AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-05-17, 22:13   Link #1
Samari
World's Greatest

Interstellar (2014)

I'm surprised a thread doesn't already exist about this upcoming film.

The basic premise:

Quote:
Interstellar is an upcoming science fiction film directed by Christopher Nolan. Starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Bill Irwin, Ellen Burstyn, and Michael Caine, the film features a team of space travelers who travel through a wormhole. Nolan combined his idea with an existing script by his brother Jonathan Nolan that was developed in 2007 for Paramount Pictures and producer Lynda Obst. Nolan is producing the film with Obst and Emma Thomas.
Here is the newest trailer released the other day. A lot of information about this film is being kept in seclusion. Even with the newest trailer we don't get that much. I actually like that. These days trailers can essentially give away the entire movie. This feels like the old days where trailers gave you a basic outline.

For the last year I've been looking forward to this film, because for a long time I've been interested in the question of will humanity ever find a way to conquer the problem of interstellar travel (grew up loving Star Trek). And with Nolan at the helm, you know you're going to get a quality product. I have some further thoughts on the trailer.

- I didn't know this movie was going to have so many quality actors. Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, John Lithgow Jessica Chastin, Michael Caine, Casey Affleck, and I think Matt Damon has a cameo.

- The initial plot seems intriguing. We have a lot of films within the last 15-20 years about a dystopian and depressing future. This one deals with famine though it seems. To the point that the population of Earth has to consider actually leaving in search of another planet. I'm really curious as to who much of Earth's population has even survived at the beginning of the movie.

- I wonder if this film is going to deal with the theory of space travel and time dilation. It looks like Jessica Chastin and/or maybe Casey Affleck play Matthew McConaughey's children 15-20 years after he goes up into space. Jessica Chastin's character has her father's jacket on. Maybe wondering what happened to her father and if he's ever coming back. The world looks to have also gotten worse than when he initially left.

- I'm going to say that space bubble thing was either another dimension or a portal to get to another side of the cosmos.

- Nolan apparently used another DP for this film as well. His usual guy went to work as a director for Transcendence. So it will be interesting to see how this new DP works with Nolan's direction.

- The samples from this soundtrack by Hans Zimmer sounds brilliant already. Can't wait to hear the huge score.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 00:53   Link #2
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i would LOVE for this film to expand on time dilation. we see an older version of his daughter later in the trailer, which at least hints that some significant amount of time has passed. i've had a fascination with the topic since i watched Voices of a Distant Star, all those years ago.

And yeah, Hans Zimmer's score sounded amazing. this one is definitely on my radar.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 02:24   Link #3
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

The trailer music is actually from V For Vendetta:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Interstellar seems like a modern version of Contact. That's a good thing in my view. Although I question if it will touch as deeply on the same themes.
Old 2014-05-18, 03:48   Link #4
Samari
World's Greatest

Interesting the music is from V for Vendetta. Sounded like something Zimmer could put together.

And yes I did think of Contact when I kept thinking about this film. Funny, Matthew M. was in that too.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 10:55   Link #5
ACertainStark
Adores Cheap Whistles

That final 30 seconds looked terrifying. I need to watch this in IMAX 3D for full effect.
ACertainStark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 17:22   Link #6
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

I wonder, has anyone else read the script from 2008? I understand that Nolan has made some changes to it since then but from the trailer it seems that much is still intact.
Rosalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 18:06   Link #7
ACertainStark
Adores Cheap Whistles

This is only from the first act (trailer) so who knows.
ACertainStark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 23:13   Link #8
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
This is only from the first act (trailer) so who knows.
Have you read the 2008 script by any chance?

(Summer 2014 - Currently Watching)
Sailor Moon Crystal | Tokyo Ghoul | Aldnoah.Zero
Zankyou no Terror | Glasslip | Hanayamata
Old 2014-05-19, 01:39   Link #9
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

What was wrong with the 2008 script?

Quote:
I'm going to say that space bubble thing was either another dimension or a portal to get to another side of the cosmos.
It's most likely a warp bubble, compressing space around the ship to give the illusion of the ship moving, where as it's actually space bending around the ship.
Old 2014-05-20, 08:18   Link #10
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
What was wrong with the 2008 script?
Nothing was wrong with the 2008 script. It's just that when Nolan got his hands on it he (evidently) tweaked a few things. I was just wondering if anyone else on here had read it because it's definitely worth discussing.

(Summer 2014 - Currently Watching)
Sailor Moon Crystal | Tokyo Ghoul | Aldnoah.Zero
Zankyou no Terror | Glasslip | Hanayamata
Old 2014-05-20, 21:56   Link #11
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Saw the trailer during godzilla imax session.
Quite intriguing as i have no expectation on what is coming in this movie.
But after seeing Nolan's name on it. Well, i am curious.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 03:51   Link #12
Tiberium Wolf

After watching the trailer I am very curious and I think they should keep that way. No more trailers and info leaks.
Old 2014-05-23, 19:36   Link #13
Hazou
Immortal Flames

This looks like Contact vision by Nolan. What I am afraid of currently is from the trailers it looks more touchy feely than it does Sci-fi. If that makes sense.

Burn strongly and freely, my immortal flames.
Hazou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 19:50   Link #14
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

I wonder if they will try to show off the proposd real Warp Drive that has become theoretical in the last decade, and potentially practical with new research. Ten times the speed of light would make a trip to the closer potentially habitable planets.
Old 2014-10-21, 04:01   Link #15
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

Old 2014-10-21, 08:02   Link #16
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

It looks good, but my only problem is that I'm worried it will go like so many other space movies with usual eye rollingly predictable and boring "disasters" with people dying, surely there has to be some other way to add tension to these types of movies.
Old 2014-10-21, 08:11   Link #17
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
It looks good, but my only problem is that I'm worried it will go like so many other space movies with usual eye rollingly predictable and boring "disasters" with people dying, surely there has to be some other way to add tension to these types of movies.
I think the main tension for the film will come from the collapse of Earth as witnessed by McConaughey's character's daughter. Or at least this is what I expect based on the trailers.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-21, 09:56   Link #18
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

I hope thats more the focus, but the dialog "you're gona make it" (or whatever it was), the giant waves, and what looks to be an explosion or forced re-entry in space leaves me doubtful.