AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2006-09-29, 15:46   Link #1
Bloodthirst

Shamo

This is a really good series anybody read it.
Bloodthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 16:27   Link #2
IMSabbel

Yeah, i did.
It was really good the first 5 volumes or so.

then it went mediocre

And about at volume 14-15 it started to get real bad.

the turning points as spoiler:

Spoiler:
IMSabbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 01:23   Link #3
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

I find this manga really disturbing... Not only because of the execesive violence but also because of the fucked up mind of the protagonist and the "world" in wich this manga takes place in.

First we have a teenager that kills his parents simply because they were preassuring him too much, goes to jail for couple years, during wich he is raped and beaten up and for the sake of staying alive he learns martial arts. At this point one would think that he would come out to be a new person.... well he does come out new but the wrong way. So starts his days of streetfight, prostitution, raping, etc... and as an excuse to all he does he conforts himself with "if not i'll get killed". So he ends up taking one guys after another until he gets himself into a huge fighting competition and just because the opponent didnt want to fight with him he goes and rapes the girlfriend -.- And all that is just like the first arc, with the rest being even more crazy.

I would only recommend this manga to people with a strong stomach.... Compared to Shamo, Elfen Lied + Gantz + (think up the most gore, fucked up, bizarre manga) are nothing .
Old 2009-03-15, 02:52   Link #4
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
I find this manga really disturbing... Not only because of the execesive violence but also because of the fucked up mind of the protagonist and the "world" in wich this manga takes place in.

First we have a teenager that kills his parents simply because they were preassuring him too much, goes to jail for couple years, during wich he is raped and beaten up and for the sake of staying alive he learns martial arts. At this point one would think that he would come out to be a new person.... well he does come out new but the wrong way. So starts his days of streetfight, prostitution, raping, etc... and as an excuse to all he does he conforts himself with "if not i'll get killed". So he ends up taking one guys after another until he gets himself into a huge fighting competition and just because the opponent didnt want to fight with him he goes and rapes the girlfriend -.- And all that is just like the first arc, with the rest being even more crazy.

I would only recommend this manga to people with a strong stomach.... Compared to Shamo, Elfen Lied + Gantz + (think up the most gore, fucked up, bizarre manga) are nothing .
I....wouldn't say it's THAT bad, I definetly wouldn't comapre it to somethin glike gantz. It's just got a good amount of violence. Anyways, I absolutely loved the series for the first 15 or so volumes, but I'm not too excited about the latest "arc". I jst wanna see how Toma fights.
Old 2009-03-18, 02:19   Link #5
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Toma will have absorbd all the others fight knowledge as well as watched videos of other styles. he should at a very high level now.
Old 2009-03-18, 10:33   Link #6
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

I didnt go one reading after chapter 25x... and i would like to know if Toma turns into the "good" guy that takes as his mision to vanquish the "evil" Ryo or simply wants to follow him around..
Old 2009-12-01, 18:25   Link #7
alkoholio

Sorry for reviving this thread, but it really bothers me how weak Ryo became after his training with the old man in china. So does anyone know about why he doesn't use the chi attack for example or the other powerful techniques which he should have learend in the mountains.

I'm at volume 22 right now but it just seems that Ryo is even weaker than before he fought Sugawara and it's really frustrating, reading the manga while the main protagonist develops back even though the knowledge should be there. I just can't see how "low level" opponents like the ones in the One Night Tournament or some random banryukai dudes could give him so much trouble.
alkoholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 18:36   Link #8
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Send a message via Skype™ to Poetic Justice
Like he says, fighting low level opponents has led to his skills getting rusted. I mean he hasn't had a difficult fight or a fight on the same level as him for a long time.
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 19:22   Link #9
alkoholio

Yeah that might be right, but he doesn't even show any of the moves he mastered, it just seems as if they never existed to begin with. I understand that it won't make you stronger constantly fighting low class opponents but to degenerate to that degree seems just strange. I don't even want some all ass kicking protagonist without weaknesses, but to get ass whooping after another from guys he could have beaten 10 volumes before is just not too appealing.
Old 2009-12-01, 19:38   Link #10
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Fair enough but you have to remember that Shamo does not follow the typical shounen formula of there being stronger opponents appearing and the protagonist's strength increasing proportional to their strengths.

Another thing which the manga doesn't explain but which i think is apparent in Shamo's appearance is the fact that he has also suffering mentally after the mountain arc which is also responsible for his regression.
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-01, 19:56   Link #11
alkoholio

That is what I really like about the manga, that it's not the typical power up and getting unbelievable strong scenario. It just felt strange to me how weak he became and especially looking for new ways to regain his strength instead of remembering what he has already learned. If he could mix up his karate with the kung fu or whatever he practiced that should really make him a fighting machine, considering the strength of the black monkey.
Old 2011-08-09, 12:45   Link #12
marvelB

Pardon me for bumping this thread, but.....

Anyway, I rather enjoy this series. Yeah, it's pretty gritty and messed up, but I actually like that the main character is a huge douchebag. And yeah, I also found it kinda strange at first that Ryo seemed "weaker" after his training in China, but in the end, I think it also kind of makes sense that his abilities were degrading since he was never really an honorable/conventional sort of fighter, anyway (for cripessakes, we're even talking about a dude who regularly whores himself out to old, fat chicks!).

But anyways, the main point of this post: [i]THE SERIES IS FINALLY OUT OF HIATUS![/b] This is especially great news since I had nearly lost hope of the series continuing at all (I mean, hasn't it been like 4-5 years since the last chapter's release?). I wonder if Ryo's match with Toma will end up being his last match ever, considering his recent wound....?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 18:08   Link #13
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Reminds of that Hong Kong movie that was made though based on this according to movie posters out there.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 02:23   Link #14
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelb View Post
pardon me for bumping this thread, but.....

But anyways, the main point of this post: [i]the series is finally out of hiatus![/b] :d this is especially great news since i had nearly lost hope of the series continuing at all (i mean, hasn't it been like 4-5 years since the last chapter's release?). I wonder if ryo's match with toma will end up being his last match ever, considering his recent wound....?
Out of hiatus???? Fantastic.
Old 2011-08-16, 10:51   Link #15
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Yeah, saw there are new chapters coming out, very nice. It's criminal that this thread only has 13 posts. I always thought this was at least a somewhat popular series.
Old 2013-06-28, 15:53   Link #16
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Spoiler for Volume 28: