AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-02-02, 09:25   Link #1
james0246

82nd annual Academy Award Nominations and Awards Discussion

It's that time of year again. Oscar Time. The nominations were released just an hour ago, and some pleasant surprises mixed with some silly and obvious choices (i.e. a regular year) make up this year’s nominations.

Here is the complete list of the nominees:

Spoiler for List of nominees...:

Last edited by james0246; 2010-02-02 at 09:50. Reason: better list released...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 09:28   Link #2
Ansalem
Speaker

Already I see an excellent point in these nominations, which is that an animated film, Up, has a nomination for best picture. I believe this is a first, yes? As there is a Best Animated Feature, they usual are all relegated to that only.
Old 2010-02-02, 09:31   Link #3
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
Already I see an excellent point in these nominations, which is that an animated film, Up, has a nomination for best picture. I believe this is a first, yes?
The second, actually. Beauty and the Beast (1991) was the first animated feature to be nominated for Best Picture (it lost to Silence of the Lambs).
Old 2010-02-02, 09:33   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Money on, (in order above)
"Avatar"
George Clooney, "Up in the Air"
Sandra Bullock, "The Blind Side"
Christoph Waltz, "Inglourious Basterds"
Penelope Cruz, "Nine"
James Cameron, "Avatar"
Old 2010-02-02, 09:34   Link #5
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
The second, actually. Beauty and the Beast (1991) was the first animated feature to be nominated for Best Picture (it lost to Silence of the Lambs).
Hmm. I did not remember that. In any case, I suppose the additional five slots gives them a little more leeway to have a variety of pictures.
Old 2010-02-02, 14:46   Link #6
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
"Avatar"
Penelope Cruz, "Nine"
James Cameron, "Avatar"
Indeed, I'd have said the same. Avatar's definitely gonna win a lot of those nominations if not all of them.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 14:59   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Not to rain on things... but at this point in my life I don't think I've ever cared *less* about the various Hollywood award systems.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 16:52   Link #8
james0246

I don't have a lot of time right now, but I will go through and post all my picks over the course of the day...

This is an interesting year for the Academy Awards. With the re-introduction of the 10 film nominees for Best Picture, several underappreciated films ("District 9", "An Education, and "A Serious Man") managed to find their way to a top position. Not to mention, 4 Sci-Fi/Fantasy films managed top nominations ("Avatar", "Up", "Inglourious Basterds" and "District 9") and an Action film ("Hurt Locker"). Additionally, The Directing Award saw the first female nominee (Kathryn Bigelow) as well as the second African-American nominee (Lee Daniels). In fact, overall, the Academy has continued their (too) slow push toward racial and gender equality amongst the nominations with the inclusion of Gabourey Sidibe and Mo’Nique (Best Actress and Supporting-Actress for “Precious"), Penélope Cruz (Supporting-Actress in "9"), Morgan Freeman (Actor in "Invictus"), and various other nominees in the technical awards. This isn't really the best group of nominees I have seen, but there are some damn good choices, and if even a few of those films win, then this will have been a good year for the Academy.

Spoiler for Long...:

Last edited by james0246; 2010-02-02 at 17:50.
Old 2010-02-02, 17:59   Link #9
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

The movies I am rooting for are The Hurt Locker and Inglourious Basterds . Most of the other movies I wouldn't pay to watch them . I miss classic Hollywood where commercial cinema was Oscar worthy .
Old 2010-02-02, 18:11   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
Most of the other movies I wouldn't pay to watch them.
People who've watched Avatar in non-3D effect medium say its crap, mediocre at best (typically), the people who did watch it with 3D glasses (etc) think it was mediocre at worse. Avatar is probably interesting because unlike some of your average Hollywood production on the big screen with 3D glasses and loud sound is really the only proper way to watch it -- at least until we can get convenient mass produced and available 3D tech at home anyway, which doesn't seem that far off.

That said, I feel its closer to a demo/experiment to be honest; I like when action evolves the characters not some cheesy love story.
Old 2010-02-02, 18:14   Link #11
Irkalla
I asked for this

I demand an Oscar for Hans Landa, gosh, that guy was brilliant!!
Old 2010-02-02, 18:30   Link #12
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaseka View Post
I demand an Oscar for Hans Landa, gosh, that guy was brilliant!!
Yeah Landa (Christoph Waltz) deserves all the glory and gold . But unfortunately the Oscar selection committee mostly consists of people associated with cinema . Then the people involved with making actual cinema . You have producers journalist critics and there is lot of back room agenda .

Personally the only award ceremony which can be taken seriously is Cannes . Popular and Commercial actors/movies who have done justice to there roles rarely get the deserved accolades .
Old 2010-02-02, 18:46   Link #13
james0246

^Nearly a quarter of all members of the Academy are Actors. They represent the largest voting bloc in the Academy. Next are Film Technicians - Sound editors and Sound effects personal, Cinematographers, Visual Effects artist (computer or other), Camera personal, etc. After then is either the Directors and Writers, or the Producers and Studio Executives (it is unclear which is larger). The Journalist, critics, and film historians represent the smallest voting bloc.
Old 2010-02-02, 19:03   Link #14
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
or the Producers and Studio Executives (it is unclear which is larger). The Journalist, critics, and film historians represent the smallest voting bloc.
These people don't simply belong in the voting committee ....

Or nothing can explain Benicio del Toro not even being nominated for Óscar Zeta Acosta from Fear & Loathing . And this is just one example of several .
Old 2010-02-03, 22:57   Link #15
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I kind of hope Avatar doesn't win best picture. I like the movie, but I'm sick of the copious amounts of hype/praise it is getting. Its strength is the visuals. The acting is good and the plot is okay. It is a visual masterpiece and features the best 3D effects in a movie to this date...that is the thing, it is a visual masterpiece relative to what we have achieved so far. Okay, so that is the technical aspect of it. Aesthetically, it is also great. I like the movie, but its success and praise is just crazy through the roof, if you ask me. Maybe it is like someone liking a radio hit but then when they hear it many times on the radio every day and then that music artist wins a bunch of grammies that person is like "Okay, this is too much >.>". Something like that, perhaps?
Old 2010-02-03, 23:55   Link #16
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Avatar should win best CG or whatever that award is, but winning best picture? I sure hope not. Take off the technology and the film is unremarkable.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 00:27   Link #17
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Avatar should win best CG or whatever that award is, but winning best picture? I sure hope not. Take off the technology and the film is unremarkable.
Yeah, the last part that you said. Its real strength is the visuals. The aesthetics of it are really good, but I'd put Princess Mononoke over it (I'd put it over it for better film, actually). Take away the technology and the movie that remains is not best picture material, for sure.
Old 2010-02-04, 01:45   Link #18
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I have know idea why this is still going on all they do is wasnt a lot of money on one night when all those movies are so forget a bull
Old 2010-02-04, 03:33   Link #19
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
"Avatar"
Penelope Cruz, "Nine"
James Cameron, "Avatar"
nice predictions

i agree with you on the following
Penelope Cruz, "Nine"
James Cameron, "Avatar"

but for best actor it will be either Clooney or Jeremy Renner for "The Hurt Locker"

but i dont think Avatar will be best picture i think the Hurt Locker will beat it.
Old 2010-02-04, 16:01   Link #20
james0246

Here are my picks for the Actress and Supporting-Actress nominations...

Spoiler for Actress and Supporting-Actress Nominations: