AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Ore no Imouto

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-07, 01:24   Link #2401
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
The idea of reseting the choice and then leaving the volume with a kiss seems so decisive yet so ambigious at the same thing honesly I hope the 10 year SS will add some conclusiveness to this rather mixed ending.
__________________
Nothing is Impossible
BladeEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 01:37   Link #2402
Reisengard
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshere View Post
All I know is that Kuroneko acted as a catalyst between the 2 siblings to help them express how they feel and she succeeded big time,in other words Kuroneko will still be their friend no matter what,she didnt mind an incest relationship between the two so its kinda obvious.
That's exactly what I think...
The Destiny Record may be right, after all? If she succeeds in making the three of them living happily together...

But I still feel sad for her.

The more I think about it, the more satisfied I am with this ending. It does have some cliche, all right, but I think he succeeded at creating something at least original...

I don't know if the part of the ending of both "going to live like normal siblings after that" means something like censorship either. If they let the story finish with both kissing and 'marrying', I don't think they would just stop the part of 'after that'.
Reisengard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 01:48   Link #2403
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, this is why the ending is the way it is: ambiguous. Having a straight-out happy ending isn't really befitting the setting (as you say), because there are too many hurdles to overcome (not least of which are barriers in editorial ).
See, and this is exactly why I call this resolution - and consequently the show - a failure, and this ending a mere cop-out. The story began on a relatively interesting promise, and initially I thought it was about exactly that: Overcoming the hurdles and resolve the tensions and relationships between the characters in some way. Instead, the show merely toyed with some developments, and then all of a sudden decided "okay, so this is where Kyousuke decides, and since there are no proper answers to the questions posed and no resolutions to the hurdles, we go back to square one".

I'm sorry, but romantic feelings just don't work this way. I genuinely question if the author simply has no experience with real life or ultimately was simply tangled in the contradictory web he weaved, but I increasingly suspect it's both.

Excuse me, but the spiteful and nasty self-centered way Kirino has dealt with Kyousuke throughout the entire show makes this whole pseudo-revelation "but I've loved him all time long" simply not credible. She was way too explicit and consistent with her continuous expressions of disgust. Kirino doesn't love Kyousuke, Kirino loves Kirino. This is also underlined in her eventual reaction to Manami.

Quote:
But having Kyousuke and Kirino somehow "turn off" their feelings for one another having come that far doesn't really make sense either, and clashes with the build-up over the course of the story. So...

Basically, given that the story revolves around Kirino and Kyousuke falling (or "re-falling"?) in love with each other, there aren't so many ways to end it and still have the pieces fit. Both the journey and the destination have to connect to each other.
You're making the case why this is a burning plane about to impact the ground where the pilot just jumped off on a parachute better than I could. The author tried to be consistent in making Kirino the target, but then realized that he could not make the puzzle pieces fit.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 01:51   Link #2404
GVN.Chaos
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Say, anyone here have already gotten on volume 12? Just exactly how much of those spoiler is confirmed to be true?
GVN.Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 01:51   Link #2405
Kakurin-san
Chitoge on vacation!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Excuse me, but the spiteful and nasty self-centered way Kirino has dealt with Kyousuke throughout the entire show makes this whole pseudo-revelation "but I've loved him all time long" simply not credible. She was way too explicit and consistent with her continuous expressions of disgust. Kirino doesn't love Kyousuke, Kirino loves Kirino. This is also underlined in her eventual reaction to Manami.
I don't know about that one. She did not hate Kyousuke, she hated the way he turned out to be after Manami convinced him, he should just play the role of a normal boy and forsake his ambitions / being cool. And to say she is nasty self-centered and only loves herself. I sincerely disagree.

