AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 59 44.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 29.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.75%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.24%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-02-03, 19:16   Link #341
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Demi, seriously, why are you even bothering anymore? It's an opinion thread; we don't all have to agree with each other on everything. That's part of the fun of it, you know? So someone doesn't agree with how you see things; so what? Why is that such a big deal? I'll admit that the debate goes both ways, but you aren't making it any easier by constantly calling us out on it when we disagree or dislike some small aspect of the movie and the characters.
So people can quote my post and comment, and yet I can't reply back to their comment?

Duly noted. For a later time.

Quote:
To a degree, I'll grant that the second crying thing possibly isn't as jarring as the first one was. I am just explaining why people see that it's different and see it as a plot hole.

You are free to suspend your disbelief even farther than some are willing to, however. That's cool, as we all have her own thoughts and feelings. You don't have to agree with them, but rather than mock people who don't agree with you, it might be helpful to try and understand where other people are coming from.
Last I checked, there is only two crying scenes - The one I posted an image of (which doesn't even qualify as crying) and the bridge scene. You did see which scene we were debating, didn't you?
__________________
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 19:17   Link #342
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fate's futon ofc
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
The scene where Fate is on the edge of the huge cliff with her arm reached out as if to grab her mother (she was falling towards her death) evoked a high level of empathy from me. I'd really love to see that in the movie, the overall clarity, detail, depth, and impact of it all is simply fabulous.
__________________



ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 19:22   Link #343
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
So people can quote my post and comment, and yet I can't reply back to their comment?

Duly noted. For a later time.
I admitted it goes both ways. I've hardly been fair to you, and I know that. But it goes both ways with you and calling us out on our posts just as we call you out on yours. I haven't been fair to you, and I'll admit that, but you haven't been much better either.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 19:22   Link #344
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Last I checked, there is only two crying scenes - The one I posted an image of (which doesn't even qualify as crying) and the bridge scene. You did see which scene we were debating, didn't you?
I'm referring to Emoha in general. I admit the later scenes might not have been so bad, if we didn't see how badly they messed with her character early on for... again... inexplicable reasons.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 19:26   Link #345
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I'm referring to Emoha in general. I admit the later scenes might not have been so bad, if we didn't see how badly they messed with her character early on for... again... inexplicable reasons.
Orz, the movie manga had nothing to do with this discussion.

I'm fully aware the obvious differences in Nanoha's character there. The Emoha was still getting on my nerves because people were making long discussions (negative ones, no less) out of a single page...When they could have cared less about the rest of the manga.

The movie manga is an AU of the anime movie, apparently. As such, they don't necessarily coincide, and Nanoha is nothing like that in the movie.

Ladies and gentleman...I give you, "Emoha"


Quote:
I admitted it goes both ways. I've hardly been fair to you, and I know that. But it goes both ways with you and calling us out on our posts just as we call you out on yours. I haven't been fair to you, and I'll admit that, but you haven't been much better either.
At least we're consistant, in that it's the same arguement every single time.
__________________

Last edited by Demi.; 2010-02-03 at 19:37.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 19:35   Link #346
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kappas' country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Honestly, I kinda have to agree with Demi. on this one. You guys seem to be blowing it a little out of proportion. Nanoha has tears held in the corner of her eyes, which tends to come naturally to young girls around heartwarming moments. Its not like she's bawling her eyes out and making a complete mess of herself.
^ That, exactly. Maybe should we wait to watch the movie and the full scene before to scream that her character was completely ruined because we perceive tears in the corner of her eyes, nope?
It doesn't make her a less likable character that to show some emotions : especially when she is 9 and that her friend, that she thought was probably in a terrible state, comes to her rescue.
The point is that Nanoha is not and has never been a robot or some kind of cold-heart superhuman. She always had strong feelings that make her able to fight actually. Taking the opportunity of the Movie to highlight this fact, by making her show more of her emotions, seems wise enough.

Now if some people insist to scream " OMG Emoha11" every time this 9 years old girl express even the slightest human feelings, fine. But they should know that they sound slightly retarded by doing so and realize, because this is about time, that this Movie isn't their usual mecha show.

tl;dr : I love Nanoha more sine I've seen those cap. Thanks Demi..
__________________
Nina.Wolken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 20:35   Link #347
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: huh wha-?
I don't like crying Nanoha because it makes me go WTF 7ARCS. There, I've said it. Sue me.
__________________
Nya~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 05:39   Link #348
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
The bridge scene would like to have a word with you. (And so would the time Vivio was kidnapped)

Speaking of which, didn't she cry as well during the sound stages, when she was talking to Fate about something while Fate was still on the Asura? I forgot what it was exactly...has been awhile.

Not that I have any problem with that, if you were going WTF 7ARCS back in the original series, but the point it, she's very capable of crying. Everyone complains she's too mature, and when she shows "child-like" emotions,(very justified ones, no less) people get bent out of shape.
__________________

Last edited by Demi.; 2010-02-04 at 06:29.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 12:29   Link #349
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
For the last time, there is nothing wrong with crying. There is nothing wrong with Nanoha crying. I know you love that straw man argument, but that's not the point.

The point is Nanoha acting *differently* and thus not being Nanoha. That's what people have a problem. If you can't see and appropriately respond to this point, then discussion is pointless.

I will concede one point, however: I was not quite aware the movie manga was an AU of the AU movie, still under the impression they were linked. If that is the case, then the movie bumps up a bit in my opinion (and the manga remains low). I will have to see the movie to better determine how much Nanoha has changed.

But the fact remains: There is no need to bash someone else for their opinions. No one is doing that to you, and yet you continually strike out at people that think differently than you.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 12:57   Link #350
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
It has come to the point where everytime I post an image of Nanoha crying, a nagative comment follows by the same people. I consider that "lashing out at me." I'm tired of it, and if people are going to continue to do it, I will not simply shrug it off. Though I don't recall 'bashing' some one.

