AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-05, 12:20   Link #181
Haak
F**k my life...

I seriously loled, when Kuroko started narrating. And it's like she's the same character which is hilarious. And a grown up Taiga is just too awesome. But seriously those are the only two things i liked about this episode and they're only because of other anime I've watched. Everything else was typically shite.
I probably would've appreciated the Cinderella allusion had it not been turned into something so God Damn messed up.

Anyway, how the hell did Average Anime Guy No. 9475439 not have his back broken when he took that hit for Tall Taiga?

Last edited by Haak; 2010-07-05 at 15:30.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 22:38   Link #182
mangatron

Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
phone post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Anyway, how the hell did Average Anime Guy No. 9475439 not have his back broken when he took that hit for Tall Taiga?
It's the, uh,... law of the lead male. Do not exit stage right in the very first episode

Though it would have been better to see him get medical attention or something. Getting hit by a pipey pole isn't fun.

I <3 Pantsu
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!
*mangatron's Twintail Celebration begins with Miss Monday
from Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z
!
*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 01:38   Link #183
Isekaijin

I need help guys.

I watched episode 1 but I couldn't get Kuroko out of my head. EACH FREAKIN' SECOND I was expecting her to say Onee-sama! or something like that.

That voice is way too much distracting. Need help.
Isekaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 04:04   Link #184
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Hmmm...

-Shizuka Itou as main female lead (or one of them anyways)
-no osananajimi to worry about
-hi-effing-larious narrator
-fairy tales, but totally subverted
-superb production values

Yeah, so far, my favourite show of the season. Really scratch at my head why some people hate it, to be honest.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 04:28   Link #185
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Hmmm...

Yeah, so far, my favourite show of the season. Really scratch at my head why some people hate it, to be honest.
How can you not love Kuroko narrating a Fractured Fairy Tales version of your typical "quirky overpowered student council organization"-type series?

Although this season is heavy on decent comedy, so I guess people are getting picky. You've got this, sitting squarely between Mitsudomoe and Occult Academy on the "having an actual plot" scale, as probably the three best right now. Still haven't seen Legend of the Legendary Heroes, but it sounds like a potential winner in the humor department thanks to the main characters. And the hope for fanservice (and/or maybe some more characters) is really the only thing keeping me interested in the somewhat funny but decidedly spare Setokai Y (I guess talky comedies really are better with crack-addled Shinbo direction...or interesting characters...or a plot...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
It's the, uh,... law of the lead male. Do not exit stage right in the very first episode

Though it would have been better to see him get medical attention or something. Getting hit by a pipey pole isn't fun.
21st Law of Anime, otherwise known as the Keitaro Statute. All male leads in comedy series where they could conceivably (by demographics if not actual plot) be considered a "harem lead" are effectively indestructable. A little pain and injury are acceptible (often required) for humor and/or plot device, but last only as long as needed.

Some series may try to explain this away with an in-series reason (ie: "A****gi-kun is a recovering vampire"), but most don't. There's a reason why this applies primarily to comedy...

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2010-07-06 at 04:51.
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 10:59   Link #186
Dahak86
Occasional Member

I can't help but notice that Kuroko being narrator has pretty much splitted this thread in half.. some love her, and some hate her with all their might. It's funny, 'cause the very same thing happened in Kuroshitsuji II thread in regards to Alois. I guess, it can't be helped... Anyway, take it easy guys, at the very least let's just hope kuroko won't be overlapping other characters lines next ep, but that will probably be destined to remain a forlorn hope..
well, as I already said, I'm with the people who like/love her..
In any case, digesting this male-lead (lol, calling him "lead" makes me laugh everytime, dunno why, really ) won't be an easy task... at least for me, it won't.
well, thx god, there are some nice girls on whom I can lay my eyes, thus ignoring tha male-lead, hahaha..
Dahak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 11:08   Link #187
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Hmmm...

Agree with all points.

My only issue with episode one was that sometimes the Narrator and characters talked at the same time. It's a small problem that could easily be fixed in later episodes, I know, but it was annoying nonetheless.