@GVN.Chaos: If there are no new developments, right now the only things that are 100% sure, are
Spoiler for Confirmed Spoiler:
Kakurin-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 01:52   Link #2406
Wilshere
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfury View Post
So did anyone see the illustration with the proposal thing and Kirino's reaction to it?
Edit: I found some dialogue lines for people who want to know what Kyousuke said to Manami:
Spoiler for Kyousuke goes insane in his pursuit for love:

credits to Salo-Heika from myanimelist forums and possible others
Well he admitted that he has been searching for an other answer to prevent him for falling for her and simply cant cuz these were his true feelings,way to go Kyousuke!!! ''incest is the greatest'' still an open end people????
Wilshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 01:59   Link #2407
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Instead, the show merely toyed with some developments, and then all of a sudden decided "okay, so this is where Kyousuke decides, and since there are no proper answers to the questions posed and no resolutions to the hurdles, we go back to square one".

I'm sorry, but romantic feelings just don't work this way.
Yes, but again, this is where the ambiguous ending comes into play. If they had just "gone back to square one" and that was the end of it, I'd agree. But ending the novel with Kyousuke giving Kirino a kiss, as it does, throws the theory out of whack. It throws the whole "let's go back to normal siblings" plot development into disarray. Granted, of course, that it's deliberately ambiguous and still doesn't really address the questions you want them to address. But I think it's clear that there are reasons why they can't really address all those questions in a novel sold at all ages. If your argument is "well, then, they shouldn't have gone there at all if they weren't going to go all the way and deal with every issue," that's certainly a perfectly valid opinion. But I'm not prepared to really say how well or poorly-written this is until at least getting a much more detailed, complete summary of the book.

Based on the rest of your comments, though, I'm honestly not sure if there's any way this story could have taken this path and be redeemable in your eyes, so perhaps the details aren't so important from that perspective and it's pointless to argue.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 02:01   Link #2408
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
I don't know about that one. She did not hate Kyousuke, she hated the way he turned out to be after Manami convinced him, he should just play the role of a normal boy and forsake his ambitions / being cool. And to say she is nasty self-centered and only loves herself. I sincerely disagree.
Fair enough, but please just reread the interactions between Kirino and Kyousuke in the earlier volumes and try to remind yourself "this is a girl who loves her brother". You will experience a complete disconnect to reality.

"Feeling love for someone" in my book means a desire to take care of this someone. It means prioritizing the well-being of someone over your own. To be there for them when they need it.

With only 1-2 exceptions in the latest volumes, Kirino consistently prioritized her own well-being over everyone else's. Her wishes and desires are 99% focused on herself, and essentially, the show is about gofer Kyousuke helping Kirino to get what she wants, and to resolve the problems that Kirino has. Which, by the way, is also why I could never warm up to this relationship. There's too much sugar blown up Kirino's rear end, and the girl has absolutely not enough redeeming character traits to justify it (which ones does she have at all?).
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 02:10   Link #2409
Wilshere
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Fair enough, but please just reread the interactions between Kirino and Kyousuke in the earlier volumes and try to remind yourself "this is a girl who loves her brother". You will experience a complete disconnect to reality.

"Feeling love for someone" in my book means a desire to take care of this someone. It means prioritizing the well-being of someone over your own. To be there for them when they need it.

With only 1-2 exceptions in the latest volumes, Kirino consistently prioritized her own well-being over everyone else's. Her wishes and desires are 99% focused on herself, and essentially, the show is about gofer Kyousuke helping Kirino to get what she wants, and to resolve the problems that Kirino has. Which, by the way, is also why I could never warm up to this relationship. There's too much sugar blown up Kirino's rear end, and the girl has absolutely not enough redeeming character traits to justify it (which ones does she have at all?).
Well,her trust for him about her ''secret'' is a hint,and why will she go all out declaring her feelings after 3 year boycott? I think its pretty impossible to say anything after ignoring each other for 3 whole yrs.Reason why she hated him was all because of Manami turning him into a lazy-boring guy nothing more nothing less,in fact she always looked up on her brother,she wanted to be like him,basically he was her role model.
Wilshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 02:11   Link #2410
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yes, but again, this is where the ambiguous ending comes into play. If they had just "gone back to square one" and that was the end of it, I'd agree. But ending the novel with Kyousuke giving Kirino a kiss, as it does, throws the theory out of whack.
Why? The kiss is only the author's way to say "this is the winner". And then they go back.

Ever felt real romantic love for someone? If so, do you feel you can relate to this reaction?

