AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-26, 22:15   Link #1921
Jao
panchi~

Subbed rip now available. God bless Doki.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Old 2010-11-26, 22:23   Link #1922
aers
*Fansubber

*snort*

10ch
Old 2010-11-26, 23:38   Link #1923
ChronoReverse

Anyone have just the subtitles file?
Old 2010-11-27, 05:12   Link #1924
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

I fucking KNEW this would be released while I'm sleeping. asoosadjoiasdjIHATEEVERYTHING.
Old 2010-11-27, 11:45   Link #1925
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Amazing.
Everything was animated perfectly. A lot was removed, but the important parts were there, so I didn't mind.
Now I'm curious to see how will they do the A's movie.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

Old 2010-11-27, 11:52   Link #1926
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

That was the best Starlight Breaker.... ever.
Old 2010-11-27, 12:05   Link #1927
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

It was the first starlight breaker with modern animated...So naturally.
Old 2010-11-27, 12:40   Link #1928
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Ah, and what did all of you think about Precia's final lines? I've always wondered if Precia's rejection after Fate's moving little speech was just to showcase how much of a jerk she was, or if it was her way of giving Fate a chance at being happy. You know, to drive her away so she didn't get dragged down with the collapsing Garden. It seems the Movie really went for the latter; Precia has some softer features, and the lines she uses aren't so much "I hate you now and forever" as much as "I told you to go away". Hell, she almost smiled when she said it.
Old 2010-11-27, 12:52   Link #1929
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

She probably regretted what she did to Fate after, and only after Fate gave her little speech. And even more after recalling what Alicia always wanted while falling into the abyss. Considering she was being her typical b**** self a little while earlier, which made Fate go camatose. She definitely had a different reaction (during that final scene) in the movie compared to the series, though.

It is kind of hard to make Precia a b**** to the very end considering how much they went out of their way to give her backstory, and tell what a good person she supposedly used to be....But this also means she was never crazy, just desperate and determined enough to do all those things for a false dream.
Old 2010-11-27, 14:18   Link #1930
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post

It is kind of hard to make Precia a b**** to the very end considering how much they went out of their way to give her backstory, and tell what a good person she supposedly used to be....But this also means she was never crazy, just desperate and determined enough to do all those things for a false dream.
Craziness isn't as permanent or easily defined a state as is usually thought.
Old 2010-11-27, 17:11   Link #1931
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Just watched it.

So...

OH MY FUCKING GOD THE AWESOMENESS IS RAPING MY EYES

THE ANIMATION QUALITY! THE FUCKING ANIMATION QUALITY!

AND THE FIGHTS! OH GOD THE FIGHTS! I'VE NEVER SEEN SUCH AWESOME, WELL-ANIMATED FIGHTS IN ANIME.

OH GOD.

...Yeah.

Also, Arf was fucking badass.
Old 2010-11-28, 05:14   Link #1932
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

OK, so this is supposed to be a movie made by Midchildan recounting Nanoha and Fate's encounter. So, my first big surprise is "Wow, they dare to make a naked transformation knowing the White Devil would be watching this. They sure are brave."

As for Precia... She said she noticed too late. My interpretation is that she had a moment of clarity after she fell. Sorta clarity, because she wasn't gibbering in terror at the idea of falling forever...
Old 2010-11-28, 09:22   Link #1933
Funkatron
Highly irregular

I'm actually happy they created more of a bond between Nanoha and Raising/Raging Heart by having their little training sessions. RH also had a lot of lines in the movie and they were a lot less Engrishy. I especially liked the moment when RH finally called Nanoha master.

One bad part though: they completely glossed over much of BNanoha's interaction with her family throughout the movie, including the whole explanation why Nanoha was away chasing a McGuffin thing.
Old 2010-11-28, 09:37   Link #1934
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'm generally wary of the whole season into a single movie bit, but I've seen good reviews of the remake so I'll give it a shot later or tomorrow.
Old 2010-11-28, 10:54   Link #1935
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Both as a movie and as a retelling of the original series' story, I think the Nanoha Movie holds up fine on its own. In fact, it tells all of the points of the original series while cutting out all the padding, making this a good "gateway" title if you will into the Nanoha series.

It also helps that the animation is way better than in any of the three seasons so far. Particularly all the combat animation, which is the best of any Nanoha work to date, even beating out A's in my opinion due to how dynamic everything was. They also amped up EVERYTHING in terms of power, including DAT FREAKING STARLIGHT BREAKER. Actually, that's a massive understatement I can't put into words .

