AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-05-01, 20:55   Link #101
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I am only up to 2nd episode and the current direction the show is going it will end up becoming my favorite all time anime , A few shows can successfully dictate a lazy pace and still manage to be interesting . Wrong choice of words ? best described your drawn into the pace of the show . The shows which have managed to do it successfully were Mushishi and Sky Crawler . Saraiya Goyou does that too and beauty of it your to drawn into the story to notice it . There was lot of character development in this epsiode and good to say all character were given development . And the new characters introduced were equally enticing and intriguing . Cant wait to watch Episode 3 wondering what the new characters will get in the mix .

On a side note character designs of Yaichi looked very familiar for me . I couldn't place where but I had seen such character designs in terms of fan arts before . Couple of years back there was this fan art site called Soul Milk (defunct)

They had this one fan art with extremely similar design . Don't know whether its an art style ?

Old 2010-05-01, 22:01   Link #102
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm very pleased with this season on the whole - lots of good shows, including several that are fairly original and not indicative of recent trends in anime. But I've been waiting for one to break out and show the potential to be truly great, and I think this is the one. It has everything I want - beautiful production values, great music and acting, and insanely smart writing. It's slow-paced and stubbornly opaque, and I suspect it's not going to be especially popular, but that's no knock against its quality in my book. The Mushishi and Zettai Shounen elements have been forward, but it also reminds me a bit of - dare I say it - Seirei no Moribito. Those three names - that's some pretty fine company right there.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 06:01   Link #103
Sol Falling

Just saw episode 3. This show has got a rather quirky naming sense for its episode titles, and I gotta admit, I thought this one was rather brilliant. "Gradually get him involved". lol, not quite sure how to describe the humour I found in it...perhaps, I could call it 'an ironic restatement of the obvious'?

The kid, too. His cute careless enthusiasm somehow made me laugh. I think it was the cognitive contrast with how obvious it was that it'd end badly for Masa.

The randomness of the segue into the ending flashback was also pretty amusing.

Though as to the rest of the episode. There is indeed something special about this production's tone. While I was chuckling at the bold irrevelance of the sidetrack into the flashback, as for the flashback itself, the starkness of the way it plainly and casually tore apart young Ichi's existence was quite something to behold. His muffled sobs felt viscerally real. Similarly, I also liked (or thought I liked) the brief sequence in the first half which culminated in Yaichi's "I'll tell him then". Unnatural though it was, that conversation reached a pitch of deliberate and theatrical concision that rather struck me.

Heh. Anyway, I'm still liking Matsu from this episode. Wandering samurai dude (Yagi, was it?), though, kinda got a downgrade. lol, a 'leech', huh? I just hope he backs up that appraising samurai talk with some skillz.

On the comparisons to other anime. Er, it's kinda complicated for now, but basically I'd just like to note that I disagree with the Mushishi comparisons. This show is highly character focused--it's pacing is very deliberate, and the focus is very strongly on their interactions. Mushishi's central character, on the other hand, was pretty much nature--the abundance of still shots and organic pacing was designed to fill us with a natural wonder, not insight. The tone of these two series, for me, feels almost completely different.
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 24/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2010-05-02 at 06:20.
Sol Falling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 22:26   Link #104
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
On the comparisons to other anime. Er, it's kinda complicated for now, but basically I'd just like to note that I disagree with the Mushishi comparisons. This show is highly character focused--it's pacing is very deliberate, and the focus is very strongly on their interactions. Mushishi's central character, on the other hand, was pretty much nature--the abundance of still shots and organic pacing was designed to fill us with a natural wonder, not insight. The tone of these two series, for me, feels almost completely different.
Wow, that's a great point. I think the reasons this show has been likened to Mushishi is that 1) it neither surges ahead on a wave of adrenaline, nor bubbles along with a succession of jokes, and 2) it successfully creates an atmosphere removed from our modern expectations. As you point out, however, the purpose in doing these things is quite different, with Mushishi having a mystical, or fairytale-like tone that really isn't intended to dig into the complexities of lives spent in close proximity and moral ambiguity.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 08:30   Link #105
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

No wonder I cant find the damn thread lol
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 16:24   Link #106
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Wow, that's a great point. I think the reasons this show has been likened to Mushishi is that 1) it neither surges ahead on a wave of adrenaline, nor bubbles along with a succession of jokes, and 2) it successfully creates an atmosphere removed from our modern expectations. As you point out, however, the purpose in doing these things is quite different, with Mushishi having a mystical, or fairytale-like tone that really isn't intended to dig into the complexities of lives spent in close proximity and moral ambiguity.
I don't really think the show is much like Mushishi either just the main character does look a bit like Ginko and it makes use of pretty backgrounds like Mushishi.

Otherwise plot and character wise it doesn't remind me of Mushishi at all.
Old 2010-05-03, 22:08   Link #107
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

The feeling.. the calming experience when watching .. with a bit of excitement.. it can feel a bit like Mushishi.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 22:43   Link #108
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Hmmm.... of course, comparing this to Mushi-shi could be an excuse to justify slow pacing.

I don't find this show calming at all. It's more like Yaichi is slowly constricting the air out of Masa like a python, slowly dragging Masa down to dark side. It's fascinating to watch the manipulation.
Old 2010-05-03, 23:14   Link #109
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I didn't especially find Mushishi calming. There was a sense of dread underlying a lot of what happened, and most of the characters were terribly unhappy. It was certainly atmospheric, and that's what it has in common with this show for me - an amazing ability to make you feel like you're really inhabiting another place and time (the music helps a lot). That and a sense of taking its time to get where it's going. That's why I also bring Zettai Shounen (same director) into the discussion - nothing feels rushed and the atmospherics are off the charts.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 12:03   Link #110
White Manju Bun
What would you know!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

I don't find this show calming at all. It's more like Yaichi is slowly constricting the air out of Masa like a python, slowly dragging Masa down to dark side. It's fascinating to watch the manipulation.