Quote:
Granted, of course, that it's deliberately ambiguous and still doesn't really address the questions you want them to address. But I think it's clear that there are reasons why they can't really address all those questions in a novel sold at all ages.
But they WERE addressed earlier. We HAD the falling-out with the parents. We HAD Ayase's massive objections. They were just not solved. That's exactly what I criticize the show for. It was felled by the same issues it raised itself.

Quote:
If your argument is "well, then, they shouldn't have gone there at all if they weren't going to go all the way and deal with every issue," that's certainly a perfectly valid opinion. But I'm not prepared to really say how well or poorly-written this is until at least getting a much more detailed, complete summary of the book.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Based on the rest of your comments, though, I'm honestly not sure if there's any way this story could have taken this path and be redeemable in your eyes, so perhaps the details aren't so important from that perspective and it's pointless to argue.
Possibly so. The thing is that I find Kirino insufferable and her selfishness repulsive. See my reply to SigUp for details. What is displayed in the show is a total perversion of the concept of "love" when judged by my standards, but I guess there is at least some consistency in the show when slavish devotion to a narcist is kept up till the end. Just sad to see that several alternatives which are much closer to my idea of love were trampled over along the way

Still - I do think that I have grounds to objectively criticize the show for failure to resolve the very issues it has raised by itself. Not just my subjective disappointment with the chosen one.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 02:13   Link #2411
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Why? The kiss is only the author's way to say "this is the winner". And then they go back.
No, you're missing this: there are two kisses.

1. At the wedding scene right before they "go back".
2. At the very end of the epilogue after they have ostensibly already "gone back" (where Kyousuke gives Kirino an unexpected kiss).

I've explained this a few times now, but every time you miss it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
But they WERE addressed earlier. We HAD the falling-out with the parents. We HAD Ayase's massive objections. They were just not solved. That's exactly what I criticize the show for. It was felled by the same issues it raised itself.
And again, to be fair, we have no idea to what extent these issues were or were not raised by the volume. The book is nearly 400 pages long, and all we have so far are short, questionably-accurate summaries. Let's hold a bit before casting too many more stones.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 02:32   Link #2412
Wilshere
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
No, you're missing this: there are two kisses.

1. At the wedding scene right before they "go back".
2. At the very end of the epilogue after they have ostensibly already "gone back" (where Kyousuke gives Kirino an unexpected kiss).

I've explained this a few times now, but every time you miss it.


And again, to be fair, we have no idea to what extent these issues were or were not raised by the volume. The book is nearly 400 pages long, and all we have so far are short, questionably-accurate summaries. Let's hold a bit before casting too many more stones.
For the second kiss I must say that Kyousuke doesnt want the relationship end here.I dont think that they would walk home and consider nothing happened really,they live under the same roof,only obstacle between them is a thin wall. I wont be surprised if they crawl into each other's room at night and continue with their kissing(i dont think intercourse can happen because these two have limited themselves). I am pretty sure Kirino wont mind lol
Wilshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 02:36   Link #2413
Lucarion
Devotee of the Goddess.
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
See, and this is exactly why I call this resolution - and consequently the show - a failure, and this ending a mere cop-out. The story began on a relatively interesting promise, and initially I thought it was about exactly that: Overcoming the hurdles and resolve the tensions and relationships between the characters in some way. Instead, the show merely toyed with some developments, and then all of a sudden decided "okay, so this is where Kyousuke decides, and since there are no proper answers to the questions posed and no resolutions to the hurdles, we go back to square one".

I'm sorry, but romantic feelings just don't work this way. I genuinely question if the author simply has no experience with real life or ultimately was simply tangled in the contradictory web he weaved, but I increasingly suspect it's both.

Excuse me, but the spiteful and nasty self-centered way Kirino has dealt with Kyousuke throughout the entire show makes this whole pseudo-revelation "but I've loved him all time long" simply not credible. She was way too explicit and consistent with her continuous expressions of disgust. Kirino doesn't love Kyousuke, Kirino loves Kirino. This is also underlined in her eventual reaction to Manami.



You're making the case why this is a burning plane about to impact the ground where the pilot just jumped off on a parachute better than I could. The author tried to be consistent in making Kirino the target, but then realized that he could not make the puzzle pieces fit.
One, we're talking about the LN here, not the anime, Kirino is more balanced tsundere in the LN and and even in the anime she never really hated Kyousuke though it did play up her tsun side. (I wish they went with the direction the manga took and emphasized her dere side instead, but I digress) Ever since volume 4 people can see plain as day Kirino never saw Kyousuke as just a brother. By Volume 7 she was even getting desperate; people can see her frustration and her intense distaste for Manami, who we eventually see was the person who started the whole mess between the Kousakas. When Kuroneko let the cat out of the bag and revealed their hidden feelings they treated each other far better than ever.
Lucarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 03:08   Link #2414
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
No, you're missing this: there are two kisses.

1. At the wedding scene right before they "go back".
2. At the very end of the epilogue after they have ostensibly already "gone back" (where Kyousuke gives Kirino an unexpected kiss).

I've explained this a few times now, but every time you miss it.
I think I see now where our misunderstanding is coming from. I'll try to explain:

For me, the kiss or kisses (both) are to signify Kyousuke's "choice". It's a symbol that he chooses Kirino. The second kiss only underlines this choice - he still "loves" her. BUT. By "going back" or more correctly pretending to do so, the author dodges the bullet to explain how they're dealing with the problems - the stigmatization, the social backlash, their parents' reactions, all the likes. It reminds me of an old project manager joke for impossible tasks: You plan it all through, and then just add a step "here is where a miracle happens". Exactly THAT is the cop-out. The author capitulates and refuses to resolve the problems. That all "happens in-between and we don't see it".

Also, it just doesn't fit with my life experiences. That's not how romantic love works - especially not the self-centered kind that Kirino employs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucarion View Post
One, we're talking about the LN here, not the anime, Kirino is more balanced tsundere in the LN and and even in the anime she never really hated Kyousuke though it did play up her tsun side. (I wish they went with the direction the manga took and emphasized her dere side instead, but I digress) Ever since volume 4 people can see plain as day Kirino never saw Kyousuke as just a brother.
Oh, I read the novel translations, too. No substantial change in my eyes. Kirino's continuous abuse of Kyousuke rings very true here. I wonder how many times she called her so-called "love" "disgusting" or worse. Her treatment of him has been just the same: Kirino bossed him around to solve her own problems and gives him verbal and physical abuse as thanks. I'll easily concede that she did develop a certain form of "protectiveness" towards Kyousuke, but it smacked more of "possessiveness" to me.

Please answer me this: When did Kirino do something to help Kyousuke? When did she express genuine appreciation for his and his efforts? When did Kirino forgo a selfish wish of her own for the sake of Kyousuke? When did she even show any shred of interest in Kyousuke's wishes?

Quote:
By Volume 7 she was even getting desperate; people can see her frustration and her intense distaste for Manami, who we eventually see was the person who started the whole mess between the Kousakas. When Kuroneko let the cat out of the bag and revealed their hidden feelings they treated each other far better than ever.
Yes, she grew irritable over the threatened loss of her possession (Kyousuke). Is that your idea of "love"?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 03:11   Link #2415
AsunaChidori
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Whitmore Lake Michigan
My theory is that when the 10 year later mini novel comes out it will show everyone and where they are in life. Willing to bet it will do a zoom out in the last couple pages showing Kirino and Kyousuke with rings on something of that sort. I mean am I the only one that doesn't mind the incest? You love who you love, can't really help it.

Though so far from the rumors and such this ending seems a little rushed or half hearted, really was expecting more. Hope to have resolution when everything is confirmed.
AsunaChidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 03:19   Link #2416
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Ever felt real romantic love for someone? If so, do you feel you can relate to this reaction?
Yeah, I remember relentless posting about how, once upon a time, he had to record some kind of video for the wedding of a girl he had feelings for. <_< So at least one person has captured the heart of our fair admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsunaChidori
My theory is that when the 10 year later mini novel comes out it will show everyone and where they are in life. Willing to bet it will do a zoom out in the last couple pages showing Kirino and Kyousuke with rings on something of that sort. I mean am I the only one that doesn't mind the incest? You love who you love, can't really help it.
I do hope that the mini novel won't be anywhere near that subtle. Sometimes I wish that Japanese stories didn't gloss over things so much in the name of subtlety. The bottom line isn't the only thing that matters, after all... give us some substantial heartwarming romance to roll around in, mangakas.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 03:27   Link #2417
Kakurin-san
Chitoge on vacation!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Please answer me this: When did Kirino do something to help Kyousuke? When did she express genuine appreciation for his and his efforts? When did Kirino forgo a selfish wish of her own for the sake of Kyousuke? When did she even show any shred of interest in Kyousuke's wishes?
Just out of the back of my head:

