AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 11 16.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 15.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 21.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 24.24%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 10.61%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.03%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 4.55%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.52%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-01-09, 01:55   Link #21
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Pretty mellow episode.
I'm actually not that big a fan of Saten-san, her story is just pretty boring.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 03:14   Link #22
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Why is the Synchrotron girl in 5:20? o.o Isn't she a Level 4 already?

Whoa, epic shoujo-ai moment for Jufuku there. :O

EDIT: Miss Synchrotron's name is 釧路帷子. If I did translate it correctly, it reads as "Kushiro Ishi".
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Winter 2015: Durarara!!x2 Shou, Koufuku Graffiti, Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata, Tsukimonogatari, and Kantai Collection.
LIGHT NOVEL CHALLENGE: Absolute Duo, Seiken Tsukai no World Break and Sister of Testament New Devil.

Spring 2015: Gintama (2015), Hibike! Euphonium, Shokugeki no Souma, High School DxD BorN, Oregairu Zoku, and Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 238. Plan to watch: 32.


Last edited by Marcus H.; 2010-01-09 at 03:46.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 03:20   Link #23
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Washington
Age: 26
Can't really get any more filler than this.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 03:22   Link #24
Bordix
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Plenty of Saten here, not that I don't mind but I expected things to pick up after that swimsuit episode, as well as a new OP. Maybe next week?

Definitely an improvement from the last episode. It's just kinda disappointing that I waited for 2 weeks just go get another filler. Well at least we get to see our favorite loli teacher from Index

The preview definitely looks interesting, lots of fighting there and woah, skill out! I've always wondered what those guys are, or what they do for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Why is the Synchrotron girl in 5:20? o.o Isn't she a Level 4 already?
I'm actually surprised to see her too. My guess is she probably is one of those early ones who discovered Level upper, and took the test when she got juiced up thus got her level increased in academy city's data base.
__________________
.
Bordix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 03:53   Link #25
Syntron
Shiny Hardware
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Needs more new OP

8/10
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 03:58   Link #26
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Or one more scenario is that she always go to the hospital that's why she was required to join in despite her power level.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Winter 2015: Durarara!!x2 Shou, Koufuku Graffiti, Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata, Tsukimonogatari, and Kantai Collection.
LIGHT NOVEL CHALLENGE: Absolute Duo, Seiken Tsukai no World Break and Sister of Testament New Devil.

Spring 2015: Gintama (2015), Hibike! Euphonium, Shokugeki no Souma, High School DxD BorN, Oregairu Zoku, and Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 238. Plan to watch: 32.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 04:35   Link #27
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Or one more scenario is that she always go to the hospital that's why she was required to join in despite her power level.
Spoiler for spoiler:


Looks like Uiharu has gained a love rival in this episode. This is what happens when you draw all the female characters together, it saturates into yuri.

Komoe-sensei! She finally makes an appearance!

P.S The bad-girl looks like the FeMC from P3P. Does she have the ability to summon a Persona?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-01-09 at 04:49.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 05:17   Link #28
Bordix
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Or one more scenario is that she always go to the hospital that's why she was required to join in despite her power level.
yeah that too. But I dunno, its just too much of a coincidence that she was hospitalized when level upper was rampant, but the again, the anime never stated the reason why she was hospitalized in the first place, and those special lessons weren't exactly for those who used level upper. So yeah, I think it's most likely that scenario
__________________
.
Bordix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 05:29   Link #29
Haak
Come At Me Bro.
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
If she wasn't perfectly fine, it was a mistake to have a whole episode following the Level-Upper arc showing she's perfectly fine.
The end of episode 12 showed she's better and back to her old skirt-lifting self. What's the point of following that up with her normal genki self in the next episode if they're just going to pull a 180 and have her mope all of a sudden? And I think you have some examples and correlations mixed up; we're not talking about "black or white" here. A person's personality/mood doesn't just shift around left and right out of nowhere, barring personality disorders and such, which I'm sure we can agree Saten doesn't have those.
Like I said, episode 12 was meant as a breather epiosde, wasn't meant to be any indication to anything in the actual storyline. If you think it's misplaced, well then it's misplaced, then. But it certainly wasn't meant to be any indication of Saten's status as proven in this episode.

