AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 59 44.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 29.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.75%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.24%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-03-03, 16:27   Link #2221
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Considering Lęvateinn is a mythological sword to begin with, seeing any realistic designs would be quite hard.
It have the name of a mytological sword, it isn't a mytological sword(i tough of him as one in the past but no ancient sword would break so easily xDU) just a pretty old armed device with a cool name. I expected to see a less "toyish" look for him during the A's movie, hope it happens.

...4 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 16:55   Link #2222
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Ah, I though that's what you meant by 'more real' (more true to the actual weapon).

But I doubt we'll see a more realistic weapon. Lęvateinn already looks quite decently like a real sword as is, and if the movies' designs of Bardiche and Raising Heart (especially Raising Heart) are anything to go by they will more likely get overhauled to look even more techy, not less.
Old 2011-03-03, 17:07   Link #2223
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I'll give them points if they find a way to redesign Klarer Wind to look even flashier.
Old 2011-03-03, 17:46   Link #2224
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Signum: Is that... Klarer Wind?
Shamal: Of course, why do you ask?
Signum: Well...
Klarer Wind: Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Old 2011-03-03, 17:47   Link #2225
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Klarer Wind: Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
I hope they knows the location of Mount Doom.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 20:25   Link #2226
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Having never seen a single nanosecond of Nanoha (heh) before watching this movie, I was a little concerned. From what I had read in reviews, Nanoha was an otaku pleaser - moe characters, shallow plot, and yuri everywhere. In exchange, there would be lazer beams and explosions. Well, whatever. I decided to watch the movie anyway.

The first half disappointed me. I got the action I wanted, but the pace of the movie was staggering. First Nanoha finds this injured ferret, then suddenly a monster attacks them. Gasp! Transform with nudity! A personal note - I find it creepy that Raising Heart speaks English. Almost as if the movie was made for non-Japanese speakers to watch. Then, some more school life that has no importance anyway... and suddenly this cool, dark magical girl appears. Nanoha and this mysterious figure talk while battling, disrupting the flow of good action. Blast, talk, blast, talk. Something about Jewel Seeds. Giant explosions! They're about to fight again when a guy comes out of the sky and... arrests them. Turns out this movie is actually Xenosaga for children, space ships included. Back on Earth, the dark mysterious magical girl makes the ocean mad, and gets saved by none other than Nanoha. Lazer beams. End first half.

The second half partially redeemed the first. Fate (the mysterious girl) and Nanoha battle again, this time with less talking and more beam-spamming. Yay. Fate's mother is revealed to have been a magical scientist who failed in her research, and she hasn't been quite right ever since then. Fate is fighting for her mother's sake. She goes all out with the whole Dragon Ball Z barrage, followed by Vegeta's Final Flash in lightning style. Surely Nanoha is toast. But no! Nanoha floats in the sky, gathering energy from the surroundings... and launches the pink Spirit Bomb directly at Fate. Massive pink explosion. I do not know why Nanoha would have thought to rescue Fate from drowning after launching the mother of all Spirit Bombs at her (which annihilates everything BUT Fate). Anyway, Fate's mother is pissed; she raises an army of monsters because the movie needs to continue. It is then revealed that Fate is an artificially made human made to resemble a real, soul-dead girl. Nanoha and Fate fight off the monsters with more lazer beams and yuri friendship. As Fate tries to reconcile with her mother, the ship collapses and Fate's mother falls into an abyss. The final 10 minutes are Fate and Nanoha blushing at each other.

This is proof that lazer beams, gratuitous English, and yuri do not add up to good anime. Lazer beams alone would have worked better. Still, the giant explosions were nice to look at.

Rating: 7/10
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 21:13   Link #2227
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

You should watch the sequel Nanoha a's. You will enjoy it, or at least I'd like to think you will.
Old 2011-03-12, 21:16   Link #2228
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
A personal note - I find it creepy that Raising Heart speaks English. Almost as if the movie was made for non-Japanese speakers to watch.
Actually, the presence of gratuitous English is an indication that it was made for Japanese viewers ; English is foreign in Japan and thus more 'exotic'. Consider it the anime version of Latin chantings frequently seen on Hollywood movies

Quote:
Still, the giant explosions were nice to look at.
Ah, a kindred spirit!!!
Old 2011-03-12, 22:13   Link #2229
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, it is an alien device. It's unlikely it would speak either language. English is foreign to the target audience, I suppose.

Reminds me of Death Note's lampshade that English is a very popular language.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-13, 04:22   Link #2230
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
You should watch the sequel Nanoha a's. You will enjoy it, or at least I'd like to think you will.
Seconded, A's is less focused on the ambiguously yuri friendship of Nanoha and Fate and give much more space to exciting battles xD.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-03-13, 06:35   Link #2231
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

I never really saw much yuri implications between Nanoha and Fate. I really just thought they were really good friends that went through a lot.

Until StrikerS. Then I'm just like "come on, you writers stop beating around the bush please!"
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-03-13, 06:50   Link #2232
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

On screen romance? In my Nanoha?!

Points at Movie manga c15

Quote:
We are definitely attracted to each other...

...to be friends

But seriously? I'm glad there was no actual text between the nine-year olds
Old 2011-03-14, 20:55   Link #2233
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
But seriously? I'm glad there was no actual text between the nine-year olds
Hasn't stopped the fandom yet, that's for sure.

Also, dang, movie manga is up to chapter 15 already? I have to get some time to catch up on that, I'm way behind.
Old 2011-03-14, 21:35   Link #2234
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
they are old enough fro cell phones, they are old enough for inexplicable crushes, i had one in first grade :P

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-15, 09:28   Link #2235
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Hasn't stopped the fandom yet, that's for sure.
Well duh! Their premium grade shipping goggles allows them to see their particular ship even when walking inside a dark underground cavern kilometers away from any source of light while being quadruple-blindfolded

As for me, Eros (Romance) is the least type of love to tug my heartstrings, with Storge (Affection-Family) being most favorite. That's why I liked the moments between Linith and Fate best
Old 2011-03-16, 23:59   Link #2236
DSPaul

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find any mention of it on the thread. Does anyone know where to find English subtitles for the in-character commentary track, or even just a translation? Thanks.
DSPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 00:53   Link #2237
Arcc
Knight who says D'ni

Spoiler for personal review:

Last edited by Arcc; 2011-03-17 at 03:56.
Arcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 04:15   Link #2238
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

With your last complaint -- between the series and the movie, nothing much changed. The main difference is time constraint. Fate was given more time to come out of her catatonic state which may of given a larger impact, I guess. In the movie, it did feel a little rushed during that part.
Old 2011-03-17, 12:05   Link #2239
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcc View Post
A footnote: I ain't furry, but Arf's new casual-dress form seriously almost gave me a heart attack. Twice. I could stand to see more of that.
You're not alone, Arf became very notorious on this movie and "normal-human" Arf take my attention BIG TIME xD. It's hard to not look at her with a casual shirt, jeans and no Dog Ears/Tail. Plus, the movie made her into the most Badass Familiar on screen(Zafira will have one hell of a challenge to top that in the sequel xD).

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-03-17, 12:42   Link #2240
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Good points Arcc. The "zomg Fate's getting back up scene" didn't seem as strong in the movie. Personally, I thought it was due to the fact I didn't like the insert song as much compared to the tv series.

As for Precia having more of a backstory-- well, to me that actually makes her more messed up. A raving loon, you can just say "they're freaking crazy". But for someone to actually know what they're doing is wrong, yet they just didn't give a damn is more disturbing to me. It's just at that very last second Precia's like "wait, what the hell did I do all this crap for?"
MyAnimeList || Reviews