AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-29, 01:59   Link #281
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagara
What I am curious is how she lost her memories in the first place, when she first awakened, she is clearly in full command of her memory and addressed Irene thus. And yet next time we see her, she wanders like a mindless child and only instinct self defense against Isley's attack cause her to fight back.
That Sagara, I personally imagine is because her transformation was "incomplete" - incomplete in the sense that the transformation as a whole was a complete unintended accident, and she lost control of herself as we all saw. Her sheer humanity, and love for humanity, is almost like an antithesis.

Her transformation was physically complete....but in many aspects, it was also premature. It was this inherit split between her dominating allpowerful Awakening instincts against her struggling humanity that created, not only the(near black and white) split in personalities, but the splits on her mind and memory as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge
Priscilla no longer cares for Raki, but Raki has caused her to remember most of her past
Hedge, if she no longer cares for Raki, why didn't she just eat him then?

The boy smells delicious and she's had in front of her for years, it's not like he could have stopped her, he said so much himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge
though, from the ch 99 flashback, it sounds like she CHOOSE to be herself as a human child and try to regain her memories of when she really was one.
But of course; Raki told us all the way back in 82 that, ever since they met, she hasn't been eating anything. That right there basically told everyone that he was the reason for the changes she was doing to herself.
Old 2009-12-29, 02:10   Link #282
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
shiek,

all ABs are "human" like, not just the AOs. Really the only difference is that they "cannabalize" (feed on humans, as they WERE originally human, it's loosely cannabalism, hehe).

ONLY Priscilla has shown to be possibly MESSED UP, if she's not maliciously faking all that human child regression stuff while with Isley and Raki.
..............What's your point, where are you going with this?

(But yes, I do agree they are all basically humans with too much power, nothing more, nothing less).
Old 2009-12-29, 02:26   Link #283
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

A reminder for the thread - posting images and links from sites with licensed content is not allowed, period. If you must use a page for reference, upload it to a site like Imageshack before linking it here. Refusal to do this will end up with deletion of links, posts, and possible infractions.

Thanks.
Old 2009-12-29, 02:29   Link #284
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Oh, I see now

Well yes, all the Awakened as far as we know, either wanted to awaken(Riful is a big one), or gave into it(the Males). Priscilla.....I wonder if she was even aware she was awakening, especially considering she was in the middle of an intense fight and she was busy thinking about Teresa and her parents.

Yes, looking at your 3 positions, I mostly land on Number 2, though it would seem the struggle isn't as big as it was before, because now the AO side seems to hold itself back.

Number 3 is just plain impossible because no one is like that, not even Ophelia, who was insane but also had her scarred side behind it(crying in the rain).

Number 1 I find unlikely...because, despite the possibliity of it being true existing...it's too far fetched. Ask yourself, if she was faking it all, then why did she leave Raki and let him live? If she really faked it all; why did she hold herself back and why did let him live?

It's extremely unlikely Hedge; I doubt we would be getting flashbacks if she was making up her affection for him. The huge words "In order to regain everything she was before that scent", along with other evidence, tell me that their really was an internal conflict going on and Raki had a huge effect on it.
Old 2009-12-29, 02:29   Link #285
Aimless
Insufficiently Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Anyone who believes she's just "snapped", you need to explain a few things:
- Why is Raki still alive? He should have been eaten too in a "snap" situation. Raki himself predicted as much.
- Why did Priscilla abandon Raki? (telling me she didn't notice the lone survivor in a town who's populace she wiped out, doesn't cut it.)
- Why is Priscilla eating untasty things? It'd be far simpler to speout wings, fly to the next town. This indicates that she's feeding for some other motivation than simply satisfying hunger since eating as much as possible as quickly as possible seems to be the order of the day.
I've given this a bit more consideration, and my thinking on the subject goes something like this:

"Snapped" is too strong a word. It's more along the lines of which aspect of her personality is dominant. While she was in Raki's presence, she was suppressing the awakened side; now she no longer is. She's still enough herself to recognize Raki and refrain from eating him.