Maybe this will pan out more like Mononoke, the first 1-2 epis of the arcs were normally kinda calm, setting up what would happen in the epi arc. Thinking mostly along the lines of Nue or Noppera-bō.

The python is a nice analogy.
- 11th Doctor.

Many thanks to kaigan
for the sig.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 15:49   Link #111
Haak
Forever Alone...

Finally managed to watch episode three, and i have to say, the character designs have finally grown on me. The plot is really getting more and more interesting too (though when i first saw the kid, i immediately knew he was going to be kidnapped).

My only gripe is that it just seems too slow.
Old 2010-05-05, 21:08   Link #112
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
My only gripe is that it just seems too slow.
I feel Zettai Shonen is a lot slower as there are some moments when I just want to fast forward, but compare to say ... Bakemonogatari or YoShinKei this definitely feels a bit slow, but it's enough to capture my attention full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I have a slightly different feeling. Everything feels pretty predetermined just because Yaichi is the type of character who exudes an all-knowing aura and everything is going as planned (and even if deviations occur it would faze him a bit). From Masa's past, his faith and spirit seemed to been sucked out of him by the betrayl. While this is definitely not calming, I don't feel huge unsettlings brewing underneath ... yet.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 04:59   Link #113
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 04:
Old 2010-05-07, 07:52   Link #114
Haak
Forever Alone...

Episode 5.

Honestly this episode felt a little boring. Atleast we learned a few things but isn't there more to this storyline than just the characters? I don't mind the characters being the focus but i don't want them to be the sole focus...
Old 2010-05-07, 10:24   Link #115
Raiza Sunozaki
Sorcerer of Uncertainty

I only watched this show out of mild curiousity, but it's quickly become one my favourite shows out of the new anime season. I like the unusual art style, slow-paced writing, and well-written characters. It's more of a historical piece than an action or comedy anime, but I feel it suits the show very nicely.

On a side note, I'm surprised this series has been licensed so quickly.
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 15:12   Link #116
Casshern

I just love the OP song! So cute!
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 17:26   Link #117
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Episode 5.

Honestly this episode felt a little boring. Atleast we learned a few things but isn't there more to this storyline than just the characters? I don't mind the characters being the focus but i don't want them to be the sole focus...
The show might prove me wrong later on, but I've been expecting the show to be character-driven since the very beginning. Personally I don't mind it at all, I love learning more about Yaichi and the other Five leaves members little by little. I find the characters fascinating, especially Yaichi. I hope we'll also get to learn more about Masa's past.

A bit disappointed we didn't see more of Yaichi's past in this episode, but on the other hand it added to his character. I loved when he asked that question to Masa: "are you interested in my character? or my past?" As much as I wanted to learn more of his past, Masa gave the right answer, I think. Now we know for sure that Yaichi isn't kidnapping people only for the money, there is something more to it for him. Most likely related to his childhood, the kid in episode 3 was in a similar situation as himself after all.

Next episode, we'll see how the Five leaves were formed. The flashbacks aren't made very obvious in this anime, once again there is no transitation, it just cuts to a scene with a green filter. That doesn't really bother me, but something else does: this episode made me realize I can't tell any of the female characters apart save for Okinu since she's younger. I swear they all look exactly the same. It's not like there is a lot of important female characters, but it's still kind of annoying.
Old 2010-05-08, 13:01   Link #118
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

"Edo Disease" otherwise known as "beriberi" was a vitamin deficiency arising from a diet based largely on milled white rice. After milling and washing, the rice had little vitamin content, particularly B-vitamins. Milled rice was more commonly eaten in the cities than in the countryside, establishing the connection that gave beriberi the name "Edo disease." The linked article quotes a contemporary observer who reported that sufferers from the disease usually died from paralysis and exhaustion after six months to three years.
Old 2010-05-08, 13:09   Link #119
Haak
Forever Alone...

Hmm, maybe it was just a little bit lacking in developing the characters, but I can't see why. I don't know.

Well, it's funny coincidence that Yaichi gaves the same line this episode about Masa that Izaya in Durarara!! gave last episode about Shizuo - "This guy is smarter than he looks. I like it better when he's dumb".
Old 2010-05-08, 18:04   Link #120
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Thanks to SeijiSensei for the info about "Edo disease." It gives a little edge of seriousness to the need for Masu to really join the group soon and start eating better.

Ep4 didn't bore me for a second. Maybe there weren't many actual events, but this is one of those shows where there is always something happening below the surface, in future possibility, in past background, in the air, in the images, in the music. Definitely heading for "masterpiece" territory if it keeps going this way, for me.

I feel as if I know several characters better: Yaichi, Masu, Matsu, Otake, the girls and their madam. Even Ume and Okinu, a bit. And it seems as if we will see the origin of the group next week.

Haak makes an interesting point about Yaichi and Izaya saying the same thing. And both about strong fighters. I wonder if there is a third, common source.

EDIT: To add to Sol Falling's following post without adding a post, I was struck by Masu's secret thought that if he stayed around, he could learn more about Yaichi. His fascination with him does have an interesting romantic undertone. I wonder if his attitude toward the women was meant to give a similar BL-ish hint.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-05-08 at 19:24.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jidaigeki, manglobe, noitamina, seinen