AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-05-05, 23:42   Link #1
mah_damey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: houston, tx
Tales of Symphonia Game Discussion

i was juss wondering if anyone heard of this game and is gonna get it. if u havent heard of it, i suggest u look it up n research, cuz it looks AWESOME.
mah_damey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 00:00   Link #2
microlith
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Folsom, CA
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to microlith
Indeed it is awesome. So much game and an EXCELLENT battle system (I haven't played too many RPGs) that make it incredibly fun to play. The music is fitting and the characters are wonderful. The story will run about 48-52 hours (took me 60 cause my Japanese isn't that smooth,) but fills the game. There are lots of sidequests you can undertake during the course of the game and many subevents that keep the game interesting as well. I need to go through with my guidebook and track these down.

Apparently it's the first 2-disc Gamecube game, but it makes great use with lots of voice segments when in town and on the worldmap, as well as the cel-shading engine making the whole game feel like a giant anime episode. There are only a few FMV anime clips, notably the OP, one mid-game sequence, and the ending. There are two CG clips in the game, but otherwise the game engine provides a lot of the cinematics and storytelling.

I finished playing it sometime back in November (first RPG completed only in Japanese!) and if you need any excuse to get a Gamecube, Tales of Symphonia and Viewtiful Joe are the ONLY reasons you need.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 01:42   Link #3
mah_damey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: houston, tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith

I finished playing it sometime back in November (first RPG completed only in Japanese!) and if you need any excuse to get a Gamecube, Tales of Symphonia and Viewtiful Joe are the ONLY reasons you need.
lol yea im only gettin gamecube for this game. man i rlly wanted the jap version of this game, but i kno NO japanese at all.. the one comin out in the u.s. duznt have that cool intro song.. but im rlly sad bout missin out on the "majinken!" lol

for all yall wantin to chek it out heres a pretty good site:
http://tales.namco.com/videoclips.php
mah_damey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 02:18   Link #4
ShinDragon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Richmond, BC
NAMCO is also bringing Tales of Symphonia to PS2.
http://www.namco-ch.net/talesofsymphonia_ps2/index.php

Other than ToS....
There's another new Tales game also for PS2.

Tales of Rebirth.
http://www.namco-ch.net/talesofrebirth/index.php
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 03:20   Link #5
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith

Apparently it's the first 2-disc Gamecube game, but it makes great use with lots of voice segments when in town and on the worldmap, as well as the cel-shading engine making the whole game feel like a giant anime episode. There are only a few FMV anime clips, notably the OP, one mid-game sequence, and the ending. There are two CG clips in the game, but otherwise the game engine provides a lot of the cinematics and storytelling.

Do you mean the first 2-disc RPG? As there have been a few 2-disc GC games released.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 03:27   Link #6
Evan
天使我爱你
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: With My Hime Natsuki-sama
What can I say? I just LOVE this game man!!! Woo Hoo~~
I kinda like the graphics and characters~

Too bad and I hate namco for not bringing TOD 2 to PS2.......
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 22:14   Link #7
mah_damey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: houston, tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinDragon
NAMCO is also bringing Tales of Symphonia to PS2.
http://www.namco-ch.net/talesofsymphonia_ps2/index.php
yea but i think thats only gonna be in japan rite?
mah_damey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 22:46   Link #8
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
If the domestic sales are pretty good(and I don't doubt that, this game is great), it wouldn't surprise me if Namco brought the PS2 version here.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 01:53   Link #9
naninani
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: hmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Indeed it is awesome. So much game and an EXCELLENT battle system (I haven't played too many RPGs) that make it incredibly fun to play. The music is fitting and the characters are wonderful. The story will run about 48-52 hours (took me 60 cause my Japanese isn't that smooth,) but fills the game. There are lots of sidequests you can undertake during the course of the game and many subevents that keep the game interesting as well. I need to go through with my guidebook and track these down.

Apparently it's the first 2-disc Gamecube game, but it makes great use with lots of voice segments when in town and on the worldmap, as well as the cel-shading engine making the whole game feel like a giant anime episode. There are only a few FMV anime clips, notably the OP, one mid-game sequence, and the ending. There are two CG clips in the game, but otherwise the game engine provides a lot of the cinematics and storytelling.

