AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2010-01-07, 16:19   Link #1
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Aliens vs Predator 3

Supprised i've seen no mention around here of this yet.

Anyone else here a fan of the previous games or even the aliens films ?

Being a big big aliens fan myself I couldnt help but love the previous AVP games so obviously i'm pretty dam excited for this.

For those not aware its multiplatform and penned for February 16 of this year and its going to be OTT pant wettingly awesome.

Also yes that is Lance Henriksen !

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 03:15   Link #2
BakuDan
Let's count up your sins!

Owned both AVP1 and AVP2 game. Dod i love a good scare, but I still cant get my self to play marine campaign. The one that bought me on avp3 is the predator's trophy mode and the amount of gore in it.
BakuDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 06:52   Link #3
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Great! I hope they fix the combistick and assault rifle this time round.

From the video, it seems that the Predator can grab and choke/trophy the human with its off hand. Certainly looks like fun. I wish they would bring back the Xenoborgs from AVP1, they are fun enemies to fight.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 08:34   Link #4
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Yes, finaly a new AvP Game. :3

The only thing I don't really like that much are the trophy kills.
If you could get the trophies after the fight, sure no problem, but taking them during the fight seems a little silly and un-predatorish to me. Ah well, maybe it's just the nerd in me speaking.

I hope the multiplayer will be fun as it was in AvP2. Life Circle FTW!
Old 2010-01-08, 11:26   Link #5
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Some of the multiplayer modes sound pretty awesome so i'm sure we'll be well catered for.

First up theres infestation mode which is sort of an elimination type which pits a single alien against a team of marines and for every marine the alien kills another alien spawns in their place. Finally when only one marine remains they're tasked with evacuating to a set point on the map (there is also a co-op version of this mode that pits the player against a multiplying horde of AI aliens).

Next up theres the Predator Hunt mode which is similar to the infestation mode except it pits a single Predator against a squad of Marines. If a marine manages to kill the Predator they become it, and the goal is to secure the most kills as the Predator for the glory of the hunt.

Other than that it has the usual 3-way team deathmatch modes that we all know and love.

Although for me its the single player campaigns that i'm really looking forward to especially the marine campaign.

Last edited by Drake; 2010-01-08 at 14:20.
Old 2010-02-05, 16:55   Link #6
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Wow. Just wow!

I never saw that much chaos in the German internet community until now.

SEGA already mentioned a while ago that they won't release AvP in Germany.
Most German gamers didn't care, as they were planning to import the game from the UK or Austria anyway.

But now a German SEGA support worker mentioned in a mail that AvP may not be playable on Steam with n German IP.
You can guess that the community is now a strange mixture of panic and rage.

As I'm one of the people who wanted to import it I'm pretty affected myself, and... well pretty pissed, hoping that it is not true.

Well, atm we Germans can do nothing but to sit and wait until we get some more official word.
Old 2010-02-05, 17:06   Link #7
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Apparently, the humans/Marines are pretty weak and have no redeeming quality beyond cannon fodder (figuratively and literally.)

Apparently, several marines could CF (abbreviation for 'Concentrated Fire') a predator, and they would still not win. OXM reinforces this idea (No idea if they exaggerated on this, however.)

Aliens have my vote. able to scale walls from ambushes, can impale a player on the tail, and fleeing enemies tend to realize how slow they really are when compared to an Alien.

Alien (Ambusher, basically)
Predator (Ambusher, but highly offensive and defensive.)
Marines (Screwed.)
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 17:26   Link #8
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice Cross View Post
Alien (Ambusher, basically)
Predator (Ambusher, but highly offensive and defensive.)
Marines (Screwed.)
Remember that Aliens have the least health of all. A single M40A grenade can turn it back into the primordial soup it is made from. If only they fix the AI on the "fire in advance to compensate for movement" for the marines.

But it would be nice to play as an alien up an evolution tree. You start off as a facehugger, then drone, then evolve into a Praetorian, then finally, after the Queen dies, you take over and avenge your brood.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 18:06   Link #9
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Ahh, you do have a point then... Unfortunately, that 'primordial soup' sort of churned my stomach, vivid imagination, you see.

I'm looking forward to Evolution tree, as well. Playing as a facehugger would have it's moments.

