AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

View Poll Results: Which of these do you listen to? Like? Store in your MP3 player?
Anime music 10 13.70%
Western music 8 10.96%
Anime music > Western music 11 15.07%
Western music < Anime music 1 1.37%
Anime music = Western music 11 15.07%
Other genres 8 10.96%
Anime music and a mix of everything 24 32.88%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-01-12, 10:34   Link #1
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Anime Music vs Western Music (mainstream music)

Which of these:

- do you listen to
- like
- store in an mp3 player
- why?

Do you listen to game BGMs too?

I listen to anime music and game BGMs (they are very catchy)

Notes:

Anime > Western Music = I have more anime music than western music stored on mp3 player.
...... < ... = More western music than anime music
.... = ... = like them both
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!

Last edited by bhl88; 2010-01-12 at 11:55.
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 14:41   Link #2
roriconfan
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thessaloniki - Greece
Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
i hate most of jpop but i like many rock pieces and ballands.
As for western, I listen the the rock and metal classics.
And yes, I listen more to Western than Eastern only because there are more classics of those.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 15:01   Link #3
Kazu
Flowing
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Between Heaven and Earth
I have mostly western music like rock (Zeppelin,Hendrix,RHCP,Nirvana,Pinkfloyd for example)But I also have some BGMs from Shoji Meguro(persona music) Daisuke Ishwatari(Guilty Gear music) I also have some songs from the mongolian chop squad anime,so I pretty much like them equally,but I just think of music as music no matter where it's from
__________________
Kazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 15:28   Link #4
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Which of these:

- do you listen to
- like
- store in an mp3 player
- why?
Mostly Anime/J-pop stuff makes up around 98% of music on my MP3 player, so I had voted anime, since it's a very rare case for me to like a western song enough to put it on there. As why, I've just never been a fan of much western music, and I didn't really listen to much music at all until I found type of music in anime/J-pop that I liked.

Quote:
Do you listen to game BGMs too?
Yes if I like a series's BGM/OST I'll put it on my MP3 player though it's usually select songs, instead of the whole thing.
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Tempester
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 15:48   Link #5
The Master
Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: County Durham
Exclusively western music I love the songs used in anime but it always feels out of place removed from the anime. Since I dont know japanese most of the j-pop songs miss me.
__________________
The Internet is but one step on my path to world domination
The Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 16:24   Link #6
ac3y
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Almost only western music. I'm sure I'd like J music better if I could understand the language, but I can still appreciate the great beats of m-flo
__________________
Tsunderes are less fun in real life.
ac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 17:47   Link #7
Professor Waldorf X
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Professor Waldorf X Send a message via MSN to Professor Waldorf X
Why do you have to segregate music based on where its from?
__________________
Welcome to the court of the Crimson King.
Professor Waldorf X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 21:09   Link #8
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Waldorf X View Post
Why do you have to segregate music based on where its from?
Well they make it so easy to do so. Besides, you really can tell because of the styles.

I've actually loaded more anime-related music on my PSP than I have Western music. By more, I mean I have no Western and all anime. They just tend to create these really unique and enjoyable pieces that you can listen to repeatedly. That's just the rock and metal and such that I'm talking about. I can't even describe how amazing the orchestral pieces are by comparison. If I went in to detail I'd probably blow the internet up.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 22:16   Link #9
Professor Waldorf X
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Professor Waldorf X Send a message via MSN to Professor Waldorf X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Well they make it so easy to do so. Besides, you really can tell because of the styles.

I've actually loaded more anime-related music on my PSP than I have Western music. By more, I mean I have no Western and all anime. They just tend to create these really unique and enjoyable pieces that you can listen to repeatedly. That's just the rock and metal and such that I'm talking about. I can't even describe how amazing the orchestral pieces are by comparison. If I went in to detail I'd probably blow the internet up.
Are you serious? "Because of the styles" my ass. For just one of the numerous examples I can pull off the top of my head, compare the Japanese neo-classical metal band Galneryus to the European neo-classical metal band Stratovarius.

The location a band is from has little impact on their style, besides, you're trying to convince me that Japanese music is better when you have no western music to use for your point.

Furthermore, I know the most common arguments. From a lyrical standpoint, people usually argue (horribly incorrectly) that all western music is about sex, money, drugs and violence while Japanese music is not. Notably, they never go into detail as to what Japanese lyrics are about. I can guarantee that there is just as much Japanese music about sex, money, drugs and violence as there is western music about the same subjects.

From a stylistic standpoint, aside from my go-to Galneryus example, I know of plenty of other comparisons to prove my point.

If you want to argue quality, you hear a disproportionate amount of bad western music as opposed to bad Japanese music. I'm sure that there are plenty of Japanese music fans that think just the opposite of what many western music fans think in regards to Japanese music. I'm sure that there are Japanese online communities that are thinking "American music is just better" like many American online communities are thinking "Japanese music is just better." My point is that you simply haven't been exposed to the absolute worst work that Japan has to offer and similarly, the Japanese haven't been exposed to the absolute worst work that Western countries have to offer.

The terms "j-pop" and "anime music" are absolutely useless. Japanese music isn't some sort of holy grail of musical prowess and, personally, I listen to a very proportional amount of Japanese music to American music, Canadian music, Finnish music, British music, German music and music from other countries. Put simply, a bands nationality does not and never will say anything about their quality and will give almost nothing about style. After all, we don't call British pop "b-pop" or American pop "a-pop", so I ask again, why do we have to have a specific segregation based entirely on nationality?

TLDR: Nationality means nothing when it comes to musical prowess.
__________________
Welcome to the court of the Crimson King.
Professor Waldorf X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 22:53   Link #10
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac3y View Post
Almost only western music. I'm sure I'd like J music better if I could understand the language, but I can still appreciate the great beats of m-flo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master View Post
I love the songs used in anime but it always feels out of place removed from the anime. Since I dont know japanese most of the j-pop songs miss me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minitokyo forums by NeoStryder
A formerly Elton John producer said once: People don't listen music for the letter, people listen music for the sound and rhythm.
Don't need to understand to enjoy it.

Should have expanded the choice to:
- Anime music
- Asian music (c-pop, k-pop, j-pop)
- Western music (US, Europe, wherever is Western influenced.)
- Other music (punk, rock, R&B, hiphop, etc.)
- Game BGMs
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 22:54   Link #11
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Age: 19
Anime music kicks Westans ass!
__________________
Otaku Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 23:01   Link #12
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada/Ontario
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism Send a message via Skype™ to Miyuki-ism
You put mainstream at the end of Western Music there.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose anime/j-pop. However, I like English sung music quite a bit more than j-pop.

About 10% of the 926 I have on my iPod are anime related, but the other 90% is all bands I like. (The Cure, The Police, Duran Duran, KoRn, Faith No More, Sound Garden etc....)

But I do not listen to mainstream western music at all, it just does not appeal to me.
__________________

Last edited by Miyuki-ism; 2010-09-26 at 21:20.
Miyuki-ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 23:08   Link #13
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Age: 19
Every single song on my I pod is anime
__________________
Otaku Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 23:17   Link #14
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
@Miyuki-ism: I just felt that Western music is mainstream (since most of the songs on the radio are English...)

@Otaku Emperor: no need to repeat twice
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 23:20   Link #15
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
You realize there's no difference between choice 3 and 4 of your poll?

As for me....never listened to western music. Couldn't get into it. So J-pop/ enka and anime/game music for me.
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 00:09   Link #16
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Waldorf X View Post
Are you serious? "Because of the styles" my ass. For just one of the numerous examples I can pull off the top of my head, compare the Japanese neo-classical metal band Galneryus to the European neo-classical metal band Stratovarius.

The location a band is from has little impact on their style, besides, you're trying to convince me that Japanese music is better when you have no western music to use for your point.
First of all, you're putting words in my mouth. I never once claimed to have not listened to Western music, and I never once claimed that Japanese music is better by default. Clearly, I find more personal enjoyment out of listening to Japanese orchestra pieces. Not only have I listened to Western music, but I've played Western music. Not just music from the United States, but music from multiple different countries (most of which are European). Beyond that, I've played Rock, Jazz, Classical, and a few other genres here and there. I'm not really sure where you pulled those insulting comments out of, but you should probably put a lock and key on there.

Secondly, I can quite easily tell Galneryus is Japanese compared to Stratovarius. It doesn't really help you trying to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about when your example is of a Japanese band with a singer who clearly has an Asian accent. Not to mention that their keyboard parts in the metal song are a big red flag that it's probably not American and more than likely not European.

Quote:
Put simply, a bands nationality does not and never will say anything about their quality and will give almost nothing about style. After all, we don't call British pop "b-pop" or American pop "a-pop", so I ask again, why do we have to have a specific segregation based entirely on nationality?

TLDR: Nationality means nothing when it comes to musical prowess.
Yes because classic British marches are not pompous and snooty by default. The fact that you refer to it as "segregation" makes me question your credibility in the matter. The labels you seem to think are so segregating are called musical genres. J-Pop is a sub-genre of Pop, and we wouldn't have the J-Pop sub-genre if J-Pop wasn't so obviously Japanese.

It really helps to know what you're talking about if you're going to try and spark an argument, and a good way to spark an argument is to not treat the guy you're trying to correct like he's an idiot. Especially if you're going to do a poor job of it.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 01:40   Link #17
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada/Ontario
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism Send a message via Skype™ to Miyuki-ism
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
@Miyuki-ism: I just felt that Western music is mainstream (since most of the songs on the radio are English...)