I finished playing it sometime back in November (first RPG completed only in Japanese!) and if you need any excuse to get a Gamecube, Tales of Symphonia and Viewtiful Joe are the ONLY reasons you need.
omg i cant even find this game on ebay
naninani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 11:34   Link #10
microlith
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Folsom, CA
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to microlith
NCSX.com if you're looking to import.

I picked mine up in person at the Tsutaya in Shibuya, used.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 13:46   Link #11
ShinDragon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Richmond, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by <EvAnGeLiOn>
Too bad and I hate namco for not bringing TOD 2 to PS2.......
Huh?? ToD 2 is already out for PS2.
Unless you mean NA release.
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-07, 19:33   Link #12
silentpixel
Champloo Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NYC
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
ARGH now i have a reason to get the GC. I wouldnt get the GC if it was coming to the PS2 NA but it isnt

The game looks good to. Especially the battle video i seen. I want this bad.
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 01:35   Link #13
mah_damey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: houston, tx
on that site i gave earlier the lil codepass is Tales ...lol. Itll show the english version of the intro, but i think the jap intro is better, which could b found at www.gametrailers.com.
mah_damey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 15:04   Link #14
Tommy
Mr. Prince
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Age: 31
So has anyone picked this game up yet? I'm probably gonna buy it today just wanted to know what people thought about it so far.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 17:39   Link #15
microlith
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Folsom, CA
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to microlith
Read up a bit. If you ever needed a game to justify your buying a gamecube, whether you have one or not, Tales of Symphonia will do it.

The awesome battle system, story, and graphics make it more than worthwhile. I can't speak to the audio present in the US release (since I played the JP release and have no interest in playing it in English.)

Oh, and it's not the first 2 disc game, but the first 2 disc RPG. Also, the first original RPG for the GC (it came out before Crystal Chronicles did in Japan.)
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 18:25   Link #16
Ending
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Wouldn't be so sure about it. Even though it has got some good reviews, several of them also mention that the story is pretty unsurprising and regular, and the characters as well. Myself, I'm wondering how the party relationships develope and is there something like in Baldur's Gate 2 -dialog romances or the sort?

Wouldn't want to waste my money on yet another AXN HACK'n'SLASH.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 20:15   Link #17
stpehen
kisses for all
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ぶちゅー!
Age: 30
I've come to notice that very very few RPGs actually have a worthwhile story that goes beyond the archetypal save-the-world-with-the-four-crystals-yay format. But since the real reason I play RPGs is for the gameplay, I consider a decent story to be icing on the cake. Since I have enjoyed the other Tales games, I am heartily looking forward to grabbing this on the next trip to the game store, and I am not particularly putting any expectations on the story.
__________________
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 09:46   Link #18
Kaka
罪人クロノ
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Age: 28
I love Tales!
TOD, TOD2, TOE were just awesome (I still need to finish TOP ^^bb)
now I am waiting for the PS2 ver of TOS >W<
o, forgot about TOR that's coming out in the future~
__________________
Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 09:37   Link #19
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen
I've come to notice that very very few RPGs actually have a worthwhile story that goes beyond the archetypal save-the-world-with-the-four-crystals-yay format. But since the real reason I play RPGs is for the gameplay, I consider a decent story to be icing on the cake. Since I have enjoyed the other Tales games, I am heartily looking forward to grabbing this on the next trip to the game store, and I am not particularly putting any expectations on the story.
Yup, I agree with you, both in general and specifically regarding this game. The story is quite archtypical and predictable, but the game is still a lot of fun to play. I'm enjoying it a lot so far - definitely worth the purchase!
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 10:04   Link #20
microlith
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Folsom, CA
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to microlith
ToS's battle system, EX Skill system, and magic/attacks are awesome. Haven't played an RPG like it, really do like how it handles (and I'd like to see what kind of grade a mid to high level team could get if all 4 were player controlled.)

One downside to the US release, apparently none of the in-game skits (triggered when you hit the Z button) have audio in the English version. All of those skits (of which there are 300+) had voice acting in the Japanese version.

I just found this out the other day. Apparently Namco has been mangling the US release of the Tales series for some time now...
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.