I suspected this might happen but i didn't point it out earlier because I hadn't actually watched the episode yet, but my prediction was correct:
People don't just spontaneously mood swing as you said, but Satens case was hardly 'out of nowhere'. I'm pretty sure you (and Saten herself) can guess why she was having special classes in the first place. And other little things like it being a nice day and you having plans to go out with your friends and everything can have an affect. Besides, she wasn't really actually moping about it either. You can tell she's not very please but in the first half, she simply replied, "It can't be helped". She was more than active in the marathon running, that must've seem entirely pointless at the time. And afterwards, after that Spartan teachers speech she was considerate, rather than moping. And she was pretty pissed when that high school girl said there should be an easier way. "We cheated so it's obvious we should be here." is what she said. Is that moping? And Komoe sensei had confirmed that she wasn't actually moping but rather felt guilty about what she had done. Also that high school girl that was ranting, and that eyebrow lesbian girl were also showing that it wasn't really out of nowhere. In any case it was everyone else, except that big guy that was complaining. She wasn't complaining at all. She was just unhappy, which she was obviously going to be. You can hardly fault her for that.

Quote:
And thus you have illustrated my other point on the misplacement of this episode.
It is inconsistent because she's fine for a whole episode, then switches to mope-mode out of the blue. As I said, this episode should have been before the beach episode.
Only if you take it seriously enough. People are hardly going to call it out for such a little thing. Besides, like i said it was hardly out of the blue. She was fine in the beach episode because there was nothing to remind her of what she had done.

Anyway, I really liked this episode. It was meant to show some character development Saten had undertaken. Some may not have noticed but I noticed that she was actually concentrating in her class and making notes as well (even if they weren't particularly brilliant).
It was heartwarming too. 10/10 for me.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/7nitfum.gif

Last edited by Haak; 2010-01-09 at 08:44.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 08:01   Link #30
JokerD
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
But nice episode, I was rooting for Saten, was hoping that she developed something, but, it can't be that easy.
She got an A for clairvoyance, makes me think that she wants to see Uiharu's underwear without flipping up her skirt.
Spoiler:

Last edited by JokerD; 2010-01-09 at 08:16. Reason: Opps
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 09:24   Link #31
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Like I said, episode 12 was meant as a breather epiosde, wasn't meant to be any indication to anything in the actual storyline. If you think it's misplaced, well then it's misplaced, then. But it certainly wasn't meant to be any indication of Saten's status as proven in this episode.
A breather episode doesn't make this episode any less misplaced. And this episode would be a perfectly fine breather episode; everything is calmed down and all that's left is aftermath. So that's another reason for why this should have been after episode 12.
As for Saten's status, that's the very reason, as I've said, for why this episode is misplaced. As I also said, you don't just randomly place episodes in a series; you place episodes to make a flow of events and story. Having a character have a problem one episode, have no signs of it the next, then have that problem come back out of nowhere again in the third episode, upsets that flow.
They probably thought what you're saying; bring in the beach episode for a random fanservice filler breather, then come back with this episode. Problem is, it doesn't really work. You can't just sweep character dilemna under the rug for an episode like it never happened and go to the beach for fanservice filler, then bring the dilemna back out. This isn't a nonsense-comedy series like Seitokai no Ichizon, after all.

Quote:
I suspected this might happen but i didn't point it out earlier because I hadn't actually watched the episode yet, but my prediction was correct:
People don't just spontaneously mood swing as you said, but Satens case was hardly 'out of nowhere'.
Yes it did come out of nowhere; where was Saten thinking about any of this last episode? She recovers at the end of 12, goes through 13 without a single problem, now she's back to this in episode 14. You can't get much 180 than that.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you (and Saten herself) can guess why she was having special classes in the first place. And other little things like it being a nice day and you having plans to go out with your friends and everything can have an affect. Besides, she wasn't really actually moping about it either. You can tell she's not very please but in the first half, she simply replied, "It can't be helped". She was more than active in the marathon running, that must've seem entirely pointless at the time. And afterwards, after that Spartan teachers speech she was considerate, rather than moping. And she was pretty pissed when that high school girl said there should be an easier way. "We cheated so it's obvious we should be here." is what she said. Is that moping? And Komoe sensei had confirmed that she wasn't actually moping but rather felt guilty about what she had done. Also that high school girl that was ranting, and that eyebrow lesbian girl were also showing that it wasn't really out of nowhere. In any case it was everyone else, except that big guy that was complaining. She wasn't complaining at all. She was just unhappy, which she was obviously going to be. You can hardly fault her for that.
You seem to be going off-topic a bit here. I'm not talking about the philosophy or reasonings or exact description of mer mood here. I'm talking about how it's out of place for her to be going back over the whole thing after she was shown to be perfectly fine for a whole episode. Again, this should have been episode 13.

Quote:
Only if you take it seriously enough. People are hardly going to call it out for such a little thing. Besides, like i said it was hardly out of the blue. She was fine in the beach episode because there was nothing to remind her of what she had done.
Inconsistency isn't a little thing, and you apparently haven't seen much of people gong nuts over things that really are little. You'd be surprised what people call on in anime.
To be perfectly honest, if she really had to be reminded of what she'd done before coming to terms with it, then that's a major character fault. I'm sure we can both agree she's more responsible than that.
__________________

Last edited by Shinji103; 2010-01-09 at 09:50.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 09:25   Link #32
Bombo
TSF Fans
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Its enjoyable episode..More saten san please
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 10:40   Link #33
Haak
Come At Me Bro.
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
A breather episode doesn't make this episode any less misplaced. And this episode would be a perfectly fine breather episode; everything is calmed down and all that's left is aftermath. So that's another reason for why this should have been after episode 12.
I would certainly not consider this to be a breather episode. This is a very important episode that provides further character depth for Saten.

Quote:
As for Saten's status, that's the very reason, as I've said, for why this episode is misplaced. As I also said, you don't just randomly place episodes in a series; you place episodes to make a flow of events and story. Having a character have a problem one episode, have no signs of it the next, then have that problem come back out of nowhere again in the third episode, upsets that flow.
They probably thought what you're saying; bring in the beach episode for a random fanservice filler breather, then come back with this episode. Problem is, it doesn't really work. You can't just sweep character dilemna under the rug for an episode like it never happened and go to the beach for fanservice filler, then bring the dilemna back out. This isn't a nonsense-comedy series like Seitokai no Ichizon, after all.
Like I said. It's not misplacing in anyway if you don't consider a breather episode to have any indication of anything to the actual storyline. It's just like you said: Saten's status is the very reason why you consider it to be misplaced. But if you don't consider a breather episode to have any relevance to the storyline in anyway, then you won't consider it to have any relevance to Saten's status either. In which case Saten's status shouldn't come into the equation in the first place and thus Saten's status won't make you feel like it's misplaced. Whether or not it works is purely a matter of opinion. I'd say it works well if you have a more liberal definition of a breather episode before going in.

Quote:
Yes it did come out of nowhere; where was Saten thinking about any of this last episode? She recovers at the end of 12, goes through 13 without a single problem, now she's back to this in episode 14. You can't get much 180 than that.

You seem to be going off-topic a bit here. I'm not talking about the philosophy or reasonings or exact description of mer mood here. I'm talking about how it's out of place for her to be going back over the whole thing after she was shown to be perfectly fine for a whole episode. Again, this should have been episode 13.
I think you've misunderstood me here. Saten had genuine reasons to think about the Level Upper, this episode, because of what was happening around her. She was feeling guilt because she thought she was being punished. That's why she was 'moping'. Why on earth would that occur beforehand if the reason she's feeling guilty isn't there? She wasn't being punished by attending special classes for those that used Level upper in the beach episode was she? The problem for Saten this episode wasn't the same problem as it was before. In any case exact descriptions of her mood are relevant if you want to avoid over-simplications and errors.