Perhap's the movie's biggest improvements though was how they gave a whole lot more meat to Precia's backstory, making her that much more sympathetic. In the series, she came across as someone who cracked and became demented over the loss of Alicia. Perhaps the tone and presentation over some of the parts that made it from the series is similar, but giving additional context to Precia's actions and motivations through flashbacks focusing on her has the nice effect of finally making her more understandable at an emotional level, rather than the logical level. Show, don't tell essentially. On a related note, Linith finally gets more screentime and backstory, and even as a flashback character her concern for both Fate and Precia comes across incredibly well, if painfully short.

There are some nitpicks though, including Chrono getting the shaft in action screentime (his awesomeness against the attack mecha were cut ). Also, some personal nits include RH and Bardiche's voices. Both are good in execution, but somehow I'm not sure whether I like them being much more "animated" in tone so to speak. I like that they deliver more lines, and Raising Heart's mentor role to Nanoha is further shown here. But they're more "lively" now, as opposed to their somewhat "robotic" voices in the series, which I think was a charm point for them. Bardiche in particular no longer sounds like an "awesome butler with deep voice" type, even though it's still the same VA.

If there's something the movie does best though, it's maintaining the magical girl feel of the first season, while still adding hints of some of the more edgier elements of A's and StrikerS (like corporate meddling). However, I'm of the opinion that much of the tone of the 1st Season and the Movie being quite similar means that if a person didn't like the tone of the 1st season, then I don't think the movie will change their minds unless they're people who simply wanted more awesome action.

Now to see whether they can maintain or improve on the quality of storytelling and animation for the Movie 2nd

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2010-11-28, 11:41   Link #1936
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
It also helps that the animation is way better than in any of the three seasons so far. Particularly all the combat animation, which is the best of any Nanoha work to date, even beating out A's in my opinion due to how dynamic everything was. They also amped up EVERYTHING in terms of power, including DAT FREAKING STARLIGHT BREAKER. Actually, that's a massive understatement I can't put into words .
Seconded, and an understatement indeed.

The story was good and all, but what really blew me away was the animation and the fights. My body was not ready for that.

I mean, jesus christ, that final battle of Nanoha and Fate... That dogfighting, such awesomeness...
Old 2010-11-28, 13:39   Link #1937
X10A_Freedom

Watched the movie. Definitely wasn't bad and it filled in some holes about Fate and Precia which was nice. The aerial dogfighting in the movie reminded me of some WWII action!

I may have been missing out on the animation/art due to watching DVD-quality but it didn't seem much better than a good TV series in 2010. That said, visuals of course are much better than the prehistoric original Nanoha series! As for the sound and magic, I think I got totally spoilt by playing Magical Battle Arena (doujin game) which had some awesome effects! Well, I always felt the Nanoha franchise never got the budget it deserved in the anime and this movie as well.

Good and enjoyable movie overall, lots of action but still emotionally packed on the Fate side to twist your heart a bit. Notable mention is Tamura Yukari's voice acting in the movie. It was much smoother and the annoying squeakyness was mostly gone which got me to appreciate Nanoha as a character far more than before.
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Old 2010-11-28, 13:47   Link #1938
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
I may have been missing out on the animation/art due to watching DVD-quality but it didn't seem much better than a good TV series in 2010. That said, visuals of course are much better than the prehistoric original Nanoha series! As for the sound and magic, I think I got totally spoilt by playing Magical Battle Arena (doujin game) which had some awesome effects! Well, I always felt the Nanoha franchise never got the budget it deserved in the anime and this movie as well.
Yeah, you have to more compare it to it's seasons than to other 2010 titles. It definitely stands high animation wise among 2010 anime, but when you compare it to its other seasons, it just blows them away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron
One bad part though: they completely glossed over much of BNanoha's interaction with her family throughout the movie, including the whole explanation why Nanoha was away chasing a McGuffin thing.
Also, McGuffin thing? What's that supposed to be in Nanoha? Jewel Seeds?

I wasn't aware Nanoha originally had a reason to seal them aside from helping out Yuuno.

Last edited by Demi.; 2010-11-28 at 14:52.
Old 2010-11-28, 15:37   Link #1939
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I dunno, the animation seemed about equal to what I saw in Season 1. Maybe a bit better. I assume if I were actually watching the Blue-Ray in HQ on an HDTV, it would probably be much better. A TV series has to fit a production schedule, thus why some things are reused, speed lines are used, a lot of still frames, etc. as well as other tricks in order to meet the time constraints. But movies (and OAVs) aren't as set to schedules, and can take the time to animate things right.

With that said, onto the review (and keep in mind, I watched the camrip on youtube, heh).

The Good:
-The animation. I know I said above it was about the same, but since there weren't too many "tricks" used, everything was animated, which made it flow a bit better visually.

