Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2014-08-10, 07:25   Link #1
Tiberium Wolf

Under the Dog

*Mod edit:

Please read the following guidelines before posting:

- Only the first post may link to a Kickstarter project and may be posted only as a reference.
- Do not make comments to encourage others to support or ignore the project in question.
- If you decide to support the project, do not post about how much you donated to it.
- Do not derail the conversation by talking about the fund rasing itself, nor try to "rush" people into it by discussing the deadline of each project.
- Remember that soliciting is not allowed here

Kickstarter Link

Today I was searching for news to read and then I found this. After that salad project I shouldn't be surprised by what comes out of Kickstarter.

The PV seems interesting.

Last edited by Kotohono; 2014-08-10 at 14:13.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 08:11   Link #2
Subpyro
Banned

There were quite some interesting points made in the news thread on MyAnimeList about it. Anyway, I might just end up throwing in something myself, but this sure isn't the first product trying to rise through the help of Kickstarter. The PV looks splendid, so it this were to actually take action, then color me interested in the outcome.

P.S.: The MyAnimeList news thread can be accessed through here.
Subpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 08:45   Link #3
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Judging from comments from the team, they could get a funding for making a full 2-cour series but it would cause some limits on the production values and script, so they want to rise a funds for 1-2 high-budget OVAs or a movie first.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 08:56   Link #4
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

I hope they manage to raise enough money for the project. They seem to genuinely want to create a new way to make anime.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 01:58   Link #5
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Under the Dog producer, Hiroaki Yura, just did an AMA session on Reddit today (Sept 4, 2014). There were some interesting questions and answers that gave insight into how the anime industry works as a whole.

Working within this forum's rules, here are some of the noteworthy Q&As:
Quote:
Hiroaki Yura (HY): We'll make sure we wont tread the usual Japanese production committee version of funding. We will still definitely produce it (we already have offer for 2 seasons, 26 episodes!) but we prefer to be funded by the people to retain our creative independence!

Q: Could you elaborate more on what's wrong with the usual production committee version of funding? Is it so restrictive that it prevents the production of more innovative anime titles?

HY: Yes it will be. They don't want to take the risks with innovative or edgy ideas for anime. They just want to do the anime that is selling well next door.
Quote:
Q: Without giving away spoilers, what kind of creative things are normally restricted?

HY: Like... negative or tragedy ridden anime. Creative writing and ideas which is out of bounds of "light novels"... not-so-moe or fan-service type character designs, etc

Q: Just curious, how do some of the more artsy anime get funded by production committees when it's fairly obvious that they won't sell well? I'm especially curious about original anime like Texhnolyze and RD Sennou Chousashitsu, but adaptations like Kino no Tabi seem like they should be doomed as well.

HY: The studio themselves puts up a lot of the money or companies radical enough to support a particular artist.
Quote:
Q: With the current state of the anime industry, is it easy to get discouraged when original concepts such as Under the Dog need crowd-funding just to be made?

HY: I hope UTD will give an example that the Japanese anime industry should really focus their attention globally, not just our tiny Japanese audience. Anime should be for the whole world, not just Japan. We don't always want moe anime or a light novel based anime. I for one long to see anime like Akira...

Japan, is only a little part of the whole world. I am very careful of doing this since I was raised in Australia despite being Japanese. Also yes, I feel there can be non-Japanese animators as well. Actually I know plenty who work in Japan on animation who aren't Japanese.
Quote:
Q: In the past few years each anime season will feature shows that just seem like reskins of what aired last month. Do you hope Under the Dog will be something fresh and set a new standard in the modern anime industry?

HY: Absolutely. There are fewer and fewer anime I feel interested or compelled to watch each season. Every year, I hear huge political struggles from industry colleagues and they are saddened by the fact if they could put more effort in their work rather than politics, it'd be so much better. Without much politics and freely doing what we want to do, I hope simply by doing that, UTD will reach new industry standards.

Q: So the production committee process creates a massive amount of stupid unneeded politics?

HY: Indeed they do. Most are interested in only promoting/selling their own portions. For example a music publisher may chip in for an anime but what they want to sell and what they promote is solely the music. They are not interested in anime as a whole but more of like a stepping stone.
Quote:
Q: 1) Can you talk a bit in detail what a producer does, or what you do as a producer? 2) A couple issues in the Japanese animation industry are short, difficult schedules and low pay for many animators. Have you taken either of these into consideration in your project? 3) Any hints for future Creative Intelligence Arts projects?

HY: 1) A Producer a) picks the members/studio to create the animation b) source the funding c) promote the animation d) keep everyone (I mean EVERYONE!!!) happy e) distribute the animation in the best way possible; 2) Yes. UTD will ultimately share a lot of the money generated from the project back to the creators (which production committees usually don't do); 3) We do have several anime and video game project up our sleeves but that's all we can tell you
Quote:
Q: Why are violas better than violins?

