AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-14, 17:40   Link #4481
Judoh
Mystery buff

There's been a couple of things I've always been wondering about... You know that TIP notes from a certain cook? The Gohda one?

There are two things I find suspicious in that

One is this "Oyakata-sama"

Quote:
...... Do never reveal this to anyone. Of course it includes Oyakata-sama, Master, Madam and, naturally, Milady as well.
...... Kanon will be punished later.'
To be called "Sama" I'm guessing this person has to be Kinzo's wife. And for Gohda to know Kinzo's wife she has to be alive the year before last. And (assuming Grandma really did die before Battler returned) she also has to die the year before last, which means if Kinzo died the year before last then he and his wife died ...in the same year... Huh...??

The second is that no one, but Genji and Gohda were on the island that day. For that to be possible shouldn't Kanon and Shannon have a place to live off of the island?

Last edited by Judoh; 2010-08-14 at 17:52.
Old 2010-08-14, 17:43   Link #4482
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
The second is that no one, but Genji and Gohda were on the island that day. For that to be possible shouldn't Kanon and Shannon live off of the island?
I noticed this as well but never thought about it much as it otherwise wouldn't make much sense that they are always baw'ing about leaving the island

Last edited by Kitsu; 2010-08-16 at 19:11. Reason: wrong thread
Old 2010-08-14, 21:03   Link #4483
UsagiTenpura
Echo of Noise

Send a message via Skype™ to UsagiTenpura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
The second is that no one, but Genji and Gohda were on the island that day. For that to be possible shouldn't Kanon and Shannon have a place to live off of the island?
I always thought it was a bit ridiculous anyway to have like 3 servants living there full time + Gohda/Kumasawa/Manon/Renon/others if I forgot any working there as well even tho they don't live there. I mean Kinzo + Krauss + Natsuhi + Jessica. How many people do you need to serve 4 people? 5 if we include Kinzo's wife.
Old 2010-08-14, 21:10   Link #4484
Judoh
Mystery buff

Well yeah... the servant thing is kind of redundant if you put it that way.

What I was more worried about is the person who, 'seems to be Kinzo's wife, Oyakata. Hope I made it clear enough, but in case I didn't if she died the year before last (for the reason above) no matter what, if Kinzo died in the same year or before there would be a clear reason for the siblings to suspect Kinzo is dead. And yet...huh? If there is such a clear reason to suspect Kinzo is dead why isn't it stated?
Old 2010-08-14, 21:24   Link #4485
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

It's not the people as much as it is maintenance of a large building. That can take a bloody lot of work.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-08-15, 10:30   Link #4486
Misuzu
Dribble.....SHOOTOH!

Quote:
To be called "Sama" I'm guessing this person has to be Kinzo's wife. And for Gohda to know Kinzo's wife she has to be alive the year before last. And (assuming Grandma really did die before Battler returned) she also has to die the year before last, which means if Kinzo died the year before last then he and his wife died ...in the same year... Huh...??

This is a very interesting catch. Since Kinzo's wife is such a non-presence in the story, I'd always assumed that she'd died quite some time ago. If she died right around the time Kinzo did, it definitely changes some things. I assume she would have had to die before Kinzo, because there must have been funeral services of some kind, and Kinzo would have needed to attend.
Old 2010-08-15, 15:45   Link #4487
UsagiTenpura
Echo of Noise

Send a message via Skype™ to UsagiTenpura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
It's not the people as much as it is maintenance of a large building. That can take a bloody lot of work.
Actually I saw the model mansion it was based off and it's not as big as the game leads us to believe. I don't know about the guesthouse tho.
Old 2010-08-16, 08:59   Link #4488
ErenselTheJester

Quote:
There's been a couple of things I've always been wondering about... You know that TIP notes from a certain cook? The Gohda one?

Kinzo.... killed... his own wife.

Then f*cked Beatrice and had four kids
Old 2010-08-16, 18:01   Link #4489
LtheMilkEater

Quote:

Um, sorry to butt in here since I really have nothing to add to a discussion on Ep 6, but if I'm not mistaken, doesn't Oyakata-sama mean something along the lines of "leader of the family"? I'm saying this with absolutely no context, but couldn't Oyakata-sama here just mean Kinzo, since he's head of the family? As proof of the usage of Oyakata-sama as a title and not an actual name, I give you this clip from Sengoku Basara, where Yukimura (voiced by Souichirou Hoshi) refers to his leader as Oyakata-sama.
Old 2010-08-16, 19:04   Link #4490
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtheMilkEater View Post
I'm saying this with absolutely no context, but couldn't Oyakata-sama here just mean Kinzo, since he's head of the family? As proof of the usage of Oyakata-sama as a title and not an actual name, I give you this clip from Sengoku Basara, where Yukimura (voiced by Souichirou Hoshi) refers to his leader as Oyakata-sama.
Wow I feel kind of stupid now...