-The fights. Came out a bit better, obviously. Although I'm finding I like them a wee bit better, I actually am beginning to like the S1 Nanoha vs. Fate fight a bit better. At the least, it's hard for me to pick a favorite, due to the pros and cons they both have. But at the least, we have more animated fights in the movie, which is a plus.

-Precia/Fate/Linith backstory. This is a pro and a con. It's a pro because it's nice to see it animated and thus flesh out Fate's backstory more, but compared to the movie manga backstory, it leaves a lot blank, such as Arf's backstory.

-It does develop Fate a bit more as a character and give her more screen time, percentage wise. But somehow, I almost prefer the more enigmatic Fate of S1 who seemed to exude more character, even while appearing almost more board-like. Still, for those who really like Fate and wanted to see more emotion from her, this movie is a plus.

The Bad:
-Precia/Fate/Linith backstory, because it left out Arf, and this is a symptom of the movie that I'll get into more; in short, it leaves out a lot. As I also mentioned above, I tend to prefer the Fate of S1, as I see her being too emotional here. Fate to me, was an abuse victim, and those people do tend to suppress their emotions and act more robot-like, almost as if they were acting in a trance. Fate in S1 pulled off the denial aspect better, and also pulled off the heel-face turn better, when she recovered and decided to join Nanoha and the others in the assault.

-Lack of Yuuno, Arisa, Suzuka development, among other characters. Especially the Arisa slap in the first grade, which helped turn Nanoha into the person she is, and thus why she was able to reach out to Fate. Nanoha's family is barely there, and they also played a role in shaping her, which would help the viewer understand why Nanoha is fighting. It's only by developing these other characters, that Nanoha as a person is defined. Thus, the main character actually suffers a bit, in order to highlight Fate.

-Nanoha masters magic in a matter of days, instead of a matter of months like she did in S1; the latter I felt was handled better. Part of this is due to RH being more talkative and doing more for Nanoha, instead of being what it is; a tool that the mage uses. It would be like you picking up a hammer and wondering what to do with it, but that's not an issue because as long as you have your hand on it, the hammer can hit the nail just fine. In short, it seemed like RH did more of the fighting than Nanoha did, and that just kinda rankled me.

-Minor point, but the humorous moments (such as Lindy's Tea and Nanoha seeing boy-form Yuuno for the first) weren't as good as the series. Even now, S1 can still get a smile out of me for those moments, but here they were rapidly rushed past and seemed to lack a certain comedic timing or atmosphere.

The Ugly:
-9 year old nipples. Perhaps they were there in the movie, but the camprip was bad enough quality that I didn't notice, but the blue-ray shows Nanoha in all her glory. Strangely, Fate lacked nipples, so I don't know why there was a discrepancy. I don't tend to have a problem with nudity when the plot calls for it, but despite S1 doing multiple transformation scenes, it was handled a bit better as it was faster and had less emphasis on Nanoha being naked and more on the transformation itself. Here, the transformation is slower and longer, and when the screen is filled with Nanoha's chest for several seconds, it's almost as if the writers are there, one hand down their pants while drooling and saying, "Ooh, look at THAT! Now that's fanservice!"

The bottom line:
The above nipple issue, coupled with all the things the movie leaves out, means this is a movie that is not meant for first time viewers. This is a movie meant for fans, and in particular, Fate fans. There is nothing wrong with that; just that it needs to be mentioned. I had hoped the movie would be a slightly better way to introduce someone to the series, but at this time, I feel the original S1 fulfills that role better.

Still, it is a decent movie; not excellent, but decent and worth a watch if you are a fan. Just know what you are getting into.

In fact, it's apt to say it's pretty much a love letter to Fate fans, even though I feel that them doing this, is just a way to cater and draw money from that demographic. Given their reluctance to actually do any lesbianism, this is pretty much the best you're gonna get, if you're a NanoFate person.

I'll stress again that it was a decent movie, but I really would have preferred a movie that hit new material. If they wanted to keep lolis, they could have easily done a movie when they were 11 or 12. The problem with a movie in this format, is there really is too much information to fit in, and thus a real movie would benefit from not having to explain everything. They could have fit the Precia/Linith/Fate/Arf backstory into a movie of that nature in the form of flashbacks, tying the plot somehow into Fate's history (say, someone that Precia knew comes in as a villain to gather Precia's research and do something with it, necessitating Nanoha and Fate to stop it).

Anyway, good watch, just what have preferred something different. But YMMV.
Old 2010-11-28, 15:54   Link #1940
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Good review, but you really should give the DVD or bluray a go rather than trying to remember everything from the obscurity of the camrip. Animation is really tons better than season 1.

And I'm pretty sure the only reason they changed Fate's character is because it was intended to be more about Nanoha and Fate, than Fate and Precia with Nanoha getting to Fate by the very end.