AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 59 44.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 29.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.75%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.24%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-02-05, 20:40   Link #381
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

It shows she is a very devoted and caring familiar.
...With a hint of awesome for spice.

Those biceps~!

Last edited by Demi.; 2010-02-05 at 21:53.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-05, 23:43   Link #382
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Seriously, I know it's mainly a Curb Stomp Battle, but I hope that the fight scene between Arf and Precia gets some lovin'. It might not have ended well for her, but IMO that was Arf's Crowning Moment of Awesome in the series.
Darned right! You know, the whole business of the Wolkenritter deciding to collect pages in A's is basically a rehash of that: the servant (Arf/the Wolkies), deciding to disobey their master's wishes (Fate's desire to help and serve her mother/Hayate's desire that the Wolkenritter live peacefully without collecting pages), for the sake of the master's welfare (Fate getting to live happily without abuse/Hayate's life being saved) while risking their own lives in the process. The difference is, Arf's is so much more effective because on the one hand, she's alone instead of having a group of comrades to work with her, and on the other hand, she is fully aware of just how much Precia outclasses her in the power area (while the Wolkenritter, by contrast, know that they've completed the Book before, so that they actually can anticipate success in their mission).
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 00:08   Link #383
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
It shows she is a very devoted and caring familiar.
...With a hint of awesome for spice.

Those biceps~!
Holy crap, Arf! Have you been working out or something? I don't remember her looking that threatening in the series! And hey, looks like Precia isn't even putting up a fight this time around; or at least she's waiting until Arf lets her guard down to blast her halfway across the room.
Old 2010-02-06, 00:37   Link #384
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Darned right! You know, the whole business of the Wolkenritter deciding to collect pages in A's is basically a rehash of that: the servant (Arf/the Wolkies), deciding to disobey their master's wishes (Fate's desire to help and serve her mother/Hayate's desire that the Wolkenritter live peacefully without collecting pages), for the sake of the master's welfare (Fate getting to live happily without abuse/Hayate's life being saved) while risking their own lives in the process. The difference is, Arf's is so much more effective because on the one hand, she's alone instead of having a group of comrades to work with her, and on the other hand, she is fully aware of just how much Precia outclasses her in the power area (while the Wolkenritter, by contrast, know that they've completed the Book before, so that they actually can anticipate success in their mission).
This is all true, however, Arf is not bound by her masters orders. She's pretty much free to do anything she wants, although Arf does obey for the sake of loving her master.

The contract between the two are -

Fate: "Thy flesh/body and spirit/soul thou possess, is free to pursue thy personal wishes and way of life to thy satisfaction. Even if those desires conflict with thy Master’s, or take thee to lands far from thy Master. Thus thy Master pledges to fulfill this contract until the end of thy Master’s life."
(The reason I made Arf, my familiar is because I didn’t want her to die. So, it doesn’t matter afterwards, if you, Arf, want to leave me or want to go somewhere else. I won’t resent or use you if you want to live your life as a free wolf.)

Arf: "I, familiar Arf, upon my honor/soul (fibre of her being) and pride as wolf, shall protect Fate’s heart and body to the very bitter end and for that end use all resources at hand for that purpose."

So in that sense, Arf protecting Fate is priority above obeying Fate's every command.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiantbeam
Holy crap, Arf! Have you been working out or something? I don't remember her looking that threatening in the series! And hey, looks like Precia isn't even putting up a fight this time around; or at least she's waiting until Arf lets her guard down to blast her halfway across the room.
I'd explain Arfs sudden buffness, but I'm sure you know what I'd say.
Old 2010-02-06, 00:47   Link #385
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
This is all true, however, Arf is not bound by her masters orders. She's pretty much free to do anything she wants, although Arf does obey for the sake of loving her master.

