AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-01, 16:51   Link #101
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
They grew up hearing the tales of Momotaro and Urashima Tarou and the like instead.
And looking over the character list on the Japanese Wiki article, those are going to get airtime too. Ura has two representatives briefly seen in this episode, while Momo has four (well, one major and three lackeys) on the way. Though I mostly associate those folktales with monster-busting time genies, this is neither the time nor place for that. Later, however...
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 16:53   Link #102
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, the extreme spectrum of reaction alone puts this series on my watch list for now.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 17:42   Link #103
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Might be obvious to Americans who grew up hearing these fairy tales, but Japanese people likely did not. They grew up hearing the tales of Momotaro and Urashima Tarou and the like instead.
Yeah, but this is not Boy Blue or Bluebeard, this is Cinderella and Red Riding Hood we're talking about. I think they have underwent so many adaptations and remakes that even Japanese children should at the very least heard of them already. In fact, I think if Cinderella got shot in the head it wouldn't take her more than a month to recover considering her popularity...(cookies to whoever got this reference). She's even the inspiration for the 'Cinderella Story' plot that is very common in all media!

But yeah, it's just a minor nitpick from me. I'm just afraid that they'll later rob me of the fun of discovering the analogy on my own should it become less obvious in future episodes. After all, what's better way to kill off speculations than a direct word from the makers?
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 17:57   Link #104
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
50%+? It was like the first 4 minutes, nowhere near 50%.
50% is exaggerating but it happened more than just the first 4 minutes as well. It happened on quite a few occasions actually and not just in the beginning.

Probably for those who are mostly reading subs it is not as painful as for those who are listening it though.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 18:12   Link #105
Chuumi

That was a pretty decent first episode in my opinion. The narrator was nice and witty, and I liked her voice. Seems like Ryoushi isn't gaining much love, which is very understandable, but I actually liked him. He made me laugh a good deal - the confession was absolutely pathetic, and that's propably why it made me laugh so much. Ryoushi might become annoying if he doesn't go through some serious character development, but he will most likely become my favourite. I have more than once fond myself being drawn towards that unsuccessful type of character . On the other hand I'm not a big fan of tsundere-girls, but Ryouko seems rather likeable to me.

I wouldn't call the episode hilarious, but it certainly had enough funny moments to keep me interested. I'll definitely watch the next episode, and probably the whole season as well.
Old 2010-07-01, 18:31   Link #106
Fawx9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
50% is exaggerating but it happened more than just the first 4 minutes as well. It happened on quite a few occasions actually and not just in the beginning.

Probably for those who are mostly reading subs it is not as painful as for those who are listening it though.
Yes I was exaggerating a bit, but it felt like 50% when I was finished the episode.

I enjoy listening to the characters, if I didn't I'd have the sound turned off. I don't want to watch a show in which the characters compete with the narrator to see who can talk over each other.

A narrator isn't a bad idea, to explain/make jabs at the situation. But at least have it like HnG where they wait for a pause to insert the narration(especially if its just a quick joke).
Fawx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 19:55   Link #107
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Hmmm not a good/bad episode . Can't give a rate yet but

What i liked :

- Adult Taiga , her amazing knuckles O_O
- May'n Song !

What i disliked :

- Narrator , damn Kuroko's voice with her joke aside ...
- The confession's part , the bath's part
- Already Fanservice ..

For the Man lead , hmmm dunno what to think about him yet .. but damn his phobia , it's getting annoying ... + i expect that it'll keep like that on all the show . "Don't Look"

Lol , am i the one who was thinking about "Little Red Riding Hood" for Ringo ? They did it on purpose like the Cinderella's ref

Ow omg the senpai is SM kick !

Well , quite funny at some time but quite boring too .

Give a try for the upcoming ep .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 20:18   Link #108
NaweG
Just some guy

So am I the only person who watched this and had to keep checking to see if this wasn't another Railgun Omake? mean we have two "super skill" girls who go around a special city, one of whom seems to be rather enamored of the other one who is a total Tsundere, and it's produced by JC Staff and the ED/OP shows us the characters running around being friends together, and the voices...

I mean, I really was expecting them to make more of "You think you know your fairy tales? Well just look at what we're doing with them... "

Maybe next episode?
Old 2010-07-01, 21:22   Link #109
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

i didn't know so many people hated kuroko
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 21:50   Link #110
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Lol, me too.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 22:18   Link #111
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
i didn't know so many people hated kuroko
Some people hate her, some people love her.
I'm one of those who simply worship her (or at least her voice ( ≡▽≡)).
Old 2010-07-01, 22:20   Link #112
karuroso

To me Kuroko was an plus =D really liked that choice for her to be the "voice from the sky"
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 23:20   Link #113
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to octoberasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
Some people hate her, some people love her.
I'm one of those who simply worship her (or at least her voice ( ≡▽≡)).
I agree with Nina on that.

At first when I saw To Aru no Majutsu no Index, her voice wasn't something I liked at first. However, as the show progressed and eventually into Railgun, it just grew on me and I ended up liking Kuroko. It's a unique voice and I would have to say that her voice itself brings its own humor to the show.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, / I took the one less traveled by.

Last edited by octoberasian; 2010-07-01 at 23:37.
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 23:34   Link #114
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Her narrating is pretty funny for me

Btw, is Ookami's VA the same as Mikoto's???
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 23:53   Link #115
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

First Impressions: Chalk me up as one who found the narration too heavy-handed and not all that funny, though I confess I'm no fan of Arai Satomi. I am a fan of Irinu Miyu, though, so I'm interested to see if he can inject any life into this premise. It's JC Staff so you could get something utterly ordinary, or something genuinely interesting. Too early to tell.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 23:53   Link #116
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Anyone who likes (or dislikes) Arai Satomi here should try out the 2005 show Mahoraba. She plays the gentle heroine Kozue there, but ends up doing five different voices towards the end -- none of which resemble this one, as far as I recall. Quite a performance. The first time I heard a voice verging on the one that has made her so ubiquitous recently was when she played Tome in Chiko, Heiress of the Phantom Thief.

She does a lot of TV dubbing, as well as anime and games. She's going to turn 30 on Sunday.

As for Irino Miyu, I usually think he's terrific, but I didn't get much out of his performance here. He has to de-wimp this character a bit before I can take it seriously.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-07-02 at 00:08.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 00:25   Link #117
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Today in story time with Kuroko....

Hahaha, the narration was hilarious. The story itself was kid of meh but I'd watch this series just because of the narrator.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 00:30   Link #118
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Anyone who likes (or dislikes) Arai Satomi here should try out the 2005 show Mahoraba. She plays the gentle heroine Kozue there, but ends up doing five different voices towards the end -- none of which resemble this one, as far as I recall.
Looked up a scene from that on YouTube, and she does sound different, but in the end I still hear Kuroko. O___O mindfuuuuuck...
Old 2010-07-02, 00:40   Link #119
wingman32x

Good enough first episode. The narrator was pretty funny, and the Taiga clone looks like a good Tsundere. I too noticed the audio from the narrator and the characters sort of overlap each other, but I didn't mind it too much. Not a fan of the male lead so far. I hope he gets better. Overall a decent opener.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-02, 01:43   Link #120
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Pretty good first episode I thought, should be an entertaining series to watch if the humor can be a bit better in the episodes to come. I already like their maid, Otsuu, and found her thing for repaying debt rather amusing, and well cute xD; also guess that's why she works there . I liked the OP it was fitting, and I wonder how the ED will be next week, and end of the episode as said just made me LOL actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Also, Ryouko > Taiga <__<.
I agree with you, her Neko fists, and being taller is win .
Konakaga is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen