AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 59 44.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 29.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.75%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.24%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-03-08, 07:42   Link #1121
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kappas' country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
You haven't been hearing much then xD
I've heard many stupid things, but nothing like left-handed people were supposed to be homosexual. It just doesn't make any sense... Is that an US saying or something?

In topic : Henshin scenes don't bother me that much when it's quick and not repeated countless times. It's just another form of fanservice (the epitome of it actually). And we all know that fanservice is for a good part the reason of the success of this serie. Nothing new~
__________________
Nina.Wolken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 07:44   Link #1122
FRS
Lurker on the threshold
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: France
Age: 37
Demi:

Yes you were making a generalisation, as long there are people not caring for henshin and watching those show you are making a generalisation.

About your view on the origin of revenu, i am sorry but you are wrong, look at the US comics or video game indudstry, you can not expend and thrive by only catering to the hardcore fans, there is simply not enough of them.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 07:54   Link #1123
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
That's funny, because that's exactly what Nanoha does.

Sorry, but Japan is not the the same as the US industry. Probably something to do with how anime originated from Japan. It would be imposible to accomplish in the US. I don't even know of any hardcore fan over here. There are a ton over there.

What I do have is statistics, and I've frequented enough sites to know how desperate these fans were to retrieve filmstrips. For starters, there was roughly 15,000 filmstrips from the start. The only way to receive a filmstrip is to rewatch the film three times. Well, guess what? There are no filmstrips left. That means 15,000 people rewatched the Nanoha movie at least three times. Certainly none of those were casual fans.
__________________
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 07:57   Link #1124
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: huh wha-?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
I've heard many stupid things, but nothing like left-handed people were supposed to be homosexual. It just doesn't make any sense... Is that an US saying or something?
Of course it sounds stupid. don't ask me from whence it originated - like all old wives' tales, the origins are obscure. And i wouldn't know about whether it's a US saying. I've been hearing it across varying english media for quite some time already.

What you seem to miss from my original post due to your abundance of ignorance was the irony of the dexterity orientation not corresponding to the old wive's tale.

Then again, you and Demi probably can never see subtle, disguised humour from me even when it dances naken in front of you two wearing nothing but a tea cosy.


Sorry Demi.. we try to believe you. but all you do is give us(or do not even give) sites that do not contain complete statistics. Imcomplete statistics, of course, do not form a conclusive premise for an argument.

You also speak of how it's Japanese audiences and not US. But do you TRULY understand the Japanese audience? All you have are stereotypes and thirdhand information. again, not a conclusive premise.
__________________
Nya~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 08:11   Link #1125
Demi.
Ass connoisseur
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Age: 27
Quote:
Sorry Demi.. we try to believe you. but all you do is give us(or do not even give) sites that do not contain complete statistics. Imcomplete statistics, of course, do not form a conclusive premise for an argument.
Oh, is that so? I remember giving statistical facts earlier and they were all but ignored.

Quote:
You also speak of how it's Japanese audiences and not US. But do you TRULY understand the Japanese audience? All you have are stereotypes and thirdhand information. again, not a conclusive premise.
2chan, hundreds of movie frequenters pouring in with their comments, etc. Pretty much all of them dropping by only to say they're ready to go for another watch. And a whole lot of talk about filmstrips and their unquenching desire to have them.

And I don't really need a conclusive premise to know there was originally 15,000 filmstrips, and now there are zero.

Expecting plenty of comments for when I return, but for now. I rest.
__________________
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 08:38   Link #1126
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
I said henshins were a staple in Mahou Shoujo, which is true. And then some one tried to argue that nothing would be lost if they were removed. And that is how it all began.
Actually, it all began when you claimed they were critically important to the genre. But we can play the blame game all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Raging? Perhaps not. Though some would. And a lot of others would be disappointed. As I said, it would be equivalent to one of the more popular scenes of the first season being removed. Nanoha isn't great in parts, but as a whole it shines. The henshin is part of the package.
You're giving them more credit than they deserve. Again, I point to Hayate. The fans of Hayate, even the hardcore ones, are more concerned with her screentime, battle scenes and plot development than her lack of a henshin. That part is more of an afterthought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
The majority in terms of numbers does not mean the majority in terms of profit. That's like saying the majority of taxes comes from the middle to lower class (which is the majority) when in reality, the top 10% richest people pay for roughly 70% of all taxes.
A flawed comparison, to say the least. Taxes are hardly the same as marketing, where the target has the option to ignore paying you completely by not buying your product, and one pays the same regardless of income.

The marketing doesn't lie, if hardcore fans were a more profitable way of earning money, then the companies would target them. They don't. Sure, they may have products that attract the hardcore and beat more money out of them (like those filmstrips, for example), but the media as a whole is targeted for a bigger audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Anywaysss we can go on doing this forever and ever, but without any reliable it's kind of fruitless. I just think the niche fanbase is far larger in Nanoha than you think.
Indeed, and I do not. The very reason they are called niche makes them a minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
And I forgot to point this out, but Nanoha movie broke the "merchandise sold" record that was previously set by Evangeline...By 167%, no less. Considering Eva's massive popularity, I doubt that could have even come close to being pulled off without the 'niche' fans.
Why not? Casual fans can buy merchandise as well, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Oh, is that so? I remember giving statistical facts earlier and they were all but ignored.
Must have missed that, can I have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
2chan, hundreds of movie frequenters pouring in with their comments, etc. Pretty much all of them dropping by only to say they're ready to go for another watch. And a whole lot of talk about filmstrips and their unquenching desire to have them.
Remember, they're called a vocal minority for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
And I don't really need a conclusive premise to know there was originally 15,000 filmstrips, and now there are zero.
Yes, but as you pointed out, one hardcore fan alone can spend enough money to get 10 of them. Which either goes against your claim that one fan spends a hundred times the money as an entire group of casuals, or the claim that there are more hardcore fans then casuals.

Of course, 15.000 hardcore fans in an entire country is not at all that surprising a number on its own, and let's not even get started on the less legit manners of acquiring these flimstrips.
__________________

Last edited by Keroko; 2010-03-08 at 09:06.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 08:40   Link #1127
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: huh wha-?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Remember, they're called a vocal minority for a reason.
you forgot to emphasise the other point too :3
__________________
Nya~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 08:59   Link #1128
FRS
Lurker on the threshold
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: France
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
That's funny, because that's exactly what Nanoha does.

Sorry, but Japan is not the the same as the US industry. Probably something to do with how anime originated from Japan. It would be imposible to accomplish in the US. I don't even know of any hardcore fan over here. There are a ton over there.

What I do have is statistics, and I've frequented enough sites to know how desperate these fans were to retrieve filmstrips. For starters, there was roughly 15,000 filmstrips from the start. The only way to receive a filmstrip is to rewatch the film three times. Well, guess what? There are no filmstrips left. That means 15,000 people rewatched the Nanoha movie at least three times. Certainly none of those were casual fans.

Err the Anime industry is shrinking in Japan, that's why you will see more and more studio trying to export show overseas and outsourcing to reduce cost.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 09:32   Link #1129
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nanoha Used Car Dealership. RERISE!
Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
define watched Demi, sounds like some percentage of them wanted a quick buck

Its still hearsay evidence, go interview them

I'll fill you in on a little secret, Demi,
Spoiler for spoiler text for your sanity:

I, frankly, don't care who the primary audience is or what that audience really needs in the show. I don't need to know this. I only fear losing substance to cheap thrills. We are all bored, passing time with this malarkey.
__________________
For those that belittle their favorite characters, complain about pairings, complain about oversexed images. Stop, thank you.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.

Last edited by itanshi1; 2010-03-08 at 09:47.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 09:45   Link #1130
leodamine
Divine Akuma
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008


This is all I can say about the downward spiral of this topic.

EDIT: A bit off topic, but I forgot I wanted to ask Keroko where you got that beautiful Sanae picture for your sig.
__________________
I wish I had a cool quote to put here

Last edited by leodamine; 2010-03-08 at 09:52. Reason: forgot to add something
leodamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 10:50   Link #1131
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: huh wha-?
aptly put, leadmine. nicely described indeed. but don't worry, you'll get used to all this. Demi and his bunch of overly devoted fanboys; Demi pulling doubtful stats out of his ass; my taunting and disbelief at what he says; Keroko's earnest efforts to make Demi see sense.... Don't worry, you'll get used to it.

danbooru is always the way to go. nothing beats the sheer satisfaction of digging through hundreds of pages until you find what you're looking for.
__________________
Nya~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 10:51   Link #1132
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
It is the debate that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...
__________________
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 11:06   Link #1133
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leodamine View Post
EDIT: A bit off topic, but I forgot I wanted to ask Keroko where you got that beautiful Sanae picture for your sig.
Like Nya~n said, I got it off Danbooru. Though to spare you the task of digging through 5175 images, here you go. I'm looking for a good Suika image for my new sig right now, so you can swipe my sig if you want to as well.

Anyway, back to the Nanoha movie, while we're on the subject of henshin scenes, has there been any info on a henshin for Chrono? That'd be some fanservice I'd be looking forward to.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 11:08   Link #1134
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base in the rectum of Pacific Ocean
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post

danbooru is always the way to go. nothing beats the sheer satisfaction of digging through hundreds of pages until you find what you're looking for.
I prefer pixiv. Danbooru is heavily biased, you can see it by the many downvoted comments the instant a Yuunoha is posted.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 11:23   Link #1135
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: huh wha-?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Anyway, back to the Nanoha movie, while we're on the subject of henshin scenes, has there been any info on a henshin for Chrono? That'd be some fanservice I'd be looking forward to.
You cannot imagine how much i WANT this to happen now that you mention it.
__________________
Nya~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 11:36   Link #1136
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I prefer pixiv. Danbooru is heavily biased, you can see it by the many downvoted comments the instant a Yuunoha is posted.
Pixiv is harder to navigate if you don't know where to grab your kanji though. Not to mention you'll have to wade through six times the amount of images, half of which are of significantly lower quality as well.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 16:00   Link #1137
leodamine
Divine Akuma
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
So this is an everyday thing for you guys huh....Well w/e >_> back to the movie talk

Is it me, or do they use screens a lot in Nanoha? Like, they constantly have each other watching each other's actions through the use of these omnipotent screens. It's just...odd if you will
__________________
I wish I had a cool quote to put here
leodamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 19:27   Link #1138
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: huh wha-?
universal rule of cool - always have a holographic screen hanging around. No piece of furniture is a rad as a holoscreen.
__________________
Nya~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 02:57   Link #1139
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nanoha Used Car Dealership. RERISE!
Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Nadesico had those screens, but so totally mocked them. One of them appeared crosscutting some poor fool's skull. I so miss that show.
__________________
For those that belittle their favorite characters, complain about pairings, complain about oversexed images. Stop, thank you.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 03:51   Link #1140
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: On bended knee asking Belldandy to marry me
Not to mention real time communications across vast distances in space. Magic is truly a wonderful thing.
__________________
Mushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.