Volume 8, when she does her best to comfort him, and goes to great lengths to try to bring Kuroneko back.
Volume 1, when she thanks him (and then blushes) after Kyousuke's confrontation with the father over her Otaku hobby.
Volume 4, at the maid-event.
Volume 8, when she gives Kuroneko permission to confess, tells Kyousuke that Kuroneko really likes him and forces herself to accept their relationship.
Kakurin-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 03:34   Link #2418
shironeko8
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Excuse me if i may, but my mind is still going through some serious damage.
But i just wanna ask, in the opening of season 2 episode 1 in the anime, where it shows kyousuke and kirino back when they were kids and kirino wanted to take a bath together only to be rejected by kyousuke, did that part/flashback appear or was it mentioned anywhere in the novels? My minds is somehow blank as of the moment. lol.
__________________
shironeko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 03:44   Link #2419
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
^ The part where Kirino is talking is the part where present!Kirino takes over past!Kirino in his dream.

By the way, someone posted on /a/ on his thoughts about "Ten Years After":

Quote:
Ten years later...

Kyousuke, due to fraying his ties with his friends, ends up being a full-blown otaku, much more than Kirino ever was. He ends up sharing much of Kirino's merchandise. Although he was able to get decent grades in college, he became a freeter (see Kirino) shortly after graduating.

Kirino continues to pursue her career as an athlete, and slowly becomes less of an otaku, but she occasionally adds new merch to her collection. She financially supports Kyousuke's rent fees, and helps out in getting him part-time jobs to get.

Manami decides to permanently remove all of her contacts with the Kousaka family and moves to Kyoto, where she starts a "branch" of the Tamura sweets shop. Apparently, her kind personality becomes a facade for his customers, as she rarely talks casually with anyone.

Saori continues to be the moderator of Otaku Girls Unite!, and is the only bridge between Kirino, Ruri and Kyousuke. She still maintains her look, but is already eyeing on a new member which may fit as her successor.

Ruri focuses all of her efforts on becoming an otaku and decides to work full-time after graduating from high school to help with the Gokou family's earnings. She is still active in the Kuroneko Circle.

Ayase never forgot about Kyousuke and eventually used her parents' influence to track down Kyousuke's and Kirino's movements over the next three years. Eventually, she gave up on stalking and instead vows that "none of this bullshit between siblings" happens again.

Upon entering college, she studies law and vows to become a politician, pushing stricter rules imposed on incest.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Autumn 2014: Log Horizon S2, Amagi Brilliant Park and Fate/Stay Night (2014).
Winter 2015: Durarara!! x2, Koufuku Graffiti, Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata, Tsukimonogatari, and Kantai Collection.
LIGHT NOVEL CHALLENGE: Absolute Duo, Seiken Tsukai no World Break and Sister of Testament New Devil.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 26. Completed: 219. Plan to watch: 32.

Marcus H. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 03:46   Link #2420
Kakurin-san
Chitoge on vacation!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shironeko8 View Post
Excuse me if i may, but my mind is still going through some serious damage.
But i just wanna ask, in the opening of season 2 episode 1 in the anime, where it shows kyousuke and kirino back when they were kids and kirino wanted to take a bath together only to be rejected by kyousuke, did that part/flashback appear or was it mentioned anywhere in the novels? My minds is somehow blank as of the moment. lol.
That was a dream by Kyousuke, wasn't it? As for whether it is anime-only, I don't know about that one out of the back of my head.
Kakurin-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen, siblings

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.