The analogy I want to make here is Rurouni Kenshin vs. Hitokiri Battousai. Each time Kenshin "snapped" and became the Battousai, he still had the same objectives as he before the change, but he no longer cared about the methods he used to obtain those objectives; as such, you could not say that the motives which drove Kenshin applied to the Battousai.

Priscilla is a slightly different version of the same phenomenon. Her objectives are (likely) the same as they were before the change, but that doesn't mean you can apply the same motives. Her awakened personality is so bestial that I'm not sure you can ascribe any human motives to her.
Old 2009-12-29, 02:33   Link #286
Addiction_2_Claymore
Totally addicted...

wait, is Riful CONFIRMED dead?? T_T i love Riful mann.
i mean, if she really died, that's kind of a very boring/sad/quick ending for her.

(sorry if this has been discussed before, i'm not bothering to read the previous discussions)

Old 2009-12-29, 02:34   Link #287
Aimless
Insufficiently Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction_2_Claymore View Post
wait, is Riful CONFIRMED dead?? T_T i love Riful mann.
i mean, if she really died, that's kind of a very boring/sad/quick ending for her.
At least as dead as Irene.

Om nom nom nom.
Old 2009-12-29, 02:35   Link #288
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimless
She's still enough herself to recognize Raki and refrain from eating him.
....Meh, but that seems so...hollow Aimless. She refrained herself and that's it? Doesn't seem like much of an explanation.

If she really is as monstrous and hungry as you say she is(and she is), I see no reason she would let him go unless she really wanted to above all else, because she has no problem devouring every other last person in the town.

And like Cyclone says, why is she attacking and eating such powerful key players, if they taste so horribly? Yoki tastes bad, so eating Abyssals must be like eating charcoal...but that raw raw power must replenish her big-time. Isn't that just a bit too coincidental? Why is she seemingly picking targets instead of just rampaging delicious humans like she did before if food is all she cares about?
Old 2009-12-29, 02:41   Link #289
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
Why is she seemingly picking targets instead of just rampaging delicious humans like she did before if food is all she cares about?
Thanks to Raciella there probably aren't any humans left in the area for her to feed on.
Old 2009-12-29, 02:43   Link #290
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Thanks to Raciella there probably aren't any humans left in the area for her to feed on.
True true...but she has wings, and her speed without using them, might as well be called teleportation for crying out loud.

Nothing stops her from covering vast distances as we've seen from 99, with or without using wings, so I can't think location is the reason.
Old 2009-12-29, 02:45   Link #291
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Well think about it this way. If you're traveling to your house from a long day of work, would you want to go back the other direction for a bite to eat from your favorite restaurant or would you just pick whatever was convenient on your path home?
Old 2009-12-29, 02:48   Link #292
SagaraSouske

I am not so sure about Priscilla's awakening is unstable or that she suffers some type of multiple personality disorder. I think this is one of those hidden punches that Yagi will throw at us from an unexpected angle. There is a missing link between the transition from AB persona and the amnesia Pris persona. The chibi Pris with Raki is merely the amnesia persona recovering some of her memory and following Raki by scent.
Old 2009-12-29, 02:53   Link #293
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Well think about it this way. If you're traveling to your house from a long day of work, would you want to go back the other direction for a bite to eat from your favorite restaurant or would you just pick whatever was convenient on your path home?
Hmmm......still, I wouldn't necessarily call what she's eating convenient. After all, the taste must be so horrible to her, it'd be if like If I decided not to go back to my favorite resturant, and instead, decided to eat out of a trash bin.

That's probably the best analogy; you haven't eaten all day, and instead of taking a few minutes to go to a buffet, you decide to eat one slime-covered daily vitamin pill .

I have a good feeling, or at least a hope, we'll get a lot of explanations from her about various things, and why she ate the Abyssals will definitely be one of them.
Old 2009-12-29, 02:53   Link #294
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaraSouske View Post
What I am curious is how she lost her memories in the first place, when she first awakened, she is clearly in full command of her memory and addressed Irene thus. And yet next time we see her, she wanders like a mindless child and only instinct self defense against Isley's attack cause her to fight back.
We can only theorize, of course.
There is some circumstantial evidence though we can get from Ophelia.
Ophelia, like Priscilla, hated ABs.
When Ophelia awakened, she was unaware that she had awakened - at least partially (was in a severe state of denial). When Ophelia saw her reflection, it was a huge shock to her, and she gave Clare the oportunity to kill her.

