AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2006-07-14, 05:51   Link #21
xris
Just call me Ojisan

This is a known problem (to me at least) with the search feature with vB.

If you search for a very common word, then the search feature "times out" and returns a white screen. What you need to do is try using a different search with a word that maybe isn't so common, for example if you searched on "read" then I would expect a white screen to be returned.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-14, 18:15   Link #22
GuilewasNK

Yeah, I was just searching the DVD forum to see if a thread on the Read or Die OVA had already been made. I just had a question about some playback issues. A friend of mine on another forum helped me out though.

Thanks for the replies though.
GuilewasNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-18, 20:26   Link #23
Mb81

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
This is a known problem (to me at least) with the search feature with vB.

If you search for a very common word, then the search feature "times out" and returns a white screen. What you need to do is try using a different search with a word that maybe isn't so common, for example if you searched on "read" then I would expect a white screen to be returned.
So far i know that is a memory problem which can happen with too low mysql packet send. Though.. i donīt get that problem when i search ?
Old 2006-07-19, 09:52   Link #24
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If you search with anything and has a word with 3 or less alphabets, the search will fail and return you with a white screen.

Also you can't search with anything else except for alphabets. No numerals, no symbols, no full-stops, commas etc.

I learnt this when I tried searching for posts where people mentioned my username: C.A.

The fullstops in my name prevents search results.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 10:42   Link #25
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
If you search with anything and has a word with 3 or less alphabets, the search will fail and return you with a white screen.
This is a different issue than the one I was referring to. The forum has been set to ignore searches with three or less characters (the "Search Index Minimum Word Length" is set to 4). You can get round this by adding a wild card "*" to the word. So if you want to search for "ova" you search for "ova*" (actually this is a bad example because I included "ost" and "ova" to the exception list). Maybe a better example would be "dvd*" which returns the maximum 500 entries or "mfi*" which returns 10.

The non-alphanumerics can cause problems as you have noticed. Something we have to live with
Old 2006-07-19, 17:07   Link #26
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Ah, yes I see, I was confused between the white screen and "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 11:21   Link #27
molitar

search is broken

Well when I try to do a search it's broken. Hope someone fixes this soon.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 11:23   Link #28
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

Which search: site or forum? and how is it broken / what is wrong with it? Can you give us an example?
Also, if you are talking about the forum, which server are you using when you have the problems (see the "You are using server number ..." message at the bottom of the page).
Old 2006-09-05, 16:17   Link #29
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

*looks at eks-ris*
*lol*
Put your tin-foil-hat back on

//seriousness on
It's not broken it just appears bellow Quick Post... here's a pic (server 6 BTW)
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Misc/Error.jpg
Old 2007-09-03, 08:35   Link #30
4as
ForUs

Send a message via MSN to 4as
Search for "Wonder"

Maybe it is not a big deal, but I found it quite weird ;0
You can't search for word "wonder", presumably being too short or too common.
Is it REALLY that common?
How am I suppose to find if anyone discussed game called "Piece of Wonder? ;S
4as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 09:46   Link #31
cyth
ふひひ

Try a domain specific search on Google. The syntax is word site:domain.com. So if you want to search for the word 'wonder' on this forum, try searching wonder site:forums.animesuki.com. "piece of wonder" site:forums.animesuki.com returns no search hits though. ;(
Old 2007-09-03, 14:41   Link #32
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I use just site:animesuki.com since it brings up both the forums and the main site.

You can search for a multi-word phrase by enclosing it in quotes like this: 'piece of wonder'.

That said, a search for "site:animesuki.com 'piece of wonder'" returns a lot of One Piece entries on the first page. A global search on Google for 'piece of wonder' turns up lots of hits, but none on Anime Suki.

I had trouble recently bringing up the Angel Heart thread by searching. There are a couple of tricks you can use though. Here's a couple that Pellisier sent me in a PM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanks, Pelly
1) This thread lists all the series and links to their discussion. The only trouble is that it isn't always up to date (due to the impressive work needed to do it).

2) Alternatively, you can go on the series page of the main site. Here you'll find unlicensed series only so if a series isn't here you'll know that it is either licensed either produced by MFI. Clicking on the series' name, you'll enter on the page of its torrents. Above, where it says "more info", you'll also find the link to the forum's discussion.
Another technique is to click on the "Thread" link at the top of a forum listing. This will sort the threads alphabetically. You can then use the page number navigation buttons to zero in on the title you seek. I used this approach with the Games forum but didn't find any references to "Piece of Wonder" among the P's.
Old 2007-09-03, 14:53   Link #33
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
You can search for a multi-word phrase by enclosing it in quotes like this: 'piece of wonder'.

That said, a search for "site:animesuki.com 'piece of wonder'" returns a lot of One Piece entries on the first page.
Because 'something something' is invalid. Your search is equivalent to: piece of wonder site:animesuki.com

The correct form is only "something something".
Old 2007-09-03, 15:00   Link #34
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Really? I always thought " and ' had to be treated equivalently since there are people in other locales that use single quotes where Americans use double quotes and the reverse. (I believe Germany and some other European countries use quotes this way. Perhaps Jinto Lin can help us out here.)

Does Google interpret queries differently depending on the "locale" of the browser making the request? I don't think anything is sent during the HTTP exchange that would indicate locales, though I haven't read the RFCs for HTTP recently. I suppose Google could decide based on the IP address of the machine sending the query.
Old 2007-09-03, 15:02   Link #35
xris
Just call me Ojisan

The other trick when using the vB search feature is to search using wild cards (in other words, add an asterisk (*) at the end of the word).

I tried searching the Games forum for wonder* piece* and it came back with 10 results. Adding an asterisk at the end of the word (make sure there isn't a space between the word and the asterisk) works when searching for common words and it also allows you to search for three letter words.
Old 2009-06-11, 22:18   Link #36
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Hmmm, I'm trying to search for X (TV) but it seems to not be within the ability of the search function to recognize anything less than 4 characters. I tried different keywords ( e.g., X anime, X clamp) as title search only, but no luck. So I tried character names and searching entire posts, but that produced far too many results.

I tried the google method mentioned in this thread, but no luck either.

I don't want to start a new thread if one (undoubtedly) already exists, so if a mod or someone who is more adept at the search function could link me, it would be much appreciated!
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 23:11   Link #37
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaMiaka View Post
I don't want to start a new thread if one (undoubtedly) already exists, so if a mod or someone who is more adept at the search function could link me, it would be much appreciated!
Here you go:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...nime+tv+series
Old 2009-06-12, 05:17   Link #38
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

The forum's own search option is very limited. Google is more powerful: searching for "site:forums.animesuki.com x tv" lead to the right thread as first result.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 07:15   Link #39
monster

The wild card doesn't seem to work anymore.

Ex:
Searching for naruto returns 500 results.
Searching for nar* returns no result.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 02:40   Link #40
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
The wild card doesn't seem to work anymore.

Ex:
Searching for naruto returns 500 results.
Searching for nar* returns no result.
Can't seem to replicate that. If I search for nar* in the quick search it simply searches for "nar", which does return a lot of results.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote