AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-23, 10:23   Link #1
Quakis

Send a message via MSN to Quakis
Japanese PC Games; non-eroge/hentai

I'm looking for recommendations for Japanese PC game titles that does not have a large focus on eroge/hentai material. I don't really have any specific genres in mind, since I'll play anything if it takes my interest. Visual novels, RPG or (denmaku) shooters, etc.

Preferences (not limited to); games that are not released outside Japan / have English patches available
Exceptions; if ero content plays a small part / can be disabled

Another possible exception could be, if it is a highly recommended title dispite ero content. But more details about it and why would be useful.

I already know of the following titles;
  • Touhou Series
  • Tsukihime
  • Fate/Stay Night (Unsure; how much ero content?)
  • Higurashi/Umineko no Nakukoroni
  • Cave Story
  • Ys Series
I appreciate all the help and suggestions that are made. Cheers for your time!
Old 2010-06-23, 13:36   Link #2
Divini
Senpai!

CLANNAD has been 99.9% fan translated...
Old 2010-06-23, 13:47   Link #3
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakis View Post
I'm looking for recommendations for Japanese PC game titles that does not have a large focus on eroge/hentai material. I don't really have any specific genres in mind, since I'll play anything if it takes my interest. Visual novels, RPG or (denmaku) shooters, etc.

Preferences (not limited to); games that are not released outside Japan / have English patches available
Exceptions; if ero content plays a small part / can be disabled

Another possible exception could be, if it is a highly recommended title dispite ero content. But more details about it and why would be useful.

I already know of the following titles;
  • Touhou Series
  • Tsukihime
  • Fate/Stay Night (Unsure; how much ero content?)
  • Higurashi/Umineko no Nakukoroni
  • Cave Story
  • Ys Series
I appreciate all the help and suggestions that are made. Cheers for your time!
Can I get you to clearify whether you want stuff in English or Japanese? Your wording concerning that is a bit confusing.

On the English side, I honestly think playing Ever 17: The Out of Infinity should be considered a right of passage for English-only visual novel players, because the plot of that game is fantastic. It's also non-ero. Just be warned that the pacing can seem pretty slow (especially due to a number of repeated scenes between routes, although you might notice things the second time around you didn't at first...), and that you'll probably need a walkthrough to complete it.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-06-23, 14:44   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Japan doesn't have a PC game industry outside of the VN market, H-games and danmaku stuffs.

A good free Japanese game that is a different take on the danmaku genre: Warning Forever. It's like an endless series of boss fights, in which the next boss adapts to how you killed the last boss.

I've never made it past stage 15.

Why restrict yourself to Japanese titles? Despite the general state of PC gaming right now, there are still some fantastic gems out there. Metro 2033 is supposed to be damn awesome, and Fallout: New Vegas is coming out soon.
Old 2010-06-23, 15:27   Link #5
Quakis

Send a message via MSN to Quakis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Can I get you to clearify whether you want stuff in English or Japanese? Your wording concerning that is a bit confusing.
To be more specific;
Japanese PC titles unreleased outside of Japan with an English patch/translation available.

However, I didn't want to limit it there too much. Some stuff might get an English translation at a later date, so it would be nice to keep my eyes open for them if that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Why restrict yourself to Japanese titles?
Haha, it's actually quite the opposite really. I do play a lot of PC games in general, and a broad range of genres too. I've recently took an interest in pushing myself to look for Japanese games that haven't been released outside of Japan to broaden my choices that much more. There might be some gems I've been missing out on. Good example is Touhou, I've only known of the images/fanarts and eventually got into the games. Even bought myself two of them so far.

And Metro 2033 / Fallout: New Vegas are on my wishlist.

Cheers for the suggestion so far guys, I appreciate it. Keep them coming!

Last edited by Quakis; 2010-06-24 at 11:02. Reason: Corrections
Old 2010-06-26, 16:41   Link #6
Coruja

Definitely Ever 17: The Out of Infinity, best VN I've played so far.

I also really enjoyed Chaos;Head.

Since I love visual novels but at the same time dislike eroges, I'm going to bookmark this thread. :P
Closed Thread