It could, but I wonder if anyone besides Gohda has ever called him that before?

EDIT: yeah Oyakata sama can mean master, but it seems it usually refers to a "Sumo coach" or a parent status.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_titles

Oyakata (親方 : おやかた?), master, especially a sumo coach. The literal sense is of someone in loco parentis.

Last edited by Judoh; 2010-08-16 at 19:14.
Old 2010-08-16, 19:52   Link #4491
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Wow I feel kind of stupid now...

It could, but I wonder if anyone besides Gohda has ever called him that before?
At least Shannon has, I believe. Krauss is "danna-sama", Natsuhi is "oku-sama", Jessica is "ojou-sama", and Kinzo is "oyakata-sama".
Old 2010-08-16, 20:04   Link #4492
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
At least Shannon has, I believe. Krauss is "danna-sama", Natsuhi is "oku-sama", Jessica is "ojou-sama", and Kinzo is "oyakata-sama".
ahahaha! Oh wow! So they're literally calling Krauss and Natsuhi "the husband", and "the wife"?

I feel even sorrier for Natsuhi now!
Old 2010-08-16, 20:10   Link #4493
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
ahahaha! Oh wow! So they're literally calling Krauss and Natsuhi "the husband", and "the wife"?

I feel even sorrier for Natsuhi now!
...Why? Those are proper terms of respect for the master and mistress of the house.
Old 2010-08-16, 20:19   Link #4494
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
...Why? Those are proper terms of respect for the master and mistress of the house.
I think that's why it's translated as "Master" and "Madam" instead. It doesn't sound the same in English. It sounds more like the terms are objectifying in English.
Old 2010-08-16, 21:14   Link #4495
DaBackpack
Blick Winkel

Forgive me for intruding with a trivial matter, but can someone tell me the significance of the line "Black tea is best enjoyed with your fellow monsters"?

Is this an allusion to something, or is it intentionally made to be creepy?

EDIT: Last line of the ???? in EP6.
Old 2010-08-16, 21:30   Link #4496
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

The reference to a line some games ago ("Black tea is best enjoyed with your fellow witches") was brought up in-game, I believe.
Old 2010-08-17, 06:56   Link #4497
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

I've finally caught up to this point..

Are there any theories on how "Kanon" disappeared from the guest room after relieving Battler? Or are there reasons why this doesn't even have to be considered..?

Only thing I can think of is that since Erika doesn't understand Kanon's identity, her blue truth was unable to pinpoint him. Her failure was to ignore the romance story Battler wrote, and just skip to the murders. :P
Old 2010-08-17, 07:13   Link #4498
Rei-Tenshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Are there any theories on how "Kanon" disappeared from the guest room after relieving Battler?
Shkanon theory.
Old 2010-08-17, 07:31   Link #4499
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

Yes, I'm familiar with that. So, Shkanon went in the closet, and in that instant the "Kanon" personality died for reasons unknown. Since it was a battle of twisted logic, that's acceptable.

They also didn't say in red anything about the sudden death of a personality, since that might be contradictory. Instead they evade the subject...
Kanon entered the guest room. Kanon does not exist anywhere in the guest room.

That wasn't necessarily checkmate, since you could still argue that multiple personalities don't work that way...or something. Or Erika could have refused the duel and instead continued the game, then she would've found Shannon and could make a comeback. But a duel is a duel and a win is a win.
Old 2010-08-17, 07:50   Link #4500
Misuzu
Dribble.....SHOOTOH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I've finally caught up to this point..

Are there any theories on how "Kanon" disappeared from the guest room after relieving Battler? Or are there reasons why this doesn't even have to be considered..?

Only thing I can think of is that since Erika doesn't understand Kanon's identity, her blue truth was unable to pinpoint him. Her failure was to ignore the romance story Battler wrote, and just skip to the murders. :P
The other big theory is that Kanon died after entering the room, which works since dies=doesn't exist has been used with Kinzo.
Closed Thread