AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-03-09, 08:30   Link #1
frowndog
Poof... time warp

Unhappy Search problems? Post here...

I'm not sure if this is addressable or not but when i tried searching for E's Otherwise, i got no results because the search function omitted "E's" because it was too short and "otherwise" because it was a common word.

I tried using "E's Otherwise" with the quotation marks but the search function still omitted the words E's and otherwise

Just wanted to point this out... I'm thinking it has something to do with the forum software so i dunno if its a) correctable; or b) worth it to even correct

either that or i'm having a brain lock and there are NO posts concerning e's otherwise on the boards anymore...

EDIT: typo
frowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 08:53   Link #2
TronDD
Team the box!

That bites me sometimes too. Try to find something about finding a "raw" or something about "IRC". Just have to come up with another word that would be in the thread and not in a million others.

For E's Otherwise, try to search for a main character name or something.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 09:34   Link #3
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
The same problem occurs with all TLAs (three letter acronyms), such as OVA or the abbreviations of many series titles (e.g. ROD).

I guess it comes down to the logistical problem of searching for small strings of text in a huge database. It's not just a problem of seeing if the board software's default minimum search string length (I think it's the default) can be changed, but how much of a load a reduction might put of the search engine.

While we're here, I'll tag on a friendly reminder that it would be nice to be able to do 2 seaches a minute rather than 1 every 35 seconds. I'm not at all familiar with vBulletin's code, so I don't know how much of a job these tweaks might be...
Old 2004-03-09, 09:56   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

They're all simple configuration items. But you hit the nail on the head with your
comment on load on the server. Basically it is quite possible to reduce the minimum
length of searches and frequenty of them, but it'll put more load on the server.

Especially reducing the minimum search length will do this, as it means:
1) a TON of extra keywords need to be stored -- which will increase the database size considerably.
2) to index current post, the search index needs to be rebuild. trust me, the server will hate that.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 17:35   Link #5
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Especially reducing the minimum search length will do this, as it means:
1) a TON of extra keywords need to be stored -- which will increase the database size considerably.
2) to index current post, the search index needs to be rebuild. trust me, the server will hate that.
Is that how the vBulletin system works? It seems to be a lot less efficient than say, a SELECT LIKE/NOT LIKE statement using MySQL.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-09, 18:40   Link #6
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

This might be slightly off-topic, but I've noticed previous search results on these forums showing up on search engines like Google from time to time. I even found the results from one of my own searches on Google once, several days after I did it. Are search results stored for some time after being initiated?
Old 2004-03-09, 19:08   Link #7
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Is that how the vBulletin system works? It seems to be a lot less efficient than say, a SELECT LIKE/NOT LIKE statement using MySQL.
Any search on that amout of data would be quite inefficient without an index. MySQL handles most of this automatically, you "only" need to create an appropriate index-field, maybe tweak the max word length and the stoplist and use "MATCH ... AGAINST ...."
Old 2004-03-09, 19:24   Link #8
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
This might be slightly off-topic, but I've noticed previous search results on these forums showing up on search engines like Google from time to time. I even found the results from one of my own searches on Google once, several days after I did it. Are search results stored for some time after being initiated?
I searched my name "Superchop" and all my search results linked me to every one of my posts here on AS...

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-10, 14:56   Link #9
Megane
Sleepy Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
Glad you mentioned Google, AG3. Google actually offers a half-solution to the problem of not being able to search for small strings. If you use site:forums.animesuki.com as a search parameter, you can use Google's engine instead of vBulletins to search the AS forums. For example, you could search for threads about the ROD OVA like this:

site:forums.animesuki.com ROD OVA

I've seen several sites that have search utilities that "borrow" Google like this. I wonder how easy it might be to implement something like that? The only drawback is that the search index Google uses might not be as up to date compared to our own. It all depends on how often they crawl the forums.
Old 2004-03-11, 10:58   Link #10
Megane
Sleepy Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megane
While we're here, I'll tag on a friendly reminder that it would be nice to be able to do 2 seaches a minute rather than 1 every 35 seconds. I'm not at all familiar with vBulletin's code, so I don't know how much of a job these tweaks might be...
It seems that the length of time between searches has been reduced from 35 seconds to 10, as mentioned by xris in this thread.
Old 2004-12-11, 14:02   Link #11
UzumakiKitsu
Foxy Ninja

Search Function...

Is Search working? I've tried to search for a topic I know exists twice now, and both times Search has returned just a blank page.

I don't want to cause trouble by making a new thread about an existing topic, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go wade through 129 pages of threads just to find the one that I'm looking for...

Anyway, just curious if it's working for anyone else.
UzumakiKitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 14:06   Link #12
xris
Just call me Ojisan

More info would help.

What words are you searching on, if it's something like "Naruto", then the search would take longer and maybe it's just timing out.

Have you tried Advanced Search of just the Search drop down option?

BTW, it's been working for me OK and I've been using it during the day with no problems.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 14:08   Link #13
UzumakiKitsu
Foxy Ninja

I'll check it on some other topics, or with advanced search. I really just wanted to see if anyone else was able to get it working. It probably WAS just timing out. Thanks.
Old 2004-12-11, 14:15   Link #14
UzumakiKitsu
Foxy Ninja

Meh. I can get it to return a "no matches found," but I can't get it to return anything otherwise.

Basically, I'm looking for some threads on Naruto forum-based RPGs. There was one in particular that I posted in maybe two months ago, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. Don't remember the title of the thread or anything. I've tried "Naruto RPG," "Naruto forum RPG" and so on and so forth, keeping going until I got so specific that it started saying "no matches found."

I'm just thinking I'm going to make a fresh post. I know we're trying to keep forum clutter to a minimum here, but when advertising for a site it's nice to have a fresh topic rather than to post at the end of someone else's dead topic.
Old 2004-12-11, 14:23   Link #15
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Do you mean this thread?

Naruto RPG(DnD style)
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 14:54   Link #16
UzumakiKitsu
Foxy Ninja

Nope. Thanks for the idea, though. I'll just search through my old posts or something. ^_^
Old 2006-07-12, 19:31   Link #17
GuilewasNK

Search function broken?

Everytime I try to search the forum I get a white screen. This happens in Firefox and IE. I don't know if this has been mentioned before since there is no way I can search for it.

EDIT:

It only seems to happen when I try to search for Read or Die. Nevermind.

Last edited by GuilewasNK; 2006-07-12 at 19:44.
GuilewasNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-13, 04:15   Link #18
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

1) All of Read or Die (OVA+TV) is licensed, so you won't find it on AnimeSuki

2) This works for me: http://www.rpguru.com/search.php?query=Read+or+Die

3) Next time, try a mirror, if it also doesn't work on a mirror, then I consider it a glitch in the scripts.
Old 2006-07-13, 05:09   Link #19
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

He was refering to the Forum...
I also got the white screen... when serching for read...
Is this some kind of forum glitch... like "con" is in windows...
Old 2006-07-13, 06:26   Link #20
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Ah.... oops. Anyway forum problems like that aren't something I can do much about.

Also... I don't have any problems searching for "read" ("or" is considered to be a search
directive and not a keyword, and "die" is below the minimum keyword length of 4 characters btw)