Though, Predators are cool as well. Since they can 'Cloak'.

"Just get in a large pool of water and hope it renders their cloaking useless so you can attempt to perforate" OXM said on a review, lol.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 18:46   Link #10
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

AvP Demo is already in Steam since yesterday but the demo release fail .
No server , Config command take year so they did many updates .
I got 2 updates and the demo won't work so i deleted it .

My friend finally played it today and he said that i didn't miss something , the Multi gameplay is not as good as we think .

Here a some videos :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1SL89UKFwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJfaxnhM-To

I'm not convinced .
For the solo , it remains to be seen .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 18:54   Link #11
zibi88

well this demo is a pre-release (from 10months... simply first working mp demo)... it was a port from console.... but the real stuff will have dedicated servers and server lists.... so dont judge the whole product from a beta-demo

the same it contains the worst posible type of game which is 8player DM... on 1boring map ^^

anywya PC will have max to 16players... while consols if I guess 8players... so lets wait for full game and than gave score than say anything from this beta-demo ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice Cross View Post
Ahh, you do have a point then... Unfortunately, that 'primordial soup' sort of churned my stomach, vivid imagination, you see.

I'm looking forward to Evolution tree, as well. Playing as a facehugger would have it's moments.

Though, Predators are cool as well. Since they can 'Cloak'.

"Just get in a large pool of water and hope it renders their cloaking useless so you can attempt to perforate" OXM said on a review, lol.
well there wont be any life cycle... so no facehugger play >__<.... but about predators and their cloak and water... yes water takes the cloak down ^^ (just like in movies)
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 19:10   Link #12
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Kinda miffed that the demo is standard deathmatch only and has no team play modes...

Its just to chaotic and besides who plays standard DM mode anymore anyway ?

Other than that I managed alright when playing as marine once I got into the flow of it.

You just need to get the nack of melee'ing back aliens and preds at close range then finishing them off with your pulse rifle/shotgun.

Old 2010-02-05, 20:23   Link #13
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well hope it'll be better with the Full game .
Cuz finally i tried the Demo (but got deco after 4 games lol ) , that was meh . And Demo bugged make me restart all config lol

About the race :

- Human : Their weapons are deadly , a few bullets , you can kill Alien and Predator easily .
100 bullets in a magazine for the rifle , better get the rifle instead of shotgun(8bullets) or flamethrower(close range)
They got Radar which will show you enemies position . So , it's easy . Also an adrenaline(something like that )
You can cross yeah . Cross + Shoot -> Win .

- Alien : Run fast , Claw (close range ) , use their tails for a longer range attack , can walk on the ceiling , can parry attack(close range) , can sense close enemies so you can see their aura behind objects , walls etc ..
Behind enemies back you can use the deadly attack .

- Predator : Can use Invis ( but Alien can see you ) , can throw a "shuriken" and a "laser"? also a lure ,
use claws 1 basic attack , 1 strong attack , use deadly attack too . Can parry too .

For me , Humans are win . Better be in a large area otherwise in the small area where there are medkits .

Aliens got me headache after some minutes . Deadly at close range cuz parry and use tail for Predators/Aliens , for Humans run fast on them (you can also parry their cross)

Predators are good cuz they got invis but easily spotted by Aliens(sense) and Humans(radar)
Deadly at close range like Aliens .

Better wait for the full game yeah but still , a demo is supposed to make us gamers , convinced for the game and give us the desire to see more .

Last edited by -Sho-; 2010-02-05 at 22:09.
Old 2010-02-06, 07:26   Link #14
zibi88

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Better wait for the full game yeah but still , a demo is supposed to make us gamers , convinced for the game and give us the desire to see more .
well they didnt even wanted to release a demo... they did it on a whim becouse people wanted to see it... and get little of the abillities, atmosphere and stuff like this...

anyway after seeing this demo dotn you want the desire to see the end product ? xD

I guess giving a single player demo would be hard becouse it would spoil too much about the story ect.

personaly I dont look on the demo like it should convince me to buy it... become im fully aware that its a pre-releasee with lots of thing missing (the same a pure multi-platform port)... the same time im aware on how things will look like in full ver.

so I kinda used this demo to see what kind of atmosphere it will have...since its DM type I wont cross out the dame yet..... need to see the rest of game types (well in avp2 I loved TDM... rave vs reace ^^)
Old 2010-02-06, 07:32   Link #15
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Of course this looks interesting , i liked the trailer , the predator but this is just the Demo Multiplayer who was bah .
Well , i played BFC 2 Bêta and it convinced me .
I'm waiting for the full game test .
Old 2010-02-06, 20:18   Link #16
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
...it contains the worst posible type of game which is 8player DM... on 1boring map ^^
I downloaded this, and have got to agree with you: FFA is not this game's strong suit... quite a few folks are instead setting up impromptu team battles, which are highly entertaining.
Some pointers about CQB:
  1. light attacks can be blocked, which leaves the attacker open to a quick counter;
  2. heavy attacks are unblockable, but have perceptible 'spin-up time' and are out-prioritized by light attacks;
  3. the xenomorphs' and yautja's 'trophy kills' (as distinct from stealth kills) can be blocked/countered like light attacks - timing is key!

Warning: if you do manage to pull off a trophy or stealth kill, you're totally vulnerable for a couple of seconds. This has been reported to result in one of two things:
  • a 'conga line' effect wherein A stealths/trophies B, only to be immediately thereafter dispatched in a similar manner by C, who... et cetera, et cetera; or
  • marine or less hot-blooded yautja happens across the situation and proceeds to gun/plasma-caster/smart-disc the lot down
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 10:47   Link #17
zibi88

well im a team-based player ^^ its sad that we have to kill our own kin... alien killing an alien >__< predator killing predator...

it looks strange ^^ after few games and after learning how to grip the situation and controls its fun ^^.... but still need to wait for full game to get team-based game types to be fully happy (since pure DM [FFA] doesnt suit AvP series... this series is race vs race [team-based... so a TDM would be better suited here]

hmm well I would be glad if they made similar thing like it was in AvP2 a spawn-protection... simply if we dont move [even with mouse] but just standing still... we are shielded from spawn-killing... but when we even budge slightly the shield is gone... this is simply for the case of connection problems/ or short time afk (toilet for example ^^)

other thing is the stealth kill...I had so many times a chain situation... I killed someone from the back... and as it ended I ended up beign killed from the back... >__< I would be glad if they made a 1-2sec shield after the animation ended so we could have at least a slight chance to protect ourselfs.... but still this might be a good thing... since we are under a choice... kill normal way but risk with counter and death...... or do a stealth kill and risk someone comeing from the back... (double choice)

well the game itself is hmmm well not for everyone... more like its for fans and those who loved previous avp's games... so there will be those who loved it and those who hate it...

its like with MW2... first I loved it with thinking that it will be as awsome as MW1 multiplayer...... but then 2weeks before the release we hear no dedicated servers... 12-16playersmax (cant remember but it was small nr)... and a p2p system to it...... It was a huge let down and so as a result I didnt buy it and I canceled preorder.... later I played multi on friends house (and he borrowed it later so I could play singleplayer at home)... and I said damn good thing I didnt buy it ^^ since it was soo lagy duo p2p and not dedi... and so small maps that it was FAR FAR behind the gameplay from MW1.... singleplayer was hmmm funny I guess (not becouse it was good but it was so bad ^^) since the story was total bs for me (each map was like waiting for another wave of several enemies... you go few meters further and another wave of enemies come.... it was boring and predictible for me)

so well there were people who loved the new MW2... but tehre were those who hated it (like me).... but still avp3 in my opinion will great... got my pre-order so now its only waiting for it and training in demo MP XD
Old 2010-02-07, 15:45   Link #18
cerrian

Anyone know how it compares against Natural Selection?
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 18:27   Link #19
amaius

i kinda weird, the predator reboot comes out this summer, i wonder if the game have something to do with the movie.
amaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 19:05   Link #20
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Anyone know how it compares against Natural Selection?
You cant really compare the two as they're really quite different.

Natural selection has always hinged more on strategy and resource management than actual combat.

The only real similarities in the two are that they both have marines and aliens that can run on walls.

Amaius I highly doubt it.

Last edited by Drake; 2010-02-09 at 19:34.