It is not unreasonable to expect parallels in Priscilla's awakening.

If I had to construct a scenario, then Priscilla probably first realized she had awakened and become the thing she hated sometime while devouring everyone in the first town she flew off to. She probably started eating someone's guts and saw a mirror, or a little boy or girl tried to club from the back with an ax while she was eating their parents.

The shock of realization for someone like Priscilla (already a bit unhinged), was probably enough for her to lose her mind completely and repress her memories (I understand that this is not uncommon in cases of trauma, etc). The next time we see her, she has repressed nearly all of her memories becoming totally child-like and thus free from any inhibitions what-so-ever and only reacting to stimulus (hunger -> eating one town after the next; attack -> fight back).

The appearance of Raki triggered a memory. A memory not of her past, but rather what kind of person she was or wanted to be. A memory of an ideal of justice and peace.

Raki's injury was an another shock and caused her to re-awaken her powers. It's hard to imagine being able to re-awaken her powers but not awaken any memories - memories that she locked away in order to continue living in her fantasy world (in essense, she voluntarily gave up her dream world life in order to be of use saving Raki).

As Aimless says, I expect her to have some of her memory jogged by this, but I expect the stimulus which caused the jog to remain (desire to help Raki). Innocent, naive, loving or ruthless - we are talking about different sides of the same Priscilla coin. A complete Priscilla is a combination of all of these personalities.

Now that Priscilla is coming to face who she is again, we'll see how she takes it. She re-awoke to save Raki (in all liklihood) so chances are that's what she will go out and do (i.e. kill Raciella). After that, I'm not convinced she'll be all that interested in continuing to live (knowing who she is and all). It's quite possible she'll just let Clare execute her (in which case, I can't imagine how empty that would make Clare's revenge feel like).
Old 2009-12-29, 03:00   Link #295
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone
in which case, I can't imagine how empty that would make Clare's revenge feel like)
Claire really is just gonna have to get the hell over it; she already completely disobeyed Teresa in not living as a human and becoming a warrior, with her own flesh to begin with.

I said this before, but I won't be surprised one bit if Claire has this fantasy that killing Priscilla will magically bring Teresa back in her life again. The girl hasn't changed one bit since she had long brown hair. If anything, she's become even more stubborn.

I wonder if, if she kills Priscilla, will she even remember the other Ghosts and their plight, or she'll be like "Nah, I'm good, I did what I always wanted to do....seeya".

I know I'm making her sound bad, but I don't think I'm too far off from the truth.
Old 2009-12-29, 03:10   Link #296
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
I've given this a bit more consideration, and my thinking on the subject goes something like this:

"Snapped" is too strong a word. It's more along the lines of which aspect of her personality is dominant. While she was in Raki's presence, she was suppressing the awakened side; now she no longer is. She's still enough herself to recognize Raki and refrain from eating him.

The analogy I want to make here is Rurouni Kenshin vs. Hitokiri Battousai. Each time Kenshin "snapped" and became the Battousai, he still had the same objectives as he before the change, but he no longer cared about the methods he used to obtain those objectives; as such, you could not say that the motives which drove Kenshin applied to the Battousai.

Priscilla is a slightly different version of the same phenomenon. Her objectives are (likely) the same as they were before the change, but that doesn't mean you can apply the same motives. Her awakened personality is so bestial that I'm not sure you can ascribe any human motives to her.
We're not thinking that far apart, but reaching different conclusions.
hitokiri battousi is an excellent example, and the main girl in Rosario and Vampire is another (deserves mention, despite the series being bad, due to it running in Jump SQ too - along with Claymore).