And kaijo, that image I just posted. In your opinion, is that out of character for Nanoha? Because frankly, as I said, the movie manga has nothing to do with this discussion. I wouldn't get so defensive if I didn't think people were just trolling the thread, because they want everyone to look at the movie as negatively as they do.
__________________
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 13:38   Link #351
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
It has come to the point where everytime I post an image of Nanoha crying, a nagative comment follows by the same people. I consider that "lashing out at me." I'm tired of it, and if people are going to continue to do it, I will not simply shrug it off. Though I don't recall 'bashing' some one.
Keroko said something awhile back: "Quickest way to stop it is to ignore it. If you choose to respond to it, you really shouldn't be complaining when people respond back to you about it."

Anyway, it was mainly this line that made me respond:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
I get it, any scene that's not the bridge scene - Nanoha is forbidden to have tears in her eyes.
That wasn't the point at all, and yet you keep trying to harp on this strawman. Take a moment to honestly try and understand what people are trying to say to you. If you don't want to, then at least stop complaining when someone declares they don't like this Nanoha.

Say it with me: It's *okay* for someone to have an opinion about the movie that differs from your own.

Quote:
And kaijo, that image I just posted. In your opinion, is that out of character for Nanoha? Because frankly, as I said, the movie manga has nothing to do with this discussion. I wouldn't get so defensive if I didn't think people were just trolling the thread, because they want everyone to look at the movie as negatively as they do.
I'll have to see things in full context before I make up my mind about it. I already admit that part of my dislike was based on the assumption the movie manga and the movie were in the same AU, as I apparently missed the part where someone said they were different AU's. I didn't like the movie manga's Nanoha.

Part of the reason I like Nanoha, is because she's strong, not prone to breaking down and crying all over the place about things like her perfect life. I disliked Usagi from Sailor Moon because she cried at the drop of a hat(though I hear she gets better). I don't want Nanoha to be Usagi.

I want a strong heroine.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 13:57   Link #352
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
I ignored it.

Quote:
That wasn't the point at all, and yet you keep trying to harp on this strawman. Take a moment to honestly try and understand what people are trying to say to you. If you don't want to, then at least stop complaining when someone declares they don't like this Nanoha.
That is the point. People are crying wolf about Emoha before they know anything about the movie themselves. They see Nanoha tear in any scene that not the bridge scene, and it's right back to Emoha. They don't know what "this" Nanoha is, hence they shouldn't be allowed to complain or make statements they can't confirm.



Quote:
I'll have to see things in full context before I make up my mind about it. I already admit that part of my dislike was based on the assumption the movie manga and the movie were in the same AU, as I apparently missed the part where someone said they were different AU's. I didn't like the movie manga's Nanoha.

Part of the reason I like Nanoha, is because she's strong, not prone to breaking down and crying all over the place about things like her perfect life. I disliked Usagi from Sailor Moon because she cried at the drop of a hat(though I hear she gets better). I don't want Nanoha to be Usagi.
That's the problem, they have yet to see the full context and yet they still make claims.

Nanoha is a strong heroine, but she will cry on her friends behalf. Which is exactly what she's doing in that scene. She's not bawwing her eyes eye, she's not even crying. It's simply a few tears for her friend, and yet it gets the Emoha label slapped onto it by some.

I've yet to see one review, or one comment from some one with actual knowledge of the movie - that has yet to make a statement about how Nanoha's character has changed. In-fact, all I ever hear is how similar she is to her t.v. counterpart.
__________________
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 15:46   Link #353
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Hey guys? I just checked the original series episode involving Fate reuniting with Nanoha and Yuuno and Arf after she and Nanoha blasted a big hole in the Garden of Time.

And you know what? While Nanoha was watching Arf hug Fate and Fate comfort Arf, she had tears in the corner of her eyes.



So can we all stop bitching about this now?
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 16:49   Link #354
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
But debating about the fact that none of us agree with each other is fun!
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 16:51   Link #355
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
So can we all stop bitching about this now?
The tears weren't the point much. Been trying to point that out for the past few posts. >.>
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 16:55   Link #356
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
The tears weren't the point much. Been trying to point that out for the past few posts. >.>
Kaijo, I get what you're arguing about and I respect that, because personally I share the same viewpoint. But eventually you have to throw in the towl and accept that people have their opinions on things, and sometimes those opinions won't change.

Jeez, but I wish the movie was subbed right now. The Gurren-Lagann movie was subbed relatively quickly.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 17:03   Link #357
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
'tis hard to sub a movie when no raws are available.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 17:04   Link #358
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
The tears weren't the point much. Been trying to point that out for the past few posts. >.>
Well, if there's more to this argument now, feel free to continue the debate about that. But the origin of this argument was "Nanoha has tears in the movie when she didn't in the show, so she's Emoha!" That part's now concluded now that its proven that the movie scene was being faithful to the show. So I'm hoping that aspect of the argument no longer appears concerning this scene.

I'm just irritated I didn't think to check the episode right off the bat when the argument started. >.<
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 17:07   Link #359
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
'tis hard to sub a movie when no raws are available.
Yeah, true. It would still help kill a lot of these debates though if we actually had something to discuss.
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 17:12   Link #360
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Kaijo, I get what you're arguing about and I respect that, because personally I share the same viewpoint. But eventually you have to throw in the towl and accept that people have their opinions on things, and sometimes those opinions won't change.
Taking the hint, and throwing in the towel!

As for the movie, I'd make due with the translations that I could read from a page. We already pretty much know how the movie goes, but how certain things are worded would be interesting to know.

One of these days, I'll learn more than 9 or 10 words in Japanese...
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.