AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 59 44.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 29.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.75%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.24%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-07-01, 13:17   Link #2241
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Finally watched this last night.

Though I'm a huge Nanoha fan, I was largely satisfied with the original Nanoha season (and I heard that my main dissatisfaction with the original Nanoha season was not addressed in the movie, more on that later), and hence I never felt a pressing need to watch a movie reboot of Nanoha's first season. It was one of those things that I always planned to eventually do, but kept putting on the backburner. Well, that finally changed thanks to the encouragement of Archon_Wing and Demi.

Before I begin, I can give you the short version right now: Read Kaijo's posts on this movie on this thread, lol. I agree almost entirely with every point he made. My only major difference of opinion with Kaijo is that I think this movie is a good one for first-time viewers. In fact, I'm going to make my boldest statement on the movie right now: This movie is the perfect anime to use as a gateway anime for a DC/Marvel comics fan.

This movie is so much like recent DC comics animated movies that it's not even funny. The pacing, Precia's backstory and overall style, the handling of fight scenes, Nanoha's characterization... it all felt very western comic book-esque to me. Nanoha has always been closer to DC/Marvel comics than most anime shows, but this movie brings it close enough to become the ideal gateway anime for a comic book fan. If you have a friend who likes comic books, and you want to get him or her into anime, show him or her this movie.

But that aside, I will now get into my pros and cons for the film. Done in spoiler space below to save space.

Spoiler for Nanoha the MOVIE 1st thoughts:



All of the above put together, I'd give the movie a 9/10. On the whole, it's about as enjoyable to me as the original Nanoha TV series was. It's better in some ways, worse in others, and so it all cancels out for me personally.

At the end of the day, I love both the TV series, and the movie, and would recommend both to any anime fan that likes mecha and/or magical girls.
__________________

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-07-01 at 13:39.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 15:27   Link #2242
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Interesting read, Triple_R, since you managed to bring up points never discussed in this thread, and thus you seeing this movie was a good thing.

As for the visuals, I saw a massive jump in quality, at least for animation. It's very, very fluid and contains a lot more movements than the tv show during fights. Well, except those stills during the Nanoha/Fate fight, that whole fight was a letdown in both, I felt; good, but missing something.

That being said, due to the change of the aesthetics and character designs, it might not have looked as good as it could. Then again, I usually don't separate animation and other stuff in the visuals category. I suppose Nanoha looks too shiny, like she accidentally swapped outfits with a Starcraft 2 Protoss unit. >.>

I actually didn't like the tv series part after Fate falls into the water too much. Mainly because when Nanoha asks Fate "are you okay?" I burst out laughing. (You just nuked her, is that a rhetorical question? )

Chrono's entrance is probably the most unique point I've noted in this thread. That's a good point, Chrono has always been shafted much as we go along, though not as badly as Yuuno.

Loli tits.... ugh. And I was trying to show my friends that this is not a pedo show! :// They seemed to have cleaned up it everywhere but there.

Vs. Precia.... yea they never thought of that very well did they.

But yea, I was pretty disappointed due to most of your cons (plus the Fate salvation scene at the lab's collapse being cut) , though like you I managed to derive quite a bit of entertainment from it. I do feel the movie seemed to work better for those that weren't large fans of the first season. (If you did like season 1, you might have felt that this wasn't that necessary. Plus lack of certain details can be frustrating. )

Which is why I hope A's movie will be different this time around, since most people into this are probably not in need of remaking or 'correcting" A's.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 15:33   Link #2243
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
I just hope that some of they guys here tone down that hype (because best animated movie evur? I have seen much better). Because I was disappointed, and the other reason I did not rate it any lower is that the more hardlined fans here don't take "trolling" very well and I was not in the mood for a shitstorm. And compared to the guys at nihonreview, I was being nice.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 15:41   Link #2244
Mirron
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Mirron Send a message via MSN to Mirron
I'd say it was probably my favorite animated movie. But then again, I really like Nanoha. I know it's not something everyone, or even most people, will agree on. Doesn't help I can't really think of any animated shows I've watched barring Disney and comic movies, which isn't the best to try and knock Nanoha off, at least for me.
Mirron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 15:43   Link #2245
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I just hope that some of they guys here tone down that hype (because best animated movie evur? I have seen much better). Because I was disappointed, and the other reason I did not rate it any lower is that the more hardlined fans here don't take "trolling" very well and I was not in the mood for a shitstorm. And compared to the guys at nihonreview, I was being nice.
If someone's opinion of a work can be that seriously affected by hype, I don't think their opinion is worth much at all. I mean, one should always form their own opinion first and take all others with a ton of salt until they've actually watched it.

Plus Nihon Review's writing on that movie was trash anyways; they might as well say "It's not Shinbo, it sucks", while ignoring that most people recognize that the best of the Nanoha franchise was definitely not the first season but A's which had nothing to do with him. It didn't stop them from namedropping Shinbo twice, while not explaining clearly what the fuck that has to do with anything.