Anyway, I don't want the narrator to be as active in episode 2. Yeah, her lines were funny in episode 1, but having a narrator that involved might grow tiresome after a while.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 11:13   Link #188
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
Anyway, I don't want the narrator to be as active in episode 2. Yeah, her lines were funny in episode 1, but having a narrator that involved might grow tiresome after a while.
It was way more fun for me because she was involved. If I try to imagine it with out narration it just looks like a big pile of random stuff put together.
Old 2010-07-06, 11:16   Link #189
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well it's fine as long as she doesn't end up narrating EVERYTHING. That would just be annoying.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 11:52   Link #190
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
My only issue with episode one was that sometimes the Narrator and characters talked at the same time. It's a small problem that could easily be fixed in later episodes, I know, but it was annoying nonetheless.
Intention & Method
This has come up in a lot of comments, so I re-watched the first half, taking notes on when this occurred. I present the lines that were spoken while the narrator spoke next, then follow with my analysis. Note, though I stopped at the first half, I think most of the talking over occurred in the first half, as those lines were mostly character introductions.

Data (trampled lines)
"Seriously, I'm tired of fighting these punks."
"Really. Who would have known they would try to resist? They need to learn their place."

"We're back."

"It was dangerous! The target tried to resist with a knife! This is the video I took of it."
"Is that so?"

"Well, I kicked his ass."

"Ryouko, it's about time you finished up."

"You were confessed to, Ryouko-san?"
"Um..."

"Hey, why are you getting so fired up?"

"but I just couldn't say it."

"nope."
"How about it, Morino-kun."
Analysis
It seems clear to me that they could all have been ignored, replaced with *mumble*mumble*, or left untranslated. The lines mostly are either inconsequential (e.g. "We're back.") or recap events we have seen ("Well, I kicked his ass."). This leads me to believe the trampled lines were written with the understanding that they might never be heard (or understood) by the viewer.

I suspect this won't happen in the future (at least not as frequently), because, as I said, the bulk of these lines coincided with the introduction of our characters, which is now mostly finished.

I'm not sure that helps anybody, but, since it was a point of contention, I thought it might be good to have the facts at hand.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 13:52   Link #191
Molenir

Quote:
How can you not love Kuroko narrating a Fractured Fairy Tales version of your typical "quirky overpowered student council organization"-type series?

Although this season is heavy on decent comedy, so I guess people are getting picky. You've got this, sitting squarely between Mitsudomoe and Occult Academy on the "having an actual plot" scale, as probably the three best right now. Still haven't seen Legend of the Legendary Heroes, but it sounds like a potential winner in the humor department thanks to the main characters. And the hope for fanservice (and/or maybe some more characters) is really the only thing keeping me interested in the somewhat funny but decidedly spare Setokai Y (I guess talky comedies really are better with crack-addled Shinbo direction...or interesting characters...or a plot...).
Since I didn't care for occult academy much, and probably won't end up finishing it I'll have to disagree. Mitsudomoe looks interesting, though a bit to loli for my taste. I may end up watching that one. This one though, looks like the best of the lot, after Seitokai. I laughed at a lot of things in this episode, Kuroko narrating, Ookami occasionally glaring at the camera. The whole bathing scene. This is one I'm definitely going to watch.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 14:29   Link #192
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Analysis
It seems clear to me that they could all have been ignored, replaced with *mumble*mumble*, or left untranslated. The lines mostly are either inconsequential (e.g. "We're back.") or recap events we have seen ("Well, I kicked his ass."). This leads me to believe the trampled lines were written with the understanding that they might never be heard (or understood) by the viewer.
It seems very clear to me your nitpicking at thin air and that those lines are perfectly fine as they are. If you want a explanation for their existence, its because: repetitions and recaps are part of the fairy tail theme (in narration), as well as a (very common) cheap source of humor. Your conclusions are also based on your own personal bias and nonsense. Nobody writes "hidden messages" for show like this; what are you thinking. There's not even any sort of logical backing for that. I mean say they did, what insignificant purpose would this waste of time serve?