*snip*

So in that sense, Arf protecting Fate is priority above obeying Fate's every command.
All true, but the point is that Arf has decided to put Arf's own judgment of what constitutes Fate's well-being ahead of Fate's judgment of Fate's goals. That's a huge leap for someone who basically fills a "servant" role, regardless of whether she's been bound by magical force or not. In essence, this is where Arf decides that "protect Fate" means "being Cool Big Sis for the 9-year-old who is actually showing the judgment of an abuse-victim 9-year-old" rather than "defend Fate physically in battle."
Old 2010-02-06, 00:53   Link #386
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I know, and she made the right decision. Clearly, watching Fate get tortured is enough to make one realize that kind of environment is not healthy for a child(or anyone, for that matter)

"Even if those desires conflict with thy Master’s"

Luckily, Fate added that little tidbit into their contract.
Not that Arf wouldn't have done the same, regardless. But I just find it cool they made a contract that actually warranted Arf making that decision over the latter.
Old 2010-02-06, 00:57   Link #387
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
I know, and she made the right decision. Clearly, watching Fate get tortured is enough to make one realize that kind of environment is not healthy for a child(or anyone, for that matter)

"Even if those desires conflict with thy Master’s"

Luckily, Fate added that little tidbit into their contract.
Yeah, otherwise Arf would be stuck following Fate's orders. No surprise that Fate would put it in, though; most people making familiars are "creating a magical servant," while Fate was "saving a dying animal's life" and just wanted Arf to be able to live on just as she would have normally, without restraints.
Old 2010-02-06, 05:32   Link #388
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Pretty awesome image. Looks like Fate's beaming electricity out of her right eye, lol.
Old 2010-02-06, 09:24   Link #389
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

No.

Fate: *fwing* Over there!

NEWTYPE REACTION. =3

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 11:05   Link #390
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

A masked Jail Scaglietti? DO WANT.
Old 2010-02-06, 13:38   Link #391
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Fate just always keeps evolving and unveiling new techniques every time I see her. Absolutely stunning.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 18:50   Link #392
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Is it just me, or in that picture with Arf does Precia look like she has a cut, or a bandage, or something on her head, covered by her hair? Was she hurt before Arf confronted her? In the original season I think she was coughing up blood, but that's about it.
Old 2010-02-06, 18:54   Link #393
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Is it just me, or in that picture with Arf does Precia look like she has a cut, or a bandage, or something on her head, covered by her hair? Was she hurt before Arf confronted her? In the original season I think she was coughing up blood, but that's about it.
I see the line that'd make you think that, but no, that's not a bandage. Notice how the skin color is the same on either side of the line.
Old 2010-02-06, 18:56   Link #394
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I see the line that'd make you think that, but no, that's not a bandage. Notice how the skin color is the same on either side of the line.
Hmmmm.... maybe a line or string or something that holds a stone in place against Precia's forehead? Because at first I thought it was her eyebrow, but now that I'm looking closer it's too far up on her face.
Old 2010-02-06, 19:17   Link #395
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Hmmmm.... maybe a line or string or something that holds a stone in place against Precia's forehead? Because at first I thought it was her eyebrow, but now that I'm looking closer it's too far up on her face.
Looks like it. Also you can tell its not her eyebrow since you can already see her eyebrow. =X
Old 2010-02-07, 04:13   Link #396
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Hey if anyone wants to see Tamamura playing a character that has a lot of crying scenes, check out kaito tenshi twin angel ova ep 2 (2 ep ova, watch em both, its pretty copy paste of you name it mahou shoujo, but it deconstructs the genre on top of that )

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 21:11   Link #397
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

I must be thinking of the wrong thing but isn't Twin Angel a hentai without nothing to do with magical girls...?

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 21:34   Link #398
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
Hey if anyone wants to see Tamamura playing a character that has a lot of crying scenes, check out kaito tenshi twin angel ova ep 2 (2 ep ova, watch em both, its pretty copy paste of you name it mahou shoujo, but it deconstructs the genre on top of that )
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I must be thinking of the wrong thing but isn't Twin Angel a hentai without nothing to do with magical girls...?
If itanshi is talking about the Twin Angel I'm thinking of, you're both right: it's a hentai that deconstructs (or just parodies) the magical girl genre.
Old 2010-02-09, 21:50   Link #399
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Well, when you think about it MGLN is a spin-off of a hentai game, so....
Old 2010-02-09, 22:03   Link #400
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
If itanshi is talking about the Twin Angel I'm thinking of, you're both right: it's a hentai that deconstructs (or just parodies) the magical girl genre.

Not that we'd know, of course.