Quote:
Inconsistency isn't a little thing, and you apparently haven't seen much of people gong nuts over things that really are little. You'd be surprised what people call on in anime.
Incosistency can be a little thing and it can be a large thing, but it's not always a large thing. Only two other people have made a note of it here and neither of them are that bothered, and have simply identified it as a small error on the producers part, rather than any implication to Saten's character.
Besides I've seen pettier debates. I've seen Serious Buisness debates on what would be the correct romanization of a japanese name, or what would be the correct definition of 'evasion' or whether or not it's possible to tell whether the next episode will be filler based on the preview. etc....

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, if she really had to be reminded of what she'd done before coming to terms with it, then that's a major character fault. I'm sure we can both agree she's more responsible than that.
Like i said i think you're simplifing it somewhat. It's not like you've either come to terms with it or not. You can see a difference in Saten already in her attitude, even before sensei's speech. The only thing she actually needed to realise was that she shouldn't feel guilty, because it was preventing her from trying harder. In the end, all the problems that made her use Level Upper in the first place are still there and are still going to be there. The point wasn't just to learn that using Level Upper was wrong. She already got that (though some clearly didn't). The point was to have a better and more positive outlook so that she'll be better off in the long run, and have some more self-esteem (since it was the lack of it that caused her to use Level Upper in the first place). Not just regarding the idea of resorting to desperate measures, but regarding the general attitude to towards Levels as a whole. She was already half way there. She just needed a little push in the right direction and some positive encouragement.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/7nitfum.gif

Last edited by Haak; 2010-01-09 at 14:43.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 11:45   Link #34
babohtea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Shinji103 and Haak, you guys are arguing about nothing. Shinji, Haak agrees that it was misplaced, but s/he also thinks it was a good episode. The only difference between you to is whether or not you like it, and you can just show that by voting.

For those that think its filler, this episode really wasn't. The anime studio already stated that they would be adding a lot more original content, so even if this isn't following the manga it's not necessarily filler. Heck, I think that the anime is doing a better job than the manga (with the exception of episode 13)
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 11:55   Link #35
Haak
Come At Me Bro.
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
Shinji103 and Haak, you guys are arguing about nothing. Shinji, Haak agrees that it was misplaced, but s/he also thinks it was a good episode. The only difference between you to is whether or not you like it, and you can just show that by voting.
Not just that. I just think he's taking it a little too seriously and shouldn't make any implications of Saten's character as a result of the misplacement, and just see it as a misplacement.

And yes I agree, this is definately one of the better examples of Adaption Expansion.

[edit]

Oh yeah, I'm a guy btw.
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/7nitfum.gif

Last edited by Haak; 2010-01-09 at 12:05.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 14:12   Link #36
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Inside my mind
I like this episode. It gave a chance for the minor characters to receive more screen time.

Looks like one yuri pairing is not enough for this series.

Glad to see they sneaked Komoe-sensei into the episode.
Considering the reason for the class, I guess the lack of a Touma cameo is to be expected.

The next episode looks interesting with the appearance of Skill-Out, and a Spider-Tattoo man. Makes me think of Inuyasha.
RPG_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 14:32   Link #37
Avegaille
Konori is kinky. =x
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Manila, Philippines
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
But nice episode, I was rooting for Saten, was hoping that she developed something, but, it can't be that easy.
She got an A for clairvoyance, makes me think that she wants to see Uiharu's underwear without flipping up her skirt.
Spoiler:
Spoiler for lol 4Koma for Konori:


That might be the case, hence why Saten got an A on it. xP

Well, as for how the episode turned up for me, the only good stuff I saw is the yuri between Jufuku and Saten... even though I prefer Saten more with Uiharu, but if another girl makes a move on Saten, well...

Lol, is it me or is Saten sitting in Touma's chair? Or at least, they're using the classroom Touma uses... idk.

Next episode... I can't wait... 8D
Avegaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 14:37   Link #38
Miraluka
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
The next episode looks interesting with the appearance of Skill-Out, and a Spider-Tattoo man. Makes me think of Inuyasha.
The spider tatoo guy reminded me Hisoka from HxH..... ewww
Miraluka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 14:48   Link #39
babohtea
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Is Skill-out mentioned in the novels?
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-09, 14:55   Link #40
Miraluka
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 25
Yes, but you should ask this in the respective thread because it can have spoilers.
Miraluka is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.