@Otaku Emperor: no need to repeat twice
Just because it's western, and spoken in English, doesn't mean it's mainstream. I consider mainstream to mean popular, top 40 etc.
__________________
Miyuki-ism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 03:25   Link #18
O.D.
Lurking Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I definitely choose Japanese music over music from any other countries. I've had enough of Western stuff.
__________________
...

Last edited by O.D.; 2010-09-24 at 07:32.
O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 03:56   Link #19
Professor Waldorf X
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Professor Waldorf X Send a message via MSN to Professor Waldorf X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
First of all, you're putting words in my mouth. I never once claimed to have not listened to Western music, and I never once claimed that Japanese music is better by default. Clearly, I find more personal enjoyment out of listening to Japanese orchestra pieces. Not only have I listened to Western music, but I've played Western music. Not just music from the United States, but music from multiple different countries (most of which are European). Beyond that, I've played Rock, Jazz, Classical, and a few other genres here and there. I'm not really sure where you pulled those insulting comments out of, but you should probably put a lock and key on there.
OK, I misread you, my apologies. To be fair, your post did suggest my error to be true.

Also, what insulting comments?

Quote:
Secondly, I can quite easily tell Galneryus is Japanese compared to Stratovarius. It doesn't really help you trying to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about when your example is of a Japanese band with a singer who clearly has an Asian accent. Not to mention that their keyboard parts in the metal song are a big red flag that it's probably not American and more than likely not European.
A vocalist's accent has nothing to do with how a band sounds. Yes, Yama-B has a thick accent, but the band's style is almost identical to that of western bands such as Stratovarius and Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force. Accents do not make stylistic difference. The reason I use the Galneryus example is because of how much of an exemplary example it is at showing this point. If it weren't for Yama's voice, I probably could convince some people that Galneryus is a western band,

And are you seriously going to tell me that its mostly the Japanese that use keyboards in metal? Seriously? If that is the case, explain Dream Theater (American), Kamelot (American), Between the Buried and Me (American), Lordi (European), Battlelore (European), DragonForce (European), Rammstein (European), Eisbrecher (European), The Protomen (American), Luca Turilli's Dreamquest (European), Nightwish (European), Machinae Supremacy (European), Sonata Arctica (European) and even Black Sabbath (European) at times. The use of a keyboard means nothing more than the band choosing to use said instrument. If you're arguing particularly talented keyboards, a certain Jordan Rudess (solo starts at about 5 minutes) would probably have something to say about that.

And to really get into western keyboardists, lets look away from metal for a second and look at progressive rock. Bands such as Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Jethro Tull, Yes and Rush paved the way for keyboards in rock during an era where many rock bands refused to use them as they saw keyboards and synths as cheating.

Quote:
Yes because classic British marches are not pompous and snooty by default. The fact that you refer to it as "segregation" makes me question your credibility in the matter.
From Webster's dictionary:
seg·re·gate

Function: verb

transitive verb 1 : to separate or set apart from others or from the general mass : isolate
2 : to cause or force the separation of (as from the rest of society)

What's your problem with me using the word "segregate" again?

Quote:
The labels you seem to think are so segregating are called musical genres. J-Pop is a sub-genre of Pop, and we wouldn't have the J-Pop sub-genre if J-Pop wasn't so obviously Japanese.
The only thing that signifies it as Japanese is the language the majority of it is sung. That isn't stylistic difference. Stylistic difference isn't as simply as changing the language the song is sung in. Do we call pop sung in English "e-pop?" No? Then do we call German pop "g-pop?" No? Then why do we need to call Japanese pop "j-pop?"

Like I said, the term "j-pop" is absolutely useless. All it does is say "This is different because its Japanese and only because its Japanese." It says nothing about the style of music the artist plays.

Now, the orchestral pieces I missed. You're not going to try to convince me that all Japanese composers are flat out better than geniuses such as Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin?

Quote:
It really helps to know what you're talking about if you're going to try and spark an argument, and a good way to spark an argument is to not treat the guy you're trying to correct like he's an idiot. Especially if you're going to do a poor job of it.
Well, lets see, I've given examples (and I can promise you more examples if necessary), expressed facts and used logic, while you simply claimed that I don't know I'm talking about and more or less claimed that language differences is enough to warrant the creation of a new genre, when, as I've explain, it does not, nor have you provided examples to elaborate your points. I don't mean to sound elitist here and I apologize if it comes out that way, but this is simply a subject that gets under my skin as a music geek. Also, if you want to argue credibility, I'd have less trouble taking you seriously if you'd stop with the smilies.

Anyway, your move.
__________________
Welcome to the court of the Crimson King.

Last edited by Professor Waldorf X; 2010-01-13 at 04:21.
Professor Waldorf X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 04:12   Link #20
Photonbeam
It's VACATION TIMEEEEE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: El Nido Triangle
Send a message via Yahoo to Photonbeam
Anime music of course.

Spoiler for 4th:
__________________
Photonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.