In these cases, the cold personality always did what was important to the warm personality. In this case, I think it's saving Raki. Due to Raciella's ridiculous power level (over 9000!), I think Priscilla concluded she needed a power up asap and didn't much care how - that's why, as Shiek927 pointed out in a great metaphor, she went dumpster diving instead of stopping at the all you can eat buffet a few towns over.

You seem to conclude a more dr jekyl and mr hyde approach.
We'll see I guess...
Old 2009-12-29, 03:19   Link #297
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
Clare hates herself for not hating Priscilla. This is her ONLY DESIRE AND REASON SHE'S LIVING. Clare wants to die without hating herself. This means she has to kill Priscilla.

I forgot where at the moment, but:

the manga clearly says through Clare herself:

Clare: ~ "I'm only alive and became a Claymore for the SOLE PURPOSE OF KILLING PRISCILLA"

(though, we don't know if this is still the case. Despite her disgust in her "weakness" of compassion, she still shows it for others, risking her own life and mission of killing Priscilla, to save others, like her fellow Claymores. Then there's the love with Raki. So who knows how Clare is going to turn out)

the fact remains though:

Clare's only reason for existing is the annihilation of Priscilla.

Clare decided long ago, when she held Teresa's head in her arms, that her LIFE WAS HER MISSION, A MISSION TO KILL PRISCILLA. FINDING AND DEMANDING RUBEL OF ALL PEOPLE TO MAKE HER INTO A CLAYMORE, BEING THE FIRST AND LAST CLAYMORE TO EVER "COME KNOCKING ON THE ORGANIZATION'S DOOR".
Claire is hypocritical Hedge, plain and simple.

She doesn't blame or hate Priscilla, it's all an excuse, she blames herself for being so helpless and being so scared to prevent Teresa's death.

I'm not trying to make her sound bad, I'm really not, but the girl has issues and is far from perfect, and I honestly don't know what she's trying to achieve, because it certainly isn't to avenge Teresa. Killing Priscilla I suppose, could be her own method of closure.

She's stubborn; more then once have people came to her and told her to let go, to be happy and live for the future, but she constantly goes the hard way and pushes them aside. She cares for people, deep-down; it's why she says things like not helping someone she never met, but then trying to save Renee.

I have a much bigger post on this matter that I'm having trouble finding, but until I find it, point-blank, Claire hates herself for not being able to save Teresa. Priscilla is just an excuse.
Old 2009-12-29, 03:40   Link #298
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1310

Finally found my post where I go a little more into how I read Claire - no wonder it took awhile, I made it back in July.

Night.
Old 2009-12-29, 05:04   Link #299
Zsych

On further consideration - the way things have been happening lately with characters who really shouldn't have been dying, dying. I wonder if Yagi will end this on a tragedy where Clare falls to the epic storm that is Priscilla in chapter 100. Now that would be shocking. Not really a horrible ending. Clare is more soldier material than real hero material anyway.
Old 2009-12-29, 06:04   Link #300
Joe_fh

From what we've seen this far I believe Clare hates Prissy a lot. I don't see how being a kind hearted person in general contradics with wanting to kill the person that took everything from you. In fact one of Clare's driving forces is revenge - the last chapter clearly shows that. If she doesn't go all out at Prissy it will be trowing out her character build up out the window.

As I said she has absolutely no chance of killing or even injuring Prissy so I'm really interested how things will turn out. Yes she might have part of Teresa's power and a whole lot of other power ups but she has no idea how to use them (she probably doesn't even know she has some of them) and at the moment she is blinded by rage. On the other hand Prissy takes down AO, walks around in a storm of hell cat projectiles and is completely calm plus she's more aware of her power and how to use it. Oh and her power level is way beyond what Clare could have. Basically if she wants them dead they are dead.

Either way I still don't see how killing of Riful did anything at all. It's like they are killing off most characters right before the end of a series (in most cases without a reason for them to die) when in fact we should be far from the end. Really wierd...

Clare dying will be a nice turn of events but I don't see how we'll get any closure for any of the other plotlines. If Prissy comes out on top in the end since everyone on the island will be as good as dead and i doubt she'll let the organization or the other Ghosts do as the please.
Closed Thread