The only other valid argument was that the movie lacked in originality, which I agree with, but you can't really spin that repeatedly into an argument. And yes the loli part I despise, mind you.

Yet, I see no mention of streamlining the plot, or excising things that broke the narrative in the original series. You know, like actual concrete arguments, instead of abstract standards of originality.

It still doesn't change the fact that this is probably the best entry in the Nanoha franchise since Strikers (to a lot of people), and admittingly, that's not much, but I'm sure you can understand why people would be pleased.

Every series has its ridiculous proponents. Madoka Magica has ridiculous fans that hype that series to the moon, and even though I can easily put that series in my top 5 (No Nanoha work is in my top 10), I can see that. So I wouldn't worry about this, at least for people who's opinions do matter.

Besides, aside from a few fanboys, I don't really see anyone being too ridiculous. Well, you could point to the poll, but every AS poll is like that when it comes to a special production.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-07-01 at 15:56.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 21:30   Link #2246
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I often find that the best way to judge something based on a poll, is to take the absolute top ratings and bottom ratings... and remove them. This gets rid of the trolls and fanboys, and what you have left are the more reasonable raters. Average what's left to get a good idea.

Anyway, regarding Triple_R's points... I do have to kinda backtrack on a point he talks about, regarding not being a good movie to show to a new viewer. I still technically maintain that, but I did manage to show the movie to one of my anime groups, and got them interested. It works, as long as they don't question the two following points:

"Why is Nanoha so mature?"
"Why does her family let her wander off on her own for days at a time?"

The series doesn't do a perfect job in answering these questions(and you have to go to extra materials to get the best answers), but at least it tries. I was hoping the movie would consolidate it more. It hurts that Arisa's blowup at Nanoha was severely cut along with that backstory, as it formed Nanoha's main motivation for reaching out to Fate.

So, as a superficial "ooh, explosions and fights! Ka-Pow!" type movie to wow new people, it can work.

I still maintain that the Fate/Precia backstory should have been cut, as the series proved you didn't really need it for the plot. And then they could have released a 2 or 3 part OAV that has Fate reflecting back on it (perhaps finding Linith's diary) as it relates to a current situation. And we all know Fate fanboys would gobble it up, so that's more $$$ to be made.

Oh, and I disagree about Nanoha's barrier jacket; I DID love the movie version of it. And the red ribbon is gone by StrikerS anyway. :P I think it was only added to make Nanoha seem like a magical girl, but we all know how quickly she shredded that particular expectation...

Anyway, interesting points, heh. I still don't think it was a bad movie, per se. Just not quite what I wanted from a movie reboot.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 21:32   Link #2247
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
The red ribbon is still there in StrikerS, actually.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 21:34   Link #2248
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
The red ribbon is still there in StrikerS, actually.
I should have clarified; it's gone from Nanoha's Exceed mode in StrikerS. It's only on her Aggressive Mode barrier jacket.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 21:45   Link #2249
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pekanbaru (UTC+07:00)
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I still maintain that the Fate/Precia backstory should have been cut, as the series proved you didn't really need it for the plot. And then they could have released a 2 or 3 part OAV that has Fate reflecting back on it (perhaps finding Linith's diary) as it relates to a current situation. And we all know Fate fanboys would gobble it up, so that's more $$$ to be made.

Oh, and I disagree about Nanoha's barrier jacket; I DID love the movie version of it.
It's pretty understandable though on why the Fate/Precia got added; while it didn't advance the plot it did gave us the reason the plot started. The story was focused on Fate. (FYI I'm not a Fate fanboy. I prefer Demon Cannon Girl)

And Arisa was a minor character. Long time fans would recognize her, but most first time viewers would go "wait, who're you again?" unless the Movie give her significant screen time, and they just don't have the time for that. If Arisa's blow up on Nanoha was left while her presence in the story was not, then viewers would go "hey, who're you to judge? It's not like you know anything!"

I suspect Suzuka would get better screen time on A's considering it's her knowing Hayate that finally brought the final story part into gear

And the Barrier Jacket was nice.
__________________
Tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 22:03   Link #2250
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, I'm not going to argue at length over the red ribbon, since it mostly comes down to personal aesthetic taste of course.

But I do think that losing the red ribbon might be symbolic of the Nanoha franchise losing sight of the magical girl side of its excellent magical girl/mecha fusion.


That in turn may help to explain this anime's success...

(Just so people know, that last sentence is tongue-in-cheek, lol)


Anyway, good points, Kaijo. I agree with you that Nanoha in the movie probably could have used a bit more fleshing out. Perhaps a few minutes more should have been given for the backstory between Nanoha and Arisa.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 02:51   Link #2251
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

It still doesn't change the fact that this is probably the best entry in the Nanoha franchise since Strikers (to a lot of people), and admittingly, that's not much, but I'm sure you can understand why people would be pleased.

In despite of some narmy moments, how badly Yuuno have been downplayed, the movie is a good test sample for the franchise.to anyone who want to test the waters. But it is not The Best Animated Movie Ever that some earlier in this thread have made it to be. This is what I am trying to get at.

PS: And the flashbacks still have not made Precia more sympathetic.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 02:54   Link #2252
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
People care about Yuuno? j/k

But yes, it's not what I'd call a classic. Hopefully A's movie will be something else of interest.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 03:02   Link #2253
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

PS: And the flashbacks still have not made Precia more sympathetic.
Yeah, I have to question the flashbacks.

If the goal was to make Precia more sympathetic, then they failed, big time.

If the goal was simply to get Precia's rationale/motivation across, I can think of much more time-efficient ways of doing it.


So, yeah, this is also an area where I agree with Kaijo. The Precia flashbacks were nice, but certainly not essential.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 16:56   Link #2254
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Berlin, Fatherland
I found Precia very sympathetic in the movie. Giving more focus to her moments with Alicia really made me feel bad for her and I could understand her despair.
Takamura Mamoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-06, 21:27   Link #2255
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
Just watched the movie, and as usual I just don't get what people are complaining about. The movie was a rather well handled summarized version of the first season, where the most important plot points were conserved and the characters were rather well fleshed, at least the 2 protagonists and Precia (which is all that matters, really). The movie succeeded in portraging Precia as a tragic villian, someone whose actions you understand, but cannot condone. This is something rather difficult to do, and in my opinion they succeeded in here, and was the aspect of the movie that I liked the most.

The production values were top notch, and I don't think I have anything to complain about other than minor nitpicks here and there which don't really detriment from the movie's overall entertainment value.

9/10
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-07, 21:45   Link #2256
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I suppose I never really had much interest in Precia in the first place, even though she was technically the Big Bad. Sure, she fulfilled her role as a loon who abuses her daughter just because she can, but the brunt of the conflict comes from Nanoha and Fate. Precia herself had about 0 depth anyways. That's not really a problem; you were supposed to hate her anyways.

The biggest reason why I feel this way, is that her exit doesn't require her to be defeated in either story. Where does the series climax? Nanoha vs Fate is where everything is at stake. When Precia died in the first season, I was like good riddance! There was really no urge to redeem her or whatever. [Also, note that Nanoha puts all that effort into saving Fate, but she doesn't give a shit that Precia's dead ]

Movie Precia... well, I guess yea, her actions are still not to be condoned and that's pretty much it. She's still a raving loon, and sure we see that she wasn't always like that. But that only makes sense; she's not crazy til she loses her daughter. But that's what the purpose of the antagonist is; you're not really supposed to feel bad for them-- though context is better regardless, just because we like to fill out our characters' background.

Though Alisa's role with Nanoha being reduced does reduce Nanoha's character motivation quite a bit. Everyone else, well... I never really missed them anyways, even Yuuno means nothing to me, so whatever.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-07, 22:14   Link #2257
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
I have no place for sympathy for Precia in my heart. I'm all for going to extremes to accomplish something, but most of Precias actions played no role in reviving Alicia -- it was all out of hate. Hate for someone she created. Someone that had just as much feelings as the person she was trying to revive. And not only that, she made impossible expectations for her. Nothing she did or could do was ever right, and when Precia knew she was screwed...What did she do? She used her final moments to traumatize Fate even more.

I'd have plenty of sympathy for a mother who lost her child, but is she reacts by unloading a gun in the hospital that "let her die"...I certainly wouldn't be very sympathetic towards her anymore. My sympathy would instead go out to the people who were shot down for no reason. Or perhaps to her child who died. Definitely not her.
__________________
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-07, 22:25   Link #2258
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
There's no shame in feeling sympathy for a rabid dog that you have to put down. This is the same case. What you feel bad for are the possibilities that will never be able to become true, for the human and the genius that was lost. Because at the very end in the second before her death, karma was evil enough to let her realize her folly instead of letting her die drowned in her insanity.

There lies the tragedy.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-07, 22:43   Link #2259
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
Well, rabid dogs are put down for far less than what it would take to put down a person. It was probably abused half its life, and finally retaliated one day, wounding its owner -- not even killing him. So yeah, I'd feel sympathetic towards it. And they're more geared towards instinct, anyways.

Sure, I think of what happened as a tragedy, I just lack the sympathy for Precia. I'm sure some serial killers have some kind of tragic past, but even if I hear it -- the terrible things they've done will surely outweigh what sympathy I would have had for them otherwise. My point is, just because bad things have happened to you, if you react by doing even worse things to someone else..."that poor thing" is going to be the last thing on my mind.
__________________
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-07, 22:46   Link #2260
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Well, rabid dogs are put down for far less than what it would take to put down a person. It was probably abused half its life, and finally retaliated one day, wounding its owner -- not even killing him. So yeah, I'd feel sympathetic towards it. And they're more geared towards instinct, anyways.
... rabid dogs are rabid because they have rabies. I think you're thinking of the word "feral" instead, and even that's not the most correct word, I think.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.