HY: Because violas are more sonorous, deep and richer. And I mean it.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 09:56   Link #6
Kazu-kun

Looks pretty good, I like it. I hope they get the money.
Old 2014-09-04, 15:21   Link #7
Esclair

They'll make it for sure now.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 21:12   Link #8
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Looks pretty good, I like it. I hope they get the money.
They got the money.

Under The Dog Anime Reaches Kickstarter Goal

24-minute pilot raised US$580,000 for production.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 22:22   Link #9
neshru

Huh, they did it. Would have never bet on them succeeding just one week ago.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-05, 02:53   Link #10
cupumanager

Masahiro Ando and Jiro Ishii huh...no wonder the trailer reminded me of CANAAN Opening

Compare
- Pistol shooting while falling Scene, gunning downwards.
- Backalley hand-to-hand Fight
- Helos flying over the city, strafing down MG fire.
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-05, 09:10   Link #11
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I'll just say that the visuals look stunning, but the story's premise seems iffy to me at best.

In other words, I think this project is going to be mostly flair, with very little in the way of substance.

But I am such a sucker for pretty girls with guns.

Anyway, I do hope that it lives up to all the hype and promise, because that'll be what it takes to start something really new in the industry.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-05, 11:46   Link #12
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Q: With the current state of the anime industry, is it easy to get discouraged when original concepts such as Under the Dog need crowd-funding just to be made?

HY: I hope UTD will give an example that the Japanese anime industry should really focus their attention globally, not just our tiny Japanese audience. Anime should be for the whole world, not just Japan. We don't always want moe anime or a light novel based anime. I for one long to see anime like Akira...

Japan, is only a little part of the whole world. I am very careful of doing this since I was raised in Australia despite being Japanese. Also yes, I feel there can be non-Japanese animators as well. Actually I know plenty who work in Japan on animation who aren't Japanese.

Yep
I feel you

That would be cool less dumb moe stuff here and here but it will be hard to get rid of this "thing"
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-05, 14:16   Link #13
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

You know, shows like this aren't exactly uncommon either...
They're just universally boring and awful. "Tryhard", if you will.
The fact that they're trying to market this as "anti-moeshit" speaks volumes to me about their confidence in the quality of the final product.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-05, 14:30   Link #14
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
There are similar shows but they usually come with light novel-like elements to make them more appealing for the otaku market. For instance, most shows these days, no matter the genre, have moe or harem elements. There are exceptions of course, but we're talking about the norm.

Anyway, I think the main point here is that doing things this way they get to do what they want instead of what a production committee wants. Whether the final product is any good is another question.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2014-09-05 at 17:45.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-05, 15:03   Link #15
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
The fact that they're trying to market this as "anti-moeshit" speaks volumes to me about their confidence in the quality of the final product.

Ohh come on

P-Pass was promoted like that too
In the interview if you remember , they were saying the same shit

and look what happened !

And Masahiro ando is something
I still believe it could be cool.

By the way where is P-pass season 2...
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-05, 16:53   Link #16
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
There are similar shows but they usually come with light novel-like elements to make them more appealing for the otaku market.
We have no idea whether or not UTD will have "LN-like" elements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenneth4 View Post
and look what happened !
Yeah, it was bad.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-05, 17:42   Link #17
Kazu-kun

Quote:
We have no idea whether or not UTD will have "LN-like" elements.
Well, in the interview they say that's one of the things they want to avoid. We'll have to wait and see how this translates into the actual work, but at least we know the intention is there.
Old 2014-09-06, 03:29   Link #18
kuromitsu

Quote:
Pretty much, yeah. I watched the trailer and throughout I kept thinking "what's so special about this? it's a flashy action show about a cute girl with a gun in a sexy outfit..." and "stock characters - check, flashy animation - check, action and violence - check.... yep, this is designed for a western audience."

Seriously, come up with a premise that doesn't involve a cute girl in a sexy outfit as the main character and we'll talk. (Nothing against cute girls, but lol @ the creators being all "this is soo unique!!!")

And yes, there ARE unique, interesting, not necessarily happy-happy-joy-joy, non-"moeshit" anime in almost every season, and they tend to be pretty good... it's just that they're usually ignored. (As for this season, just look at poor Nobunaga Concerto.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-06, 05:45   Link #19
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Seriously, come up with a premise that doesn't involve a cute girl in a sexy outfit as the main character and we'll talk. (Nothing against cute girls, but lol @ the creators being all "this is soo unique!!!")
Pretty much this, I mean they had 2 cours funded the conventional way, 2 cour orginal shows getting funded is rare.So it's not like this project needed kickstarter.

Though it does differ from LN in that there's no male protag in there someplace, LNs almost always have a male protag surrounded by girls.

That said Ando is a great action director, so looking forward to it.
Old 2014-09-06, 06:06   Link #20
bastek66

#keepanimealive is so stupid that it hurts.
Also whole this project is so generic that makes me want to rewatch Birdy.