I also fail to see your point with this analysis. Is there suppose to be some common case study for these things nobody has ever heard of? If you intend that post to act as some trump card in your anti-narrator crusade you're disillusion. Nobody is just going to accept this self-referenced analysis.

If you sincerely hate the show, you are under no obligation to watch it. Pretending to like it doesn't make it better.
Old 2010-07-06, 14:35   Link #193
Haak
F**k my life...

Errrr..i think you've misunderstood, felix. He's not hating on the narration. He's saying the subtitles for the speech that was occuring with the other characters whilst the narration was going on, shouldn't have been there and were simply making things more confusing. As far as I can see, he's completely right. What Ookami and the little pink girl were talking about whilst Kuroko was narrating were insignificant and we were clearly not meant to hear. If we were then the producers wouldn't have had Kuroko narrating at the same time. We were supposed to focus on the narration. Therefore, there was no need for the subtitles for speech we weren't supposed to hear. They could've just been subtitled as *mumble-mumble* as he says.
Old 2010-07-06, 14:41   Link #194
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Well its hard to make out what he's saying (exactly). If he's talking of Arai's funny narrating or if he's talking about characters. I assume he's talking about narrating since it makes no sense to me anyone in their right mind would want less quality in the background.
Old 2010-07-06, 14:45   Link #195
Haak
F**k my life...

He's talking about the subtitles and how subtitles were appearing for both the characters and the narration when they were talking at the same time, making things confusing.
Old 2010-07-06, 14:53   Link #196
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
He's talking about the subtitles and how subtitles were appearing for both the characters and the narration when they were talking at the same time, making things confusing.
OHHHHH! Wait, weren't they in different color? *checks episode* (personally prefer top/bottom style)

Well if that's how it is I still disagree with his opinion! (lol ) Making it "mumble mumble" is far worse. For one, we are not stupid, we know they are saying something and not translating it just brings "OMG what did X and Y say at XX:XX." Also, he may not care for casual conversation, but I do. What they say and how they speak is just as much a part of the characterization as some cliche fortune-cookie theory they (might) have at the end.
Old 2010-07-06, 19:57   Link #197
mangatron

Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
I think there's enough subs out there with untranslated lines during multiple convos, so this one should have been corrected with over and under subs.

My beef with the whole situation, though, is hopefully they don't do this(narrating over conversation) during some of the more interesting talk. Sure, I haven't really seen that(multiple important convos at once) done in recent times, but since I don't rely on subs, I'd like for my ears to have it easy for once. (This is very apparent during my translator days, when about 6 or 8 of us took a shot at only 1 episode (GNU-fansubs Otome wa Boku ep 13). Our ears bled on a girl who was overwriting her own lines )

Still though, I'll take it as "who is loudest, is more important"

ps: I didn't care for Angel Beats' multiple convo previews.

I <3 Pantsu
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!
*mangatron's Twintail Celebration begins with Miss Monday
from Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z
!
*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 20:07   Link #198
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
I just realized I don't know what day this show airs, could anyone say which day it airs I think it's Wednesday or Thursday, but I am not positive.
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-07, 02:45   Link #199
Haak
F**k my life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
OHHHHH! Wait, weren't they in different color? *checks episode* (personally prefer top/bottom style)

Well if that's how it is I still disagree with his opinion! (lol ) Making it "mumble mumble" is far worse. For one, we are not stupid, we know they are saying something and not translating it just brings "OMG what did X and Y say at XX:XX." Also, he may not care for casual conversation, but I do. What they say and how they speak is just as much a part of the characterization as some cliche fortune-cookie theory they (might) have at the end.
I guess. I didn't really have any problem with it either. i think they were in different colors, but I can understand if it was confusing for others.
Old 2010-07-07, 02:49   Link #200
Atsuro

The lack of a male protagonist is somewhat of a turn off, but I will give it a watch. This will be my first Light novel based anime too iirc.
Atsuro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen