didn't give a kneejerk 'OMG THIS SUXXORS!' reaction gave, or tried to give, with what little info we had.


Reference to the Original Myth:

Izanami-no-Mikoto and Izanagi-no-Mikoto, the twin deities and spouses, had one final child, Kagu-Tsuchi, a deity of fire whose flame killed his mother Izanami when he was born, thus introducing Death to the world. The parallel in Darker than Black ends at this point of the myth, as what comes afterwards is Izanagi going mad with grief and killing Kagu-Tsuchi.

Another being is supposed to have come into existence with him, Mizuhame, a deity of water and Kagu-Tsuchi's opposite, whose role was to pacify the fiery deity.


What is Clear:
- Another Earth was created by Shion though his powers, which is populated by copies of people from the original Earth. The memories of the copies were supplied via the ME network. The world is called an Ark by Oreille. The original meteor we saw at the start of the season is consumed to make the memories permanent for the copies.
- Suou and July no longer exist in the original Earth, and live new lives in New Earth, though they don't seem to have any lingering memories. Observant watchers will notice Mai from the first season (the girl contractor who went Moratorium for a while before gaining control of her fire powers) in Suou's class.
- The US invades Japan and takes control of the area around Hell's Gate.
- Misaki and her boss, Oreille and her Doll twins, and Mao form a new Syndicate to resist the US occupation.
- A child awakens inside Heaven's Gate (whom we just call at this point Kagutsuchi, after the myth of Izanagi and Izanami), with an ominous power. It seems like the mythical Kagu-Tsuchi, his birth heralds Death for the world.
- A new gate opens somewhere else.
- Hei is alive, as BK-201's star is shining brightly.
- Genma is killed by Hazuki.
- Though alluded to in Episode 25 of the first season, here we get confirmation that the Gate hastens Doll evolution (as in the case of July and Oreille's twins).


What is Implied:
- The US was behind the original Syndicate the whole time.
- August 7 is alive, and reveals that MI6 is going along with the USA's invasion of Japan. Then again, given the location in the middle of the Gate, it might just be July's inner voice telling him the opposite of what he wanted -- to find Suou.

What is Unclear:
- Yin's fate. In the original myth, Izanami dies giving birth to Kagu-Tsuchi. There's equal evidence at this point for Hei taking the Third Option, or Hei simply frying her.
- The location of the new Gate.
I wrote my last post before I read the thread as it's usually my style so that others' comments don't effect my first take, but after reading I thought there were some interesting reactions both negatively and positive...SO sorry for the double post if that occurs...

As for this post I've quoted, I think you give a very good explanation and fact list here to support your point of view but the HUGE, elephant in the room problem with everything you've just listed is that you are ignoring something, the same something the show vehemently ignores, and that's presentation...

Anyone with good knowledge on a subject (Such as your knowledge of the Japanese myth many aren't familiar with) can give story elements after the fact that appear to make sense in hindsight, but these explanations alone can't always equalize how these said story elements are presented and woven into the plot at the time (Light Yin appearing outta the a$$ for instance)...

Had the show given proper power-points the way you just have maybe this would have been a much more gratifying ride, but when you present a story where you have blatantly shown no linear ability to tell the story, no definite character focus whether it be main or otherwise, and a certain level of randomness that permeates both seasons of this show if I'm being honest, it's gonna be hard to not be frustrated...

I mean the stuff inwhich you have provided is awesome, but to somehow equate peoples' dissapointment of this season with the lack of not understanding your fine tooth and comb fact list is a mistake in my opinion...Many who are confused or didn't particularly feel gratified are mainly pi$$ed off by how it's all presented...There is no natural feeling of understanding or closure...People shouldn't have to scour 17 pages @ animesuki to figure out AB&C type stuff...

So like I said your fact list//interpretation seems up to par and had it been a pamphlet in the seat pocket of an airline chair I'm sure it would have been digested far better, but in an anime where atmosphere, character focus and other tonal elements are of importance, it's not such a comfortable pillow to just rest your head on the after-story fact-list...A story (especially an animated one) is a combination of varying elements and if I didn't enjoy how the story elements are presented than existentially that's gonna effect how I decipher the facts if i even care enuff about them to insist...

IIRC You mention earlier that Parnoia Agent and Serial Experiments Lain (2 of my alltime favs) are way more confusing than DtB...How does that exonerate DtB? Those shows were overtly eccentric and the bizarre nature of their themes were clearly presented as such...DtB in-contrast, starts off in S1 as a Psycho-thriller genre type, turns into a goofball detective story, transforms into a slice of life anime, then sprinkles a little Ergo Proxy at the end...Then S2 which promises to be less episodic has no identity for who it's main character is, is hurriedly paced around secondary characters inwhich certain aspects of them from season 1 aren't explained much and dwindles into this EVA-like psycobabble of confusing events like this is what the show has clearly always been about...

To me it's just not as simple as giving a cheat sheet or fact list to me after I took the test and then telling me that it really wasn't that hard...Ofcourse it's easier to understand once I've handed in the exam, it's just that DtB is a pretty crappy teacher at times and had this story been a college course half the class would have failed and we wouldn't even had known why (Well unless we had that great cheat-sheet of yours)...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline  
Old 2010-01-02, 20:47   Link #335
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post

IIRC You mention earlier that Parnoia Agent and Serial Experiments Lain (2 of my alltime favs) are way more confusing than DtB...How does that exonerate DtB? Those shows were overtly eccentric and the bizarre nature of their themes were clearly presented as such...DtB in-contrast, starts off in S1 as a Psycho-thriller genre type, turns into a goofball detective story, transforms into a slice of life anime, then sprinkles a little Ergo Proxy at the end...Then S2 which promises to be less episodic has no identity for who it's main character is, is hurriedly paced around secondary characters inwhich certain aspects of them from season 1 aren't explained much and dwindles into this EVA-like psycobabble of confusing events like this is what the show has clearly always been about...

To me it's just not as simple as giving a cheat sheet or fact list to me after I took the test and then telling me that it really wasn't that hard...Ofcourse it's easier to understand once I've handed in the exam, it's just that DtB is a pretty crappy teacher at times and had this story been a college course half the class would have failed and we wouldn't even had known why (Well unless we had that great cheat-sheet of yours)...
You mentioned Ergo Proxy. DtB 2 was easier for me to understand than EP. I needed the cheat sheet for that one. And I still love it.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2010-01-02, 21:41   Link #336
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
^It's funny because I thought DtB might make up for Ergo Proxy by being what it appeared to be...Based on the pre-production (and the first 2 eps of S1) I thought this show would have more in common with something like GITSSAC than Ergo Proxy...While I do understand the case for loving EProxy, it dissapointed me because I was misled by the pre-production having no clue it would have more in common with something like The Big O rather than a GITSSAC...

I really was hardcore on Ergo Proxy before it came out and had built so much mental expectations that I was a bit stunned that it wound up being a fantasy-dystopian mindrape show rather than the epic Psychological Action Adventure it was promoted to be...

But unlike DtB, Proxy atleast soldout to it's theme (love it or hate it) and didn't look back...DtB seems to tease you endlessly on what it could be as an action adventure, or psychological cop-thriller, or complex love story only to be a mishmash of all of these things, not doing any of them exceptionally...But yeah, that said DtB isn't even in Proxy's special class of mind-fudgery^^...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline  
Old 2010-01-03, 05:36   Link #337
Suimancer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
The ending for Darker than Black: Ryūsei no Gemini was very satisfying. Although very sad, the conclusion given to Suou’s narrative was solid and fitted the overall plot of season 2.

I loved the role of Suou's pendant as it ties in nicely with the plot of the show. I found it irritating that I was not able to think of any theories on its purpose considering the stark similarities between Suou and s1’s Shinoda Chiaki.

Bones execution of the climax featuring the separation of Suou and Hei (music, animation, VAs and script) was well done. It greatly evoked my emotions towards Suou and Hei thus giving justice to the empathy I gave them during the run of the show.

The scene truly served as the peak and culmination of the characterizations of Suou, Hei and the mutual growth of their relationship amid their internal and external conflicts. The dialogue and body language hold so much emotion being the moment where the two were most intimate. Suou’s lines contained subtexts of fear and sadness brought by a conditioned response due to her repeated experiences of reunion leading to separation and probably doubt brought by her uncertainty of Hei’s feelings, not necessarily “love-love” but whether the importance she has for Hei was mutual between them; all summarized when Suou said “You’re’ lying”. It’s ironical that Suou’s otherwise happiest moment resulted in her simultaneously feeling the saddest . The meaningful echo with the dialogue in the ova trailer alluding the emotions and imminent separation between Hei and his loved ones was very nicely done. I’ll give extra points to Hei for really expressing to Suou that he was sincere and acknowledged to Suou that her emotions were not entirely one sided.

It was hinted throughout the last three episodes, especially in the end that Hei knew about Shion’s plan. Whether or not he knows the details, he is certain of their separation. That gives more light behind Hei’s emotions and interactions during Suou’s “confession” and Mao’s “love” comment during ep 10 and the Pelmeni cooking scene in ep 11 ( I knew it that there was more meaning behind Hei choosing a Russian dish for breakfast than just cheering up Suou ) .

Some Yin fans, including me, might have felt that the conclusion between Hei and Yin (taking into consideration the flow of the story and the close proximity of their reunion with Hei’s separation with Suou in the plot, I’m more inclined with the “Hei letting her go” interpretation) was not given justice given how they were all “love-love” with one another in the OVA trailer. But further reflection makes their ending just right with a bittersweet feel to it. I would assume that the OVAs would really show us their “love-love” and their heart breaking separation afterwards. Considering how Hei’s separation with Suou could be seen as a cushion for his parting with Yin. One of the roles of s2 was to make Hei and Yin's “final moment” together end in good terms. Comparing the changes and situation that Bai and Yin undergone then contrasting their separation with Hei really drives this point.

Not meant to be a downer, Hei carrying Yin and Suou’s monologue makes for a bittersweet conclusion for the character driven plot of Darker than Black: Ryūsei no Gemini.

As for the ending regarding the “events” of the story, It didn’t felt rushed despite a fair number of details said in one episode. True, we were given a sizable amount of information but not entirely impossible to digest, if one chooses to do so.

I really liked the “too” open-ended nature of the epilogue. It really gives a great sense of continuity and a bit of realism to the story. The second season ended in true DtB fasion. A "definite happy ending" cannot not be possible because a season’s worth of our heroes’ adventuring cannot possibly solve the root causes of the conflict that have forever plaque the world of DtB such as greed, discrimination, violence and corruption- the dark side of human nature. (Well, maybe if you give people hugs and turn them to tang )

Given the vagueness ending, I cannot help but sometimes be frustrated that despite my interpretation, I cannot “really” be certain of what actually happened. As such, this is the beauty of vague endings. It compels one to think. Not everything is expected to be spoon-fed to us. If something does not make sense, one must do something about it, whether it needs a rewatch of a particular episode or the whole series itself to find the answer/s. But I would like to point out that this should not be seen as a chore but an enjoyable experience on its own. It's safe to say that director intended the show to be fully enjoyed this way.

Also, interpreting does not necessarily need to be a lone endeavour. The advent of the internet easily facilitates a discourse (hopefully a peaceful one) regarding different interpretations that could complement and/or supplement our own interpretation of such endings. These interpretations are by no means baseless. I’m glad that animesuki among other internet communities (2ch,4ch,blogs,etc) took time in making sense of things. As seen in the interpretations of others, the show had visual, verbal and thematic hints littered all over. As mentioned before, the ending also reminds me of Eva, especially how DtB is quite similar in terms of plot focus and vague endings. DtB’s endings could have well been shout outs to Eva.

No offence guys, I just feel sad and a little irritated when some people say that the show sucked because the ending didn’t make sense. Then again, I understand their point since such vague endings could also be seen as an attempt by the director in trolling us and/or his inability to make sense of his own work rather than a sincere attempt to make us think. Choosing between the two all boils down in whether you trust that Bones and Tensai Okamura, given that they themselves have constraints and limitations, did their job to the fullest. At least try to makes sense of the ending before bashing a show. If it still sucked, that’s perfectly reasonable. Just bash away , at least you tried made sense of it.

I enjoyed and recognized the effort of Bones in making the show. To those who viewed the show looking for “a lot” of action or a “mystery solving” thriller/arc, I will not be surprised that the show would suck big time. This is because both seasons, Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha and Darker than Black: Ryūsei no Gemini were made with a particular focus, as such, one should view them using an appropriate lens. Amid the various organizations, fight scenes, the gates, technical jargon …etc, a closer look on the both shows reveal that Tensai Okamura always meant Dtb to be viewed as a drama. Darker than Black: Ryūsei no Gemini stayed true to this. The emphasis of the show is not on the mystery behind the gates but the mystery behind human nature seen through the thought processes, emotions, motivations and actions done by our lead characters in context of the DtB universe.

If Tensai Okamura would really end DtB, I would very disappointed. Not because of the dangling story or unanswered questions but because this would be the last I would see of DtB.

Its good to see that despite the prevalence of moe blabbery, shows like darker than black still hold a sizable niche in the anime viewing community.
Suimancer is offline  
Old 2010-01-03, 12:11   Link #338
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cold Winter Place
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Wow,I'm surprised I was satisfied with the ending.I seriously wondered how they were going to pull it off.I expected to be dissatisfied but strangely I am pleased,of course its not perfect.

Then again,I never really expected them to wrap everything up anyways since I knew of the upcoming OVA,and its not just about Yin anymore.And the first series did not give me the complete sense of closure either so I guess its not like new territory for Dtb for me.

Than again,who knows where they'll take this series in the future if they chose to do it.
__________________
SonicSP is offline  
Old 2010-01-03, 13:29   Link #339
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Wow,I'm surprised I was satisfied with the ending.I seriously wondered how they were going to pull it off.I expected to be dissatisfied but strangely I am pleased,of course its not perfect.

Then again,I never really expected them to wrap everything up anyways since I knew of the upcoming OVA,and its not just about Yin anymore.And the first series did not give me the complete sense of closure either so I guess its not like new territory for Dtb for me.

Than again,who knows where they'll take this series in the future if they chose to do it.
Yeah its true, after watch with subs and clear mind i'm found the ending is very wrap almost everything nicely, and who thought anyways the flying car is do really exist and not just a easter egg

For me this season is nice step for DtB and not ruin its, with this the series is more unpredictable if there a sequel, so we can't make a predict about "this is will be drama alike HEROES with the dark organization" or something like that if this series still loved by BONES
fertygo is offline  
Old 2010-01-03, 22:27   Link #340
Mithinco
Laughing Anime
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I'm not satisfied...
__________________
Mithinco is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.